Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treated myself to some Comté, some Vacherin Mont d'Or, (nice and almost liquid), and a slice of Stilton (coming into its seasonal best), and Bleu des Causses (which is the cow's milk version of Roquefort, which is made from sheep's milk), earlier today, when I visited the cheesemonger.

The Gorgonzola did not appeal - personally, I like it ripe and runny, not solidly shivering on a surprisingly cold Saturday.

Last edited:

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Tonight is the first time I've seen this thread, and it needs to stay on my "Watched" list.
My local supermarket chain installed "cheese kiosks" in their stores about ten years ago, featuring 125 or so different varities. A gold mine to me (but remember, I live in white-bread Utah, not NYC or 'Frisco). About two years ago there was massive remodeling and those kiosks were tripled in size (deli meats added) and I've been in heaven since.

Recently I've gotten tired of paying $8 for a "bagel-n-lox" at the local Einstein's, and since I'm retired and love to cook, I started experimenting with making my own. I'm now happy with my cured-and-cold-smoked novalox, and am gradually zeroing in on a good bagel recipe/technique, but making my own cream cheese... wow, that's a deeeep rabbit hole! If you call up the top 25 cream cheese recipe videos on EweTube, you'll have 25 completely different cream cheese recipes.

The first one I tried was 2 parts whole milk, 1 part cream, heated to 190˚, then lemon juice added, kill the heat, and stir until you saw lumps of curds and watery whey. Strain thru buttercloth (a tighter weave than cheesecloth), ball up and squeeze hard, and let hang/ferment overnight at room temp to drain the remaining whey. Final cream cheese was noticeably better than Kraft's "Philadelphia", but a lot of work.
Second one I tried was so much easier: 1 pint of heavy cream into a Tupperware, stir in 3 Tblspns cultured buttermilk, then let sit out overnight (no heating). I stirred it once before going to bed, no change; next morning, stirred again and it was noticeably thicker, stirred again at noon and at 6 pm (adding salt and minced chives), then into the frig (no straining!) This stuff was delicious, but never firmed up as much as cream cheese; it had more of the consistency of sour cream and maybe that's what it was. Still delicious on bagels/lox.

Oh, and @Scepticalscribe, how did you like the Tallegio (previous page)? I loved it, but the morning after I opened it I could smell it when I woke up, the whole house was permeated with that funk, even though it was tightly wrapped and in the frig. Stanky, but damn it was tasty!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight is the first time I've seen this thread, and it needs to stay on my "Watched" list.
It is a wonderful thread, and delighted to see someone else join those of us are passionate about good cheese.

Oh, and @Scepticalscribe, how did you like the Tallegio (previous page)? I loved it, but the morning after I opened it I could smell it when I woke up, the whole house was permeated with that funk, even though it was tightly wrapped and in the frig. Stanky, but damn it was tasty!

Very often, those aromatic cheeses will taste absolutely amazing.

Anyway, Taleggio is a wonderful cheese, - I love the taste and the texture - and, in my experience, it is at its best around this time of year, when it is nice and ripe.

In Europe, especially in speciality stores, cheesemongers, or a really good deli, you will be able to obtain raw milk cheeses, which sometimes have an amazingly intense flavour.

An aside: I assume that "lox" and "nova lox" are versions of (smoked) salmon? These are not terms that we are familiar with, in Europe.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
In Europe, especially in speciality stores, cheesemongers, or a really good deli, you will be able to obtain raw milk cheeses, which sometimes have an amazingly intense flavour.

An aside: I assume that "lox" and "nova lox" are versions of (smoked) salmon? These are not terms that we are familiar with, in Europe.
We soon figured out that European ice cream was so much better, I guess for the same reason (ultimate high school band trip in 1978).

I thought "lox" referred to any prepared salmon; gravlox is simply cured in salt/sugar/herbs for a few days, then when its smoked it becomes "novalox". It was invented by American Jews in the early 1900s in response to the-then new and super-popular brunch dish "Eggs Benedict, which is delicious but not at all kosher.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We soon figured out that European ice cream was so much better, I guess for the same reason (ultimate high school band trip in 1978).
Natural milk and cream, yes.

Italian ice-cream is superb, and somewhat improbably, so was ice-cream in the old Soviet Union (because they still used the old-fashioned methods - i.e. frozen cream - from the manufacture of ice-cream in the 1920s).

I thought "lox" referred to any prepared salmon; gravlox is simply cured in salt/sugar/herbs for a few days, then when its smoked it becomes "novalox". It was invented by American Jews in the early 1900s in response to the-then new and super-popular brunch dish "Eggs Benedict, which is delicious but not at all kosher.
Thanks for that.

In European languages, "lachs", or "lax" (found in terms such as "gravadlax", which is what you have described as "gravlox") is the term used for salmon in Germanic and Scandinavian languages.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today, I treated myself to a few cheeses:

Two blues: Bleu d'Auvergne, and Birbablu.

Hard cheeses: Queso de Cabra al Romero (a stunning, rosemary wrapped goat's cheese from the Basque country), and some Raclette which can be eaten as a cheese, and not just served melted.

Semi-soft: Vacherin Mont d'or, and Époisses.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When visiting the farmers' market on a pouring wet morning, I called into the cheesemonger to pick up the organic milk and organic double cream they had put aside for me.

While there, I also purchased some cheese, and some redcurrant jelly.

Cheeses purchases included: Two blues, both from Italy: Gorgonzola, and Birbablu (a splendid beer washed cheese from Italy).

Soft cheeses: Camembert Rustique and Vacherin Mont d'Or from France.

And a semi-hard cheese, a quite lovely one that I haven't had (or seen) before: Aarewasser, from Switzerland.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Chimay cheese - that Trappist delight - has made an appearance in my cheesemonger's.

So, Chimay, and some Pecorino Romano, along with a splendid Swiss Alpine cheese - one that I have never encountered before, - that goes by the name of Aettis, were all purchased, along with my organic milk and organic double cream, which had been kept for me.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treated myself to some cheese today:

Two blues from Italy: A glorious Gorgonzola Cremosa (an oozing, almost liquid in part, cheese), and Birbablu, a blue cheese washed in beer.

Chimay, a (Belgian) washed rind cheese made by the legendary brewery of the same name.

Some splendid Époisses (ridiculously and gloriously ripe), a flavour of France.

And two hard cheeses: Aarewasser, (a gorgeous cheese from Switzerland), and Queso al Romero, a stunning sheep's cheese, wrapped in rosemary, from Spain.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treated myself to a little Gorgonzola Cremosa, (an oozing, almost liquid, blue cheese from Italy), a seasonal Brie with truffles (which was also strangely liquid), and some Camembert Rustique, - both from France, and both wonderfully liquid.

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
We had a raclette last week, because it’s getting so cold. First of the year and it was excellent! Morbier and others I don’t remember.
IMG_2023-12-02-204746.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We had a raclette last week, because it’s getting so cold. First of the year and it was excellent! Morbier and others I don’t remember.
View attachment 2320196
Morbier and Raclette (which is a surprisingly good cheese for eating, and not simply for melting), I recognise, and love.

What is the cheese with holes - and - is it Fenugreek seeds?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It’s mustard grain, actually. It’s very good and common in France, this type of cheese for raclette.
Ah, this is something I haven't come across.

How does it differ from 'standard' Raclette, in terms of taste?

My cheesemonger did acquire some smoked Raclette - which I didn't much care for - but, I am partial to "ordinary', or 'standard' Raclette.

Moreover, at this time of year, to a far greater extent than is normal, one does encounter seasonal specialties in cheese, often with herbs, dried fruit, or spices, (or truffles) as part of the cheese.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
It’s not that spicy, it just gives a nutty taste.

We tried also a spicy cheese and it was surprisingly great! It’s not common in France, I often saw spicy cheese abroad than here.

I’ll try to find the references if I ever go back to the shop.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was out of cheese (well, not cheese such as Pecorino Romano, or Parmigiano Reggiano, for cooking), but standard cheese, the sort of cheese you greedily and happily devour.

A visit to the cheesemonger's remedied that deficiency:

Thus, some cheese was bought.

Blues included Gorgonzola Cremosa, (a stunning blue form Italy), and Bleu des Causses from France (basically, the cow's milk version of Roquefort).

Soft cheeses included a wonderful seasonal specialty, truffle Brie, and some Camembert Rustique, both from France, and both in that wonderful state of not quite, but almost, liquid.

And some Langres.

Then, hard cheeses included the amazing Aarewasser (from Switzerland) and Queso de Cabra al Romero, an incredible goat's cheese from Spain, wrapped in rosemary.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sometimes, at this time of the year, one may encounter some interesting cheeses, unusual cheeses that are a sort of seasonal speciality, some which are ripe - or, at their best - at around this time (Vacherin Mont d'Or, or Stilton, for example), while others are especially crafted and created for this time of year (truffle Brie, I suspect, may be one such, and, of course, some of the (white) Stiltons with dried fruit).

Last edited:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Sometimes, at this time of the year, one may encounter some interesting cheeses, unusual cheeses that are a sort of seasonal speciality, some which are ripe - or, at their best - at around this time (Vacherin Mont d'Or, or Stilton, for example), while others are especially crafted and created for this time of year (truffle Brie, I suspect, may be one such, and, of course, some of the Stiltons with dried fruit).

Thanks for the reminder. It has been ordered and will be here on the 21st.

Ordered something different this time. We usually get the pot, but this time I got a 1lb wheel. So we will see how it is.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for the reminder. It has been ordered and will be here on the 21st.

Ordered something different this time. We usually get the pot, but this time I got a 1lb wheel. So we will see how it is.

While the pot in which the (seasonal) Stilton is sold (as a tasteful dish from which to serve snacks and nibbles in the future) is usually an elegant piece of crockery, I think that you may find that the (Stilton) cheese that comes in a wheel tends to be (a considerably) better quality cheese than that which is sold in a pot.

Anyway, do enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdfan

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I meant to add that the seasonal Stiltons that come with dried fruit (cranberry and apricot tend to be two favourites) aren't blue, (not in my experience) but are, instead, this rather unusual seasonal version of a white Stilton (which is also less creamy and soft than the better known - and, better tasting, to my mind - blue version.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A box, or crate, has just arrived, from the cheesemonger, delivered by a neighbour who is also a friend of the cheesemonger's. He also received a similar box from the cheesemonger.

The crate was home to cheeses (Gorgonzola Cremosa, Stilton, Comte, Flaçon de Savoie, Valencay Petit), chutney, biscuits, (for cheese), a jar of olives, Italian salami, mortadella, a jar of cornichons, figs in sherry, Italian honey, a jar of artisan jam, a small box of exquisite French salted caramel and butter sweets, and two bottles of wine.

As has a tarte tatin, (which I love, but hadn't requested this year), baked by an award winning chef who is also a friend of the cheesemonger's; she dropped it into him to give to me.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Of the seasonal specialties, I am always partial to a good blue cheese, and Stilton tends to be especially good at this time of year.

However, one seasonal treat that I must admit I really enjoyed this year was Brie (and an almost liquid Brie, a gloriously ripe Brie) with a line of truffle (so that it resembled a liquid Morbier) through it. An exquisite seasonal treat, with the truffle conferring an incomparable taste and mouthfeel sensation.

Quite wonderful.

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.