Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Here is a real good Cheese reference app.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Gorgonzola Cremosa, when it is not quite solid but is approaching a state that is almost liquid, served with - actually, slathered on - a fresh French baguette is sublime at any time of the year, but especially during a glorious spell in summer.

Reactions: transmaster

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Purchased a few cheeses today:

Three different blue cheeses: Some Gorgonzola Dolce; Bleu des Causses and Bleu des Basques Brebis.

Morbier; Camembert Rustique; St Nectaire.

And some (young) Goat's Gouda.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I find that feta cheese is something that works best (preferably in some sort of Greek salad) in summer.

It is not a cheese that appeals during the depths of a northern European winter, but, paired with ripe tomatoes, cool cucumber, black olives, olive oil, oregano, and served under blue skies, perhaps the sea, but certainly blessed with warmth and sunshine, it is without compare.

Reactions: xodh and decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Absolutely and no bias from my Greek heritage. I do want to add that one of the nice things that have come back from pre-Covid are free samples for example at the fine food shop I was just at. Tried some Stilton (with Port) and I say it is not only my favorite British cheese but possibly my favorite blue. So hard to choose between it and Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Absolutely and no bias from my Greek heritage. I do want to add that one of the nice things that have come back from pre-Covid are free samples for example at the fine food shop I was just at. Tried some Stilton (with Port) and I say it is not only my favorite British cheese but possibly my favorite blue. So hard to choose between it and Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

Different blues for different moods, would be my recommendation.

There are days when nothing will hit the proverbial spot other than some (almost oozing) Gorgonzola Cremosa.

Bleu des Causses (a sort of cow's milk version of Roquefort - made by the same company from the same region in France) is another excellent blue, as is the wonderful Bleu d'Auvergne.

Then, there is the equally excellent Irish cheese, Cashel Blue, which is best consumed when it is exceedingly mature.

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For seriously amazing British cheeses, I recommend Stinking Bishop, which was a revelation when I first tasted it.

Another classy blue - one I really liked - is Bath Blue.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
For seriously amazing British cheeses, I recommend Stinking Bishop, which was a revelation when I first tasted it.

Another classy blue - one I really liked - is Bath Blue.

Hmm.. Stinking... Bath...

Are they trying to tell us something we don't know? 😅

BL.

• Haha

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmm.. Stinking... Bath...

Are they trying to tell us something we don't know? 😅

BL.
There are other cheeses that come complete with wonderful names from that part of the world: Lincolnshire Poacher, and a companion cheese to the superlative Stinking Bishop (I love both that cheese and its superb moniker), Cardinal Sin.

Then, there is the splendidly named Renegade Monk.

Moreover, Ireland offers a terrific washed rind cheese called Drunken Saint.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't know what it is, but the French really do have the baguette game down! We couldn't get enough of it when we were in Paris.
Yes, they do, don't they?

And when served with a creamy, or runny, or aromatic cheese, there is absolutely nothing to beat a French baguette.

Even something as banal, or ordinary, as what seems to be a standard ham sandwich - the sort you can get in a Parisian bistro - is somehow rendered into an amazing culinary delight, when served in a French baguette.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yes, they do, don't they?

And when served with a creamy, or runny, or aromatic cheese, there is absolutely nothing to beat a French baguette.

Even something as banal, or ordinary, as what seesm to be a standard ham sandwich - the sort you can get in a Parisian bistro - is somehow rendered into an amazing culinary delight, when served in a French baguette.

Yes... and yes! I can't tell you how many times we would smell the bakery, stop in, grab a loaf and walk with it. Eating it as we explored the city. Man, that was a great trip. I swear, I want to go back just for the bread! I mean don't get me wrong... the place is amazing! So much more we want to see but the bread. Delicious.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes... and yes! I can't tell you how many times we would smell the bakery, stop in, grab a loaf and walk with it. Eating it as we explored the city. Man, that was a great trip. I swear, I want to go back just for the bread! I mean don't get me wrong... the place is amazing! So much more we want to see but the bread. Delicious.
France and Italy produce and serve what we might consider everyday food exceptionally well.

Mind you, they do the gourmet stuff superbly, but - to my mind - it is their mastery of the mundane that makes them so good.

What we would consider an "ordinary" ham-and-cheese sandwich turns out to be invariably exceptionally good in places such as France or Italy when purchased in a normal café, - basically becasue the quality of the raw ingredients - the bread, the cheese, the ham is so good - and you wonder why we cannot attempt to reach this standard when at home, stranded (a telling verb, yes, I know) or marooned in our own countries and culinary cultures.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Visited the cheesemonger's for the first time in almost two months today:

Purchases included:

Guanciale: (What can I say?)

Gorgonzola Cremosa, Birbablu: Two Italian blue cheeses, the second of which is a washed rind cheese.

Pecorino Romano: (Yes, I want to cook Pasta Carbonara, and Pasta All'Amatriciana).

Aged, an amazingly aged, Gouda, the sort of aged Gouda where the colour of the cheese is burnt orange or dark auburn, the texture is crystalline rock hard, while the taste is that sublime burst of sweet and salty flavours, an explosion of flavour on your palate.

Drunken Saint: An award winning Irish washed rind cheese.

Unfortunately, the Camembert Rustique, Délice de Bourgogne, and Époisses were all still somewhat immature, hence, I didn't choose to buy them.

But, I was persuaded to purchase some Cancoillotte. Yum.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Gorgonzola Cremosa for breakfast, on rye bread, with freshly squeezed (by your humble scribe) citrus juice (oranges, lemons and grapefruit) and Colombian coffee served with organic hot milk.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today, more cheeses were purchased:

In the farmers' market, the olive oil stall:

Ricotta and mozzarella were purchased.

In the cheesemonger's: I still have Gouda, from earlier in the week.

However, I did replenish my supplies of Gorgonzola Cremosa (it was positively oozing today), and Birbablu.

To those were added some Raclette, and some Époisses (almost liquid, yum).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Breakfast (okay, a late breakfast): Yesterday's French baguette served, alternatively, with: Oozing, almost liquid, Gorgonzola Cremosa, some small balls of mozzarella sliced (served with semi-sundried tomatoes, fistfuls of shredded basil leaves and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil), ricotta with fresh fruit.

Freshly prepared coffee from the Philippines, and freshly squeezed (by me) citrus juice (a blend of orange, lemon and pink grapefruit).

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatoaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.