Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Tim had high hopes with the Apple Vision Pro but it failed spectacularly. It lacks a killer feature, it lacks a purpose, and it is just too expensive for a toy.

Apple had to cancel multiple products in order to give all resources to the development of this flop device: Apple's Car, the Charging Pad, even the iPhone mini 14 and 15 were canceled because of this.

There might even be a link to Jony Ive's departure from Apple, because he wanted nothing to do with "that stupid goggles".

Tim was chasing the pink dragon with this, now Apple is in a sort of dead end:

Phones without real innovation.

Computers with soldered 8 gigs of RAM.

Watches, that tell the world: this person is a nerdy nerd.

And Apple TV without any serious sports league.

How long can Apple survive with this Mediocrity?

Who will be the next CEO?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Any serious response to the thread's original post will suffer from Brandolini's law.
Ah, I now have a term for this! Thanks

There have been plenty of times I’ve been writing a response to someone only to stop midway and think “why am I wasting my time on someone clearly not interested in an actual discussion?”

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
One thing is certain, Tim Cook didn't have a crystal ball to know a global pandemic would hit late into the development of both the car and the AVP, nor knowledge of the price of literally everything subsequently going up after that. There's been a lot happen in just the last few years that has changed the market for big ticket purchases. I don't think even the greediest of shareholders would blame Cook for any of that.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
From 800.000 units to hoping to sell 400.000 units...

and what do they present us today? Apple Arcade on the Vision Pro.

3500$ to play Solitaire ....

Even if they came up with an X-Wing VR game, where you actually feel like you are actually taking one of these fighters into the Death Star Trench run, 3500 would be steep.

But for Solitaire ... Apple has lost all sense...

Pearple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Given these insights and the wisdom, why not mail in your resume?!
I would not be qualified.

But Jony Ive would.

Or even Frederighi.

But the bean counter's days are over. You can't just rely on the Steve Jobs innovations are ride those horses until they are dead. You have to come up with something completely unexpected, new, and well crafted.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Tim Cook’s seat is super chilled. Cool as it can be, the seat has to get many levels of warm, before he is close to being on hot seat. Saying no to Apple car has to be those decisions jobs used to imply, courage to say a hard No. given the condition of EV makers, it was tough but smart call. If Apple sells 300K Vision Pro devices, that would still be Billion dollar revenue.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Tim had high hopes with the Apple Vision Pro but it failed spectacularly. It lacks a killer feature, it lacks a purpose, and it is just too expensive for a toy.

Apple had to cancel multiple products in order to give all resources to the development of this flop device: Apple's Car, the Charging Pad, even the iPhone mini 14 and 15 were canceled because of this.

There might even be a link to Jony Ive's departure from Apple, because he wanted nothing to do with "that stupid goggles".

Grasping at that many straws won’t make it come true. Try again later.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

$5/month and you want a major sports league?

Reactions: KeithBN

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
This is what’s known as a “Gish Gallop”. Throwing so many disconnected things into a single argument that there is no hope of getting to the point.

Any serious response to the thread's original post will suffer from Brandolini's law.

Well, I came here thinking it'd be an utter waste of time - never mind that I still clicked on this thread. That's my own issue to deal with.

You, however, have turned it around and now I even learned something new. Thanks :)

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

Words, words everywhere…
Every CEO has to go at some point, so if you keep repeating this you’ll be right at some point.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Knee jerk much? Apple brought out a product (a new product at that, not just a better version of somebody else’s) that is the same price as and sells as much as the Mac Pro and all of a sudden Tim Cook’s job is on the line?!

If every company that bought out an innovative-but-low-selling product changed their CEO when it doesn’t set the world on fire then Sony would have been through half the population of Japan in the last 25 years.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
We don't know what Apple's roadmap is for AR/VR. It's been fun speculating but it will be super interesting to see how it develops over the next 5 years and we can judge Tim then.

No doubt Apple would have liked the buzz around the AVP to last longer, but realistically it's just not in enough hands and the global rollout is pretty slow and fragmented which doesn't help momentum.

Either way, sentiment will change if Apple gets an affordable mass market device out in time. The killer app could be in development as we speak. Apple has enough headsets in the hands of serious developers to roll that dice.

Any killer app will need to benefit from the network effect though, so we'll need to see Apple sell 10s if not 100s of millions of headsets to make that a reality. I'd love to see cross compatible gaming on an Apple product, Meta etc. That would really help VR take off.

Productivity is going to be niche. So hard to wear one of these and work at the same pace in the vast majority of roles and workspaces. Entertainment/social/fitness will end up being the path forward if the form factor becomes minimal I'd bet.

otozuz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I would not be qualified.

But Jony Ive would.

Or even Frederighi.
I think Federighi would make sense.

I was a big fan of Jony Ive, but I think he needed Jobs to balance him.

Without Jobs Apple became all form over function, which was apparently because of Ive’s ideas – obsession with thinness, which led to disastrous MacBook Pros.

After he left we finally got amazing laptops again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.