Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
If you could get a Mac mini with all components ready to be changed for 400-500$, it would sell like HOT CAKES!

Probably not. Most people really interested in a highly modular computer aren’t interested in a Mac, even a modular one. They’ve already got Linux and Windows project boxes to work on and configure to their hearts’ content. Second, there’s only so much change of components that can be done in a computer of the Mac mini’s form factor. Third, the PC market is pretty saturated these days, no model sells like hot cakes. If the Mac mini makes about 1% of Apple’s sales and Apple controls about 10% of the computer market, that makes the Mac mini about 0.1% of all computers sold. That probably qualifies it as one of the most popular individual models of computer (probably more popular than any one make or model of Dell computer, for instance). Even if there were high demand for a modular Mac mini, I doubt it would grow sales that substantially.

Reactions: seek3r

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Eye headsets don’t work & will never be successful because people don’t like to wear one all the time
Hence this piece
When the product was released, estimates pegged initial sales at around 200,000 units, though it’s not clear how many of those were returned. Even people who kept their devices have recently been sharing on social media that they rarely use them anymore.
I dunno about that. I wear glasses for vision correction. While there are times and places where I’d prefer just having plain old glasses, if I could see and navigate through a recipe I’m trying to prepare while my hands have, say, batter on them, or if I could see my to do list lickety split, that would have a lot of value to me (probably more than 3D movies or VR gaming, certainly more than the Metaverse).

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
eh, I'd argue the air was a big deal, it ushered in the era of "ultrabooks", which have taken over a huge chunk of the laptop market, even if we don't have that stupid name attached to them anymore.
Sorry, I think you misunderstood (so I must not have been clear enough). I agree (and forgot about the whole ultrabook business, so I will say the Air was a big deal market wide), I meant that the Air was probably the last “big deal” or “new thing” in laptops prior to Apple Silicon.

• Love
Reactions: seek3r

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
How long can Apple survive with this Mediocrity?

Who will be the next CEO?
They can survive it forever. That is how monopolies operate. They only have to be at par with what is going on in Android and Windows, and both of those are a mess in themselves.

Next CEO that Apple picks is unlikely to be any better, and might even end up screwing up operations and finances, areas where Cook has done well.

How many Steve Jobs type of CEOs do we have in the world?

How many consumer companies are executing well (customers actually excited by the product, not using it because they don’t have a choice)?

I can’t think of even one for each of the above.

Last edited:

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
They can survive it forever.

Next CEO unlikely to be better, might end up screwing up operations and finances where Cook has done well.

How many Steve Jobs type of CEOs do we have in the world?

How many consumer companies are executing well (customers actually excited by the product, not using it because they don’t have a choice)?

I can’t think of even one for each of the above.
Most people aren’t excited about a new Apple product only people on forums like this are excited for them.
Look at the new headset thing they released the general public don’t actually give a stuff about it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Most people aren’t excited about a new Apple product only people on forums like this are excited for them.
Look at the new headset thing they released the general public don’t actually give a stuff about it.
True. It’s an entirely different thing opining on an online forum vs just going out to the product because you know you will be purchasing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.