Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
OP should put up some possible successors so we can share a good laugh.
Wouldn't make a difference if you even put Will Ferrel in that chair. Listening to mediocre suggestions of the engineers due to own lack of creativity is something, many can do ... having a true vision of the future ... no, Cook doesn't have that.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Without Jobs Apple became all form over function, which was apparently because of Ive’s ideas – obsession with thinness, which led to disastrous MacBook Pros.

After he left we finally got amazing laptops again.
The thinness problem was with the iMacs. The first MacBook Air was a wonderful designed product. The current design is just meh.

But there is absolutely no reason why to solder components to the board in an iMac, Mac mini or even bigger desktop machine, other than hostility against the own customers and against the green planet.

Jadzea97

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
Tm Cook as CEO of Apple has a fantastic track record. Apple are one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world, and make huge sums of profit. They aren’t in a particularly fragile position where if Vision Pro fails the whole company does, much like if Apple Car is cancelled, the company is robust enough to deal with it. Not many firms can weather storms like this.

The frustration I think many of us have as end users is that new market leading features on laptops, tablets and phones seem to come from other manufacturers first. And new product segments seem to be niche, like Vision Pro.

Yes, there are plenty of examples where Apple are first, but things like foldable phones, while clearly not perfect, are well established by other manufacturers now and Apple are still no where to be seen. The expectation for Apple to deliver something like this is huge; not only to be better than what everyone else does, but also be first to the market.

Look at AI - there’s lots coming out about iOS 18 having some sort of AI feature set, and this could be genuinely market leading and exciting, but I think we all temper our expectations given Apples track record of late; yes it will be good but curtailed in a way that others vendors don’t seem to suffer. Privacy is probably the most obvious explanation, but this is where innovative solutions need to come forward to solve this conundrum, and quickly. This is what I think many of us would attribute to being innovative.

We all want Apple to do well, and despite the issues would I use anything else? No. The value lies in Apple’s integration and quality. Would I like to see things develop faster? Yes! Would I like to see it all cost less? Hell yea!!

So is the end of Tim Cook as CEO near? Possibly, but likely only through his own choosing rather than down to being a failure at running Apple.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I would not be qualified.

But Jony Ive would.

Or even Frederighi.

But the bean counter's days are over. You can't just rely on the Steve Jobs innovations are ride those horses until they are dead. You have to come up with something completely unexpected, new, and well crafted.
Federighi?? 😳😳 under his management the whole software ecosystem turned into trash, there are endless glitches, bugs and issues and it gets worse with every update.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Tm Cook as CEO of Apple has a fantastic track record. Apple are one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world, and make huge sums of profit.
"Darren Woods as CEO of ExxonMobil has a fantastic track record. ExxonMobil are one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world, and make huge sums of profit."

Where are all the Apple enthusiasts left, who think different, who want to change the World, because they are crazy enough?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
"Darren Woods as CEO of ExxonMobil has a fantastic track record. ExxonMobil are one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world, and make huge sums of profit."

Where are all the Apple enthusiasts left, who think different, who want to change the World, because they are crazy enough?
You can yearn for something all you want, it doesn’t change the cold hard reality of the economic system we live under.

What marvelous technology do *you* see over the horizon that merely needs a “visionary” to bring to the masses?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013

This take on an manufactured conflict expresses a level and specificity of evangelism that I am, frankly, honored to have witnessed. I don't know who the successor will be to Cook's evidently imminent departure, but I can only hope they continue to spark such ire in some corners of the internet or humanity will truly have lost a great source of unrelenting artistry.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
What marvelous technology do *you* see over the horizon that merely needs a “visionary” to bring to the masses?

I've talked about camcorders before. (It's my field.) Plenty of frustrated customers to sweep up, and unlike the car, it has a solid connection (video editing) to existing Apple products.

Also, imagine if the time and money sunk into that car had instead been placed into high quality porting of games to the Mac. That would have made actual revenue, instead of the $0 that came of the car.

Build a #&$%$ interface! Ease of use was once the whole point of using a mac. Windows is still somewhat worse, but not enough to be a real selling point.

A big watch aimed at people with mobility and health problems. Limited functions like call for help and control TV. Perhaps a camera so that caretakers can check up on the wearer. This could save lives. (But maybe Apple doesn't want it's prestige associated with grandma?).

A wired+wireless ad hoc network designed to operate on the metropolitan or neighborhood scale. Devices in homes transmit directly to neighbors to form a connection to a few nodes. This could bypass expensive cellular service and be far easier to establish in difficult areas like Africa or Canada.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I've talked about camcorders before. (It's my field.) Plenty of frustrated customers to sweep up, and unlike the car, it has a solid connection (video editing) to existing Apple products.

Also, imagine if the time and money sunk into that car had instead been placed into high quality porting of games to the Mac. That would have made actual revenue, instead of the $0 that came of the car.

Build a #&$%$ interface! Ease of use was once the whole point of using a mac. Windows is still somewhat worse, but not enough to be a real selling point.

A big watch aimed at people with mobility and health problems. Limited functions like call for help and control TV. Perhaps a camera so that caretakers can check up on the wearer. This could save lives. (But maybe Apple doesn't want it's prestige associated with grandma?).
Cameras, gaming, and a Life Alert? Cmon.

Speaking of truly groundbreaking UI/UX, the AVP has astonishing Accessibility features. I was amazed watching how much thought was put in for people who don’t have limbs, can’t speak, etc:

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
Second biggest company in the world, but yeah... the CEO's gotta go.
You expect to maintain that second place, with multiple large-scale cancellations and flops, and from an executive team who AFAIK has yet to publicly own any of it?

"XX biggest company in the world!" echos like 1960's General Motors.

I don't envy whoever does replace Cook. They'll inherit an apparently thin product pipeline and will have an entire corporate culture to address.

Reactions: jlnr

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You expect to maintain that second place, with multiple large-scale cancellations and flops, and from an executive team who AFAIK has yet to publicly own any of it?

"XX biggest company in the world!" echos like 1960's General Motors.

I don't envy whoever does replace Cook. They'll inherit an apparently thin product pipeline and will have an entire corporate culture to address.
You have absolutely no insight into the product pipeline.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I would be happy too if Tim resigned, but only because I don't like the him.
He seems to been doing a good work for Apple - or mostly for the stockholders.

Would be nice if we could turn the clock backwards, a day or 2, but not really.
Sure I miss Joni and the lack of beautiful design. I do!

But I can live with new MacBook Air, I don't vomit on it because it's so ugly. It work great and mine has a great color. Not sure Joni would've liked or given us the midnight color. But sure, the design could've been better. I traded in an old 2018 MBA when I bought this one. I placed them side by side and the design was from beautiful to industrial.

Time moves forward, and the past is gone and only leave memories of all sorts.
We change and grow, hopefully for the better.

I will be happy the day Tim will go though, and see how Apple will change again.
Not sure Hairforce 1 will be the next CEO at that time though - someone unknown?

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
with multiple large-scale cancellations and flops
Animated GIF

Last edited:

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
One thing is certain, Tim Cook didn't have a crystal ball to know a global pandemic would hit late into the development of both the car and the AVP, nor knowledge of the price of literally everything subsequently going up after that. There's been a lot happen in just the last few years that has changed the market for big ticket purchases. I don't think even the greediest of shareholders would blame Cook for any of that.
I am not sure man.. how could Chinese EV flourish starting from 2019.. the year covid hit..

Apple is an international corp, there is no excuse it cannot compete wth Chinese companies

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's stuff people do. People understand why they want it. Just like people understood why they wanted an iPhone the moment they first saw one.
I have never seen anyone in the last decade even ask me (I’m the resident “tech guy”) about a camcorder. I think most people consider their phone the best way to capture pictures and videos because it’s there with them all the time.

Unless your hobby is photography or videography, you just use your phone. What could Apple possibly bring to the Camcorder/Standalone camera market that would be even worth the rounding error on their revenue streams?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.