Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Whilst I do miss my iPod, times have changed people always carry phones with them and as they advanced it was the logical steps.

iPhones can now have up to 1TB of storage, I think iPods maxed out at 256GB. Which gives you plenty of space to store songs locally for when you don’t have cell service or a wifi connection.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Whilst I do miss my iPod, times have changed people always carry phones with them and as they advanced it was the logical steps.

iPhones can now have up to 1TB of storage, I think iPods maxed out at 256GB.
It’s not good for those of us who listen to a lot of music and really struggle sometimes when things are charging. It’s not exactly a good look to be sitting with a portable charger because they is no other way of charging and the battery is draining

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?
It is "progress" from Apple's perspective, as Apple is more than happy to sell you a 1TB iPhone 13 Pro for $1500... 😂

As for the general public, the "typical" music listening behavior have shifted from holding 1000 of songs in your pocket into streaming millions of songs on your phone.

I still think the best alternative to an iPod would be a cheap Android with an SD card slot. Samsung Galaxy A03 is around $120 and it supports SD card up to 1TB. Plus a headphone jack!! ;)

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
It is "progress" from Apple's perspective, as Apple is more than happy to sell you a 1TB iPhone 13 Pro for $1500... ?

As for the general public, the "typical" music listening behavior have shifted from holding 1000 of songs in your pocket into streaming millions of songs on your phone.
Do they? I dont really know what other people do but it will shaft me. Will be rushing out to buy a new iPod this week as I really don’t want an iPhone just yet let alone one that expensive - I like Pay you Go phones and that’s too risky for An IPhone.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
It is "progress" from Apple's perspective, as Apple is more than happy to sell you a 1TB iPhone 13 Pro for $1500... ?

I still think the best alternative to an iPod would be a cheap Android with an SD card slot. Samsung Galaxy A03 is around $120 and it supports SD card up to 1TB. Plus a headphone jack!! ;)
i suspect I might end up doing that as I really don’t like having only one device. Will still be more technically complicated than I am used to. I like simplicity and Apply are stealing that from me.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't agree that it is a disgraceful decision. The iPod Touch is an "iPod" in name only and its pricing made no sense.

For those of us with large media collections, Android-based devices that support microSD cards is the way to go. My FiiO portable media player 256GB w/microSD card holds enough a decent amount of music. Even my old Galaxy A20 with an even larger SD card makes an even better media player than the iPod Touch. A larger, vibrant AMOLED screen can't be beat.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't agree that it is a disgraceful decision. The iPod Touch is an "iPod" in name only and its pricing made no sense.

For those of us with large media collections, Android-based devices that support microSD cards is the way to go. My FiiO portable media player 256GB w/microSD card holds enough a decent amount of music. Even my old Galaxy A20 with an even larger SD card makes an even better media player than the iPod Touch. A larger, vibrant AMOLED screen can't be beat.
And with Apple Music available on Android as well, it's a win-win solution.

Imo Apple simply abandons the portable music market because it's increasingly less and less profitable (less margins), and they get more money pushing people to buy iPhones + Apple Music subscription instead.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022

I can only find MP3 players up to 64gb on sale here in the UK. How do they even get the music on them?

And again I would lose all the songs I’ve brought from ITunes over the years.

This all sounds like what has worked well for me for over 14 years is being changed despite it being more and more money and way too technically challenging.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
And with Apple Music available on Android as well, it's a win-win solution.

Imo Apple simply abandons the portable music market because it's increasingly less and less profitable (less margins), and they get more money pushing people to buy iPhones + Apple Music subscription instead.
Apple music is pretty expensive when you want to keep Amazon Music for an Alexa as well. All starts to add up. I resent having to pay for Apple Music to listen to my cds.

I really think Apple are going to annoy a lot of people who don’t want to have to listen to music all the time on a phone that will need charging A lot quicker than a iPod does. I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying another type of MP3 without actually understanding how it works and I can’t find any bigger than 64gb and I don’t understand how an sd card works and what ones accept them.

I just want something that plays all my cd’s. My current collection is just under 64gb but it will pass it soon. What would psople on here do?

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple music is pretty expensive when you want to keep Amazon Music for an Alexa as well. All starts to add up. I resent having to pay for Apple Music to listen to my cds.

I really think Apple are going to annoy a lot of people who don’t want to habe to listen to music all the time on a phone that will need charging A lot quicker than a iPod does.

I feel like this really going to mess me up on holidays in A few years. I have no idea what other options I have?
I expect a slight bump into iPhone SE sales for those who are looking for an upgrade of their old iPod Touches.

I'm more concerned about iOS16 dropping off both the A9 and A10 (thus putting an end of support for my iPhone 7+).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I can only find MP3 players up to 64gb on sale here in the UK. How do they even get the music on them?

And again I would lose all the songs I’ve brought from ITunes over the years.

This all sounds like what has worked well for me for over 14 years is being changed despite it being more and more money and way too technically challenging.
All your songs purchased from iTunes are DRM free. Just download all of them on your computer first, and simply copy the .m4a files.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
I expect a slight bump into iPhone SE sales for those who are looking for an upgrade of their old iPod Touches.

I'm more concerned about iOS16 dropping off both the A9 and A10 (thus putting an end of support for my iPhone 7+).
I’m not sure. People who have Ipod tend to have non apple phones and Won’t want to switch easily.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
All your songs purchased from iTunes are DRM free. Just download all of them on your computer first, and simply copy the .m4a files.
That would take me some time. I struggled enough finding my backup of ITunes on my portable hard drive when my laptop hard drive Got replaced.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
People that want to store gigabytes of music on an unconnected device are not in the majority anymore. I used to be in the own my music camp…but having Apple Music has changed the way I find music and given me access to tons of stuff I never would have listened to if I was buying CDs. I typically listen to XM radio in the car, find something I like and Shazam it, then find all kinds of related stuff. Having the ability to get any music anywhere is much better. I travel all the time and have been able to stream music without issue. I miss the iPod days, but don’t want to relive it. Any song at my fingertips is a major win. Goodbye iPod, thanks for the memories.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
People that want to store gigabytes of music on an unconnected device are not in the majority anymore. I used to be in the own my music camp…but having Apple Music has changed the way I find music and given me access to tons of stuff I never would have listened to if I was buying CDs. I typically listen to XM radio in the car, find something I like and Shazam it, then find all kinds of related stuff. Having the ability to get any music anywhere is much better. I travel all the time and have been able to stream music without issue. I miss the iPod days, but don’t want to relive it. Any song at my fingertips is a major win. Goodbye iPod, thanks for the memories.
Pretty sure internet signals are still not great on Airplanes and in many many places. The hotel I was in a few years ago only had wifi in the reception and not in the reception.

I guess I will have to shop around in time for a music player that has the ability to store lots or otherwise buy a phone and never activate its sim and just use the phone for storage. What ones would people recommend? they doesn’t seem to be many on sale anymore. I don’t like being on the internet all the time. I like to detox and disconnect. And I bet sooner or later IPhone will be wireless headphones only when some of us often end up breaking headphones and only want cheap ones not expensive ones. And can’t use earbuds due to odd ear shape.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Newton1701

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

I really think Apple are going to annoy a lot of people who don’t want to have to listen to music all the time on a phone that will need charging A lot quicker than a iPod does. I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying another type of MP3 without actually understanding how it works and I can’t find any bigger than 64gb and I don’t understand how an sd card works and what ones accept them.

I just want something that plays all my cd’s. My current collection is just under 64gb but it will pass it soon. What would psople on here do?
The lack of third party alternatives should indicate where this market segment is currently at.
Get a 256 GB touch while they’re in stock.
That would take me some time. I struggled enough finding my backup of ITunes on my portable hard drive when my laptop hard drive Got replaced.
No offence but for someone talking about how vital local music and iPods are to them, I would assume you actually have a music library ready to go.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, Amazon UK has latest generation iPods in stock and renewed classic iPod too. Grab a few to hold you over. They can last a long time. I've got one still going on year 14. Because they are not complex, they don't need software upgrades many times each year. As such, you might use the same OS for years and it won't mysteriously slow down after upgrades you won't be seeing.

Even buying just ONE iPod now should get you through maybe 5-7+ years after which you can decide on the phone option or maybe try iPad Mini- only a little bigger and it can be a great "big" iPod without all of the burdens of phone service costs. A good mini can last 5+ years before Apple obsoletes it with iOS upgrades.

Since costs are a concern, buy yourself a mini with cellular, get a voip app and it can double as a phone on cheap cellular data-only plans. Texting works the same as iPhone. I have to assume there are dirt-cheap data-only plans there, so that would be a way to get almost an iPhone, a great iPad with a built-in iPod all in ONE device with no burdensome cell plans, nor press to need to upgrade your "phone" every year or two. I clung to mini 2 until this year and expect the new 6 to still be my main iDevice for the next 5-7.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Use a Apple watch.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

I don’t stream music or have a streaming service.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Pretty sure internet signals are still not great on Airplanes and in many many places. The hotel I was in a few years ago only had wifi in the reception and not in the reception.

I guess I will have to shop around in time for a music player that has the ability to store lots or otherwise buy a phone and never activate its sim and just use the phone for storage. What ones would people recommend? they doesn’t seem to be many on sale anymore. I don’t like being on the internet all the time. I like to detox and disconnect. And I bet sooner or later IPhone will be wireless headphones only when some of us often end up breaking headphones and only want cheap ones not expensive ones. And can’t use earbuds due to odd ear shape.
Use a Apple watch they can store allot of music.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Really space? iPhones can have up to 1TB in space. Even if you fill up 6 pages of apps, you very likely aren't using even 200GB. People stream their music on their phones. The days of the iPod were done when the iPhone 3GS rolled around.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
But it's doable. You just have to do it once. Just let iTunes download all your purchases and copy them somewhere. If you already have a backup of iTunes library, then they are there already. Simply copy them to an SD card and voila. iTunes purchases are DRM free, and pretty much any digital device nowadays can play the files just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.