Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
I don’t know where you travel, but I travel all over the US multiple times a month usually and I don’t have issues with WiFi in hotels or planes. Plane wireless is not blazing fast, but it’s enough to buffer some music. If you have a 64GB or larger iPhone I don’t see how you can’t load it up with enough music in advance of the flight to get you through it. I usually have stuff locally just in case the wireless is down on the plane. Even at the height of the iPod days I couldn’t fit my entire collection on one, so I’ve never been accustomed to having my entire collection with me. SanDisk and Sony are the only players I know of that are still around that can take SD cards. The larger Sony players are $$$$. The reality is the more time that passes the fewer standalone options there will be.
I’ve only ever been on a flight once where Wifi was offered (And it didn’t work on the return journey) It’s not offered on many short haul flights in Europe. And long haul flights sometimes charge an extreme amount for wifi And again reliability not that good.

plenty of hotels in Southern Europe are still wifi only avaliable in public areas of the hotel not in your room. I find that a pain so currently go to a hotel that has wifi in the room

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I never owned an iPod, I owned and still own other mp3/dap devices so this doesn't really affect me in any way.
I can see why Apple decided to do this, after all they can't possibly afford to waste resources on the ipods for such a little profit. Who do you think they are, Apple?

Just wait few more years till the time is right and you will see iphones without any storage too.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
I never owned an iPod, I owned and still own other mp3/dap devices so this doesn't really affect me in any way.
I can see why Apple decided to do this, after all they can't possibly afford to waste resources on the ipods for such a little profit. Who do you think they are, Apple?

Just wait few more years till the time is right and you will see iphones without any storage too.
how could an iPhone without storage work? They has to be capacity for it to function when data or wifi is not available otherwise many uses of it will seize. I mean without storage no taking photos where no signal is available and no listening to music when the wifi breaks down and you can’t afford or can’t access data (Relatives of mine live in a house where phone signals are only avaliable at the edges.) My wifi broke a couple of years ago for nearly 48 hours. I used my iPod a lot at that point. Pretty expensive to stream music via data for 20 hours. So without storage what would I be expected to do?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
OP you seem to have, shall we say very unique circumstances.
Unfortunately in a period where pretty much everyone in a first-world country has access to music 24/7 via free or subscription-based services accessed on their phones via cellular, home wifi or public wifi, the days of needing to carry around CD rips on a separate physical device like an iPod have all but ended.

Go back 10 years and it's like you putting up a post on a Sony forum complaining they've stopped making cassette Walkmans. Technology moves on.

There are however various MP3 players and DAPs (digital audio players) on the market to satisfy those rare occasions when you truly are disconnected from the net.

And I say again, no one is taking your existing player off you. I have a client (singer) who stores the backing tracks for her performances on her 2005 80GB iPod Classic 5th Generation: a device which I can confirm is still fully compatible with Apple Music on Monterrey, because it's me who keeps her library up to date. So enjoy your iPod and stop fretting. When it does eventually die, there are still loads of other options, not least, a used iPod.

Last edited:

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
iPods are great for kids, but a lot of people are handing down 3+ year old iPhones to kids, which replaces the need for an iPod touch.

The entry level iPad is also an excellent purchase (especially with the minimum storage bump to 64GB this past refresh). The value proposition of entry level iPad vs.
iPod was super high. A13 vs. A10 is huge. And obviously, much larger screen.

The lines were blurred big time for sure when you consider price.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I’m sure it’s all about the numbers. Sales for dedicated portable music players in general, not just iPods, went off a cliff years ago. I’m surprised the iPod has lasted this long to be honest.

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
My wifi broke a couple of years ago for nearly 48 hours. I used my iPod a lot at that point. Pretty expensive to stream music via data for 20 hours. So without storage what would I be expected to do?
Based on all your responses about wifi it kinda feels like you don’t realize you can download as much music either from iTunes or from Apple Music as you want to an iPhone. It’s not like you’re being forced to stream your music over the internet. iPhones can work exactly like iPods do.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Putting a downclocked A10 and keeping virtually everything the same from iPod touch 6 was the worst decision when iPod touch 7 was released... They should have used the iPhone 5/5s/SE 2016 body and released it back in 2019 or released it in 2022 and say it will be the final product in the iPod line ever... I have the iPod touch 5 [bought pre-owned] in 100% battery health as per Battery Life app [not sure if the battery was the same or it has been replaced] and running iOS 9.3.5 which a limited number of apps can be installed on [I have factory reset/erase all content and settings it this year] and the ones that have previously compatible version now requires at least iOS 12.0 for some...

It still can be used as backup pocket camera although the picture and video quality is nowhere near the digital cameras of today much more of DSLR and mirrorless cameras... It can also be used for playing downloaded music files or even offline music from streaming services since it only has wi-fi connection and no mobile/cellular data capability... Some games like Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City that has low system requirement can still be installed on it [until the Definitive Edition gets released and replaces the 10th Anniversary versions]

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I’ve only ever been on a flight once where Wifi was offered (And it didn’t work on the return journey) It’s not offered on many short haul flights in Europe. And long haul flights sometimes charge an extreme amount for wifi And again reliability not that good.

plenty of hotels in Southern Europe are still wifi only avaliable in public areas of the hotel not in your room. I find that a pain so currently go to a hotel that has wifi in the room
Most domestic flights in the US seem to have WiFi available for a fee, but many of them allow access to Apple Music for free. (I usually fly American, mostly because it serves my common destinations, and they definitely use this set up on their flights, at least the ones that aren’t conducted by their American Eagle subsidiary.) Maybe the shortest short haul flights don’t, but I don’t remember from the last time I did one earlier this year.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don't even remember the last time I saw an iPod in the wild. Unless you have some crazy niche needs, what exactly does an iPod do that cant be done on an iPhone (even an iPhone from several generations ago)?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
You can always use your Zune. Ok, that was a joke. Seriously, my phone has music on it, my Mac has music on it, my watch has music on it. I even saw some earphones have data storage for music.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
OP you seem to have, shall we say very unique circumstances.
Unfortunately in a period where pretty much everyone in a first-world country has access to music 24/7 via free or subscription-based services accessed on their phones via cellular, home wifi or public wifi, the days of needing to carry around CD rips on a separate physical device like an iPod have all but ended.

Go back 10 years and it's like you putting up a post on a Sony forum complaining they've stopped making cassette Walkmans. Technology moves on.

There are however various MP3 players and DAPs (digital audio players) on the market to satisfy those rare occasions when you truly are disconnected from the net.

And I say again, no one is taking your existing player off you. I have a client (singer) who stores the backing tracks for her performances on her 2005 80GB iPod Classic 5th Generation: a device which I can confirm is still fully compatible with Apple Music on Monterrey, because it's me who keeps her library up to date. So enjoy your iPod and stop fretting. When it does eventually die, there are still loads of other options, not least, a used iPod.
Is it rare? How many people can afford constantly streaming music via data or paying for WIFi in the many public places it’s not free. I am sure they are many times people use music on iPod‘s offline. Surely lots of people save Music and podcasts to avoid paying for data and to listen to when internet access is not certain or not possible. Now roming charges are coming back accessing data outside the UK is increasingly even more expensive.

Last edited:

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Most domestic flights in the US seem to have WiFi available for a fee, but many of them allow access to Apple Music for free. (I usually fly American, mostly because it serves my common destinations, and they definitely use this set up on their flights, at least the ones that aren’t conducted by their American Eagle subsidiary.) Maybe the shortest short haul flights don’t, but I don’t remember from the last time I did one earlier this year.
I live in the UK. I’ve never seen a flight advertising Apple Music being available. I’ve only been on one trip where the flight was advertised to have wifi. It worked going out but coming back it didn’t work for some reason.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I live in the UK. I’ve never seen a flight advertising Apple Music being available. I’ve only been on one trip where the flight was advertised to have wifi. It worked going out but coming back it didn’t work for some reason.
Mostly seems to be an American thing (maybe even specifically American, if you see what I did there ;)). It’s kinda funny because US domestic flight stinks in its own ways (legroom, for one, quality of business class and first class [or so I’ve been told] for another), but I guess we do have a couple of advantages vs European (or at least, UK) air travel.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
I’m always thought the majority of people I see with headphones on out and about are using downloaded music rather than streaming. I try and limit using data unless I have to. I never use data when free wifi is available. There is a McDonalds I go to sometimes where i have wondered why people were struggling with their phones because it’s a basement and no phone signal is avaliable but wifi works well

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?

There is a tiny niche for anything, including people who love their iPods. But there is a reality. The reality is I don't know ANYONE who uses an iPod anymore. My kids don't know anyone who uses an iPod anymore. At a certain time Apple has to let go. Hopefully your devices survive to provide you years of enjoyment.

Reactions: System603

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I’m always thought the majority of people I see with headphones on out and about are using downloaded music rather than streaming. I try and limit using data unless I have to. I never use data when free wifi is available. There is a McDonalds I go to sometimes where i have wondered why people were struggling with their phones because it’s a basement and no phone signal is avaliable but wifi works well
But if you’re using downloaded music anyway, how is an iPod better? Any recent iPhone model has storage options well beyond where an iPod maxes out.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
There is a tiny niche for anything, including people who love their iPods. But there is a reality. The reality is I don't know ANYONE who uses an iPod anymore. My kids don't know anyone who uses an iPod anymore. At a certain time Apple has to let go. Hopefully your devices survive to provide you years of enjoyment.
I’ve already been limiting the use of my current one today.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
But if you’re using downloaded music anyway, how is an iPod better? Any recent iPhone model has storage options well beyond where an iPod maxes out.
Have you seen the prices of those. I mean £700 iPhone are only having a 128gb storage which with apps would not give me any where near as much music storage as my current 64gb iPod has. Amazon are selling 128gb iPod for £278. To get a phone with that much storage on is many times more in price. Am I misunderstanding something. As otherwise I cannot see how this is value for money at all? Apple are pricing people out of the market.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Have you seen the prices of those. I mean £700 iPhone are only having a 128gb storage which with apps would not give me any where near as much music storage as my current 64gb iPod has. Amazon are selying 128gb iPod for £278. To get a phone with that much storage on is many times more in price. Am I misunderstanding something.
What model of iPhone is that? I'm not in the UK, so I don't know where to look for things specific to you, but in the US I can buy a used but in new condition 512GB iPhone 11 Pro or 256GB iPhone 12 for $600, or a 256GB 11 Pro in the mid $400s, or even a 256GB iPhone 11 (non-Pro) for under $400. Those are all still great phones, and the prices are in line with similar storage levels on a new iPod Touch. And then factor in that you don't have to buy a separate phone on top of that. I looked back home in NZ too and while the prices are a little different, the trend is pretty similar.

So, honestly, how is consolidating two devices into one not progress? Granted, you can't get the top of the line, brand-new phone for the price of an iPod Touch, but the hardware you're getting in a 3-4 year old iPhone is still better than what you'll find in the latest model of iPod, plus it's also a phone.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Have you seen the prices of those. I mean £700 iPhone are only having a 128gb storage which with apps would not give me any where near as much music storage as my current 64gb iPod has. Amazon are selling 128gb iPod for £278. To get a phone with that much storage on is many times more in price. Am I misunderstanding something. As otherwise I cannot see how this is value for money at all? Apple are pricing people out of the market.
It’s still second hand. Not really something I want to do. I can’t find a new iPhone with storage more than 128gb for anything near what I wish to spend. I can for an iPod.

What should i buy then to allow me to store 50gb of app data and 85gb of music? Otherwise I will end up having to rotate my music library to prevent my phone running out of room.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.