Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It’s still second hand. Not really something I want to do. I can’t find any models being sold new for under £700.
You can get the new SE with 256gb of storage brand new from apple.co.uk for under £600. If it were me, I'd rather go used and get a better deal, but if you insist on brand-new then that option still exists.

Reactions: System603

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It’s still second hand. Not really something I want to do. I can’t find a new iPhone with storage more than 128gb for anything near what I wish to spend. I can for an iPod.

What should i buy then to allow me to store 50gb of app data and 85gb of music? Otherwise I will end up having to rotate my music library to prevent my phone running out of room.
Have you tried checking out MVNOs (non-contract cell service providers)? Here in the US, companies like BoostMobile are selling 2020 iPhone SE's new starting at $199... full price, no contract, no need to activate service.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
You can get the new SE with 256gb of storage brand new from apple.co.uk for under £600. If it were me, I'd rather go used and get a better deal, but if you insist on brand-new then that option still exists.
I just grew up in a environment where second hand was always seen as something to avoid and it was better to go without or go cheaper than buy second hand.

• Sad
Reactions: artfossil
Sad Reality! It's a tough pill to swallow but It was coming. I don't think iPod Touch was making any money for Apple anymore. It is definitely a revolutionary product and it totally changed the world we live in today.

I wish iPod Touch had ended up like this. 👇

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I just grew up in a environment where second hand was always seen as something to avoid and it was better to go without or go cheaper than buy second hand.
That's fine, there's nothing wrong with preferring to buy new stuff. You just said that you couldn't find something new under £700 with more than 128GB of storage, so I was pointing out that there is something that fits those criteria.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
If you were buying an iPhone SE, the storage upgrade to 256 GB is $150 in the US, but an iPod Touch 128 GB (no 64 GB model) is $299 by itself, literally double the money. And you have 2 devices to deal with, charging and accessories, etc.

OP only makes sense if he doesn't want an iPhone ever but wanted to stick to the iPod Touch and they will have to find a new audio player I guess.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
If you were buying an iPhone SE, the storage upgrade to 256 GB is $150 in the US, but an iPod Touch 128 GB (no 64 GB model) is $299 by itself, literally double the money. And you have 2 devices to deal with, charging and accessories, etc.

OP only makes sense if he doesn't want an iPhone ever but wanted to stick to the iPod Touch and they will have to find a new audio player I guess.
I’ve never been one to really want an IPhone but I suspect I will end up with one someday because it feels easier than trying to find a new type of audio player or copying all my music over to an android (which is what my current phone, A Samsung Galaxy A40, is.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Is it rare? How many people can afford constantly streaming music via data or paying for WIFi in the many public places it’s not free. I am sure they are many times people use music on iPod‘s offline. Surely lots of people save Music and podcasts to avoid paying for data and to listen to when internet access is not certain or not possible. Now roming charges are coming back accessing data outside the UK is increasingly even more expensive.
Let's assume 2GB of data. That is roughly 500 songs, ~2000 minutes, roughly 2 days if you stream new tracks non-stop at 16 hours a day. So that's roughly about 1GB per day.
So 1GB a day, 30GB a month. The most expensive carrier in my country offers 50GB data quota a month for ~$7.50 USD. Even taking to the extreme scenario, looks like it's still fairly affordable.

In reality, the app will cache songs that are already streamed so any repeat plays won't incur more data. And most people don't stream non-stop every day. Furthermore, streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music allows pre-download of songs/playlists so they can be played offline.

People spend more data watching TikTok/Youtube. Music streaming is actually affordable nowadays.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Let's assume 2GB of data. That is roughly 500 songs, ~2000 minutes, roughly 2 days if you stream new tracks non-stop at 16 hours a day. So that's roughly about 1GB per day.
So 1GB a day, 30GB a month. The most expensive carrier in my country offers 50GB data quota a month for ~$7.50 USD. Even taking to the extreme scenario, looks like it's still fairly affordable.

In reality, the app will cache songs that are already streamed so any repeat plays won't incur more data. And most people don't stream non-stop every day. Furthermore, streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music allows pre-download of songs/playlists so they can be played offline.

People spend more data watching TikTok/Youtube. Music streaming is actually affordable nowadays.
I only get 2gb a month for £10. To get unlimited is £40 a month pay as you go or sometimes cheaper on contract. Nowhere gives 50GB on pay as you go anywhere near what it seems to be in the USA. Dont really want a contract at this point in time.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I only get 2gb a month for £10. To get unlimited is £40 a month pay as you go or maybe slightly cheaper on contract. Nowhere gives 50GB for anywhere near what it seems to be in the USA.
That still means there are more people than you think who can afford music streaming just fine.

As for the US, most households in the US have landline internet, and wifi availability is not a big deal (just count how many starbucks over there).

Anyhow, imo it's not necessarily about streaming. Discontinuation of the iPod Touch simply means more people would just get the iPhone and use their iPhones as their music player, be it offline/streaming. Market trend is shifting. Just like point-n-shoot cameras, standalone music players have been substituted by the smartphone. People prefers carrying one thing than two/more things. Even cheap phones have ample storage nowadays (64GB) to hold a decent amount of music.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
That still means there are more people than you think who can afford music streaming just fine.

As for the US, most households in the US have landline internet, and wifi availability is not a big deal (just count how many starbucks over there).

Anyhow, imo it's not necessarily about streaming. Discontinuation of the iPod Touch simply means more people would just get the iPhone and use their iPhones as their music player, be it offline/streaming. Market trend is shifting. Just like point-n-shoot cameras, standalone music players have been substituted by the smartphone. People prefers carrying one thing than two/more things. Even cheap phones have ample storage nowadays (64GB) to hold a decent amount of music.
I think stand-alone cameras will never die out fully because many people use them either for work or as a hobby.

I just sort of like having all my cd’s avaliable to listen to so have a lot of music storage. I guess I will change in time and rotate.

Last edited:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
My wife is a dance teacher so uses an iPod 8hrs a day 6 days a week but then she just naturally started using her phone more because it was convenient and now that’s all she uses. 1 device to rule them all! It’s just miles easier.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I think it is hard to beat an updated iPod Classic for a lot of storage. You can buy them pre-modded or do your own. All of the parts are available new, except logic boards which are re-used. I haven't found another music player with more than two microSD slots. So for 2TB you'd need 2 x 1TB which are expensive. With an iFlash Quad you can use 4 x 412GB, or build up slowly as you need to. You need to be careful opening them and changing connections, but I've had a logic board repaired very reasonably.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
how could an iPhone without storage work? They has to be capacity for it to function when data or wifi is not available otherwise many uses of it will seize. I mean without storage no taking photos where no signal is available and no listening to music when the wifi breaks down and you can’t afford or can’t access data (Relatives of mine live in a house where phone signals are only avaliable at the edges.) My wifi broke a couple of years ago for nearly 48 hours. I used my iPod a lot at that point. Pretty expensive to stream music via data for 20 hours. So without storage what would I be expected to do?
Read more carefully the last sentence.

Reactions: Homme

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
The other fun thing about using old iPods is that you can find all sorts of funky accessories cheaply on Ebay. I was late to the whole iPod thing, as I thought they were expensive and low on capacity. I just bought one near the end of the 7th Gen when it seemed clear they weren't going to last much longer or get more capacious.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Does anyone know whether you can get a white replacement click wheel for the fourth-generation iPod or can point me to a real photo of that combo? I kind of want this:

ip4g.png

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
OP: do you have / use a smartphone? Maybe an iPhone? If yes, why not simplify life and use it for music consumption?

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone would still use iPod these days, the same reason I'd be surprised anyone is stil using compact digital cameras: Smart phones satisfy those 2 functions perfectly, and most people have phones with them all the time, hence availability and practicality are one of the biggest assets. Why carry around 2 almost exactly the same devices? Sure, iPod is a bit lighter, and I love it's design, but still...

Regarding the storage space "issue"; you can easily decide to use most of the storage space on the phone for music, problem solved. And wifi can be ticked off anytime as well.

I think Apple is making a rational decision here. 21 years is a long and respectable journey.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Do they? I dont really know what other people do but it will shaft me. Will be rushing out to buy a new iPod this week as I really don’t want an iPhone just yet let alone one that expensive - I like Pay you Go phones and that’s too risky for An IPhone.
The iPod has vanished from the UK online Apple Store, so I assume it'll be the same elsewhere, so you'll be lucky to find one. I think Apple's hoping that people who were intending to buy an iPod will buy an iPad mini instead (granted it's considerably more expensive).

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
iPods are great for kids, but a lot of people are handing down 3+ year old iPhones to kids, which replaces the need for an iPod touch.

The entry level iPad is also an excellent purchase (especially with the minimum storage bump to 64GB this past refresh). The value proposition of entry level iPad vs.
iPod was super high. A13 vs. A10 is huge. And obviously, much larger screen.

The lines were blurred big time for sure when you consider price.
No, the base model was bumped to 64GB the last refresh. I'm still of the opinion that the base model should be 128GB, not 64, 64GB just isn't enough.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I only get 2gb a month for £10. To get unlimited is £40 a month pay as you go or sometimes cheaper on contract. Nowhere gives 50GB on pay as you go anywhere near what it seems to be in the USA. Dont really want a contract at this point in time.
I get unlimited for £30/month with EE (or, more accurately, my mum does - thank you, Mother!). Where I am at the moment, whilst there's technically wifi... 16.3Mbps down. In 2022. In Leicester. There's no 5G coverage here (and I don't have a 5G phone), but my 4G phone gets me EIGHT TIMES that.

Attachments

• 9CB67BEC-0A84-460A-9479-8D5E2E2F5B48.jpeg
    9CB67BEC-0A84-460A-9479-8D5E2E2F5B48.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 66

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
There are plenty of options out there. Sony has quite a few to choose from that are pretty well built. However, it’s not going to sync with Apple Music. You’ll have to just copy your library over to the new device and manage it separately from your Apple Music one. I’m bummed the iPod is gone, but it has been for a while since the iPod Classic was discontinued for me.

Captain_Mac

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2021
Times have changed, and probably the number of units sold simply did not justify another revision of the iPod touch. And it was getting old (A10 fusion inside).
Don't get me wrong, I loved mine back in the day, the 4th generation one. It was my gateway product to the Apple ecosystem. But today it's probably better to get an older iPhone for the same price and get more features. Even the iPad today starts at just 80$ more than the base iPod touch (329$ vs 249$).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.