Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
All your songs purchased from iTunes are DRM free. Just download all of them on your computer first, and simply copy the .m4a files.
You can’t do this with Lossless/Hi-Res Copies. I heard you can do it with itunes under a mac os but I have windows and they haven’t updated itunes to either play 4k movies/downloaded them, or hi res music.

Use a Apple watch.
I learned this the hard way that Apple Watches for some odd Apple Reason only allocates 8gb of media no matter what, so you can’t fit that much in it, at most I can only have 5 custom lists and then it wants to piggy back off of the iphone, when I first got it it seemed ideal but that hope was shattered when I learned the truth.

It also takes forever to sync music directly between devices.
Based on all your responses about wifi it kinda feels like you don’t realize you can download as much music either from iTunes or from Apple Music as you want to an iPhone. It’s not like you’re being forced to stream your music over the internet. iPhones can work exactly like iPods do.
Apple threw a curb ball at me when they upgraded our music catalog to hi res/lossless, I went from my usual 80gb of music to 275gb, I always tailored my iphone storage sizes to 256gb because of that and now if i want all my songs in hi res i need to bump it up to 512gb.

Apple music sucks at telling you what songs in your library are high res unless you “individually click“ each so obviously I had to switch it back to “high quality” audio, but since it’s high quality audio, the only way to play hi res and loss less is to have the songs in the cloud.

It’s still confusing.
I am probably old school like you. I always feel that eras pass by too quickly. I think especially if you can’t ride the wave from day one, things feel like “wow, already gone?”

We had our previous car for 16 years - yes, I try to maintain my stuff. It was one of those models just before USB and Bluetooth became available as standard. And the car did not even have the audio input, since I purchased it as a demo (just did not have these extra coins for a “made to spec” car).

And so, when finally I bought my iPods I could not play them through the car stereo. Cd and radio only.

Finally this year I could not stretch it any longer. The old car had to go and I bought a Ford van instead. I was so looking forward to plugging in my iPods with all of the music and audio books … but, theFord sync system denied them. “These USB devices are not supported”. Too old. And because it supports all fancy iPhone, Bluetooth and CarPlay features, there is no need for an audio cable support either.

I sat there in the car realizing, by going from the very old car to the latest and greatest, I had jumped over an entire generation of media tech. I can show my phone’s maps on the car touch screen, stream all my music and audio books at no extra cost, the phone support and hands free speaking implementation is just wonderful.

But I sat in the car and was heart broken. I had looked forward to many kilometers of iPod driven entertainment. I will have the entertainment but something will be missing.

And so, I will continue to use my iPods - just not on road trips.

In all honesty - the iPod era was 20 years plus. That is a very long time and yet it feels like it flew by. The first ten years were superb, with one exciting new model after the other. The last one felt dull. But I will keep the chaps alive as long as their battery rocks.
I feel that way, but you figure that given how technology updates fast, that there would be good replacements for said devices, back when ipods were showing you music videos, i was rocking the old school archos pmp a380’s or something, looking back at it now the DAC and EQ customization is currently better than what any iphone has to offer, i dislike preset settings and the apple ecosystem is all in tune with their own “remasters” that when you use an external earphone or headphone no matter what you do, you would need A hi Res music player to get the most out of it because forget Apple Music.

It’s funny because I look At my Apple TV remote and think ipod classic with That touch wheel.
And this is why you don't run a company lol.
Sony still updates their Walkman lineup, I am honestly surprised they do this, of course is tiered expensively but I’m tempted to say the least.

My biggest gripe at the moment is that I can’t download my songs in high res to my PC, I can with my high quality copies but nothing Hires/lossless. It’s just because the industry wants to you subscribe and stream. Been that way to netflix, disney +, Apple Music, etc.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I tunes match only costs about $25 a year.
With that it'll upload all your music to the cloud even if you have 1TB. The quality is good too.
If you have about 8gb of storage on your phone, that'll give you roughly 3 days worth of listening for any time you are away from a network which should be plenty.
I don't believe the ipod has better battery life than a modern phone and anyway, most people use wireless headphones so it's not a problem to charge and listen at the same time.
I had one about 15 years ago and it was good at the time but at some point I stopped using it because the phone was better and I didn't even know they were still on sale.
By the way...... It doesn't really upload your library it matches it with what it's already got which is pretty vast. If you've got something it doesn't have it'll upload that but it's probably not much and the whole process is pretty quick.

Last edited:

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
You're getting royally screwed over. I had a better deal than that 10 years ago. And I live in the same country as you.

What crap carrier do you have? When I visited Ireland, we got Vodafone SIMS with 20gb/month for like 15 euro.

You want to know about getting screwed? My pre-paid AT&T in the States is $45 USD/line for 8gb/month - non pre-paid plans are typically more.

thewall

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
U.K
I have iPod Nanos and for me and my work they are great, i can have them i my pocket without the fear of breaking them where if i brought a Touch i would break the screen in a heartbeat, everything was great until i upgraded to Big Sur and iTunes vanished for Music, tried plugging in my iPod and it wiped it clear and i had no way of getting my music back "thanks Apple":mad::mad::mad:

What i did was get my Windows laptop and download an old version of Apple iTunes so i could load my music on to an Apple iPod, something not right here :rolleyes::rolleyes:

bella2v

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Portland, OR
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?
While I agree, I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop for a few years. I bought the latest version iPodTouch last year and have to admit I use it more than I do my iPhone, by a long ways. It opens quicker, allows me to browse messages while keeping my phone free, carries more data like temps than the phone and overall is the mose useful Apple product that I own. But, Apple is a tech version of GMC, they can only survive on mass production, and when the numbers do not meet that goal it's time to cut the line. I am wondering of some "boutique" electronics company will come out with a successor, e.g., a modernized Palm Pilot, my first tech toy and one that for me was succeeded by the iPodTouch. The iPhone, which I have, is not an adequate substitute for a variety of reasons.

bella2v

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Portland, OR
What crap carrier do you have? When I visited Ireland, we got Vodafone SIMS with 20gb/month for like 15 euro.

You want to know about getting screwed? My pre-paid AT&T in the States is $45 USD/line for 8gb/month - non pre-paid plans are typically more.
When visiting Europe I pick up a phone with lots of minutes, for €15 mo, as you did. While Vodafone works I find the Orange (O2) works better on the Continent.

Reactions: DanteHicks79

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
OK so "people have shifted from holding 1000 of songs in your pocket into streaming millions of songs"

What if people don't want to carry a phone and still listen to music (ex: me when I'm running), what's the solution for that?

1- Apple watch. Can't make it work... at least on spotify without a cellular watch. Also apple watch impose you to update ios on your phone to sync the watch. That's ridiculous... Just reinforces the apple "scheduled obsolescence". Definitely not for me, love my xs max on ios 14.
2- A small device. Searched over and over and found two options:
2a- one from sony which is not small and pretty expensive
2b- one from spotify which is very low quality and have a lot of bad feedback.

So my point is, there's demand but there's no product. Would buy such a "decent" small device for spotify in a heartbeat! One that you select your playlists, click sync and you're good to go...

Reactions: Apleeseed84

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Substitute ipod for a phone it's like substitute a camera for a phone.

We still have cameras to buy but we don't have ipods (or small music streamers)...

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Pretty sure internet signals are still not great on Airplanes and in many many places. The hotel I was in a few years ago only had wifi in the reception and not in the reception.

I guess I will have to shop around in time for a music player that has the ability to store lots or otherwise buy a phone and never activate its sim and just use the phone for storage. What ones would people recommend? they doesn’t seem to be many on sale anymore. I don’t like being on the internet all the time. I like to detox and disconnect. And I bet sooner or later IPhone will be wireless headphones only when some of us often end up breaking headphones and only want cheap ones not expensive ones. And can’t use earbuds due to odd ear shape.

You do realise that you can download the songs from Apple Music? I have mine set to download any song locally that I add to a playlist on my device. This leaves you in exactly the same position as you currently are with iTunes + iPod.

When you have signal however, you are in a much better position as you can listen to anything, anywhere.

Some people are resistant to change, I get that. I had a ~100Gb music collection with iTunes prior to the streaming revolution. I resisted for a long time but finally went to Apple Music.

You can allow Apple to scan your entire music collection, even your ripped CD's and it will add it to your library linked to your AppleID. This then allows you to always have access to the music you already own through iTunes. You will still have access to that and will still have the ability to redownload any of that content. I've since deleted my local copy.

Moving to Apple Music adds options, not removes them.

When it comes to hardware and battery technology, the latest iPhones are way ahead of the A10 series. The base level iPhone 13 lasts all day with my 13yo and she never puts it down....and that's streaming videos, not just playing downloaded music with a screen off.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max takes it to the next level. I work 12+ hrs per day, make/ receive >120 calls per day and use it for email/ web/ video/ music. I still go home with 50% battery left.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I thought they were discontinued already.
OP if you make something and it doesn’t well, are you going to keep making it?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
OK so "people have shifted from holding 1000 of songs in your pocket into streaming millions of songs"

What if people don't want to carry a phone and still listen to music (ex: me when I'm running), what's the solution for that?

1- Apple watch. Can't make it work... at least on spotify without a cellular watch. Also apple watch impose you to update ios on your phone to sync the watch. That's ridiculous... Just reinforces the apple "scheduled obsolescence". Definitely not for me, love my xs max on ios 14.
2- A small device. Searched over and over and found two options:
2a- one from sony which is not small and pretty expensive
2b- one from spotify which is very low quality and have a lot of bad feedback.

So my point is, there's demand but there's no product. Would buy such a "decent" small device for spotify in a heartbeat! One that you select your playlists, click sync and you're good to go...
Your needs are super-niche. Most people would be just fine with an Apple Watch with streaming or synced music. The part about not wanting to update beyond iOS14 is definitely a you problem.

Or just buy another iPod. You clearly have no issue with outdated software, so just use whatever iPod you like most. My original iPod Nano from 2005 still plugs in and syncs just fine, so I'm sure you can find something more recent that fits your needs.

Reactions: Kaylor

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I thought they were discontinued already.
OP if you make something and it doesn’t well, are you going to keep making it?
To be honest, if you looked at their previous quarterly earnings, the iPods were right up with the entry level ipads. Some were surprised it still sold, not iphone numbers but still millions in profit.

Dumb me thinks they discontinued this line up for a continuation of a better item, granted no matter how you look at it, ipod touches are completely sold out on apple.com and some third party vendors as of today.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
To be honest, if you looked at their previous quarterly earnings, the iPods were right up with the entry level ipads.

Dunno, but for sure with a downward pointing trend which would make it rather dubious to invest in future models.
Keeping the old one around was a nogo as it will most likely get booted from iOS support pretty soon.

Never had an iPod never cared about it much and won't miss it :p

• Haha
Reactions: Apleeseed84

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Disgraceful and I shall write a letter to my mp about it /s

wish I could get so excited over nothing ?

Tbh the iPhone does so many amazing things including music why bother with an iPod ?

Last edited:

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
This discussion is disgraceful:

You buy any (SIM) unlocked iPhone that's compatible with the current version of iOS, any size of GBs you need, and simply transfer the music stored in your iTunes/Apple Music library while making sure to not sync any other documents or files whatsoever.

And voila, you have the best iPod ever, the iPhone, but without any expensive cell-service or Apple Music subscription.

The fact that you might have to use a $9 Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack adaptor is not a valid argument against the iPhone as an iPod.

Look at the 1st Gen iPod touch and tell me that the first Gen iPhone wasn't essentially an iPod touch with SIM card capabilities.

Even Steve Jobs presented the OG iPhone as an iPod with calling and internet communication capabilities.

And if you don't want the latter, you simply stay away from that SIM slot and tell it to never connect to Wifi. It's that simple.

The iPod never went away. It just evolved into the iPhone.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
This discussion is disgraceful:

You buy any (SIM) unlocked iPhone that's compatible with the current version of iOS, any size of GBs you need, and simply transfer the music stored in your iTunes/Apple Music library while making sure to not sync any other documents or files whatsoever.

And voila, you have the best iPod ever, the iPhone, but without any expensive cell-service or Apple Music subscription.

The fact that you might have to use a $9 Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack adaptor is not a valid argument against the iPhone as an iPod.

Look at the 1st Gen iPod touch and tell me that the first Gen iPhone wasn't essentially an iPod touch with SIM card capabilities.

Even Steve Jobs presented the OG iPhone as an iPod with calling and internet communication capabilities.

And if you don't want the latter, you simply stay away from that SIM slot and tell it to never connect to Wifi. It's that simple.

The iPod never went away. It just evolved into the iPhone.
I disagree, people who keep saying iPods are just iphones without sim cards don’t know about continuity, the ipod does this because it’s meant to be used as a secondary device not a primary one, that’s what the iphone is, even then iPhones solely focus is cellular and camera functions with Apple Music as an afterthought, you can’t customize Your EQ settings and the DAC is subpar to even the likes of an ipod touch, Continuity means that a device will hand off from your iphone in regards to phone calls and iMessage.

ios can only handle one audio source at at the time and it’s constant problem where as some apps just straight up override Apple Music, although i was a huge fan of the ipod classic, the touch was alright, the catastrophic rollout of hi res and lossless songs that still give me problem TO THIS DAY was a nudge to the above average consumer to basically say they really never cared about music and Just wanted to outdo Spotify.

My biggest complaint is my iphone pausing my songs every ten seconds because i really can’t surf the internet, or read apple news without a video trying to take control of my headphones/earphones.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021

If you think you're screwed, I invite you to take a look at telecom prices in Canada.

Reactions: DanteHicks79

ridiculousThreads

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?

Completely agree, this decision is a disgrace, as you say! It is simply ridiculous to have to endure the painful experience of not having a second device while "charging" a primary device, or turning on airplane mode when I "don't want internet access".

That is why I have two of everything. Laptop charging? I now have three MacBooks. iPads? No more than ten. Cars? I have four Teslas, two for each of the homes I also have multiples of. But pairs of underwear? I only have one because I but multiples of everything.

Reactions: CC91UK

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
On the charging issue is it really even a big deal anymore? I certainly use my phone far more than I should but aside from charging in the car on my 15 minute commute for CarPlay reasons I easily get a day out of my current and last iPhone.

Reactions: ElioLugaru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.