Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
honestly, i'd guess that majority of ipod touches they've sold in the last few years probably wasn't for use as music players.

I see ipod touches in use all the time in the hospitality industry by wait staff, QR code readers for scanning tickets at entertainment venues etc.

That demand isn't going to go away, I wonder what will fill the void.

Logically iphones; but that's a fair price hike from a base model ipod touch.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
I have an iPod NaNo 7th gen for the gym because it's a hell of a lot easier to listen to music through that than carry your phone around there (and the wifi is awful in the gym, and I have songs not on Apple Music that I wanna play). And it's also able to use wireless buds, which works well for me. No wires to fall out when you're doing exercises.

Again, I am using it for a specific purpose, which I doubt a lot of people are using it for.

An iPod is a product for a niche market, and I think that most people in the modern era have moved to stream online. Yes, there are a select few that still use their iPods, which isn't an issue either, but it was inevitable that they would be discontinued for good sooner or later. Eras change, and iPods are irrelevant to most people now.

Reactions: progx

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?
Should have gone with a Zune, LOL

• Haha
Reactions: imelliam

imelliam

Cancelled
Dec 6, 2022
I don't agree that it is a disgraceful decision. The iPod Touch is an "iPod" in name only and its pricing made no sense.

For those of us with large media collections, Android-based devices that support microSD cards is the way to go. My FiiO portable media player 256GB w/microSD card holds enough a decent amount of music. Even my old Galaxy A20 with an even larger SD card makes an even better media player than the iPod Touch. A larger, vibrant AMOLED screen can't be beat.
The pricing made sense because it's not a big high end screen, high end camera, and many other expensive components that make an iPhone so expensive. You're just outwardly saying Apple should've charged more and made more profit. Yay Apple profits. We all win?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I still love my iPod and my music collection. I’m thinking about buying this restored iPod with Bluetooth build in for AirPods use.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
As someone who still uses a Click-Wheel iPod, even I'm surprised Apple kept selling the iPod this long. As soon as the first iPhone came out the writing was on the wall that the iPod's days were numbered. The iPhone's default list of apps even serves as a reminder of physical objects that have been replaced by digital applications: Camera, Calculator, Calendar, Maps, and now the iPod. Modern solutions have served as more than satisfactory replacements for the iPod for 99% of the general populace.

But for the remaining 1% of us niche iPod users, it's not the end at all. Just because Apple stopped selling iPods doesn't mean the currently existing iPods are all going to suddenly stop working - they're still as good at their original jobs of playing music as they were on the day they were released and modern macOS/iTunes on Windows still has built-in iPod support. With the correct dongles, I can even get the original 2001 1st generation iPod talking to a 2022 computer. Heck, Apple stopped selling the traditional Click-Wheel generations of iPods in 2014 and nobody really bat an eyelid because they continued to work for all this time. I'm ignoring the iPod touch here because Apple's direction for that product line has shifted from a music player with touch controls to training wheels for the iPhone as a social/gaming device, and that's clearly reflected in their marketing (anyone remember their "Funnest iPod" ad?).

If you want to keep using an iPod, you can always buy a secondhand 7th gen 160GB iPod Classic and it'll do the job. If the hard drive or battery's worn down or you need more space, there are plenty of guides online as well as parts suppliers that let you upgrade your iPod beyond its original limitations. My iPod has had its 20GB hard drive upgraded to a 256GB solid state unit and it's also got a custom battery that lasts longer than any modern iPhone for music playback, and the total cost for the components is less than half the price of a 64GB 2022 iPhone SE.

I'd like to think that Apple hasn't fully killed off one of the most important products in its history, rather they've retired it and handed the torch to the community to keep it alive. And for sure, the iPod modding community's more alive today than it ever has been.

---

Bonus: Here's a tongue-in-cheek ad I made for the iPod in the style of the first iPhone ads, detailing why some people still use them.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
As someone who still uses a Click-Wheel iPod, even I'm surprised Apple kept selling the iPod this long. As soon as the first iPhone came out the writing was on the wall that the iPod's days were numbered. The iPhone's default list of apps even serves as a reminder of physical objects that have been replaced by digital applications: Camera, Calculator, Calendar, Maps, and now the iPod. Modern solutions have served as more than satisfactory replacements for the iPod for 99% of the general populace.

But for the remaining 1% of us niche iPod users, it's not the end at all. Just because Apple stopped selling iPods doesn't mean the currently existing iPods are all going to suddenly stop working - they're still as good at their original jobs of playing music as they were on the day they were released and modern macOS/iTunes on Windows still has built-in iPod support. With the correct dongles, I can even get the original 2001 1st generation iPod talking to a 2022 computer. Heck, Apple stopped selling the traditional Click-Wheel generations of iPods in 2014 and nobody really bat an eyelid because they continued to work for all this time. I'm ignoring the iPod touch here because Apple's direction for that product line has shifted from a music player with touch controls to training wheels for the iPhone as a social/gaming device, and that's clearly reflected in their marketing (anyone remember their "Funnest iPod" ad?).

If you want to keep using an iPod, you can always buy a secondhand 7th gen 160GB iPod Classic and it'll do the job. If the hard drive or battery's worn down or you need more space, there are plenty of guides online as well as parts suppliers that let you upgrade your iPod beyond its original limitations. My iPod has had its 20GB hard drive upgraded to a 256GB solid state unit and it's also got a custom battery that lasts longer than any modern iPhone for music playback, and the total cost for the components is less than half the price of a 64GB 2022 iPhone SE.

I'd like to think that Apple hasn't fully killed off one of the most important products in its history, rather they've retired it and handed the torch to the community to keep it alive. And for sure, the iPod modding community's more alive today than it ever has been.

---

Bonus: Here's a tongue-in-cheek ad I made for the iPod in the style of the first iPhone ads, detailing why some people still use them.
I think those of us who want a classic iPod just want them to work with bluetooth AirPods. That it. Otherwise the design is just perfection. And it’s true. I got upgraded iPod mini and iPod 5.5 gen with larger capacity battery on eBay, both have sd memory for both iPods. Battery is amazing. They work the same if not better than regular iPods. Battery is replaceable with small tools.

Reactions: ackmondual

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
I think those of us who want a classic iPod just want them to work with bluetooth AirPods. That it.

For me, casually listening around the house, I don't care for that. I do at times, when I am just sitting down in my room, reading a book or writing something, want to listen to music with a wired headphone connection at my desk in the highest quality that I can manage. I don't want the Bluetooth to drain the battery of my already compromised old iPod Classic/Nano/Shuffle, which wasn't built for Bluetooth back in the day (this is a totally different situation from the 7th Gen one that I mentioned above).

If you're talking about Apple making a completely revamped and updated version of an iPod Classic with Bluetooth capabilities (which is possible and they could do it if they wanted to), then I can understand and see that, but I wouldn't personally go to lengths to put a Bluetooth receiver into an archaic piece of technology that it wasn't built for (even with a bigger battery) because it's not worth it to me.

I think that it would take a while to get right, and it would more than likely drain the battery quicker in the long term, and be a hassle to fix/replace if something went wrong with it. If I want to use a Bluetooth headset/earphones, I will use a device that is built for it (like a newer Touch/Nano) and that was its intended purpose.

Look, I get flash modding an iPod Classic and adding a bigger battery afterwards because it can handle it fine, but I still think that adding a Bluetooth receiver is a lot of extra work, and more hassle than it's worth. Yes, it can be done, but has anyone tested it in the long term? How easy is it repair the device and maintain it? (I can't imagine it is).

I know this is a bit long, and may come across as ranting, but I still think that it is a bit of a stretch for me to push an iPod Classic that much, and not come across issues.

Reactions: philden

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I am out there. I picked up an open box 7th gen iPod Touch which I use with my bluetooth speaker at home and connected to the stereo system in the car (via a Scosche cassette tape adaptor with audio jack). I like my iPod.

I never use my iPhone or iPad for music. I certainly don’t bother streaming music. Nope.

Then again when I really like a movie or TV series I buy the physical media and don’t stream. If I own it I’m not at the mercy of streaming availability and dictates.

Reactions: Slix

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
For me, casually listening around the house, I don't care for that. I do at times, when I am just sitting down in my room, reading a book or writing something, want to listen to music with a wired headphone connection at my desk in the highest quality that I can manage. I don't want the Bluetooth to drain the battery of my already compromised old iPod Classic/Nano/Shuffle, which wasn't built for Bluetooth back in the day (this is a totally different situation from the 7th Gen one that I mentioned above).

If you're talking about Apple making a completely revamped and updated version of an iPod Classic with Bluetooth capabilities (which is possible and they could do it if they wanted to), then I can understand and see that, but I wouldn't personally go to lengths to put a Bluetooth receiver into an archaic piece of technology that it wasn't built for (even with a bigger battery) because it's not worth it to me.

I think that it would take a while to get right, and it would more than likely drain the battery quicker in the long term, and be a hassle to fix/replace if something went wrong with it. If I want to use a Bluetooth headset/earphones, I will use a device that is built for it (like a newer Touch/Nano) and that was its intended purpose.

Look, I get flash modding an iPod Classic and adding a bigger battery afterwards because it can handle it fine, but I still think that adding a Bluetooth receiver is a lot of extra work, and more hassle than it's worth. Yes, it can be done, but has anyone tested it in the long term? How easy is it repair the device and maintain it? (I can't imagine it is).

I know this is a bit long, and may come across as ranting, but I still think that it is a bit of a stretch for me to push an iPod Classic that much, and not come across issues.
Yah there’s a dude on eBay and Reddit (same guy) selling it with really good feedback.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
Having Bluetooth is like the built-in FM radio chip. The benefit of having it outweights the downsides for the people that use it.
Get a secondhand/refurbished iPod Touch with a new battery, then load it with music. It's way cheaper, and anything from the 2nd gen onwards has Bluetooth. No way anyone realistically has a music collection bigger than 64GB. Alright, okay fine. You can replace the battery easier in an iPod Classic, but paying an extortionate amount of money for one with a built-in receiver when you can just get one and attach it onto the end of your iPod ... I don't see the point.

And besides, 9/10 the audio in wired headphones is better on an iPod if you actually wanna listen to music. If you want something more portable, you don't need to bring your whole collection around. Like, if you're going to the gym or something and need a bit of music, just bring something light like a 7th Gen Nano and your AirPods.

Surely, you don't want that in your pocket when working out.

Yah there’s a dude on eBay and Reddit (same guy) selling it with really good feedback.
Feedback means nothing until you try it for yourself. If you try it and like it and it works and you're happy with it, fair enough. If not, then you can return it.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Well, what is the point of an extra music player when your MacBook, iPad, iPhone and Apple watch can do the same thing?
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet.
The iPhone keeps playing music when it’s charging¿

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?
As I said upthread I don’t use my iPhone or iPad for music. I use my iPod Touch and thats how I like it.

I had my first iPod, a Mint Green iPod Nano, as my first music device. I loved it for ten years until the battery gave out. I had that before my first iPhone. Replacing the battery solved nothing as the display wouldn’t work. So I turned my then old iPhone 4 (without SIM card) into a glorified iPod Touch. But an IP4 is heavier than actual iPod Touch so last summer I bought an Open Box of a 7th gen iPod Touch which I now use. It’s small(ish), thin and lightweight and works better than my old iPhone 4.

I just don’t like using my iPhone (I currently have an 8+) for music. I just don’t even though I know countless others do. For one thing I could never just leave my iPhone in the car which I can do with the iPod. My car doesn’t have a bluetooth or infotainment system (Thank God) so my on-the-road music comes from my iPod. This will really matter down the road when my next phone likely won’t have an audio jack.

Part of this mindset might be generational. When I grew up television was free (unless you had cable). Now you have cable or satellite and you still have to pay for extra channels. Back in the day I had access to about twenty channels and there always seemed to be something to watch. Today I have access to hundreds of channels and I can rarely find anything of interest to watch. Back in the day commercial radio music was free (and better than the music of today) and the commercials were brief. Today the music is crap no matter where you get it from, but on the commercial radio the commercials are endless, and the alternative is satellite or streaming (same thing really) to pay for what you once had free. F—that.

If I really like something I’ll buy it and own it, be it a film, a television series or a song. And I’m not at the mercy or dictates of a streaming network or service.

Last edited:
Reactions: philden

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
As I said upthread I don’t use my iPhone or iPad for music. I use my iPod Touch and thats how I like it.
If I wanted an iPod Touch as music player today I'd probably buy a cheap Android phone with lots of storage or one where I can insert a large SD card. For music it wouldn't matter that SD cards are slower.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I bought a super cheap iPhone 1st gen se. I only have music on there and no iCloud. Perfect for music only and I just leave that in my car. With airplane mode and wifi off the battery last for weeks. Entrees no aux cable in my car so Bluetooth is the only way.

Reactions: sracer

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Well, what is the point of an extra music player when your MacBook, iPad, iPhone and Apple watch can do the same thing?

The iPhone keeps playing music when it’s charging¿
Well, choices are nice. In the case of Ipod Classic (IpC), it's nice to have a dedicated device that won't eat into the battery of those other devices that fulfill roles that the Ip Classic can't. IpC can be used on the road much more conveniently (more than a laptop for sure).

On a related note, neat to hear A-Watch can do music player!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Well, choices are nice. In the case of Ipod Classic (IpC), it's nice to have a dedicated device that won't eat into the battery of those other devices that fulfill roles that the Ip Classic can't. IpC can be used on the road much more conveniently (more than a laptop for sure).

On a related note, neat to hear A-Watch can do music player!
To me phones, MacBooks are distracting from the musical experience. Yes we have tons of avenues for music but it’s annoying getting calls (telemarketers seriously!) or text messages when you want to tune out and just listen.

Also Apple Watch music player is gimp if you load music in there. It annoying. There’s errors paying files. It’s not perfect. I don’t think apple has put a lot of resources for Apple Watch offline loading.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Given the ubiquity of smart phones, makes sense that the Ipod has been EOL'd. It became mostly redundant. Those that require a portable music solution that isn't attached to their phone go with 3rd party players/dac like FiiO as mentioned. To me if you need music in that platform that's the way to go. But I use my iphone for music in my car and sometimes at work. Beyond that I don't use my portable devices for music. And that's probably a majority of people. Save the audiophiles that want a portable dac/player.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I like my iPods but I guess I’m listening to less music these days compared to 10 yrs ago. I usually have YouTube playing whether it’s current events or news. I still like my iPod on times where I want music only spaces of tjme.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Disgraceful decision? Only in the sense that Apple is abandoning much of the consumer technology it once was a leader in. I'm not only thinking portable music and radio players such as iPods, but network components such as reliable routers. All in the name of the most profit. But by narrowing their footprint, they've become vulnerable to the ups and downs of fewer key products (i.e., iPhones and Foxconn China manufacturing). The stock price has become quite dependent on those few products' success.

But not being attached to talking on the phone at all, I especially miss the small, sleek, and single purpose iPod player. Now I need to have an unnecessary phone with me (with added weight and cost) for the equivalent. Oh well.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I like my iPods but I guess I’m listening to less music these days compared to 10 yrs ago. I usually have YouTube playing whether it’s current events or news. I still like my iPod on times where I want music only spaces of tjme.
Any channels you like for events and news?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I like wion, bbc, aljizera, the Telegraph. And lots of documentaries like history timelines, info graphics, arm chair historian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.