Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?
According to MacTracker, the last iPod touch had 256GB of hard drive space, and the iPhone 13 has 512 GB of hard drive space.

The iPhone SE2 has 256GB of hard drive space and is almost the same size as an iPod touch.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My biggest complaint is my iphone pausing my songs every ten seconds because i really can’t surf the internet, or read apple news without a video trying to take control of my headphones/earphones.

That's really my only complaint about an iOS-based music player.

Using iOS 15's Focus Mode I've created a Music-only home screen and use apps such as Minimum to create nested smart playlists of my music library (since iCloud Music Library doesn't support those). That way when I really want to listen to music I can do so in a distraction free and focused setting. I even use Marvis to have a different style player to nail home that I'm in "Music Mode."

However, heaven forbid I open Reddit or nearly any website because yes - the music almost immediately stops. I really which iOS would evolve it's antiquated audio subsystem.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have lots of apps on it. What is someone like me meant to do. I love having a wide variety of music to listen to on a plane or beach without any wifi and inna few years I will simply lose that. How is this progress?
It upsets me too but it isn’t surprising.

For you, you could buy an old clickwheel iPod off eBay and convert it to flash storage to hold basically a much as you want. I have a 128GB iPod mini for example. And I recently bought a 3rd gen that I’ll be upgrading eventually too.

Reactions: Slix

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
People that want to store gigabytes of music on an unconnected device are not in the majority anymore. I used to be in the own my music camp…but having Apple Music has changed the way I find music and given me access to tons of stuff I never would have listened to if I was buying CDs. I typically listen to XM radio in the car, find something I like and Shazam it, then find all kinds of related stuff. Having the ability to get any music anywhere is much better. I travel all the time and have been able to stream music without issue. I miss the iPod days, but don’t want to relive it. Any song at my fingertips is a major win. Goodbye iPod, thanks for the memories.

I'm in both camps. I maintain a huge local library and a very good percentage of my music is not available on streaming services. But I also love discovering new music on streaming services.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
That's really my only complaint about an iOS-based music player.

Using iOS 15's Focus Mode I've created a Music-only home screen and use apps such as Minimum to create nested smart playlists of my music library (since iCloud Music Library doesn't support those). That way when I really want to listen to music I can do so in a distraction free and focused setting. I even use Marvis to have a different style player to nail home that I'm in "Music Mode."

However, heaven forbid I open Reddit or nearly any website because yes - the music almost immediately stops. I really which iOS would evolve it's antiquated audio subsystem.
???after a while this gets annoying
It would be asking too much bring back a visualizer though ??

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Apple is a mainstream company at scale now and the dedicated music market is a niche of niche. The market of people who don’t simply use a streaming service only is small. The subset that would buy a separate device is smaller still.

I would love a new modern classic, but that doesn’t fit Apple’s market. An iPhone with a bit of customization can go pretty far honestly. If only it integrates the playback control buttons of the 7th generation iPod nano.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Apple music is pretty expensive when you want to keep Amazon Music for an Alexa as well. All starts to add up. I resent having to pay for Apple Music to listen to my cds.

I really think Apple are going to annoy a lot of people who don’t want to have to listen to music all the time on a phone that will need charging A lot quicker than a iPod does. I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying another type of MP3 without actually understanding how it works and I can’t find any bigger than 64gb and I don’t understand how an sd card works and what ones accept them.

I just want something that plays all my cd’s. My current collection is just under 64gb but it will pass it soon. What would psople on here do?
You can connect Apple Music to Alexa. It works fine.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Does no one else agree with this. I mostly use my iPod when my phone is either charging or when I am out and don’t want to or don’t have access to internet. Even the best phones don’t have no where near as much storage space as an IPod does if the phone has to have rogress?
I am honestly valuing the power of no distractions. Having a phone with music has too many notifications and temptation to veer away and look at the screen. I can appreciate iPods and in fact have bought 2 modded flashed converted iPods. I really wish apple with re-release an iPod

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
Apple don't do limited edition or collectors products but one thing I always thought they should have done is release a premium iPod Classic. 1Tb flash storage, same height and width as the old Classic, Titanium back, clickwheel interface, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3.5mm jack, USB-C, IP68 and a slightly updated interface. You sell that in a package with a set of classic 3.5mm Earpods and a docking cradle for some Apple-esque price (eg $500) and watch it fly off the shelves.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Apple don't do limited edition or collectors products but one thing I always thought they should have done is release a premium iPod Classic. 1Tb flash storage, same height and width as the old Classic, Titanium back, clickwheel interface, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3.5mm jack, USB-C, IP68 and a slightly updated interface. You sell that in a package with a set of classic 3.5mm Earpods and a docking cradle for some Apple-esque price (eg $500) and watch it fly off the shelves.
They kind of did the with Apple Watch Edition, but I completely agree, All that apple needs to do is have a Pre order system so they can know how many they will need to manufacture and Hey premium ipod classics using the itunes iCloud media library for content!

I think they could make a small killing on these similarly to how Sony Walkman’s XS series Are being sold!

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
I love the iPod and was hoping a new, powerful iteration was coming: 1TB storage, better DAC, better battery life, etc.

Quite frankly the only way Apple will ever bring it back is if they go hard into the music space and release a wired headphone meant to compete with the likes of Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Hifiman, etc. There are many android based digital audio players out there but they're all severely lacking in some area (I still can't figure out which one to buy given they all seem to have at least one dealbreaker), and even never-Apple folks in the audiophile realm would, I think, buy up a premium Apple DAP that's fast, powerful, reliable, durable, and so on. But I don't know if the profit margin is ever going to be large enough for Apple to spend the time needed to do all that. There would probably also need to be a nostalgia run at the iPod the same way there's been one toward vinyl and vintage console gaming that's caused prices on those things to enter the realm of fantasyland. I mean **** I also see people with walkmans, fanny packs, dad shoes, etc every day. Nostlagia is a helluva drug. Old iPods are selling more now on ebay than they did 5+ years ago, and people are modding them to better suit current needs. Shows that there is some demand. If this accelerates maybe Apple takes notice and decides they want a piece of the pie; a collector's edition clickwheel ipod with a ton of storage for $400 could be a solid seller and I don't think it would be particularly expensive to produce. They wouldn't even need to put a decent screen in it!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I love the iPod and was hoping a new, powerful iteration was coming: 1TB storage, better DAC, better battery life, etc.

Quite frankly the only way Apple will ever bring it back is if they go hard into the music space and release a wired headphone meant to compete with the likes of Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Hifiman, etc. There are many android based digital audio players out there but they're all severely lacking in some area (I still can't figure out which one to buy given they all seem to have at least one dealbreaker), and even never-Apple folks in the audiophile realm would, I think, buy up a premium Apple DAP that's fast, powerful, reliable, durable, and so on. But I don't know if the profit margin is ever going to be large enough for Apple to spend the time needed to do all that. There would probably also need to be a nostalgia run at the iPod the same way there's been one toward vinyl and vintage console gaming that's caused prices on those things to enter the realm of fantasyland. I mean **** I also see people with walkmans, fanny packs, dad shoes, etc every day. Nostlagia is a helluva drug. Old iPods are selling more now on ebay than they did 5+ years ago, and people are modding them to better suit current needs. Shows that there is some demand. If this accelerates maybe Apple takes notice and decides they want a piece of the pie; a collector's edition clickwheel ipod with a ton of storage for $400 could be a solid seller and I don't think it would be particularly expensive to produce. They wouldn't even need to put a decent screen in it!

Maybe I'm in the super minority, but there is a single factor threw out nearly all DAPs for me and that was the lack of integration with iTunes/Apple Music for playlists. Maybe most people don't use them, but I listen almost exclusively through playlists and have many Smart Playlists that are simply not negotiable - I can't even imagine just browsing via album or folder which is what 99% of these players seem to be designed for.

In recent years, if you get an Android DAP with good enough specs for the modern OS, you can use Plexamp or the Apple Music app for playlists, but at that point you're looking at massive phone-sized or larger devices with 8 hours of battery life - might as well use my phone.

The iPod (especially modded classics) are much less fuss - just plug in headphones, scroll to a synced playlist, and listen (for days and days if you've modded with a massive battery).

----

The closet Apple would come to the market is the super high-end models with crazy profit margins. I'm thinking $800 or even more (A&K model can sell for $1,500 to $3,000) which would tie into their lossless offering. However, I don't think we'll see this kind of product again from Apple unless there is a fundamental shift in their mindset. Apple is a generalist Company (excluding the high-end Mac line) who makes products that appeal to the mass markets who enjoy streaming and wireless headphones. I would almost seem them coming out with a streaming only mini player, but then I remember that is the Apple Watch. Unfortunately, Apple no longer caters to those with large personal libraries, but we're fortunate that they still build in the functionality for people that due (I manage a large personal music library alongside Apple Music - clunky, but works).

Reactions: Slix

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Maybe I'm in the super minority, but there is a single factor threw out nearly all DAPs for me and that was the lack of integration with iTunes/Apple Music for playlists. Maybe most people don't use them, but I listen almost exclusively through playlists and have many Smart Playlists that are simply not negotiable - I can't even imagine just browsing via album or folder which is what 99% of these players seem to be designed for.

In recent years, if you get an Android DAP with good enough specs for the modern OS, you can use Plexamp or the Apple Music app for playlists, but at that point you're looking at massive phone-sized or larger devices with 8 hours of battery life - might as well use my phone.

The iPod (especially modded classics) are much less fuss - just plug in headphones, scroll to a synced playlist, and listen (for days and days if you've modded with a massive battery).

----

The closet Apple would come to the market is the super high-end models with crazy profit margins. I'm thinking $800 or even more (A&K model can sell for $1,500 to $3,000) which would tie into their lossless offering. However, I don't think we'll see this kind of product again from Apple unless there is a fundamental shift in their mindset. Apple is a generalist Company (excluding the high-end Mac line) who makes products that appeal to the mass markets who enjoy streaming and wireless headphones. I would almost seem them coming out with a streaming only mini player, but then I remember that is the Apple Watch. Unfortunately, Apple no longer caters to those with large personal libraries, but we're fortunate that they still build in the functionality for people that due (I manage a large personal music library alongside Apple Music - clunky, but works).
Smart Play lists is the only way I navigate my music library, there's no other way, from recent added songs, to sorting every single song in my library.

I'm a fool though, I feel that Apple might have finally discontinued the touch for something else, but I highly doubt it, they are just focused on everything else but the hi res music experience.

It is what is, my biggest mistake is investing so much money in my purchases that now i'm stuck with it with no way to truly enjoy my content.

I'm in the same exact boat as you, managing a huge personal library using both libraries is a monumental task and the only way to truly control it is using: itunes. Not even your ipad nor iphone can do that lol

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Quite honestly I'm surprised it didn't happen a looooong time ago. I'm sorry it sucks for your situation, but for Apple this was a long time coming.
Yeah, Apple kept saying that if someone is going to "sabotage" their own product line, they would rather it be themselves, via the IpT. However, another comment said that Apple had surplus parts and cases for the Ipod Touch. They only kept making them for so long b/c they needed a way to sell those parts into the form of some product. If this is true, it would explain why from the IpT5 to 7th gen, it had the same, dinky 4" screen. That there is why I never bothered upgrading beyond 5th gen. Prior, it's always been for a better screen (to IpT4, Retina. To IpT5, from 3.5" to 4" screen). I was going to buy a used iPhone to get that IpT experience in a larger screen (4.7" to 5.8"), but simply never got around to it all these years.

Even when I was using IpT frequently, I still had an iPod Classic for listening to music while driving, or on the road. The tactical scroll wheel, and 80 GB capacities made it far better for music. The IpT was better left it as a dedicated gaming device. Nowadays, I listen to music on YouTube through my phone, or Sirius XM. I have a backup iPod Classic and will restore songs on there if need be (I don't travel much anymore).

For the "new iOS" experience, I ended up getting a used iPad Air in 2016 (it was a 1st gen model, made in 2013). The battery took such a hit a year back that I was spending more time charging it than actually using it. 6 months ago, I purchased a new, 9th gen iPad to cover my "iOS needs".

Honestly, the iPod Touch 7 would need to be discounted by at least 50% of for me to consider buying them, that's how much value is lost on me for them! Most other variables being equal, it just made more sense to pay $40 more for a iPad.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
@OP
For standalone MP3 player replacements, consider getting a used iPhone 8 with a new battery in it. Quickie searches on Ebay show they're about $200 (USD. Dunno about UK) for 256 GB models. A someone who was a huge fan of iPod Touches, that's still a better value than a new iPod Touch 7 :D Otherwise, this thread has already mentioned plenty of standalone MP3 players of other brands. They're even better value for storage since they take micro/SD cards.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I'm also expecting the OP to say his phone plan charges him by the minute :D
Sometimes I feel people are posting from an alternate time zone. And I don't mean a few hours caused by the rotation of the earth, I mean like, from years ago. I live in the same country as OP, we fundamentally only have four networks though a whole bunch of providers tag onto them, all offering different deals. I can confirm it's literally not possible to find a provider who gives you only 2GB data allowance for £10 a month, and it hasn't been for about ten years.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Sometimes I feel people are posting from an alternate time zone. And I don't mean a few hours caused by the rotation of the earth, I mean like, from years ago. I live in the same country as OP, we fundamentally only have four networks though a whole bunch of providers tag onto them, all offering different deals. I can confirm it's literally not possible to find a provider who gives you only 2GB data allowance for £10 a month, and it hasn't been for about ten years.
I will say my jab at the OP, while in jest, was only in part, as I too am on some "old-ass", grandfathered plan (US, T-Mobile). And it was quite a while before my plan finally did away with "minutes" :eek:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I will say my jab at the OP, while in jest, was only in part, as I too am on some "old-ass", grandfathered plan (US, T-Mobile). And it was quite a while before my plan finally did away with "minutes" :eek:
It sucks how service providers are happy to leave customers like the OP on presumably an ancient plan he signed up to when the Dead Sea was being read its last rights. The whole system kinda stinks and it relies on you as the consumer checking annually with your supplier to see what upgrade deals are available. Sometimes you can get a deal from the same service provider which gives you more data for less money. But they won't tell you: they'll happily let you keep paying, in OP's case, £10 a month for a lousy 2GB of data, which wasn't particularly competitive even a decade ago.

It might seem we've drifted off topic, but actually when you bury into the issue deep enough, the whole crux of the matter is OP is sore the iPod has been discontinued because his neanderthal data plan limits his ability to stream songs the modern way.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
My iPod 5 died recently, so I looked all over for a 7th get that was not at scalper's pricing. Of all places, the local Walmart had a bunch of 32GB in stock at $199.

I really like my iPhone 13 Pro, but no way I want to carry that along while mowing, or have it out near the pool.

Just ordered an Otterbox to wrap it up, and hopefully it will work for a long time . . .

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
A few years ago I bought an iPod Nano 7th gen. I think I used it twice.
Streaming services + Apple Watch has replaced the iPod for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.