Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just watched the first episode, huge potential. Earth, Mars, the Belters, a missing girl, conflict and nukes in the 23rd Century. This may be the first SciFy scifi show that's not crap. :D

Expanse_hero_key_art.jpg

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It was ok. Needed an episode or two like quantico style where is gives you a back story rather than what feels like trying to pick up a series half way through

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Read an Expanse Prequel: Drive for free. There are 4 other Expanse short stories/novellas that are associated with Leviathan Awakes (6/15/2011), the book where the show starts. They are: (The Butcher of Anderson Station (10/17/2011), Gods of Risk (2012), The Churn (2014), Vital Abys (2015).

It was ok. Needed an episode or two like quantico style where is gives you a back story rather than what feels like trying to pick up a series half way through

That might happen. You are dropping into the story, where this is the starting point, tension between the 3 factions and a missing person. A TV show like this works better if a hook is set in the first couple of episodes. Back stories are for later after you have your audience captured. ;)

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Read an Expanse Prequel: Drive for free. There are 4 other Expanse short stories/novellas that are associated with (Leviathan Awakes- 6/15/2011) where the show starts. They are: (The Butcher of Anderson Station (10/17/2011), Gods of Risk (2012), The Churn (2014), Vital Abys (2015).

That might happen. You are dropping into the story, where this is the starting point, tension between the 3 factions and a missing person. A TV show like this works better if a hook is set in the first couple of episodes. Back stories are for later after you have your audience captured. ;)

Thanks for posting this, I didn't realize that was based on a book series.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
IMBD is showing the start of the series to begin on December 15th.

There is some confusion about this. I set it up to record and the first episode appeared on Dec 2. It looked different from a normally recorded show, like it was a link to on demand, but I have not gone to see if it is listed there. Will they broadcast this episode on the 15th? I'd say a strong possibility.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The series started with a bang. I'm 3 episodes in and it's holding up, but I can't say I'm in love yet. Anyone watching? If so what do you think?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's okay so far and I'll keep watching it.

The series started with a bang. I'm 3 episodes in and it's holding up, but I can't say I'm in love yet. Anyone watching? If so what do you think?
Have you seen episode 4 yet? I just finished it a few minutes ago. Its probably the best of the first 4 IMO. There are some good action sequences this time and a new, interesting, plot twist as well.

I can't say I'm a fan of Steven Strait, the actor who plays Jim Holden. He's not bad at it, but there is something about his style and, primarily, facial expressions that seem to annoy me slightly.

Dominique Tipper, who plays Naomi Nagata, however, is capturing my interest. I'm liking her character the most so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's okay so far and I'll keep watching it.

Have you seen episode 4 yet? I just finished it a few minutes ago. Its probably the best of the first 4 IMO. There are some good action sequences this time and a new, interesting, plot twist as well.

I can't say I'm a fan of Steven Strait, the actor who plays Jim Holden. He's not bad at it, but there is something about his style and, primarily, facial expressions that seem to annoy me slightly.

Dominique Tipper, who plays Naomi Nagata, however, is capturing my interest. I'm liking her character the most so far.

Wow, watched it last night. Episode 4: CQB featuring the fight of the MCRN Donnager (Mars Flagship) against unknown assailants was top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I will wait to see if they bring it back for a second year before I binge it. Syfy cancelled the last show I really liked, so I don't want to get too heavily invested in it. I do like the music for the trailers though! :D

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I'm starting to lose interest. It's too dark - physically. Half the time I wonder what I'm really looking at as everyone is backlit or using a flashlight. They need to connect the plot lines faster. Right now it's like three different stories, with perhaps a fourth emerging.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I will wait to see if they bring it back for a second year before I binge it. Syfy cancelled the last show I really liked, so I don't want to get too heavily invested in it. I do like the music for the trailers though! :D
It's actually already been renewed for second season earlier this week.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm starting to lose interest. It's too dark - physically. Half the time I wonder what I'm really looking at as everyone is backlit or using a flashlight. They need to connect the plot lines faster. Right now it's like three different stories, with perhaps a fourth emerging.

While I have yet to put all the pieces together, it strikes me as one primary story, a Cold War between Earth and Mars, in combination with the OPA- Outer Planet's Alliance, a worker right's group frequently referred to as terrorists. Into this mix, an unknown agressive force appears, with advanced technology, attacking Belter and Martian ships, having destroyed 3 ships and at least one facility.

And that girl Joe Miller (Thomas Jane)is searching for, appears to be involved in some manner with these events and in the pilot, I assume on the initial ship that sent the SOS, she observed something disturbing and deadly, possibly alien that appeared to be consuming/absorbing a human body.

I'm in. :D

Last edited:

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Yea, I see all the pieces and how they will eventually go together, I'm just ready to see them start to make progress. Right now they're still spending a lot of time on character development. Bah. That should come with plot, not at the expense of plot.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yea, I see all the pieces and how they will eventually go together, I'm just ready to see them start to make progress. Right now they're still spending a lot of time on character development. Bah. That should come with plot, not at the expense of plot.

My critique: I don't think the character development in The Expanse is all that wonderful. How is it, I can find every character in some shows compelling (Sense 8, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Walking Dead), while I feel every character in The Expanse, including Thomas Jane is expendable? This must be a calculated approach involving writing, filming, direction, coldness, focus, and probably some aspect I'm having trouble putting my finger on. I'm just not vested in any of The Expanse characters. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.