Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's still bonkers to me that it was cancelled.

Serious and hard sci-fi just doesn't attract many viewers, unfortunately. New sci-fi that isn't built on an existing franchise like Star Trek needs to have something take the edge off a bit, like comedy (The Orville), or have the sci-fi bits be less central to the plot (Westworld).

But that also makes it perfect for streaming, where it does not have to justify taking up a timeslot on linearly scheduled programming. It can just exist for its niche audience and thrive that way.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, the SyFy channel really dropped the ball on that.
I’m halfway though season 3, and season 4 is just around the corner. Maybe it was planned to resolve the story, or complete the arc? I read Just the first book, maybe they don’t want to continue past the books?
[automerge]1571671347[/automerge]
Serious and hard sci-fi just doesn't attract many viewers, unfortunately. New sci-fi that isn't built on an existing franchise like Star Trek needs to have something take the edge off a bit, like comedy (The Orville), or have the sci-fi bits be less central to the plot (Westworld).

But that also makes it perfect for streaming, where it does not have to justify taking up a timeslot on linearly scheduled programming. It can just exist for its niche audience and thrive that way.
I could see that.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
It was cancelled because SyFy didn't own it. They only got first-run airing rights; no money from streaming or anything. They figured they'd get more money from shows they had at least partial ownership of since they'd get more revenue in the long run. But since it's an Alcon Entertainment show rather than a SyFy show, they were free to get it distributed elsewhere.

--Eric

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It was cancelled because SyFy didn't own it. They only got first-run airing rights; no money from streaming or anything. They figured they'd get more money from shows they had at least partial ownership of since they'd get more revenue in the long run. But since it's an Alcon Entertainment show rather than a SyFy show, they were free to get it distributed elsewhere.

--Eric
On Amazon, The Expanse is listed as an Amazon Original, so is it cancelled? My TV Time App shows Season 4 starts Dec 13, 2019, but I don’t know if that is accurate.

I started off not liking Caminia Drummer, but she’s grown on me. ?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished season 3 and loved it, outstanding characters all around. I did not find the the story to be predictable which made it really good. I’ve got this elevated to Battlestar Galactica Status. :)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
On Amazon, The Expanse is listed as an Amazon Original, so is it cancelled? My TV Time App shows Season 4 starts Dec 13, 2019, but I don’t know if that is accurate.

I started off not liking Caminia Drummer, but she’s grown on me. ?

Yes, syfy dropped it and amazon picked up the series and will release season 4 just before x-mas as an amazon original. i hope they continue the show for a few more seasons and bring it to a conclusion.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, syfy dropped it and amazon picked up the series and will release season 4 just before x-mas as an amazon original. i hope they continue the show for a few more seasons and bring it to a conclusion.
The last season opened a ton of possibly new story lines or at least new destinations. The question becomes how will the proto-molecule play into the next season. :)

This series was up, down, I quit, read the book, back in, wow! I went though a period of acclimation as it grew on me. ?

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
On Amazon, The Expanse is listed as an Amazon Original, so is it cancelled?

No, it's not cancelled anymore. Amazon saved it. It's pretty cool to watch the video where they announced it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, it's not cancelled anymore. Amazon saved it. It's pretty cool to watch the video where they announced it.

Was that at Comic-Con or something else? I wonder if FX suddenly had doubts? :)

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm excited that it was Amazon that picked it up. Bezos is reportedly a massive expanse fan, so this could very well be seen as a pet project for him to keep going and actually get the money / production values that it deserves (it wasn't bad before, but Amazon has a lot more acces to funding for a show like this than SyFy)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In prep for season 4, which is now streaming, I rewatched the season 3 final. It’s as good as I remember it. On to the 10 episodes of season 4. :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
In prep for season 4, which is now streaming, I rewatched the season 3 final. It’s as good as I remember it. On to the 10 episodes of season 4. :)

It was good, but too short. I love that Amazon, Netflix, etc are making their own programs, but the seasons aren't long enough.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It was good, but too short. I love that Amazon, Netflix, etc are making their own programs, but the seasons aren't long enough.
I agree, but this seems to be the reality. I remember when seasons were at least twice as long, say 24 episodes in a season. I assume regular network tv is longer, but I’m not watching anything on regular network tv at the moment.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m up to S4:E7 and although this is good, in comparison to the three previous seasons it is slow moving. Is that good, or good enough? I’m just not that enamored with the planet story, the Belters vs the Earthers, Murtry and the mysterious structures activating. I assume the it will accelerate in the last 3 episodes.

edit: Finished S4, it was good enough to keep watching. I was sad to see
CDR Ashford

E989AD3D-3A0D-471D-A923-F2C9D3637C81.jpeg
go.

Last edited:

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Wow. The finale of season 5 was quite good.

As I basically posted elsewhere:
TIL there have been different “after shows” than what’s up on YouTube on the Amazon Prime channel (Ty and that guy). For Ty and that guy (the actor who plays Amos), see https://www.youtube.com/c/PrimeVideo/search?query=expanse aftershow.

On the X-Ray content for eps in at least S4 and S5, at least on iOS clients, under bonus content is another after show that’s 3-5 minutes long.

It doesn’t seem to exist on their Roku 3, Apple TV 4K and Android TV/Google TV clients. At least on iOS you can’t cast those short after shows and they also block AirPlay from an iPad of that content.

I've been going thru them backwards starting from end of S5. I'm now at the end of S4.

Side notes:
was amusing has shouldn't have any spoilers if you've already finished S4. Also, before the finale of season 5 "aired", we learned Alex played by Cas Avnar won't be back for S6 due to https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-ex...ion-sexual-misconduct-allegations-1202971689/ and https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-6-alex-cas-anvar-controversy-exit/.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow. The finale of season 5 was quite good.

As I basically posted elsewhere:
TIL there have been different “after shows” than what’s up on YouTube on the Amazon Prime channel (Ty and that guy). For Ty and that guy (the actor who plays Amos), see https://www.youtube.com/c/PrimeVideo/search?query=expanse aftershow.

On the X-Ray content for eps in at least S4 and S5, at least on iOS clients, under bonus content is another after show that’s 3-5 minutes long.

It doesn’t seem to exist on their Roku 3, Apple TV 4K and Android TV/Google TV clients. At least on iOS you can’t cast those short after shows and they also block AirPlay from an iPad of that content.

I've been going thru them backwards starting from end of S5. I'm now at the end of S4.

Side notes:
was amusing has shouldn't have any spoilers if you've already finished S4. Also, before the finale of season 5 "aired", we learned Alex played by Cas Avnar won't be back for S6 due to https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-ex...ion-sexual-misconduct-allegations-1202971689/ and https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-6-alex-cas-anvar-controversy-exit/.
Thanks for reminding me I need to watch this season. :)

Reactions: cwerdna

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Wasn't a fan of the season overall (Still think the best season is Season 2) but that was an awesome finale. Really looking forward to the final season.

Reactions: cwerdna

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
BTW, regarding Cas Avnar (Alex) not coming back for S6, https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=598625#p598625 mentions how he was supposedly digitally removed from the finale. I don't know if that's confirmed. I heard they also did some other editing tricks in the finale since supposedly filming was already done when he got the boot.

Regarding this season, OMG, re: Marco. Man, they made him so evil. It's kinda weird to see interviews w/the actors who play Marco and Drummer w/o their Belter accent and as normal people.

Also, AFAIK, season 6 will be the show's final season.

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Only one more season then, huh? Oh well, to paraphrase Berkeley Breathed, “a good tv show is as immortal as a ripe watermelon.” I started reading the books, so I’ll have to be content with those.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Only one more season then, huh? Oh well, to paraphrase Berkeley Breathed, “a good tv show is as immortal as a ripe watermelon.” I started reading the books, so I’ll have to be content with those.

How do the books line up with the tv show?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.