Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoomerM3

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
Florida
I have been able to read from flash drives, SD cards and an SSD. All without problems. I tested writing to a few different media. All my flash drives (formatted Fat32) allow writing. However, it’s very slow – like 2.5 minutes to write 10 jpg files.

Trying to write to my Samsung T5 (formatted exFat) immediately results in an ’Input/Output” error.

I think it is safe to assume that the Beta software will only write to Fat32. Surely, developers are aware of this and will correct it soon!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think it is safe to assume that the Beta software will only write to Fat32. Surely, developers are aware of this and will correct it soon!
Yeah. Considering FAT32 has maximum supported drive size of 127GB, we can be certain that Apple won’t allow a USB drive feature to not even support their own “superior” HFS+ and APFS.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Well, it’s still a disaster.

Plugged in my Samsung T5 and G-Drive Mobile. Tried to copy files across. Previously I could get 15-20 RAW photos. Now it dies after a few, or after none at all.

Worse yet, it actually has a bug now where you can copy something in one drive and paste it to that same drive (I was going to test compressing a folder in my test area and sending that over) and it will actually paste it to a different drive instead! It pastes it to whatever split view window is open next to it, even if you hold down on the drive you want and select paste! This time it also failed to even start copying when I made a video of it, which you can watch here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2sg2gx89baam77/RPReplay_Final1565917805.MP4?dl=0

What a mess. And we’re what, a month away from release?? And it’s actually regressing.

Reactions: Jailbreaking Bad

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I hope everything is ironed out by GM, otherwise I will upset and laugh at the same time.
Time is running out and it’s only getting worse. Unless we see some big improvements next week, I can’t see them shipping this and it will probably get bumped to 13.1 or 13.2.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
Time is running out and it’s only getting worse. Unless we see some big improvements next week, I can’t see them shipping this and it will probably get bumped to 13.1 or 13.2.
Send an email to Craig, he responds personally sometimes

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I would send feedback with the video. I’m going to test this later cause this needs to be fixed for files to be useful. I’ll do SD to SSD drive then ssd to same ssd drive. It really never worked for me, often hanging with no progress.

from the last beta, swiping to view images in files is slower again, often hanging making it impossible to view images. I have to open an image exit the viewer then tap on another one.

BoomerM3

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
Florida
Tested copying again. Seems a slight change. I can now write to my Samsung T5 (ExFat) - BUT only 11 files. Then it blows up with an I/O error. I think someone left a debugging aid in the software :)

Another issue is that Lightroom cannot see any external storage device. Perhaps this is an Adobe issue. Or a limitation of iOS 13.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Tested copying again. Seems a slight change. I can now write to my Samsung T5 (ExFat) - BUT only 11 files. Then it blows up with an I/O error. I think someone left a debugging aid in the software :)

Another issue is that Lightroom cannot see any external storage device. Perhaps this is an Adobe issue. Or a limitation of iOS 13.
Are you submitting bug reports?
Since some people report not having problems, it’s crucial that the people that do have problems report them.

BoomerM3

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
Florida
My bug reports are just sitting there as 'open' and "less than 10 similar reports". Are we the only beta users that are trying to use the files capability?

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
My bug reports are just sitting there as 'open' and "less than 10 similar reports". Are we the only beta users that are trying to use the files capability?
Not sure. But what I want, I don't want to buy laptop anymore. I want something replaceable keyboard because 3 my windows laptop after 1st year broken and the current fiasco of butterfly making me rather want iMac combo iPad for work.

Last edited:
Reactions: harriska2

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017

iCloud Drive folder sharing and pinning files have been removed since beta 6. I suspect these will get bumped to 13.1

Reactions: macduke

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

I agree. Files is a hot mess right now and considering how awfully bad it is right now I don’t see how it will be ready by Sept.

JonathanGunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Poole, Dorset, UK
I have a iPad Pro 2018 12.9". I tried playing a video clip directly from an SD card recorded on my GoPro Hero 6 in 1080P 60 FPS. The payback was woeful to say the least! Dropping frames left right and centre. Copied the 30 second clip to a folder on the iPad and it played back perfectly using Files. Suggest they have some data throughput issues with the external storage. Copying to the iPad folder was also slow no UI feedback on the progress.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
SMB is still a mess, can’t even remove the server I’ve connected to, tapped connect to server then tapped the i and then tapped remove and the server is still listed.

This close to GM the files app shouldn’t still be this broken

Koshington

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2019
Yep Beta 8 same ’Input/Output” error.
Running on latest ipad. Tried everything - writing to ipad first then onto sandisk SSD - card straight to SSD - compress, copy, move etc.
Nothing works

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Can read my pen drive but not my 4TB external drive formatted NTFS, a part of me didn’t expect it to work. I hope it’s because it’s just a beta, but on the other hand every TV I’ve owned has read the drive fine and played files from it.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
When I click on a file I would like to open in an app that is supported, ie .gpx file in a Navigation app, I am just offered to download it. I then get the file in the Downloads folder in Files. But there is no way of sending it on to other apps. Do we have to wait for all app developers making iOS13 apps for this to work?
When I select Share I can't see any of the apps that can accept a GPX file. Only Health, Messenger etc which i don't need.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
You can. Pull down a little on the files/folders in view to get a toolbar
On that note, is there not an option to have folders listed first, then files, all in alphabetical order? I swear this had been a standard since as long as I can remember but I’m not seeing that option

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
On that note, is there not an option to have folders listed first, then files, all in alphabetical order? I swear this had been a standard since as long as I can remember but I’m not seeing that option

Sort by kind, then sort by name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.