Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Sort by kind, then sort by name.
Could you please provide more info? If I sort by Kind, folders are listed first, with files in alphabetical order but separated into different file types (not what I’m looking for). If I click the “Name” sorting option the folders are no longer prioritized at the top and everything in the folder is put in alphabetical order.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Could you please provide more info? If I sort by Kind, folders are listed first, with files in alphabetical order but separated into different file types (not what I’m looking for). If I click the “Name” sorting option the folders are no longer prioritized at the top and everything in the folder is put in alphabetical order.

If you switch between kind and name a few times it will eventually be in name order with folders first.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I had a bit play with this today. Connected a PCIE SSD drive (500gb) in a USB C enclosure high speed data/power cable.

I was able to browse, select, save and share jpgs, raws and DNG files. Using share I was able to import directly into LR.

Connecting a SD card via an Anker USB C 2 in 1 card reader and the results were the same.

Exporting files from LR. LR doesn't see external drives at present but I was able to export full size files to Files and iCloud.

I still prefer Capture One Pro but for the most part, LR on the iPad Pro seems to work ok.

iPad Pro 11" Running latest PB
Camera files. Sony A7riii Raw files and Leica Q DNG & JPG files.
PCIE SSD Volume formated as APFS

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Weren't they supposed to add support for APFS at some point? Does anyone know if they have? I don't have any external drives formatted APFS but I might move to that if it works better.

I had a bit play with this today. Connected a PCIE SSD drive (500gb) in a USB C enclosure high speed data/power cable.

I was able to browse, select, save and share jpgs, raws and DNG files. Using share I was able to import directly into LR.

Connecting a SD card via an Anker USB C 2 in 1 card reader and the results were the same.

Exporting files from LR. LR doesn't see external drives at present but I was able to export full size files to Files and iCloud.

I still prefer Capture One Pro but for the most part, LR on the iPad Pro seems to work ok.

iPad Pro 11" Running latest PB
Camera files. Sony A7riii Raw files and Leica Q DNG & JPG files.
PCIE SSD Volume formated as APFS
I also have a Sony a7R III. Using the smaller 12-bit compressed RAW, I still have issues. Have you tried copying a batch of photos? That's what kills it for me. The biggest problem is trying to move files between drives. I have a HyperX USB-C hub and card reader for iPad Pro, and I have I/O errors trying to move files across from the SD card to my external Samsung T5 SSD on EXFAT. I've heard other people have had better luck with HFS.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Weren't they supposed to add support for APFS at some point? Does anyone know if they have? I don't have any external drives formatted APFS but I might move to that if it works better.

I also have a Sony a7R III. Using the smaller 12-bit compressed RAW, I still have issues. Have you tried copying a batch of photos? That's what kills it for me. The biggest problem is trying to move files between drives. I have a HyperX USB-C hub and card reader for iPad Pro, and I have I/O errors trying to move files across from the SD card to my external Samsung T5 SSD on EXFAT. I've heard other people have had better luck with HFS.

I was using an external PCIE SSD drive with APFS formatting and just copied a dozen files (uncompressed 85mb a7riii files). Took about 5-10 secs to complete the transfer from the SSD to Lightroom. Same using the Anker USB C card reader. Using the card reader to import into LR had a bit of quirkiness. The first attempt showed three instances of Affinity Photo app and no LR. 2nd attempt showed LR and just one Affinity Photo.

Reactions: macduke

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
13.1 beta seems to be working much better for me. I was seeing some errors after updating to 13.1 via OTA from 13.0 Beta 9, but after doing a fresh install of 13.1 beta 1 from IPSW via my iMac I am now able to copy large folders of large .MKV files to my Sandisk Extreme 480 usb-c external SSD formatted in exFat. The transfer speeds seem to be quite a bit slower (especially writing files from the iPad to the SSD) than performing the same transfers to/from my 2017 iMac, but it IS working. At least in a few repeated initial tests.

There’s hope yet that the external drive support will be ready for launch

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
13.1 is a step back for my ipad pro 12.9 1st gen. The move cursor by turning the keyboard into a track doesn’t work most of the time. Some pages won’t load and I have to use a different browser. And other oddies I didn’t have on previous 13.x betas.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
i maybe a late update.. but after update today my ipad mini 2019 saying need more power for pendrive? ouch

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
13.1 is a step back for my ipad pro 12.9 1st gen. The move cursor by turning the keyboard into a track doesn’t work most of the time. Some pages won’t load and I have to use a different browser. And other oddies I didn’t have on previous 13.x betas.
You may have misposted: this thread is about the files app in iOS 13/13.1. You may want to post in the general iOS 13.1 beta 1 thread.

BoomerM3

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
Florida
With 13.1, I am now able to copy files to my SSD. However, when copying from an SD card directly to the SSD (using a hub adapter) additional files are created. For each image (jpg) another file is written to the SSD.

The new file with binary file contents indicates it is Mac OS X. The file is named like this -> ._IMG_0977.JPG and it's 4KB. It will not open as a jpg file. The original file is IMG_0977.JPG and 13Mb. The same type of file created when copying an html file.

The problem is this is done for EVERY file copied. If I copy 200 jpg files to the SSD, the iPad creates 200 of these new files. This obviously slows the file copy and wastes disk space.

Is this a bug, feature, or normal behavior for an iPad?

Koshington

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2019
Oh No!
Everything seemed to be working better for me on iOS13.1 but I’ve just found a new brick wall.
I can no longer upload folders of images to my Zenfolio account.
The file App in just this version has taken away from me the ability to just drag & drop ‘folders’ of images to my site and added hours to my workflow by only permitting me to upload an image at a time from that folder
If I try to upload a folder I get a new dialog that says ‘Importing one item. One item remaining’ - then hangs..
Its not the browser as I’ve tried Safari & Chrome or the website itself. gutted.
Any advice from others that get it to work would be greatly appreciated!
5CA5544B-1CB4-4809-B39F-A59C38B39E86.png

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
With 13.1, I am now able to copy files to my SSD. However, when copying from an SD card directly to the SSD (using a hub adapter) additional files are created. For each image (jpg) another file is written to the SSD.

The new file with binary file contents indicates it is Mac OS X. The file is named like this -> ._IMG_0977.JPG and it's 4KB. It will not open as a jpg file. The original file is IMG_0977.JPG and 13Mb. The same type of file created when copying an html file.

The problem is this is done for EVERY file copied. If I copy 200 jpg files to the SSD, the iPad creates 200 of these new files. This obviously slows the file copy and wastes disk space.

Is this a bug, feature, or normal behavior for an iPad?

This also happens in OS X. The files contain meta data.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I can no longer upload folders of images to my Zenfolio account. ... If I try to upload a folder I get a new dialog that says ‘Importing one item. One item remaining’ - then hangs.. ... Any advice from others that get it to work would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 856278

Sounds like a bug that will be fixed if it's reported by someone. Be glad that it's still a beta and as such doesn't affect anyone's productivity or livelihood.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
The iPad has a lot of potential, but after trying to use the files app this weekend for work, all I can say is that Apple is giving users half assed features that just don’t work.

1) why on earth can’t I play a video file straight from my external hard drive without copying it to the iPad itself?

2) cannot connect to my synology NAS no matter what I try when my MacBook has absolutely no issues

3) files app fails to handle large file transfers, either hangs or crashes

Sad!

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
The iPad has a lot of potential, but after trying to use the files app this weekend for work, all I can say is that Apple is giving users half assed features that just don’t work.

1) why on earth can’t I play a video file straight from my external hard drive without copying it to the iPad itself?

2) cannot connect to my synology NAS no matter what I try when my MacBook has absolutely no issues

Sad!
1. at first i pretty weird on file management. I install vlc but it only play video on it's folder only then i click at right box with arrow and i try to choose vlc and it play .. volla..
** the video transfer from air drop
** apple should stop copying to icloud thing.. i just want to transfer to my ipad from imac.

2.. unsure.

3. even using air drop the write is slow.. i'm not sure about transfer via usb c ipad air/pro.
** i think they tweak the current which now usbc can handle transfer data but forget the lightning which before working but not.. Either they need to produce a usb c,lightning hub with extra electric power juice for ipad and other connection.

BoomerM3

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
Florida

Sad!
I just played an mp4 file from my flash drive - no problems.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
VLC isn't updated for iOS 13 yet. I can play a mkv video off a networked drive in VLC.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I used a lightning to USB Apple brand adapter and it wouldn't read a regular thumb drive saying it required power. Then I used an SD card in a USB adapter, plugged it into the lightning to USB adapter and it worked. I was able to see all the image files but it was slooooooow.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Another way to look at it, is that it's not working right now, but fortunately Apple has 45-50 days to get this ready. It's a tent pole feature, so I'm going to give Apple the benefit of the beta and say that it'll be sorted out in time.

Calling myself out on this. You all know firsthand that it's not ready, and Apple isn't calling it ready, but deferring it to a later update.

Just admitting that I was wrong.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Release day for iPadOS is finally here. It was even a little late and 13.1. And yet I'm still having issues.

First of all, my SD card, even though macOS and my a7R III could read it fine, required me to format it in my camera before my iPad Pro would read it.

Second of all, my Samsung T5 SSD (USB-C) and G-Drive portable 2.5" HDD (USB-A 3.0) mounted fine. When the SD card wouldn't mount, I unplugged those drives. When I got the SD Card to mount, the Samsung T5 wouldn't mount until I plugged it back into my iMac. I had it in my iMac moving files around before putting it into the iPad Pro and it was fine, but then after putting it back into my Mac the drive was acting weird and refused to dismount even though I didn't have anything at all using it (I even closed out of every single app). Eventually after a half hour it released it.

Once I got the SD card and T5 to both mount with my HyperDrive USB-C Hub for iPad Pro, it was fine when I just tried moving 60 42MP RAW photos (about 41-43MB each), which was about three times more than I ever got to move on 13.0 betas. Though it did lock up at first and on my iMac I noticed that it said it was preparing to copy them. Apparently it was putting them all into iCloud copy/paste and that's why everything froze up because that was a couple gigs.

So then I tried to do something I would typically do, which is to move an SD card that was about 2/3 full. I usually use 64GB cards, so I tried moving the entire 43GB off my card by dragging and dropping the DCIM folder and it seemed like the progress circle was moving and making progress. Well, it seems like it failed at some point while I was lifting weights because when I got back my iPad was asleep and the T5 was disconnected (the SD card was still mounted) and I had to try replugging it a few times to get it to show back up.

So what I tried next was to go into my DCIM folder, select the images folder, and then go to select, then select all, then this time tapped move and selected my T5. So now it is currently moving each photo individually, and it seems like it just finished, and I scrolled through all of them and it moved all 1100+ except it looks like three of them messed up, lol. They're grayed out and won't open and instead of today's date like all the others, it shows the date it was shot on. Weird. Only thing I can think of is this time I tried to stay close to it so it wouldn't sleep (I was browsing the web and then started writing this post) and it did briefly go to sleep and I immediately woke it back up seconds later, so maybe the three simultaneous transfers it was moving during that time had a failure? Still pretty ridiculous that it doesn't seem to keep file transfers alive while the iPad is sleeping. I get that it wants to save battery because the drives are using power, but at least wait until the end because that kinda ruins my whole day when I have to babysit multiple SD card dumps.

So yeah, the files app is still a bit of a disaster. It has improved quite a bit, but this is iPad OS 13.1. It should be solid by now. I was right to be worried that it wouldn't be ready in time for launch. Maybe for casual users who are just moving a few files around, but not for professionals—and "Pro" is in the name, after all. I'm sure it will take several more iterations and quite a bit of time before I begin to rely on it for any sort of serious workflow. I still make backups of my drives before plugging them in because I don't trust it, which completely negates the functionality to need to have a Mac to make sure nothing goes wrong and then to plug drives into to get them to be recognized on the other side. Maybe it comes down to my SSD being EXFAT or the SD card being EXFAT, but that's what it formats to when I format in-camera so that's probably what it needs, right? And EXFAT is supposed to be supported and is probably used in lots of digital cameras. I have a Sony a7R III which is from a very popular line of professional mirrorless cameras and came out less than two years ago.
[automerge]1569386074[/automerge]
Calling myself out on this. You all know firsthand that it's not ready, and Apple isn't calling it ready, but deferring it to a later update.

Just admitting that I was wrong.
Takes a lot to admit that, thanks. The reason I made the thread was that it seemed so bad that I had a hard time believing it would be ready in time for launch and hoped that more people would file reports. And here we are and it still doesn't quite work right. I know that I don't feel safe relying on it. It has come a long way for sure, but it's still too finicky and prone to failure. It's a shame. Hopefully 80% of these issues will be ironed out in the next point update and by spring we'll be golden, but it's going to take some time to earn that trust. Until then I'll still be lugging my MBP around just to dump photos on the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.