Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
We need to know what hardware you have, see your config.plist and the KP ( screenshot/photo )

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
Anyone who wants to install the latest Catalina 10.15.4 DP3 on Hackintosh will get the full installer by downloading the Catalina update from Mojave 10.14.6. It is probably a mistake by Apple to provide the full installer (for a clean reinstallation or to install over it on a Catalina 10.15.4 DP2) for the DP3.

If someone has 2 macOS on an SSD, Mojave AND Catalina, then you should give it a try. For me it worked perfectly, on my 2 Hackintosh PCs. The normal updates from Catalina 10.15.4 from DP2 to DP3 now failed for me. In Clover there was no option to install the DP3 after the download.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I've just swapped out my Nvidia card for a cheap RX570 from eBay to try and get off High Sierra. Having some trouble with the Catelina installed: I get a kernel error trying to boot it. Think it might by apfs.efi related

I had a lot of trouble after this switch with graphics freezes. Enabling the IGPU fixed that so at least my current OS is working fine again

I had the 570 in my gaming pc for a bit. It performed well under windows and was able to take a hefty overclock. I think a lot of the 560/570's are just 580's that weren't up to the task of a 580, as I also had a 480 that was flashed to a 570 for comparison of performance and there was little to no difference.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
So my first Hackintosh build was a success thanks to Technolli over at Youtube.com, and a post on tonymacx86.com by giggamax. Other's too, through random google searches.

The machine is a Lenovo M93p Tiny. It is slightly smaller than the Mac mini, however it includes a VESA mount with DVD add-on, so it becomes taller than a Mac mini. Specs are respectable being a dual core i5 4570T, with an optional upgrade to a quad core i7 4765T. 16gb Ram, HD4600 (1.5gb VRAM) graphics on the i5 but the upgraded 4765T has Iris? Maybe? I forget... Anyhow, a 480gb SSD... I think I got everything there. Also, it is running macOS Catalina and quite nicely as well. No wifi or bluetooth either, but I don't use those features anyways, but it can be added easily.

The only issue I have is wake from sleep, as it will restart after it wakes from the sleep and returns to either desktop or login screen. I have found some fixes but so far the two I have tried have not worked. This isn't a huge issue as I just disabled computer sleep and enabled monitor sleep as usual. If anyone has a fix for this, it would be cool. I am new to hackintoshing, so be easy on me.

I started the process following two guides from Technolli, one making the USB stick, and the other adding in the proper plist file and installing the system. I then did a little research into a few things and discovered the guide on tonymac by giggamax. This updated clover and added better suited kexts, however, I have seen no difference between the two sets of kexts, but the updated plist worked well and as a bonus it simplified the boot loader screen. The "wakefromsleep" issue persisted throughout all of this. Nothing has seemed to remedy it. Not deleting the power management plist, which allows the OS to recreate it after reboot, nor did changing a few settings in bios.

IMG_2427.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg
IMG_2428.jpeg

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
So my first Hackintosh build was a success thanks to Technolli over at Youtube.com, and a post on tonymacx86.com by giggamax. Other's too, through random google searches.

The machine is a Lenovo M93p Tiny. It is slightly smaller than the Mac mini, however it includes a VESA mount with DVD add-on, so it becomes taller than a Mac mini. Specs are respectable being a dual core i5 4570T, with an optional upgrade to a quad core i7 4765T. 16gb Ram, HD4600 (1.5gb VRAM) graphics on the i5 but the upgraded 4765T has Iris? Maybe? I forget... Anyhow, a 480gb SSD... I think I got everything there. Also, it is running macOS Catalina and quite nicely as well. No wifi or bluetooth either, but I don't use those features anyways, but it can be added easily.

The only issue I have is wake from sleep, as it will restart after it wakes from the sleep and returns to either desktop or login screen. I have found some fixes but so far the two I have tried have not worked. This isn't a huge issue as I just disabled computer sleep and enabled monitor sleep as usual. If anyone has a fix for this, it would be cool. I am new to hackintoshing, so be easy on me.

I started the process following two guides from Technolli, one making the USB stick, and the other adding in the proper plist file and installing the system. I then did a little research into a few things and discovered the guide on tonymac by giggamax. This updated clover and added better suited kexts, however, I have seen no difference between the two sets of kexts, but the updated plist worked well and as a bonus it simplified the boot loader screen. The "wakefromsleep" issue persisted throughout all of this. Nothing has seemed to remedy it. Not deleting the power management plist, which allows the OS to recreate it after reboot, nor did changing a few settings in bios.

View attachment 899330 View attachment 899331 View attachment 899332

Just an update, but using an Opencore boot loader and the system is flawless.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Even the sleep issue?

Yes! Same guy from YouTube, Technolli, has an opencore haswell video. I followed along that and the end result, everything works as it should. Haven’t tested updates but I installed the latest anyways. If you need help finding his video lmk. This guide should work for all major intel generations and I can help find the website I used, which is also provided in the video.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Yes! Same guy from YouTube, Technolli, has an opencore haswell video. I followed along that and the end result, everything works as it should. Haven’t tested updates but I installed the latest anyways. If you need help finding his video lmk. This guide should work for all major intel generations and I can help find the website I used, which is also provided in the video.

I forgot to mention, it's possible that you can somewhat repair sleep by eliminating hibernation via the terminal.

Refer to this link.
And this.

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
Just followed this guide. It was easier starting from scratch with OpenCore than it was converting my Skylake build from Clover to OpenCore.

Reactions: amgff84

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Okay folks, I came across a free Toshiba Satellite c50a with i3-3110m and hd4000 graphics and 8gb RAM. Multi part question.
No guides available so I’m going to try to hackintosh this via opencore. Should I try hfs+ on High Sierra or APFS on Catalina. I have a spinning disk drive. I could upgrade to SSD, but I’m also aware that since introduction, APFS on spinning drives, including HDD and Fusion, has worked. Thoughts and opinions?
I think opencore works as far back as High Sierra, but is that because that’s when APFS was introduced and opencore requires it?
I have ran APFS on a spinning disk for a short time recently and didn’t experience anything bad, but knowing that it wasn’t solid at the time, I switched it to hfs+ on High Sierra.
Anyone have similar machines and have successfully hackintoshed it? Looking for open core guides on similar Ivy Bridge machines as guidance so I’m not as alone, however, opencore creator does have a GitHub site with very good directions.
Thanks!
I will post results. I will also give a brief walkthrough if it will help anyone else.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Don't know about laptops, but I would start here:

Laptop guide

Thanks, I have been working on this for about 8 hours roughly. Small breaks here and there. I have learned that this machine uses Ivy Bridge CPU but uses Sandy Bridge chipsets... Holy cow. I'm not one to quit but Win10 is looking mighty fine on this machine. ?

In all seriousness, I am going to give it a bit and see what I can do, but work in the morning and a long day tomorrow.

Thanks again.
[automerge]1586756907[/automerge]
So, I bought an inexpensive walmart special as backup to my hack. Wanted to see how hard it was to hackintosh an AMD Ryzen...... It was super easy......

View attachment 901968

These are impressive specs for a BUDGET Hackintosh. Nice!

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
It came with 8 GB ram and a 4 GB MSI RX580, still not bad for less than $850 out the door. I spent twice that when I built my Skylake rig 4 years ago. Since I use the new one more I swapped the video cards :cool:

Reactions: amgff84

MooffooM

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
The work on OpenCore for the 5,1 to support Catalina has inspired me to try to fix GPU passthru for ESXi...

Background: GPU passthru for ESXi has been broken since Mojave, I am trying to see if a combination of OpenCore and WhateverGreen can fix this.

System : Dell server with E5-2600 V3 series processors, ESXi 6.7u3, unlocker 3.0, AMD RX580 video card. As a baseline I configured passthru for a windows 10 client and it works perfectly...

Step 1: Configure a Catalina 10.15.4 guest with passthru: system information lists the "display" adapter as a GPU on PCIe, correctly shows vendorID and board ID. Does not detect attached monitor and no video output.

Step2: Install OpenCore, Lilu, and WhateverGreen. VIrtualSMC and -no_compat_check are not needed. System boots to OpenCore boot picker, after timeout or hitting enter the system boots to Catalina. System information now shows "Radeon RX 580" GPU on PCIe, but again does not detect attached monitor and no video output

Step 3: enabled WhateverGreen debug output. See attached logs.

Any help/pointers on what is going on wrong would be appreciated. I am new to WhateverGreen; hopefully the attached output will reveal an obvious problem to someone more familiar to WhateverGreen...

Attachments

• debug.JPG
    debug.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 97
  • OpenCore.JPG
    OpenCore.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 101

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I started with opencore but got stuck a few times. I found a clover tutorial for a lenovo machine with the same chipset and CPU. Installed it and seems to be working as normal. No BT or WiFi, or LAN. I tried 3 cards I had but none would work, so I ordered a supported WiFi card because I don't do dongles. For now, running an old AC600 dongle to test. This is a decently responsive machine and it boots almost as fast as my opencore m93p Catalina machine. This machine can be had on ebay for well under $100 so I will post my EFI after this is 100 % or as close to it.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
About a month ago I built my first Hackintosh in over thirteen years, to replace an aging maxed-out late-2012 iMac.

I started with Clover and 10.15.3, but have since moved to OpenCore on 10.15.4 - it has worked perfectly since day one. Also, it handles 1440p~4K games with ease, in Windows. And cost less than half what a comparable iMac Pro would have. SO, yay.

• Asus Prime Z390
  • Core i7-9700k
  • 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200
  • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (x2)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Fenvi T919 (WiFi + Bluetooth)
  • Corsair rm750x
  • Noctua NH-D15s
  • Meshify C case (white)
  • assorted internal SSDs and SSHDs for backups, etc
And here's what it looks like:

IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

My kids (10 and 12) helped put it all together, which was a lot of fun for them and scared the hell out of me. lol. But they did a great job. And at the end of the day, we have a great machine that we put together ourselves that runs Catalina far better than a lot of real Macs. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 129

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
About a month ago I built my first Hackintosh in over thirteen years, to replace an aging maxed-out late-2012 iMac.

I started with Clover and 10.15.3, but have since moved to OpenCore on 10.15.4 - it has worked perfectly since day one. Also, it handles 1440p~4K games with ease, in Windows. And cost less than half what a comparable iMac Pro would have. SO, yay.

• Asus Prime Z390
  • Core i7-9700k
  • 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200
  • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (x2)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Fenvi T919 (WiFi + Bluetooth)
  • Corsair rm750x
  • Noctua NH-D15s
  • Meshify C case (white)
  • assorted internal SSDs and SSHDs for backups, etc
And here's what it looks like:

View attachment 906737

View attachment 906736

View attachment 906738

My kids (10 and 12) helped put it all together, which was a lot of fun for them and scared the hell out of me. lol. But they did a great job. And at the end of the day, we have a great machine that we put together ourselves that runs Catalina far better than a lot of real Macs. :)

That is beautiful.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Practicing my Hackintosh skills. Finally found a use for this old girl.

Dell D630C w"upgraded" T9500 C2D @ 2.6ghz, 128gb SSD, 4 GB 800mhz DDR2RAM. This has the NVidia Quadro 135m OB graphics. I figured this would be a fun practice project while I wait for parts to come in for the Hackintoshiba. I haven't tested all the ports but USB's seem to work. Only real issue is the touchpad works...ish. The touchpad kext in there now is the better of what I tried so far for this ALPS touchpad, but no options in preferences. I can't be too picky with a 13-year-old machine. I will say my first 2 installations worked smoother but the 3rd finally got all the specifics right however, there is a choppiness to it even though I used supported and known working graphics.

Can't complain old but cool.

IMG_2664.jpeg
IMG_2662.jpeg

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
Hey all, i am really stuck at one point.

I am a mac pro user. But need to replace that old beautiful thing with a hackintosh.
I am still searching, and cant decide about motherboard. Definitely will go with a micro atx board. z370 or z390 chips. There are lots of fixes now, but some say it is more stable on z370, what do you think about that?

Also what brand do you offer.
Asus, Msi, Gigabyte? Does it really matter that much about stability.
Thanks.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Hey all, i am really stuck at one point.

I am a mac pro user. But need to replace that old beautiful thing with a hackintosh.
I am still searching, and cant decide about motherboard. Definitely will go with a micro atx board. z370 or z390 chips. There are lots of fixes now, but some say it is more stable on z370, what do you think about that?

Also what brand do you offer.
Asus, Msi, Gigabyte? Does it really matter that much about stability.
Thanks.
There is a Buyer's Guide at tonymacx86.com as well as a User Builds and Golden Builds forum section that has build guides. These two forum sections will give you an insight to various motherboards for their user's needs. The actual components will depend upon your driving requirements for use of a computer.

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
There is a Buyer's Guide at tonymacx86.com as well as a User Builds and Golden Builds forum section that has build guides. These two forum sections will give you an insight to various motherboards for their user's needs. The actual components will depend upon your driving requirements for use of a computer.

Mostly checked them. Will look once more.

I am doing music production. Live performing, editing, mixing at home.
Also doing video editing and 3d modelling,
Autocad, sketchup etc.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I wouldn't build a hackintosh for production.
Just my experience, they can be great when they are working but when an update rolls in or something goes wrong, you could easily be spending a full day or weekend beating your head against a keyboard figuring it out.
And when do issues come up? Right when you are in a time crunch and need the machine to work.

I've dabbled in the hackintosh space since my first somewhere around 2005'ish.

About to finish up another hackintosh soon but only because I have a stable mac workstation and time on my hands recently.
I wish lots of patience and excellent googling skills for anyone making their primary machine a hackintosh though.
Good Luck.

love the tonymac site, wealth of knowledge there. Go read, read again, grab a drink, keep reading.

• Love
Reactions: TheStork
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.