Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
Adobe. Stopped using them after I got burned with the PPC to Intel transition. They are relics from an era when Adobe had little competition. Now, there are swarms of image editors and drawing apps. The iOS, ironically, began to loosen their grip on their hedgemoney.

I use Affinity Photo, Design and Publisher. No renting.

They're all superb. On a bed rock of great technology.

There are plenty of alternative image edit and drawing apps. (Procreate being outstanding on the iPad.) Painter 2020, Manga studio, Pixelmator, the Affinity Photo which is brilliant. And that's without trying too hard. Much cheaper no rent warez.

As for Morgonaut, if she's going to use her time, it's up to her to 'monetise' it or not. The videos don't cost you. And I've learned quite a bit about Hackintosh's from the videos which you can all watch for free. I think the virtualisation thing is her setting it up for you on a personal time basis.

Someone can give their time for free. Others charge for it.

Apple certainly charge you for their time. They charge you $700 for wheels...on a £6k Mac Pro.

Azrael.
[automerge]1588266185[/automerge]
Hey Azrael...

Glad to share some insight. I spent too much time trying to figure out what x570 board t pick out to use as a hackintosh. I haven't built a PC for close to 10 years and after all this time, it's not any more difficult. If anything, the updated case designs and UEFI firmware makes it easier. While I didn't think LED lighting would make a difference, it looks damn cool. The most difficult thing to install was the AMD wraith cooler. Watching a video on Youtube showed the easiest approach. On the subject of Youtube, I've found the OpenCore tutorials from TechTunerLife are the easiest to follow and end up with a stable / working hackintosh with one try. With this build spec, you're looking at MP 7,1 performance on a Mac Mini Budget.

Re the MSI Tomahawk - hold your breath as to when it shows up from overseas. Today there is hype, proof will show up when the product arrives in the channel and beyond the hands of reviewers.

FWIW.. I use my AMD Hackintosh as a production development workstation more than for entertainment. Although booting into windows for games and VR serves a great purpose in the evening.

Hopefully, I'll get the benefit of your extensive motherboard research. If Apple don't release a new iMac at WWDC, I'll probably pull the trigger on your spec Re: above. I hear what you're saying re: MSI on the 570 mobo. It'll be a wait. I'd rather just get the Gig' Mobo. Be good to get the Gig' Mobo and GPU. Your insight into the Mobo is important. it's an area many don't give enough thought to and it can help with thermals, performance or upgrade path if you get the right one. And you can probably get a mobo that can perform as well as one that costs twice as much or one, in Hack' terms that provides better compatibility.

I'll check out the link of the OpenCore tutorials from TechTunerLife. The idea of getting a stable Hack' 1st off the bat is mighty fine by me. MP 7, 1 performance on a Mac Mini budget is the dream sweet spot for me.

Your last line echoes my thoughts. Workstation production/development with the odd boot into games via Windows.

Azrael.

Last edited:

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
The thing I don't like about the x570 boards out there now is, just about every one of them will block the cooling fan for the chipset if you install a graphic card into the PCIe x16 slot. This forces you to use the x8 slot if you don't want your MB to get hot!
The MSI boards seem to be the exception.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The thing I don't like about the x570 boards out there now is, just about every one of them will block the cooling fan for the chipset if you install a graphic card into the PCIe x16 slot. This forces you to use the x8 slot if you don't want your MB to get hot!
The MSI boards seem to be the exception.

Question:
  • Does an AMD 5700XT running on PCIe 4.0 at 8x = AMD 5700XT running on PCIe 4.0 at 16x?
  • Is there any performance difference for a AMD 5700XT running on PCIe 4.0 on x16 vs x8
If not, move the card to slot #2. Problem solved.

Reactions: robbieduncan

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Question:
  • Does an AMD 5700XT running on PCIe 4.0 at 8x = AMD 5700XT running on PCIe 4.0 at 16x?
  • Is there any performance difference for a AMD 5700XT running on PCIe 4.0 on x16 vs x8
If not, move the card to slot #2. Problem solved.
There's a 1% difference at 1080p or 1440p and 0% difference at 4K.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
Do you have more information on this?

Basically, she has patreon style subs. From free to 'some money.'

If you want her to set up a machine for you. Eg. Virtualisation with something she has used her time to put together and again, using her time to set up your rig (or help you to...) then yeah, a nominal fee is charged. Not an earth shattering amount. But to get a production 'pro' helping you out with their time then you have to decide whether that is beneficial...and how confident you are to just follow the free videos.

If you can follow the free videos of hers you need not pay her anything at all.

There's also Snazzy Labs Hack videos.

And loads of other places to get advice to build Hacks. Like this very good thread. :)

Azrael.

CrazyCarnage

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Usa
Installing osx 10.6.1 on dell latitude d520

Yes I have a dell latitude d520 Sandy bridge core two duo laptop with 2.0 GHz CPU and 4 gigs of ddr2 ram and I have iboot 2.7.2 and I'm using it to install snow leopard and here is how far I'm getting I'm getting the white apple install screen with the spinning symbol below the Apple logo and after it stops spinning I am getting a black screen while the Mac osx retail DVD is still spinning in my DVD drive what can I do to get past the black screen please help

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Please help, any input or advice appreciated. Questions at end of post, if you don't feel like reading my STORY.

Hey friends, going to attempt another Hackintosh on Opencore. I have 2 cpu options;

i5 4570 = 3.2Ghz with 6MB cache and 4 cores no HT, so 4 threads. 84 watt TDP.
i7 4765t = 2.0Ghz with 8mb cache and 4 cores with HT, so 8 threads. 35 watt TDP.

This is for a Lenovo M93p Tower (not Tiny) build with RX 460 GPU. I am open to other CPU options, but this is what I already own so far. (Some Xeon model works in here, but will be shipped from China or local stock is too expensive to justify for the age).

Both seem like great options, and I am actually using the i7 in the Tiny, which seems faster than the original i5-4570t that came in this machine. The bios between the tiny, sff, and tower all use the same update (I think) so this would lead me to believe that the CPU's should be cross compatible assuming the TDP is allowed, so we couldn't use a non-t variant on the Tiny, but you could use a t variant on the Tower, or SFF. I could be wrong.

The Tiny model does use a desktop processor, and I think the t variant in the tower would be a great option as a way to reduce TDP to allow more overhead for the RX 460... Not that it's a powerhouse, but the power supply is only 280 Watts. Currently the M93p Tower has a Radeon HD 7450 GPU which has a lower TDP than the RX 460.

It's a mixed bag of results whether the RX 460 will work with the Lenovo, or even the macOS. I have have read posts where it didn't for either, but also read posts where it did. I am hoping for the best here but I don't know what to expect. lol! Would be nice to have DX12 support.

As a side note, the Lenovo M93p Tiny is a perfect Mac mini clone, with everything working on Opencore 0.5.6. I tried the latest open core, but for some reason it just didn't work. The iGPU is even decent being Intel HD4600, for basic things. I wanted to set myself up with a little bit better of a machine, so I wanted the option for a better performing, or at least more modern, dGPU.

Questions I would like your help with;

1. Can I swap out processors like that on an OEM machine?
2. Which CPU would be better, or which would you prefer? One excels in single core, and the other in multi core.
3. What is your opinion on this GPU, I know it's crap, but do you think it will work on macOS?

Please understand that I am just trying to build a decent machine, and not a powerhouse. My budget doesn't allow for a new build at this time, otherwise I'd build a Ryzentosh. Besides, I am partial to these Lenovo machines... They are so ugly that they look cool.
[automerge]1589293764[/automerge]
Basically, she has patreon style subs. From free to 'some money.'

If you want her to set up a machine for you. Eg. Virtualisation with something she has used her time to put together and again, using her time to set up your rig (or help you to...) then yeah, a nominal fee is charged. Not an earth shattering amount. But to get a production 'pro' helping you out with their time then you have to decide whether that is beneficial...and how confident you are to just follow the free videos.

If you can follow the free videos of hers you need not pay her anything at all.

There's also Snazzy Labs Hack videos.

And loads of other places to get advice to build Hacks. Like this very good thread. :)

Azrael.

Snazzy is cool. Check out his siblings band Silver Cup. Night Games is a good song.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm thinking of selling my iMac Pro to build a PC, and I want Windows and Hackintosh. I'm a beginner in building a PC, but it seems like fun and because I'll have a lot of time soon. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of maybe starting with a good motherboard to be future proof and slowly upgrade the parts. I do graphic design and have been upscaling videos to 4K using AI.

What do you recommend?

CrazyCarnage

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Usa
Dell latitude d520 and witch version of osx will work on it

Yes I have a dell latitude d520 with a Sandy bridge core two duo that's 2.0 GHz and 4 gigs of ddr2 ram and 120gb ssd and in trying to find a working patch and wondering witch version of osx will run on this laptop I've seen several YouTube videos where people show this laptop running osx from bootup and I've tryed osx 10.6.1 with iboot legacy 2.7.1 and no luck could someone who has installed Mac osx on this same laptop please tell how they did it and what files I need to download and burn in CD or DVD to get this working please it would be greatly appreciated

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019

Yes I have a dell latitude d520 with a Sandy bridge core two duo that's 2.0 GHz and 4 gigs of ddr2 ram and 120gb ssd and in trying to find a working patch and wondering witch version of osx will run on this laptop I've seen several YouTube videos where people show this laptop running osx from bootup and I've tryed osx 10.6.1 with iboot legacy 2.7.1 and no luck could someone who has installed Mac osx on this same laptop please tell how they did it and what files I need to download and burn in CD or DVD to get this working please it would be greatly appreciated

I had HS on my D630 using the Tony method. WiFi and BT was obtained from a card out of a MacBook 5,2. I think you could go to Catalina, but youmight need a WiFi dongle because that card from the 5,2 was dropped. I may be mixing up my hackintoshes, so do your own research, but, TonyMacX86 method will work.
[automerge]1589473608[/automerge]

Just remembered, it only would work on the nvidia graphics, so it may not work on that machine.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Please help, any input or advice appreciated. Questions at end of post, if you don't feel like reading my STORY.

Hey friends, going to attempt another Hackintosh on Opencore. I have 2 cpu options;

i7 4765t = 2.0Ghz with 8mb cache and 4 cores with HT, so 8 threads. 35 watt TDP.

This is for a Lenovo M93p Tower (not Tiny) build with RX 460 GPU. I am open to other CPU options, but this is what I already own so far. (Some Xeon model works in here, but will be shipped from China or local stock is too expensive to justify for the age).

Both seem like great options, and I am actually using the i7 in the Tiny, which seems faster than the original i5-4570t that came in this machine. The bios between the tiny, sff, and tower all use the same update (I think) so this would lead me to believe that the CPU's should be cross compatible assuming the TDP is allowed, so we couldn't use a non-t variant on the Tiny, but you could use a t variant on the Tower, or SFF. I could be wrong.

The Tiny model does use a desktop processor, and I think the t variant in the tower would be a great option as a way to reduce TDP to allow more overhead for the RX 460... Not that it's a powerhouse, but the power supply is only 280 Watts. Currently the M93p Tower has a Radeon HD 7450 GPU which has a lower TDP than the RX 460.

It's a mixed bag of results whether the RX 460 will work with the Lenovo, or even the macOS. I have have read posts where it didn't for either, but also read posts where it did. I am hoping for the best here but I don't know what to expect. lol! Would be nice to have DX12 support.

As a side note, the Lenovo M93p Tiny is a perfect Mac mini clone, with everything working on Opencore 0.5.6. I tried the latest open core, but for some reason it just didn't work. The iGPU is even decent being Intel HD4600, for basic things. I wanted to set myself up with a little bit better of a machine, so I wanted the option for a better performing, or at least more modern, dGPU.

2. Which CPU would be better, or which would you prefer? One excels in single core, and the other in multi core.
3. What is your opinion on this GPU, I know it's crap, but do you think it will work on macOS?

Please understand that I am just trying to build a decent machine, and not a powerhouse. My budget doesn't allow for a new build at this time, otherwise I'd build a Ryzentosh. Besides, I am partial to these Lenovo machines... They are so ugly that they look cool.

Okay, so the update... It works nicely.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019

So the Hackintosh build was a success. I ran into problems at first because of a bad ethernet port, but was solved by a Mac and Lenovo compatible PCIE wifi card. I have a few PCI ethernet card coming too, but not sure what will work. The build so far;

-M93p Tower, this is a mini tower, not a full ATX. Also, not the Tiny or SFF version.
-i7-4765T 2 GHz Base Clock QC8Thread (removed i5-4570 QC due to power concerns with the RX 460 This i7 is a 35Watt CPU).
-8 GB RAM, another 8 on order (I will try to add a 2gb stick to see if it will exceed Lenovo's 16 GB max for the board as the chipset and CPU actually support 32 GB).
-Sapphire RX460 2 GB (Weak, but it's only a Mac for basic home use.
-240 GB SSD and 750 GB HDD as a "fusion" drive with almost 1 TB of storage.
-Fenvi WiFi card (Mac Compatible).

That's all I can think of for now. I used the i7 for two main reasons, even though it is slower on the base clock, it is a CPU with hyperthreading, plus, it has a very low power requirement. The RX 460 requires 4 times more Wattage than the original AMD card that was in here. Given the drives, RAM, CPU, and GPU, the 280 Watt PSU was just right. These are OEM power supplies and will not accept any PSU (maybe with adapters, but I was plug and play).

flyperson

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Yes! Same guy from YouTube, Technolli, has an opencore haswell video. I followed along that and the end result, everything works as it should. Haven’t tested updates but I installed the latest anyways. If you need help finding his video lmk. This guide should work for all major intel generations and I can help find the website I used, which is also provided in the video.

Hi, I too followed Technolli to create an Opencore Hackintosh based upon the Lenovo M93p Tiny. It works beautifully with the exception that when it wakes from sleep (going to sleep is fine) it freezes after about 10 seconds activity, then requiring a manual reboot. Always. I followed Tecnolli's instructions to the letter. My machine is identical with the singular exception that it uses the i5-4590T, which is a quad core processor, but still uses HD4600 graphics etc. I've tried fiddling with hibernation mode per your suggestion, but I'm still having the same problem. Do you have any ideas? I see from comments on that YouTube video that I am by no means alone and Technolli is yet to reply.

I'd really appreciate some guidance as I'd like it to replace my ageing 2011 Mac mini as my main machine. Regards and Tia.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Hi, I too followed Technolli to create an Opencore Hackintosh based upon the Lenovo M93p Tiny. It works beautifully with the exception that when it wakes from sleep (going to sleep is fine) it freezes after about 10 seconds activity, then requiring a manual reboot. Always. I followed Tecnolli's instructions to the letter. My machine is identical with the singular exception that it uses the i5-4790t, which is a quad core processor, but still uses HD4600 graphics etc. I've tried fiddling with hibernation mode per your suggestion, but I'm still having the same problem. Do you have any ideas? I see from comments on that YouTube video that I am by no means alone and Technolli is yet to reply.

I'd really appreciate some guidance as I'd like it to replace my ageing 2011 Mac mini as my main machine. Regards and Tia.

Are you on open core or clover? Open core should work just fine, but clover will need special SDST’s plane into ACPI... I believe. Also, I had sleep issues on clover. Open core worked actually better than my Mac mini.

flyperson

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Thanks. On Opencore and honestly followed the video perfectly (as far as can tell). Thanks for getting back to me. Processor is i5-4590T btw. I suppose I could start from scratch as your sleep works, but I'm loathed to that as it's so good in every other respect.
[automerge]1589824857[/automerge]
Are you on open core or clover? Open core should work just fine, but clover will need special SDST’s plane into ACPI... I believe. Also, I had sleep issues on clover. Open core worked actually better than my Mac mini.

Thanks. On Opencore and honestly followed the video perfectly (as far as can tell). Thanks for getting back to me. Processor is i5-4590T btw. I suppose I could start from scratch as your sleep works, but I'm loathed to that as it's so good in every other respect.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
[automerge]1589824857[/automerge]

On my tiny with the i5 4570t and i7 4765t Sleep worked like stock. On this Lenovo tower, its missing from the preference panel, it instead does a partial sleep. No crashes or anything. I’ve read other posts elsewhere that their cpu choice might be the root of the problem. It needs to be supported by Lenovo. Also, make sure you’re on open core 0.5.6 and not the newer 0.5.7 or 0.5.8 as I also had issues with those.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
It seems like the Holy Grail of hackintoshing is "sleep". Mine doesn't sleep so no problem.

On my m93p tiny sleep worked fine, on my tower version which uses the same bios, sleep only works if you select it from the menu, which is how I like sleep. I just use a screensaver for 15 minutes and then put the monitor to sleep. I like my machine on during the day, my laptop is a different story. That thing needs to sleep.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
On my m93p tiny sleep worked fine, on my tower version which uses the same bios, sleep only works if you select it from the menu, which is how I like sleep. I just use a screensaver for 15 minutes and then put the monitor to sleep. I like my machine on during the day, my laptop is a different story. That thing needs to sleep.

Laptops…yep.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Laptops…yep.

Laptop Hackintoshing is, in my opinion, hard. I'll stick with my antique MacBook 5,1 because it works well for what I need. I have tried 3 hackintosh laptops in different varieties and couldn't get any of them to function even 70% of a desktop hack. My desktop hack, from what I can tell, works 95% of a real Mac. Only sleep is the real issue, and it does sleep only if manually selected. I have seen others say that their real Macs are also missing this option. As I mentioned already, I want my machine one during the day.
[automerge]1589860577[/automerge]
Hi, I too followed Technolli to create an Opencore Hackintosh based upon the Lenovo M93p Tiny. It works beautifully with the exception that when it wakes from sleep (going to sleep is fine) it freezes after about 10 seconds activity, then requiring a manual reboot. Always. I followed Tecnolli's instructions to the letter. My machine is identical with the singular exception that it uses the i5-4590T, which is a quad core processor, but still uses HD4600 graphics etc. I've tried fiddling with hibernation mode per your suggestion, but I'm still having the same problem. Do you have any ideas? I see from comments on that YouTube video that I am by no means alone and Technolli is yet to reply.

If you want a quad core cpu, use the i7-4765t. It is hyper-threaded too, so you'll have a total of 8 threads. It works with the tiny as it is an option with the machine stock. I got mine for $80, which was kinda worth it. Let me know how you make out with your set up, you should have no issues. Ohh! also, try updating the bios first, it will need to be done in Windows and through a DOS like program they have. It's not too bad, read the readme file accessible through the website. That might add support for that CPU!

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Well, this is awkward. I disabled the screensaver and un-checked "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off", let the monitor go to sleep, and came back some time later to a sleeping machine. So this works as usual, I guess the screensaver running in the background was preventing sleep, so it would just stay partially awake due to power nap? Power nap is enabled on my machine to allow backups or other things in the background.

Last edited:

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Looking for advice.

My system, which is a Lenovo M93p Tower, has an RX 460 and an i7-4765t. Both combined can get used without upgrading my 280 Watt PSU. These are both low power devices. I have Windows installed for gaming, as I am trying to get away from subscription services like GeFarce Now and Shadow.

I just ordered an RX 570 ITX, as I know it will fit in this machine better, and I know these perform awesome as I have owned them in the past. I also just ordered a larger PSU effectively doubling the available wattage (600 Watts). I have headroom now to reinstall the original i5-4570 cpu (which uses 3 times the wattage of my i7 T-branded cpu). In regards to gaming, is a hyper threaded i7 better than a straight 4 core CPU? The i7 is 2ghz and the i5 is something like 3.2ghz, or is the i5 better because the higher bas frequency?

What would you have in your system?

This is an awesome Hackintosh system that runs the latest macOS on open core, but also dual boots Windows effortlessly for gaming. I am building a mid/low end system that runs macOS, but I also need it to run games in Windows. I am getting rid of Shadow and GeForce now, which are great platforms to game on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.