Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Man I've been a real fool the last couple of years messing around with Cmp's ...just got my hackintosh up an running and boy am I satisfied. A 4790k at 4.5 on a gigabyte ud7-TH , h100i , 840evo, hx750w and a 980ti with 3x27 cinema displays. Define r4 with everything noctua All running 10.10.4 with iMessage working. I tried hackintosh back in 2012 with a asus board and I wanted to kill myself but now them clover boys have got something special going.

I never want to use, see or hear a cmp ever again. I can't even hear my hack and with water cooling I can really tax dat ass on my cpu
It's funny I just went the opposite way, I'll pick up my cMP later this afternoon.

Reactions: JimmyPainter

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
It's funny I just went the opposite way, I'll pick up my cMP later this afternoon.
I hadn't looked at anything hackintosh for about 2 years and when I noticed my room was getting super warm last month from having both a 2012 12 core cmp and my gaming pc running simultaneously I went on tonymacx86 to read up on everything new. Installed 10.10.4 and really tested out everything. The next day I ebayed my cmp.

Hopefully the honeymoon feeling will last a long time.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
I hadn't looked at anything hackintosh for about 2 years and when I noticed my room was getting super warm last month from having both a 2012 12 core cmp and my gaming pc running simultaneously I went on tonymacx86 to read up on everything new. Installed 10.10.4 and really tested out everything. The next day I ebayed my cmp.

Hopefully the honeymoon feeling will last a long time.

I had the same problem with the 2006 Mac Pro. The 2008 Mac Pro isn't much different. A fully loaded x5690 cMP with dual CPUs would only run even hotter as those draw a lot more power.

Granted, during the winter, the Mac Pro did serve as a nice heater for my feet.

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I have to say that with the specs of some of the new Z170 boards with multiple M2 x4 slots and NVME support then a hackintosh is starting to look interesting. Hopefully once new iMacs are out the the hack community can start getting this stuff to work.

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
Reopening this thread...

Towards the end there are several "I'm going from a cMP to Hackintosh" or vice-versa posts. Those of you who have made the transition recently, how has it gone?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Building a Skylake now. 6700K overclock to 4.5Ghz. I will check InsanelyMac to see how they are going. Apparently only El Capitan can run on this chipset properly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 352

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Reactions: CooperBox

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
Building a Skylake now. 6700K overclock to 4.5Ghz. I will check InsanelyMac to see how they are going. Apparently only El Capitan can run on this chipset properly.

Good luck with that. I took advantage of some holiday sales to buy the parts for a Hackintosh but am unsure now if I should go ahead with the build or return them. (I did the same thing last year and ended up doing the latter.) I opted for a 4790K - seemed easier for a potential first-time Hackintosh.

My cMP has more than enough raw power for my needs (Lightroom and Photoshop), and there are a few upgrades I could still do, but realistically it's a dead platform with no obvious replacement for those who value internal storage and GPU upgradeability. Meanwhile on the Hackintosh side, the advances with Clover are really impressive and from the outside look pretty stable.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Good luck with that. I took advantage of some holiday sales to buy the parts for a Hackintosh but am unsure now if I should go ahead with the build or return them. (I did the same thing last year and ended up doing the latter.) I opted for a 4790K - seemed easier for a potential first-time Hackintosh.

My cMP has more than enough raw power for my needs (Lightroom and Photoshop), and there are a few upgrades I could still do, but realistically it's a dead platform with no obvious replacement for those who most value internal storage and GPU upgradeability. Meanwhile on the Hackintosh side, the advances with Clover are really impressive and from the outside look pretty stable.

Your Devil's Canyon is just as fast as a 6700K, just consumes more power.

Just finished the build and installing software. With a safe 4.5Ghz overclock, with no case, only the CPU fan, and just four cores I got this in Geekbench...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 404

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005

Just finished the build and installing software. With a safe 4.5Ghz overclock, with no case, only the CPU fan, and just four cores I got this in Geekbench...

I am very tempted to build myself a hackintosh. I've had a skylake build specced out for awhile but can't quite pull the trigger on it. I still am not very interested in doing the legwork to get OS X running and maintained on unsupported hardware. Guess I'm waiting until apple gets around to updating the mac pro.

TheRacerMaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012

Yep, Skylake is a really nice platform. I'd recommend running OS X 10.11.2 for maximum Skylake compatibility (it fixed some issues related to Intel xHCI; however, I don't think USB 3.1 works yet). What motherboard & GPU are you using?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Yep, Skylake is a really nice platform. I'd recommend running OS X 10.11.2 for maximum Skylake compatibility (it fixed some issues related to Intel xHCI; however, I don't think USB 3.1 works yet). What motherboard & GPU are you using?
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Thunderbolt 3 GTX980. Some people have it at Insanely but only get the basics working, even then some of it is not direct support. Wish people would post complete cloned system images online. It would save so much time.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Completed the build with an NZXT H440 case. It has the minimalism and same height of the cMP along with a mirrored door, space for 8 drives, four large quiet fans, LEDs at the rear so you can see the ports, and front mounted USB 3 ports perfect for Oculus. You can see I'm using the water pipe holes to pass through a security lock. This Skylake system is around 21-22c idle temperatures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 371
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
4.7Ghz is the safest overclock you can get with 6700K and standard air cooling. At 4.8Ghz it will freeze and reboot. I have seen only one reviewer achieve this speed with regular liquid cooling. But anyway, almost 20K on Geekbench with just four cores. The single core result is almost twice as powerful as the X5690 Westmere.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 322

TheRacerMaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Thunderbolt 3 GTX980. Some people have it at Insanely but only get the basics working, even then some of it is not direct support. Wish people would post complete cloned system images online. It would save so much time.

Looks like it should work fine, LAN is Killer E2400 (will work with AtherosE2200Ethernet by Mieze) + Intel i219-V (will work with updated IntelMausiEthernet by me + jsmcconn). However, there are various things that might take some more work, like the Creative Sound Core3D codec. USB will probably need an injector kext (for USB 3.0, USB 3.1 status is currently unknown). TB3 is probably never going to work in OS X until Apple adds it to their Macs.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Looks like it should work fine, LAN is Killer E2400 (will work with AtherosE2200Ethernet by Mieze) + Intel i219-V (will work with updated IntelMausiEthernet by me + jsmcconn). However, there are various things that might take some more work, like the Creative Sound Core3D codec. USB will probably need an injector kext (for USB 3.0, USB 3.1 status is currently unknown). TB3 is probably never going to work in OS X until Apple adds it to their Macs.
OSX doesn't currently support any USB 3.1 10gbps Asmedia or Alpine Ridge chipsets. I don't think it supports the integrated Intel graphics in the Skylake either. So I'm trying to find out how they boot into El Capitan to install and enable the Nvidia web drivers.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
iGPU support is somehow there but making heavy artifacts. You should be able to boot El Capitan with any OOB supported GPU (or Maxwell GPU /w nv_disable=1) as long as Pikes APIC patch is in place.
Since you have a standard UEFI motherboard you'll have basic video output even without any drivers in place.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
iGPU support is somehow there but making heavy artifacts. You should be able to boot El Capitan with any OOB supported GPU (or Maxwell GPU /w nv_disable=1) as long as Pikes APIC patch is in place.
Since you have a standard UEFI motherboard you'll have basic video output even without any drivers in place.

Thank. So when I do this I will remove the GTX980 first and try to install El Capitan with basic video before installing Nvidia drivers. But I really need a straight forward guide to know what needs patching first. Or maybe just wait for El Capitan's successor Nacho Libre which should have support for more features.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Going to follow this thread a bit :) chuckle at Nacho Libre.

Seeing this thread made me realise how many computers I have at home. I've got a problem. One of the beasties is what I call a Big Hac. When I broke my 2006 iMac by trying to remove dust from under the screen I replaced it with a Hackintosh (budget...) which has two issues:

1. broken sleep (sometimes it gets memory leaks and sometimes not, hoped Capster would fix that, but it didn't)
2. NVidia card (for example after 10.11.2 update I had to run it off internal Intel graphics, which irritatingly will give me 2560x1440 on loading screen but not on the actual system screen), download NVidia driver, install, restart.

That's it. I scratch my head sometimes reading horror stories from people with "real" Macs having all sorts of problems. I have the infamous wifi issue on every Mac except the 2011 iMac (why?), the Hackintosh has it too, but I don't think it's because it's a Hack, it's just Apple being Apple. Other than what I listed the experience is smooth (and fast). But it's not thin at all and you can update components :(

TheRacerMaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Thank. So when I do this I will remove the GTX980 first and try to install El Capitan with basic video before installing Nvidia drivers. But I really need a straight forward guide to know what needs patching first. Or maybe just wait for El Capitan's successor Nacho Libre which should have support for more features.

You can keep the GTX 980 installed and boot with nv_disable=1 as a boot argument to prevent the default NVIDIA drivers from loading. I'm currently working on getting GenericUSBXHCI to work on 10.11...perhaps I could add xHCI 1.1 (USB 3.1) support...

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Check out this Devil's Canyon build

Reactions: scott.n

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
Check out this Devil's Canyon build

I've seen that video before - it helped convince me to start down the Hackintosh path. Hope to assemble mine this upcoming weekend.

I really like the EVGA case too, though I opted for a Fractal Design Define R5 and full ATX mobo.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I've seen that video before - it helped convince me to start down the Hackintosh path. Hope to assemble mine this upcoming weekend.

I really like the EVGA case too, though I opted for a Fractal Design Define R5 and full ATX mobo.
Define was my first choice but I couldn't find one in store and needed a case ASAP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.