Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Disappointing there have been little to no developments in the high powered workstation class of hacks. I know Rampagedev and Punknugget recently put a lot of effort into a new dual CPU build without much success :(

There are dual CPU linux builds out there almost breaking the 100k geekbench mark!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Disappointing there have been little to no developments in the high powered workstation class of hacks. I know Rampagedev and Punknugget recently put a lot of effort into a new dual CPU build without much success :(

There are dual CPU linux builds out there almost breaking the 100k geekbench mark!

Probably because a vast majority want an xMac

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Probably because a vast majority want an xMac
This would be a lot easier if Apple kept making the Mac Pro the way it used to be instead of making that barely upgradable designer trash can.

It would also be nice if they made a mid-level Mac tower with specifications which are good, but not over-the-top; something like a 3.7 Ghz i3, four RAM slots, 8-16 gigabytes of RAM and two or three PCIe slots, selling for $1000-$1500.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
This would be a lot easier if Apple kept making the Mac Pro the way it used to be instead of making that barely upgradable designer trash can.

It would also be nice if they made a mid-level Mac tower with specifications which are good, but not over-the-top; something like a 3.7 Ghz i3, four RAM slots, 8-16 gigabytes of RAM and two or three PCIe slots, selling for $1000-$1500.

And I want a pony, in case you have not noticed Apple could care less about selling a user upgradeable anything. It is all about the lock in so you need to buy the next new shinny if you want improved performance.

Reactions: p.l

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
And I want a pony, in case you have not noticed Apple could care less about selling a user upgradeable anything. It is all about the lock in so you need to buy the next new shinny if you want improved performance.
Yeah, I know. That change occurred a year after Tim Cook took the helm. Build quality and software quality declined and upgradability was sacrificed in his effort to increase profits. That might seem fine in the short term, but not in the long term. Apple will probably lose Mac users as a result of its bad decisions, or more people will make Hackintoshes. I would think Apple would want to be able to make more money off Mac Pros and mid-level Macs towers than to make Hackintoshes the only option for gamers. Especially since this is one of the most common complaints among Windows supporters.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Yeah, I know. That change occurred a year after Tim Cook took the helm. Build quality and software quality declined and upgradability was sacrificed in his effort to increase profits. That might seem fine in the short term, but not in the long term. Apple will probably lose Mac users as a result of its bad decisions, or more people will make Hackintoshes. I would think Apple would want to be able to make more money off Mac Pros and mid-level Macs towers than to make Hackintoshes the only option for gamers. Especially since this is one of the most common complaints among Windows supporters.

Again in case you have not noticed Apple does not really view computers as its future. I am shocked they still bother to sell them especially the Pro that things days are numbered for sure. The rush to sell the expensive consumer gadgets is well and truly on with computers being the last in line to get any thoughts from them.

Reactions: JimmyPainter

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I can't really fault them for the MBP stuff though, there was never really much to upgrade if you didn't own a Clevo anyway. I have one of the last Dells with an up-gradable processor but a vast majority didn't. It's nice to be able to through stuff in a portable but it wouldn't be a deciding factor for me at least.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Again in case you have not noticed Apple does not really view computers as its future. I am shocked they still bother to sell them especially the Pro that things days are numbered for sure. The rush to sell the expensive consumer gadgets is well and truly on with computers being the last in line to get any thoughts from them.
If that's their viewpoint, they'll be crushed by Windows PCs shortly after they completely abandon Personal Computers in favor of mobile devices.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The midrange (GTX980 successor) NVidia Pascal has been spotted in transit. The manifest list says it will have water cooling by default. Won't fit in a cMP so I doubt OSX drivers will be available from NVidia until Apple uses the tech, which is doubtful.

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
The midrange (GTX980 successor) NVidia Pascal has been spotted in transit. The manifest list says it will have water cooling by default. Won't fit in a cMP so I doubt OSX drivers will be available from NVidia until Apple uses the tech, which is doubtful.

I believe the water cooling is for the pascal car based computer demoed at CES. Its extremely unlikely a midrange desktop chip would use water cooling.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
The car part has CPUs as well as dual sockets for GPUs. The transit part is a single GPU card with 'water cooling lid'. Water coolers are being used more and more for silent enthusiast PCs.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Report-NVIDIA-Pascal-GP104-Discovered-May-Not-Use-HBM

Yeah, but I think Nvidia will leave the water coolers to board manufacturers like gigabyte. Its unlikely Nvidia would have a water based reference cooler for a mid range desktop card. If its a ~200 W card then water cooling isn't really needed.

Since the only thing Nvidia has formally talked about with pascal was a water cooled car computer, then that is most likely what the shipped parts were for.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
What does this have to do with a Hackintosh?

Reactions: jblagden

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Ive really been wanting to build a hackintosh but I've been holding off because it seems like a major PITA to get working correctly.

I've been dealing with computers since the days of the VIC-20, Apple //+ - IIgs, Mac 680x0 & PPC, Win3.1-10, Mac Pro, home built pc's etc.

I tried several times over the past few years to get a Hackintosh running on gear 'recommended' by TonyMacx86 and never got a stable system out of it. Worst is when there's an update and it makes your system unbootable.

I completely gave up on the Hackintosh front to be honest. I just want a machine that works and I don't have to screw around with it. I'm in the middle of upgrading a old MacPro 3,1 which I suspect will last me for several years, and hopefully during that time Apple will pull their head out of their ass and either a) Make a stand-alone Mac that doesn't have crappy low power/speed processors (looking at you Mac Mini) or b) Has internal expandability (looking at you nMP).

In a couple years, if things don't change, I'll just end up buying a cMP 5,1 and maxing that out.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I've been dealing with computers since the days of the VIC-20, Apple //+ - IIgs, Mac 680x0 & PPC, Win3.1-10, Mac Pro, home built pc's etc.

I tried several times over the past few years to get a Hackintosh running on gear 'recommended' by TonyMacx86 and never got a stable system out of it. Worst is when there's an update and it makes your system unbootable.

I go back a little farther than that Radio Shack TSR-80 was the first machine I ever played around on. Nothing wrong with getting stable Hackintosh the install I am using is from when I did what was called back then a retail install.

Code:
MacUser2525:~$ ll Public
total 0
drwx-wx-wx  3 MacUser2525  admin  102B  7 Feb  2008 Drop Box/

As you can see from the untouched Drop Box directory in my ~ it dates from early Feb. 2008 the day I did it. This install has been migrated through more than a few hard drives and machines as I have updated over the years. Hell it even went onto then back off a bunch of Mac Pro's when I went through that phase during the 2011-2013 period with no Hack machine. Right up until the trash can came out then I said enough of this foolishness spending all this crazy money on a company that cares little about its users and their ability to upgrade their computers.

Sold off the Mac Pro's made crazy cash which I then spent tiny fraction of on my present setup which blew out of the water my MP5,1 with hex core 3.33mhz in it in terms of speed, stability both the same. My present system will run days at a time encoding h265 video only stopping when I want to reboot or shut down the encoding. Not to mention my dual socket 12 core HP z800 which has been running since late October last year doing my main h265 encoding 24/7 without a hickup.

In short, if that is possible at this point in time, a stable Hackintosh is most certainly possible to achieve. Ditch the tonymac and try Insanelymac you will find more than a few people there willing to help get it done, me included.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
In short, if that is possible at this point in time, a stable Hackintosh is most certainly possible to achieve. Ditch the tonymac and try Insanelymac you will find more than a few people there willing to help get it done, me included.

My issue has usually been BIOS settings that are supposed to work, don't seem to or are missing from my BIOS. I have a Z97X-UD5H w/i7 4770K, which is an insanely popular Hackintosh Mobo. Yet exactly following other's builds, never seems to work past installing the OS. I've tried different video cards including the popular GT-750SC which is currently THE recommended card to get.

I just got insanely frustrated with the entire experience, which for an avid computer tinkerer, is very hard to do.

chrismcdowell25

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
I glued mine into my old G5 case. Older Core i5 on MSI P67A-G43. Need more drive bays but everything works. I switched over to Clover and it seems to run much better.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.