Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Ordered a 2020 Mac Mini i7/512/8 to replace a 2012 i5 (2.4) that has served me faithfully for the last 6 years.

Before I ever turned on the 2012 MM, I swapped out the 500gb spinner with a 250gb Samsung SSD, which I then later updated to a 2.25TB spinner/SSD Fusion drive and 16gb of RAM. The Fusion drive setup has been flawless and this 2012 will be retired to media server duty.

I do the occasional Handbrake from bargain-bin DVDs so now the bottlenecks are now all CPU-based. I also want to keep up with MacOS and my 2012 will be stranded on Catalina.

The shift to ARM has has pushed me to update now - I believe buying one the last of the Intel Macs should have the longest support cycle.

I bought that 2012 refurbished for $500 so the 2020 MM came with quite the sticker shock. Here's hoping the new Mini serves as well and as long as the old Mini.

Funny that you mention running a refurnished MM as I have the same make and model that I got refurbished off eBay for around $200.

looking at the inexpensive options for myself, just trying to decide if going iMac would be a right step since newer Mac Mini models won’t work with my Apple Display.

I guess I may have to go on the new route as you have along with a new monitor or go iMac, the decision for me is rough.

glad you got a new Mini that will last you a while.

Reactions: steve217

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
looking at the inexpensive options for myself, just trying to decide if going iMac would be a right step since newer Mac Mini models won’t work with my Apple Display.

I guess I may have to go on the new route as you have along with a new monitor or go iMac, the decision for me is rough.

I thought long and hard about getting a 13” MBP as it would be roughly the same price. But I have a pretty good portable option with my iPad Air 3/ASK combo. While I wait for that device to age out, I can see what the new Apple Silicon portables bring.

Hopefully, it will be better thermal and power management.

Neil27

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
After 10 years of stellar service my old ‘and creaking’ Mac Pro 5.1 was finally laid to rest last week. It was emotional as we had been through a marriage break up, failed hard drives, ram upgrades and several GPU’s - so Bon voyage my friend you have earns your retirement ??

Right back on track and excuse me whilst I wipe away a tear.
Reviewing the latest specs of the Mac mini - uses will be light photoshop work, image manipulation, use of handbrake, every now and again, usual web, you tube nonsense and a few older windows games, plus 13 years old guys so quite old!

Thoughts on spec are, i5, 32gb ram, 512gb, option I have seen is a great package with windows, office, free mouse and keyboard and 1tb external drive thrown in, potential savings of around 20%.
Advice people, on the right track?

Thanks for reading,
Neil

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I think the best bet is a refurbished Mini, they have the same warranty as new and are typically 15% cheaper and you will find just about every imaginable configuration. There seem to be plenty, but when they appear they sell very quickly. You need to check the store constantly and when the config you want appears, buy it right away. It took me a little over a month of checking until I found exactly what I wanted.

Don't know what your package deal is, personally I prefer to select the individual things I want. I got the fully-loaded top of the line machine and couldn't be happier. If you are going to use virtual machines along with other software, get a lot of RAM. I see up to 42gb in use sometimes. Since you are replacing a Mac Pro, seems like you would want the i7 Mini but maybe you don't really need that much?

Regarding SSD, remember that it can't be upgraded. Yeah, it was crazy expensive, but glad I got the 2tb SSD. I also added a 2tb Samsung T7 external SSD and am already fighting to keep a reasonable amount of free space between both drives. I wish they had a 4tb internal option.

Anyway... happy shopping and I hope you enjoy your new Mini! :)

Reactions: Miat

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Funny that you mention running a refurnished MM as I have the same make and model that I got refurbished off eBay for around $200.

Why won’t they work.

JayX

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2007
I'm not sure there's anything worse than thinking your new toy will beat the shipping expectation, just to then see it sitting in a warehouse for 2 days without moving. C'est la vie!

Was going to go down the refurb path, but there's just been nothing coming in the store (not hanging around long enough that I would see it despite constant refreshes and signing up to a tracker service, which shows a bunch that came in on 7/1 and one that came in on 7/7 and that's it) so went with B&H to save on the sales tax.

I'm already very much not looking forward to the restore, but that's due to specific circs.

Fieldstone

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
I haven't found any evidence that the combination works just yet. Been trying to find this answer for weeks now.
I have a Apple Cinema display from 2006 and its connected with a 2018 Mac Mini with a APPLE HDMI TO DVI ADAPTER and a BELKIN USB-C to HDMI Adapter .

Reactions: trevpimp

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
Just ordered the Mac Mini i7 16GB/1TB. I got 16 GB because I don’t feel comfortable upgrading myself. I will probably upgrade the RAM At some point (or have someone do it), but I don’t need more RAM now and figured I should wait until I need the memory years down the road. 1 TB SSD was a balance between price and having decent onboard storage. In already have a 32 inch dell 4K monitor.
I’m very excited to get it.

Reactions: steve217

hrr86

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2020
Just received my Mac Mini this week, spec’d it out with i7/8GB/1TB/10Gb. Upgraded the ram to 64GB with a crucial RAM kit.

I was a bit hesitant about ordering one due to reading about the BT/WiFi issues,but I’m glad I gave the Mini a chance, zero issues out of the box and wifi/BT work as intended. Love the SFF!

Last edited:

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
I’m in too. Went the i5/512/8gb option and will just upgrade the memory myself. With the work at home continuing I wanted something to drive two 4K monitors and don’t really like the lack of ports and extra cost of a laptop.

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
I sold my last mac to family, after I got a windows laptop for work - thought I‘d stick with my iPad for personal computing. Productivity plummeted, still not convinced by windows, so just bought a base model mini at the local apple store. Only going to use it for office type work, but will be great to have macOS again :)

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
For those that have recent experience in buying the Mac-Mini, a little advice please. I'm seeing several third parties selling "new" Mac-mini's that appear to have upgraded (in-house) RAM and maybe a SSD. Macsales for example. Is Apple selling lower spec. NIB Mac-Minis to clear them out, and these third parties are upping the RAM/SSD to make them more sellable?

I'm thinking these are 2018 MacMini's that are new in box, that the retailer has decided to upgrade to 2020 standards. I'm not sure if these are any kind of a bargain. I'm also guessing Apple's original warranty would be void if a third party upgrades the RAM/SSD.

I'm thinking I'd be better off going with an Apple.com refurb. Or, just buying new from Apple and sacrificing some of the specs. in order to keep the price down vs. the lower price and better specs of a third party before the sale upgrade.

Anyone have recommendations?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
There really is no such thing as a 2020 Mini, only 2018. The only change in 2020 is the bottom of the line model got a 256gb SSD instead of 128gb. You could buy this exact same Mini in 2018, it just cost more. Apple was selling the 128gb base model in their refurb store for $600 the last time I checked.

The SSD on the 2018 Mini is not user-upgradeable, so you are not seeing any third parties upgrading that. It is soldered down. RAM is upgradeable, so you might find these, but Apple does not approve of user-upgraded RAM since it involves disassembling the Mini.

MacSales - which is the same as OWC (Other World Computing) - is certainly a reputable dealer, I bought my used 2012 quad-core i7 Mini from them a number of years ago, it looked like new and has worked perfectly ever since then. I chose a model that had the original Apple internal SSD but they also put their own SSD's and RAM in the 2012 and 2014 Mini's. For me, the appeal was that they offered a 90-day warranty and the 2012 quad was cheaper and 50% faster than the top of the line 2014 Mini. But you certainly could find cheaper used Mini's from private sellers.

Have not looked at MacSales prices on the 2018 Mini - a few months ago, they did not have anything newer than 2014. I got a refurb 2018 from Apple in June and it has been perfect. Personally, I think Apple refurbs are the way to go, but you need to be patient and check constantly. Took over a month for the model I wanted to appear in the refurb store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meatsuit and jazz1

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
So in a whim I ordered last night a 2018 Mac Mini (i7/1Tb/8GB) to replace my 2012 2.3ghz i7 Mini.

Lately I've noticed the fans spin up more often on my 2012 doing simple tasks like browsing the web.
Also just yesterday I noticed that the temp spiked up to 95-100 just idling. Strange thing thou, in Power Gadget I'd see the CPU and GPU frequency spike up and down. With the wattage spiking between like 8 and 20w.

I've cleaned out the dust numerous times, so I probably just needed to replace the thermal compound, but I've had this machine since 2014 (bought it refurbished from Apple, upgraded to 1TB SSD/16GB) and used this as an excuse to upgrade. Yea thats it. ;)

I was also debating the 27" iMac, and while I would've preferred the processor and graphics of the iMac, I already have a more than capable dual monitor setup.

Reactions: jazz1 and flobach

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Just got my shipping notice for my Mini. Expected delivery on the 13th. Right in line with Apple's estimates when I placed the order.

Already picked up a USB-C to Displayport cable for my 2nd monitor. A USB-C to type-A adapter for my hub.

Also picked up 64GB of RAM. Was originally going to go with 32GB, but G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2666 CAS 18 memory was on sale for $190. So might as well.

Reactions: robotica and jazz1

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Just got my shipping notice for my Mini. Expected delivery on the 13th. Right in line with Apple's estimates when I placed the order.

Already picked up a USB-C to Displayport cable for my 2nd monitor. A USB-C to type-A adapter for my hub.

Also picked up 64GB of RAM. Was originally going to go with 32GB, but G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2666 CAS 18 memory was on sale for $190. So might as well.
What specs did you get? I have been eyeing the refurbished 2018, the movement on those are slower these days. Wondering if people are holding off buying them.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
What specs did you get? I have been eyeing the refurbished 2018, the movement on those are slower these days. Wondering if people are holding off buying them.

My specs are listed in the post right before the one you quoted. I got the i7 1TB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

i wanted to go with refurbished too, but I never was able to catch one with those specs in stock.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
My specs are listed in the post right before the one you quoted. I got the i7 1TB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

i wanted to go with refurbished too, but I never was able to catch one with those specs in stock.

OH my bad, I didn't realize that was the same user :(

Hope you enjoy your machine!

Reactions: Mizouse

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
My Mini came early on Friday afternoon. Spent Friday evening and all of Saturday trying to migrate the data from my 2012 to the new one.
Migration assistant kept hanging on the part where it says it is transferring applications. Failed when connected via Peer-to-Peer wifi, ethernet and thunderbolt (went to the Apple store to buy the TB2/TB3 adapter)

If it helps, what eventually did work was booting my 2012 in to Target Disk mode, connected it to my 2018 via Thunderbolt (tried USBA to USBC and that didn't work despite Apple saying it should) and then used Migration Assistant on the 2018 to transfer all my data. That worked like a charm and much faster too. Was getting over 200MB/sec. System booting up like nothing had happened.

Upgraded it this morning to 64GB of RAM.

Loving the machine so far, so much faster and is running way cooler compared to my 2012.

Also interestingly the 2018 says its outputting 10-bit color to my monitors. (Dell U2410 via HDMI/DVI and BenQ SW240 via USBC/DisplayPort) The GUI and photos seems to look more colorful compared to my 2012 where everything was in 8-bit. (could also be Catalina vs Mojave or my eyes playing tricks)

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 9.08.37 PM.png

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
Traded my refurb late 2014 i5 16GB 1TB fusion mini in for new i5 8GB 512GB box stock mini. Started trade-in online and finished in Apple Store. Used new Apple Card for 12 no interest plus 3% back.

Trade in was valued at $190 - not bad for a 5 year old computer. The trade-in process didn't ask for memory size but there was a delay when they lowered the trade in by $10. Turned out the in-house process didn't ask for a power cord whereas the online process did. Accounted for the $10 which was decided in my favor.

Will pickup 32GB RAM and AppleCare soon. Have not setup yet but expect it to be as good as my old mini.

Reactions: robotica

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Ordered the new Mini while it was being announced Tuesday with a Nov. 24-27 delivery date (i7, 16GB, 1TB). Just noticed that it already has reached "preparing to ship" status on my orders page.

Reactions: Ocnetgeek

atokads

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Ordered the new Mini while it was being announced Tuesday with a Nov. 24-27 delivery date (i7, 16GB, 1TB). Just noticed that it already has reached "preparing to ship" status on my orders page.
You ordered the i7 (Intel)?

I'm curious - you described it as the new Mini - I thought only the Apple Silicon versions were new. Haven't read anything about changes to the Intel version.

I have one - it's a nice little machine.

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
You ordered the i7 (Intel)?

I'm curious - you described it as the new Mini - I thought only the Apple Silicon versions were new. Haven't read anything about changes to the Intel version.

I have one - it's a nice little machine.
Sorry. Brain freeze. I was thinking of an iMac I had ordered earlier. I ordered the m1 version of the mini. it is already listed as preparing to ship

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.