Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheOtherAndy

macrumors member
May 20, 2018
Outside Milwaukee, WI
I don't think so. The mini still has the fusion drive with 128gigs of fast storage, unlike the imac, which is probably plenty for most people. I'd put the extra money towards ram.

Full disclosure: I ended up returning the mini to the store and getting a ludicrously-overpowered Dell for significantly less money. It takes up more space and creates more noise than the cute little mini (and it has Windows), but with the Mini I found that I had started beating myself up over spending so much on such an outdated machine. :(

Oh, also, on that note: don't buy a mini new from Apple. It's not worth it. I wouldn't go for a 2012 model, as it has even worse graphics, but a used 2014 model from Other World Computing or Mac of all Trades is a better value. You can also find deals from 3rd parties on new minis.
Well, I'm back! Finally got the Mini I should have waited a few months for back in 2018: the 2018 i5 with 512gb of storage. Tired of using a huge monstrosity. I'm very much enjoying the silence and massively increased desk space. And unlike the 2014 I originally bought, I have a system that doesn't feel sluggish at idle.

Thought long and hard about pressing the add to cart button on the just-announced M1 mini. Decided against it mostly because I didn't want to end up with the Apple Silicon version of the Intel Core Solo, partially because I wanted virtualization.

Reactions: IowaLynn

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
My M1 Mac Mini order is showing "preparing to ship" on my Apple orders page and my UPS acct. says it is in transit to arrive Tuesday. I am upgrading from a late 2016 MacBook Pro with 2.7Ghz i7. So we will see what kind of performance bump I get soon. I expect we will start seeing reviews perhaps sooner.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Do you guys think they will release Mac minis every year now ?
like iOS devices
I don’t see any reason not to. I think the M1 tier of chip will get released every year for yearly MacBook Air and lower end Pro updates so I don’t see why they can’t throw it in the Mini every year. Maybe the higher end model won’t if those series of chips aren’t updated every year.

Reactions: Icaras

phantom13

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2020
Guys I need your advice . Should I stick with the base model 8gb of ram or upgrade to 16 . I will mostly be doing video editing and some photo editing

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I just ordered a 16GB/1TB Mini. Not being promised until December 23-30

Do you think that this will ship much sooner? I know sometimes Apple underpromises on delivery dates.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
When I ordered my Mini (16GB/1TB) on 11/18, It had a delivery estimation of 12/18-28 and now the delivery is 12/16-23, so it moved up 2 days.

Reactions: ant69

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Mine just moved up a few days as well. I am guessing that trend will continue as more stock arrives

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
I ordered a Mini 16gb 1TB on 11/10 - delivery estimate is still 12/03 to 12/10..... hoping it gets moved up a bit like others has. Nothing yet.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I ordered a Mini 16gb 1TB on 11/10 - delivery estimate is still 12/03 to 12/10..... hoping it gets moved up a bit like others has. Nothing yet.

That's basically next week.

The orders that got moved up were 3 weeks off.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Mine if preparing to ship!!! How long it will stay in that state is anybody’s guess. But I have to ask what have those that have gone through this experienced? Then of course there will be the long journey to the “rust belt” ;)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
My M1 mini today finally changed to "Preparing to Ship" after two weeks of "Processing". Just a couple more weeks to go!

UPDATE: Just received a notice that’s it’s been shipped. Woohoo!

Last edited:
Reactions: hagjohn

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Mine too. It was scheduled for Friday delivery but now says date tentative :/
Updated today online via UPS website. No Friday delivery. Apple reports a week out, but UPS reports date to be determined.

I called UPS, and basically was told until it arrives in the USA no delivery date from them is forthcoming. I think I’ve come to learn Apple’s specific delivery date(s) is more of an estimate.

ant69 is yours in Hong Kong awaiting a plane ride?

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Updated today online via UPS website. No Friday delivery. Apple reports a week out, but UPS reports date to be determined.

I called UPS, and basically was told until it arrives in the USA no delivery date from them is forthcoming. I think I’ve come to learn Apple’s specific delivery date(s) is more of an estimate.

ant69 is yours in Hong Kong awaiting a plane ride?
yes its currently sitting in Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong.

Nihilvor

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Guys I need your advice . Should I stick with the base model 8gb of ram or upgrade to 16 . I will mostly be doing video editing and some photo editing
For tasks like video and photo editing, I'd personally go right to the 16gb, especially if you want to keep the machine for a few years. There's really no reason not to give yourself that headroom for the future and allow yourself the option to do some serious multitasking in the present. It makes the most sense.

If you're in a hurry though, grab the 8gb. You'll get some good use out of that option as well.

Reactions: Suzatlarge
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.