Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Saturday I got my 2019 15" 2.3GHz i9 MBP, coming from a 2016 13", and the difference is massive in terms of speed, screen, and especially keyboard feel. For work, I also have a 2017 13" for comparison. Absolutely can tell the difference with the 2019 keyboard. In terms of feel, feels less clackity-clickity and while the key travel is reduced compared to a 2015's keyboard, it feels very similar. Much much better than the '16. This one is a keeper.

BigCTM

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Just bought a used 2017 base Macbook Pro for $525 from Swappa a few days back...It's in great shape and even comes with Apple Care until June 2021. I have wanted a relatively recent Macbook Pro but did not want to spend that much. No issues so far and really like the trackpad. I am a hunt and pecker so the keyboard is no big deal to me.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Anybody ever bought a "refurbished" MacBook Pro from Woot.com ?
I'm curious what to actually expect there..

Is that really just "returned to Amazon" and who actually knows what the condition might be in terms of physical damage, usage, etc?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Saturday I got my 2019 15" 2.3GHz i9 MBP, coming from a 2016 13", and the difference is massive in terms of speed, screen, and especially keyboard feel. For work, I also have a 2017 13" for comparison. Absolutely can tell the difference with the 2019 keyboard. In terms of feel, feels less clackity-clickity and while the key travel is reduced compared to a 2015's keyboard, it feels very similar. Much much better than the '16. This one is a keeper.

Do you use any VMs? Asking because I wanna do the switch from the 2017 13" tb

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I'm thinking of buying the new 15 inch this month. Concerned about heat / fan issues though. Is there a best option? Maxed out? CPU?

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I'm noticing that intermittently I'd see glitch artifacts across the screen in a flash. Random and I can't reproduce it. Anyone else see this happening?

I had this issue with my first unit back in 2017, they replaced it due to being a bad cable attached to the screen.
[automerge]1573462475[/automerge]
Just got my first ever Mac. Entry 13 inch but with a 256Gb SSD. I should've done this years ago. I'm converted.

What were the main reasons behind switching? What are you enjoying the most?

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
What were the main reasons behind switching? What are you enjoying the most?

I've been getting slowly frustrated with Windows and looking at them for a while. I've been learning web development and there's been a few times when dealing with Node and GIT that the Windows tutorial is more annoying than the Mac one. I then got offered a job as a Dev Ops Associate and all of their development is done on Macs, so I bought myself one. I don't want to turn up on day 1 and be like "soooo....how do I login?"

I'm enjoying: The screen, the keyboard and the speed. The screen is amazing. It's on another level of impressive. I considered getting a Mac Mini, but went with the MBP and glad I did. The screen is just amazing. Now I look at my stand alone WQHD monitor and think "Man, that looks terrible."

Keyboard is nice to use too. Not sure on reliability (got an ultra thin protector on it...), but it feels nice. I like how it is to type.

And of course the speed. It's cliche to say it just works, but a lot of the time it does. But in general, everything feels fast and smooth. The base OS appears to use much less resources than Windows does too. 8Gb is doing fine (although I am worried I might regret that later, but I couldn't afford the 16). But it feels fast and smooth and all the web development stuff that was a pain in the ass is now a little easier. The irony being I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio Code lol.

The only thing it struggled with was OneDrive. Transfering my documents over, OneDrive gave me the beach ball. And iCloud just doesn't appear to be as good as OneDrive for working out of, which is a shame.

So yeah, only negative so far is iCloud storage. Feels hampered, and the folder physical location is an odd and annoying place to use in the command line.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
First impression. Other than iCloud, a major surprising negative is Safari. Safari on iOS is fine. Works, looks god etc.

Safari on macOS feels like I'm on a version from 2008. It looks old compared to everything else. It's very poorly laid out - the bookmarks bar, the tabs, the extensions. It's just...bad. It does have TouchID and keychain integration, but that's all it has going for it.

Browser hierarchy: Chrome, Edge (the new Chromium based version), Firefox, Opera, Safari.

I'd like to use Safari for privacy, but it just isn't good enough compared to the competition.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I've been getting slowly frustrated with Windows and looking at them for a while. I've been learning web development and there's been a few times when dealing with Node and GIT that the Windows tutorial is more annoying than the Mac one. I then got offered a job as a Dev Ops Associate and all of their development is done on Macs, so I bought myself one. I don't want to turn up on day 1 and be like "soooo....how do I login?"

I'm enjoying: The screen, the keyboard and the speed. The screen is amazing. It's on another level of impressive. I considered getting a Mac Mini, but went with the MBP and glad I did. The screen is just amazing. Now I look at my stand alone WQHD monitor and think "Man, that looks terrible."

Keyboard is nice to use too. Not sure on reliability (got an ultra thin protector on it...), but it feels nice. I like how it is to type.

And of course the speed. It's cliche to say it just works, but a lot of the time it does. But in general, everything feels fast and smooth. The base OS appears to use much less resources than Windows does too. 8Gb is doing fine (although I am worried I might regret that later, but I couldn't afford the 16). But it feels fast and smooth and all the web development stuff that was a pain in the ass is now a little easier. The irony being I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio Code lol.

The only thing it struggled with was OneDrive. Transfering my documents over, OneDrive gave me the beach ball. And iCloud just doesn't appear to be as good as OneDrive for working out of, which is a shame.

So yeah, only negative so far is iCloud storage. Feels hampered, and the folder physical location is an odd and annoying place to use in the command line.

I immediately regretted buying the 13" 6 months after.. I started doing more Virtualisation on my projects and ended up finding out that 8Gb simply wasn't enough!

Regarding the screen, it is one of the things that gets me most attached to the Mac world....

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I immediately regretted buying the 13" 6 months after.. I started doing more Virtualisation on my projects and ended up finding out that 8Gb simply wasn't enough!

Regarding the screen, it is one of the things that gets me most attached to the Mac world....

I might run Docker at some point in my near future, but not proper virtualisation. So I should be fine. I hope. I had to choose 256Gb SSD or 16Gb RAM. The SSD won the battle, but I couldn't afford both.

JustHereforHelp69

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2018
I posted this in the "waiting for 2020 Macbook pro" thread but it belongs here. To kick things off (I hope this post ages well lol)

My story: I bought the 2019 macbook pro 15 when it came out in June because my 2015 hard-drive failed. A week later the headphone deal came out, I was mad but I had an idea. I didn't buy apple care at the time of purchase because I wanted to wait the two months for no real reason, but it ended up saving me. I came back 2 months later to buy applecare and talked to the manager about a return and repurchase so I can get the headphones. He agreed. My new return date was given to me and two weeks later I returned it at the end of august and played the waiting game. I originally had the 2.4/vega 20/32/1 tb. I just ordered the 2.3/5500 8GB/64/2tb and its cheaper. I feel so happy right now. We made it boys

DiGiNeXita

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2019
Milan, IT
As someone of you may know, I own a 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro; and back in June, I made the move to buy a 15” MacBook Pro.
As soon as I brought it home, I really didn’t like the keyboard feeling; in addition, I had a couple of T2 crashes in 3 days.
I also didn’t like the design of the arrow keys, the fact that it didn’t have a physical Esc button. I have to be honest, I don’t use the “Escape” button very often; but being it touch, it meant I was constantly pushing it inadvertantly and it kept me quitting Telegram chats, web forms, Photoshop dialog boxes and so on.

So I sent it back and got a full refund.

I was on the verge of buying a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, but there are a lot of features that the MBP has and the X1E doesn’t (like for example the ambient light sensor: the auto-adjusting of the display brightness is something I REALLY LOVE).

The Dell XPS was out of discussion because my boyfriend owns a XPS and, right now, it doesn’t go into Hibernate (it reboots, instead; resetting the BIOS and reinstalling Windows hasn’t helped), the WiFi card loses connection every 15 minutes (the very same network we use for every device and that works like a charm), the display changes his brightness according to the content (and I haven’t found a way to deactivate this feature), etc. These are not problems for him because he use it mainly as a gaming laptop; but everytime he lends it to me for editing some content, it drives me crazy.

Today Apple released the 16”, with the new keyboard, a physical Escape button and the T-shaped arrow keys. And I have to be honest: I’m quite excited to see Apple finally listening to their beloved Pro customers, because that’s what we asked for years.

PS: the specs of the 15” MBP I bought in June were i9 - 512 GB - 560X - 16GB and it costed me the very same amount of money of this i9 - 1TB - 5500M - 16GB. So I’m very happy with the pricing point; well done Apple!

So about 30 minutes after the launch, the heart got over the mind and I ordered a new 16-inch MacBook Pro with these specs.

CPU: Intel i9-9880H (8 cores, 2,3 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2666
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
SSD: 1TB

Apple Store website says it will be deliveder on the 28th of November; as soon as I bring it home, I will update you on my impressions.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Specs: 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro
CPU: Intel i9-9880H (8 cores, 2.3Ghz)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2666Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
SSD: 1 TB

ETA: Nov 15-19 (I can't wait!!)

I previously ordered a 13-inch 2018 MacBook Pro and then I had to return it because my AirPods weren't connecting to it and after I took it to the Apple Store, the Genius told me that the Bluetooth module might be defective. So, since I was in my 2 week grace period, I was able to get a complete refund and then reordered the same configuration again. This time, without issues, but I still didn't like the feel of the keyboard.

In addition, the 256GB SSD just got filled up really quickly within the last year I had this laptop and because the keyboard seems to be much better on this new laptop, I just decided to order it and be done with this miserable laptop, even though nearly everything else about this laptop - battery, display, WiFi, etc is nearly flawless...

IMHO, you can't do much without a keyboard on a laptop and if the keyboard is defective, the entire point of having a physical keyboard on such a device is lost. If the physical keyboard design is faulty, you might as well just do what iOS does and implement a touch screen keyboard.

So, in closing, I'm really looking forward to using this 16-inch laptop as a normal laptop and not treating it like a delicate and fragile device, which I have been doing with this 2018 model. With the 2018 model, I never knew when I might be clumsy or forgetful and mistakenly start eating next to it and then a piece of food or a dust particle gets inside the keyboard and destroys it completely...

What a crazy 4 years this has been....I'm just glad to see the end of the butterfly keyboard. I hope Apple learned its lesson from this...

Reactions: Emathieu

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
Specs: 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro
CPU: Intel i9-9980HK (8 cores, 2.4Ghz)
RAM: 32 GB DDR4-2666Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
SSD: 2 TB

Screenshot-2019-11-14-at-00-15-47.png

ETA: 26-28 November (I live in Italy)
COST: 3388€ + 780€ IVA = 4168€

I can't wait to meet my new baby!

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
You are going be sorry! LOL!

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I haven't gotten a new Mac in three years which is kind of record for me... I mean I got a gaming laptop earlier this year (i7-9750, RTX2080, 32G RAM, 3TB SSD), I went all out this time. I really only need 32GB of RAM and probably 2TB of storage. But I skipped the iPhone this year so early holiday present for myself.

mac_or_not.png

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Just ordered my new Macbook Pro 16 inch:
2,3‑GHz 8‑core Intel Core i9-processor
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M met 8 GB GDDR6
32 GB 2666‑MHz DDR4
1 TB SSD

Please be reliable and great.....

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
My status changed to "Your order is being prepared for shipment." Anyone else? Hoping that means it'll ship today and arrive tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.