Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Ended up changing it. Hope it's worth it.
  • 2.4GHz 8-core ninth‑generation Intel Core i9 processor with Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 64GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • 2TB of SSD storage

TP18

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Not sure what CPU to get? And not sure if 4 GB to 8GB GPU will make a huge difference for me as I only do programming and photo editing with Lightroom.

but want 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

will the GPU and CPU make a difference heat wise? Great difference Performance wise?

Diwad

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
What was the original delivery date?
[automerge]1574072099[/automerge]
My delivery date is 29.11-03.12, but I was charged yesterday and today status changed to "preparing for shipping". Order placed 14th Nov. Poland. You think there is a chance of getting it earlier?

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
Ordered a base Silver 15” MBP 512 from the Apple store on the 11/15. Delivers 11/19. Traded in my 2016 15” SG MBP (2 logic boards and 1 display replacement under AC plus keyboard issues).

jahzooo

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Looks like orders for people who configured their MacBook Pros are being shipped (and earlier than the original estimate provided!).

I ordered 2.3i9/32GB/8GB on Day 2, and my original estimate (with Standard Delivery) was Nov 29 - Dec 3. Over the weekend my CC was charged and today I just got a Shipped notification with an updated delivery estimate of Nov 22!

Reactions: 0-0

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Looks like orders for people who configured their MacBook Pros are being shipped (and earlier than the original estimate provided!).

I ordered 2.3i9/32GB/8GB on Day 2, and my original estimate (with Standard Delivery) was Nov 29 - Dec 3. Over the weekend my CC was charged and today I just got a Shipped notification with an updated delivery estimate of Nov 22!

I ordered a BTO with Nov 26-29, and I got charged two days ago, but its still processing (express shipping).

TP18

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015

Nice! I’m also getting this configs

cp1160

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
I received the MacBook Pro 16 I ordered today, earlier than I expected.

It is a BTO with these options:

2.4 GHz 8 Core i9 / 32GB RAM / 8GB AMD Radeon Pro 5500M GPU / 2 TB SSD

I will be configuring it for a few days to replace my old MBP Pro Retina 15 for photo and movie work and some other things and move my current one to my work laptop and likely put my MPB 17 2010 out to pasture (its been my workhorse despite messing up the lower corner of the screen when closing on a pencil). I don't have a lot of usability comments yet .... but

So far...keyboard feels like the older keyboards I loved (see above) but not quite the same travel. Esc key is nice, good to have the old arrow key configuration back. Screen is...well, really nice. I seem to keep hitting the touchbar when I type, something I did not notice with my older units, probably because it is a glance and not a press.

Speakers are, well, incredible for a laptop. Good bass. Don't know how to review microphones.

Ran some tests on it in GeekBench 5 to see how it ran right out the box without anything to it other than installing the latest OS updates.

Got these results (they were uploaded to GeekBench browser):

Single Core: 1087 (worse than the 1138 for the MBP 15 with same processor)
Multi Core: 7235 (better than the 6894 for the MBP 15 with same processor and the Mac Pro 2013

Open CL Score Intel 4657
Open CL Score AMD 27440

Way better CL scores than where I was, but not going to touch the top results out but really nice, I should see things speed up.

BlackMagic Scores (is this test still good?):
Write: 2836.4 MB/s
Read: 2461.2 MB/s (not a typo)

So my gripe? For what we pay, include the power cord extension for the power charger. I ordered it when I ordered the system, but its annoying not having one. This new brick is heavy and will fall out of a lot of outlets I fear.

I wish it had WIFI 6 to help future proof it, but I've been waiting too many years and that was not enough to keep me from moving forward. It certainly was not cheap, but since its by 7 years since I got my last 15 MBP Pro Retina and I refused to upgrade in between, I am looking forward to the new machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitejest

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Mine is a BTO shipping to Apple Store in London

Initially scheduled for delivery on 28th November it was marked as shipped on Saturday and updating shipping says 26th. Any idea how long it takes to ship from Shanghai; it goes via the Netherlands right?

It's frustrating that I can't track it because it's shipping to an Apple Store.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Tried two different stores (in different cities) in China to check out the 16" but both didn't have any demo units and are expecting them later in the week :(

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
Ordered on announcement day the 16“ with
- i9
- 32 GB
- 5500M 8GB
- 2 TB SSD

Shipped on Sunday, delivery estimate is 26.11
Might receive it before the estimate.

TQT

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
Ordered on 11/16 early morning after canceling my first order. Added more RAM and ended up with:
space grey, 2.3 Ghz 8-core, 5500M, 32 GB RAM, 1TB Storage (BTO)

original window was 12/3-12/5

status changed to ‚processing´ this morning and went out for delivery at 12pm today wuhuu.

currently: departing Shanghai

estimated delivery by ups: mo 11/25

Destination country: Germany

55D4D42F-BC04-417E-B32B-55D219C6F6AC.jpeg

Reactions: obargy

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Some initial impressions of my new MBP 16", 2.4GHz, 32GB, 2TB, 5500M...

Late-2019 MBP 16 vs. Mid-2019 MBP 15
  • enclosure: about 3/8” wider than previous, but did not notice until I tried to reuse my hard shell case
  • 16” screen size: more useful than I had expected, especially for coding
  • screen image quality: it seems a little clearer but I can’t explain why
  • ESC key: big improvement; I wish it were as large as the one on the magic keyboard
  • scissor keys: slightly better in feel, but I was fine with Butterfly (except for reliability)
  • touch bar: don’t hate it, but don’t really use it; would prefer keys with little OLEDs on them
  • extra weight/bulk: don’t notice it; I would tolerate more for a 16.5" screen
  • speed: I run an app that uses 16 CPU threads - it feels a little faster but I haven’t measured it; I don't use the AMD GPU for my work
  • speakers: they sound about 2x better; I have nice headphones+amp and a really good home 5.2 system, so I don’t use my laptop speakers much (only when I’m alone in a conference room); let's get serious: laptop sound can only be so good.
  • microphone: have not tried it yet; will edit this once I do
  • macOS got into an infinite loop trying to connect to my external Sceptre 4K TV via my Falwedi 7-in-2 hub; I moved the hub over to the other side of the MBP and it now works; not yet sure if the issue is the hub, a TB3 port, or Catalina
  • heat/fans: not fair to discuss this until the machine is done re-syncing and indexing

Migration Assistant Issues
  • it did not migrate launchpad icon placements
  • it did not migrate keyboard modifier key assignments
  • it did not migrate user passwords - might be precluded by how hashes are stored; not sure
  • it did not migrate all of my notification preferences
  • it did not migrate my Music sorting preferences (sort by year)
  • why does iCloud drive take so long to re-sync stuff that it should know was just migrated? aren't there per-file 256-bit hashes lying around that can be diff'ed with those in the cloud? or some other kind of version meta data? this is not a new issue, by the way; I really dislike how obtuse iCloud Drive is about what it's doing and why; at the current rate, it will take iCloud Drive approximately 1.5 weeks to finish sync'ing 1TB of files that it should know are already sync'ed.

Catalina (had been running Mohave on MBP 15)
  • all of my apps continue to work
  • I like the separation of Music and TV apps; would like an option to hide Apple Music in sidebar; would like another option to hide the sidebar completely
  • took a few attempts to get it to use my watch for unlocking it; lots of retyping of iCloud and other passwords
  • mail: I am hitting the bug where some mail is not getting pushed to the Mac without some kind of manual synchronization on my end; mail gets to my phone before it gets to my Mac; so far, I've seen this with yahoo mail only
  • webex: drained the hell out of my battery in a meeting yesterday; had to run and grab my power adapter; no idea whose fault this could be

Last edited:

MrP90

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
Florida
I had returned the MBP 15 I purchased two weeks ago and picking up the new MBP 16 inch BTO build in stock at the closest Apple Store has on hand (2.4/32gb/8gb vid/ 2tb storage)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.