Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden

Hey!

Kamran here, from Truecaller support.

A new supported Truecaller version will be available before you know it. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions.

Have an great day!
Kamran Mamedi
[doublepost=1474194624][/doublepost]
Have you heard any timeline for the update?

Hello!

Kamran from Truecaller here. A new update will be very soon.

Thank you,
Kamran Mamedi

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Hey!

Kamran here, from Truecaller support.

...feel free to ask any questions.

Have an great day!
Kamran Mamedi

Hey Kamran.
How well does the app work internationally? Hiya could only successfully ID about 3 out of 20 of my received calls when I tried it in Norway. Can I expect better from Truecaller?

Edit: nevermind. I just realized you can test your numbersearch on your website. For Norway, Truecaller is much better. Now hurry up and get this awesome app out

Last edited:

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi!

I am glad to hear that! Just hang in there and you'll soon be even more protected from all spammers :)

As you might know, Truecaller is known for being global and we have received tons of feedback all over the world. You can read more about our journey on our webpage or blog "https://blog.truecaller.com".

Enjoy!
Kamran Mamedi

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Looks like this feature isn't available on the iPhone 5 like Rich Notifications. Just downloaded Hiya and I'm not seeing the app being listed under Phone > Call Blocking & Identification.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Giving the current Truecaller app access to contacts is a huge Pita. It keeps creating duplicate contacts by the dozen. I now have about 20 entries on myself and deleting them doesnt help. They just re-emerge.

Reactions: charles4515

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Looks like this feature isn't available on the iPhone 5 like Rich Notifications. Just downloaded Hiya and I'm not seeing the app being listed under Phone > Call Blocking & Identification.
That's a shame. I suppose the parallel is closer to safari content blocking, another 64 bit only feature

Also, kinda crap that Hiya didn't realise this and the instructions to enable it in their app are the same on iPhone 5

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hi,

We have a version ready and soon to be released on Appstore within the coming days. CallKit is included as well.

Read more at:
https://blog.truecaller.com/2016/09...s-10-bring-spam-identification-to-the-masses/

Best,
Kamran @ Truecaller.com
what does this have to do with the quoted post- are you saying callkit blocking/identification in your app does work on iphone 5?

edit: reading elsewhere it does seem very much a 64 bit only extension

can you comment on how well your app works in UK? (for devices that support callkit)

Last edited:

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Giving the current Truecaller app access to contacts is a huge Pita. It keeps creating duplicate contacts by the dozen. I now have about 20 entries on myself and deleting them doesnt help. They just re-emerge.

Good morning,

I am not quite following. Are you referring to the contact "Identified as spam"? If yes, then we will not create that contact whenever you enable spam filter in iOS10.

If this is not hte case then please share me some screenshots of the issue and i will follop us asap.

Best,
Kamran
[doublepost=1474272769][/doublepost]
Do all of these work by uploading your contacts to their database? I've always resisted truecaller because of this, just too creepy for me.

Hi,

We only uploads your contacts to our database in order to create your social graph, this is in order for you to get accurate results when searching for names.

We do never share any contents public. You can also read this on Google play descriptions. This applies only if users install the app from Google play or Appstore (iOS).

Edit: We use the contact information to generate a personalized graph which helps us to provide you with more accurate search results. With that being said, please keep in mind that we never upload the contact information to our servers. That is against the Appstores guidelines. We only use the numbers to generate the graph.

Thank you,
Kamran Mamedi @ Truecaller.com

Last edited:
Reactions: l3uddz

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Ill
Good morning,

I am not quite following. Are you referring to the contact "Identified as spam"? If yes, then we will not create that contact whenever you enable spam filter in iOS10.

If this is not hte case then please share me some screenshots of the issue and i will follop us asap.

Best,
Kamran

Im having trouble reproducing it right now but giving Truecaller access to contacts made it duplicate my own contact about 20 times in my contact list. Manually deleting these duplicates didn't help, new duplicates kept being produced until I turned off Trucallers access to contacts.

Another issue I have with giving Truecaller access to my contacts, is that it removes the ability to merge contacts properly (within the native iOS contacts app). While merging contacts work, All the separate contacts that you merge also remain as separate entries in the contact list. It kind of seems like Truecaller overwrites the iOS contacts list with its own, once you have allowed it access to it.

It would be beneficial if I could limit Truecallers access to my contacts to "read only". I dont want truecaller to be allowed to make changes to my iOS contact list.

Aside from the issues I have with the contact list, I like the app and can hardly wait for the iOS 10 ready app to release!

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What are the security issues one should consider before using this type of app?

The big thing for me is that you are completely giving them all your contact information to upload. That means name, phone, email, address, literally anything you have typed into your contact will be uploaded. This is too far of a privacy issue for me. There are caller lists which they can use to block calls, there is no need for them to access my contacts. There should at least be an option to opt out of this. How do we know they don't secretly data mine? I can't see how anyone could resist millions and millions of user data like that.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
The big thing for me is that you are completely giving them all your contact information to upload. That means name, phone, email, address, literally anything you have typed into your contact will be uploaded. This is too far of a privacy issue for me. There are caller lists which they can use to block calls, there is no need for them to access my contacts. There should at least be an option to opt out of this. How do we know they don't secretly data mine? I can't see how anyone could resist millions and millions of user data like that.

Hi,

We do not sell our database to other companies, it's strictly private.

A few example of why we require contact access
- If you want to save a number identified by Truecaller then contacts access must be granted.
- If you wish to be protected from Spammers.
- In order to use our own dialer with T9 search of contacts.

Thank you,
Kamran

Last edited:

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Hi,

Two example of why we require contact access
- If you want to save a number identified by Truecaller then contacts access must be granted.

Thank you,
Kamran

So for Number lookup only (no spam protection), you can opt out right?

Facebook also adds contacts to my contact list, and sometimes this results in duplicate contacts because Ive already stored the contact already. Merging a Facebook contact with an iOS contact works fine, and leaves just one merged contact in the list.

After having granted true caller access to my contacts, this behaviour seizes to work. and after I merge two contacts, Ill end up with a merged contact and the original one (still two contacts). This must surely be a bug.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden

Facebook also adds contacts to my contact list, and sometimes this results in duplicate contacts because Ive already stored the contact already. Merging a Facebook contact with an iOS contact works fine, and leaves just one merged contact in the list.

After having granted true caller access to my contacts, this behaviour seizes to work. and after I merge two contacts, Ill end up with a merged contact and the original one (still two contacts). This must surely be a bug.

Yes, you can choose to not enable Spam. You can also disable contact access by going to phone settings > truecaller > "tick off" Truecaller.

Regarding merging contacts, i've not heard similar issues before so i need to dig deeper into this together with the team.

Let's keep in touch in the meantime.

-Kamran

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hi,

Two example of why we require contact access

Thank you,
Kamran

Thanks, but in all honesty I have very little trust towards data mining these days. I can't tell you the amount of times a company has promised to not share my information, but they do.

From what I understand you don't need access to my contacts in order to block spam calls, can a developer chime in here? Don't you basically compare the incoming call to a database? Why would you need access to my contacts? Really it should be the users choice to upload their contacts or not, it shouldn't be mandatory. What will probably happen is Apple will release their own call blocking software without requiring you upload all your contacts and you guys will be out of business overnight. I wonder if you guys might not also hit some legal issues in the future as well. After all, whatever contact I'm uploading to you has not given permission to do so. Would that contact have legal recourse against myself or your company? I don't know, I'm not an attorney, but still interesting to consider.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting on you guys, I appreciate the app and all the hard work. It's just that in this day and age of privacy concerns giving you every single shred of information on all my contacts is just way too large of a privacy intrusion and security risk. If I suddenly found my address and phone numbers on someones list I'd be very pissed at whatever contact of mine uploaded that info.
[doublepost=1474290833][/doublepost]

Nope, no opt out at all. If you don't give up your contacts you cannot use the app at all.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks, but in all honesty I have very little trust towards data mining these days. I can't tell you the amount of times a company has promised to not share my information, but they do.

From what I understand you don't need access to my contacts in order to block spam calls, can a developer chime in here? Don't you basically compare the incoming call to a database? Why would you need access to my contacts? Really it should be the users choice to upload their contacts or not, it shouldn't be mandatory. What will probably happen is Apple will release their own call blocking software without requiring you upload all your contacts and you guys will be out of business overnight. I wonder if you guys might not also hit some legal issues in the future as well. After all, whatever contact I'm uploading to you has not given permission to do so. Would that contact have legal recourse against myself or your company? I don't know, I'm not an attorney, but still interesting to consider.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting on you guys, I appreciate the app and all the hard work. It's just that in this day and age of privacy concerns giving you every single shred of information on all my contacts is just way too large of a privacy intrusion and security risk. If I suddenly found my address and phone numbers on someones list I'd be very pissed at whatever contact of mine uploaded that info.

Nope, no opt out at all. If you don't give up your contacts you cannot use the app at all.

You will still be able to make manual searches if contacts is not granted but other core features in the app will not work.

-Kamran
[doublepost=1474292256][/doublepost]

You will not be protected from spammers if you don't allow contact access but manual search will work.

Prior to iOS10 the only way for us to identify spammers for you was to create a contact with all spammers in it (identified as spam) which means we had to ask for contact access. However, in the upcoming iOS10 we're using the latest iOS CallKit API which will work even without contact access. You will still have the option to grant contact access for other core functionalities to work but it will not be mandatory for spam identification.

I hope this answers your questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further assistance.

Best,
Kamran

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
what does this have to do with the quoted post- are you saying callkit blocking/identification in your app does work on iphone 5?

edit: reading elsewhere it does seem very much a 64 bit only extension

can you comment on how well your app works in UK? (for devices that support callkit)

Hi,

Yes, it works like a charm on iPhone 5.

Truecaller is global and have in fact extremt high hitrate in blocking spam calls, internationally. We have an great blog post about that. I recommend that you read it. Feel free to ask for further questions.

Have a nice evening,
Kamran

https://blog.truecaller.com/2016/09...s-10-bring-spam-identification-to-the-masses/

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hi,

Yes, it works like a charm on iPhone 5.

Truecaller is global and have in fact extremt high hitrate in blocking spam calls, internationally. We have an great blog post about that. I recommend that you read it. Feel free to ask for further questions.

Have a nice evening,
Kamran

you're lying or have your facts wrong. callkit blocking is not supported on iphone 5, as it's a 64 bit extension and iphone 5 is only 32 bit.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Anyone else notice "Block Sender/Caller" is removed from iMessages when you go into their info or clicking on their photo? Why in the world would they remove this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.