Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themkook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Massive at 12.9", heavier and thicker than the previous Air, with a stylus.

Good idea? Bad idea? Will you be buying?

Is it really a "desktop computer" replacement?

Base price is $799 for the 32GB model (wi-fi only), the pencil is $99, the Smart Keyboard is $169.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Definitely has my attention, even potentially as a replacement for my MBP. :eek: (Would still have a office desktop, can't replace EVERY functionality of a full PC, but a great majority of my everyday tasks).

And as much I'm intrigued for my own use, really excited about how my kids could use it.

UPDATE: Just saw the pricing...OUCH! Starting with 32GB at that price is not very 'customer friendly', to be diplomatic. Price tag for a 128GB model with both Pencil and keyboard is $1217! :(

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My
Definitely has my attention, even potentially as a replacement for my MBP. :eek: (Would still have a office desktop, can't replace EVERY functionality of a full PC, but emgreat majority of my everyday tasks).

And as much I'm intrigued for my own use, really excited about how my kids could use it.
My 7 year old would love love this. I am seriously thinking about getting one.

Reactions: tbayrgs

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
No 16 GB model? No way I'm not getting it. I shouldn't have to pay extra for stage I don't need. Should have a 16 GB model for $699!

Reactions: cjking2007

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
I'm definitely going to buy one. It will be nice to finally be able to read full page PDFs at a proper size. And $799 seems to be an OK price too, compared to $499 for the iPad Air 2. And you get 32GB, which is perfect for me.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Its a beast but I would have like a more MS Surface like experience. But I guess they didnt want to do that since that may cut into the Macbook sales.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I had low expectations for the iPad Pro, but this announcement fell short of those expectations. :(

Disappointment #1: No support for pointing devices (mice/trackpads)

Disappointment #2: $940 for 128GB

Disappointment #3: price of the peripherals: $99 pencil, $170 keyboard.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I'm thinking it will only have 2gb of ram. Wish it had more than 10 hours battery life.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
It appears they've done a decent job translating pen strokes to the iPad, and I would love to use one for illustration work, but I won't because it's IOS, and all my professional tools are OSX. It will take a lot to get me to replace my Wacom Cintiq. Also, a $100 pencil?

No thanks, Apple. I'm good.

EDIT: As for the mobile capability: yes it would be nice to illustrate away from the office, that's why I have sketchbooks, pencils, pens and brushes. We artists love our gear.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
hi if i buy the apple pencil and after using it is there a place to put it on the ipad something like samsung note

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Aside from the fact that this device will allow for better iPad apps, there is no reason to get this over a Retina Macbook, unless you must have a touch screen.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I admit I was very "meh" about the Pro, it does sound cool, and I like the features and multiple speakers it has. The size and price are killer though. I sold my iPad Air 2, but now I might buy it again (especially with all the sales going on.) The pro is too pricey and the size might be too much. I would have been fine if Apple just silently updated the Air 3.
I guess I'll wait and see more images.

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Well i was going to let my Gran kid keep my Ipad air 2 but even with me being middle class not poor but not a 100K a year earner this price is a huge jump. Last year during Black Friday i got the Ipad air 2 on a ebay deal that sold out fast for 599$ with 128GB now if i could get this for 799$ with that much space that is 1 thing but almost a grand? and if you want the keyboard and pencil you are looking at 1200 plus? this is a tablet. For 1200 you can get a very nice unit that will do more then this. Ipad prices do not seem to drop much so i guess get it BLACK FRIDAY if you want one cause last year after Black Friday the Ipad air 2 went back up and as of the other day it was still selling for more then it was on BF. I wish Sprint who is my crappy provider would offer this with a good discount with a 2 year upgrade. I will have a 2 year upgrade to use soon but they mark them up so much there is no savings.

Reactions: cjking2007

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I love it, personally. Everything about the presentation resonated with me. The iPad is one of my favorite products ever, and I love the large format touch screen. An even larger screen, with the new iOS, and a stylus, is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Very excited and a day 1 buy for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.