Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
Massive at 12.9", heavier and thicker than the previous Air, with a stylus.

Good idea? Bad idea? Will you be buying?

Is it really a "desktop computer" replacement?

Base price is $799 for the 32GB model (wi-fi only), the pencil is $99, the Smart Keyboard is $169.

Hey, check out Pope Francis's great cover for his new iPad Pro....

upload_2015-9-9_18-55-42.png

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Now that it has been announced, i think apple like microsoft is planting the seed for these kind of devices to become the norm, the advantage that apple has now is that the apps developed for iOS are touch first always, while it is great that the surface devices (3 & onward) run existing apps, they weren't made with touch first in mind. The only problem i can think of is if the iPad Pro sells well which i think it will what will happen to the macbook or laptops in general, will they all become hybrids of some sort. The only issue that has to be fixed is lapability and im sure someone will fix that. Interesting times ahead.

Reactions: gteska

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Cases, stands, accessories, i'm going to poor house

:(

But I use my Air as a (very good) music stand. It's almost perfect for that, but a hair too small (just a hair).

Problem solved :)

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
For those with very specific needs this is great. I have a Surface Pro, I have one use for it which is to read technical documents and journal papers, as well as to take notes on it. I don't need a full OS, and I'm very ready to ditch Windows 8.

Reactions: arcite and Beachguy

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
The funny thing is that this iPad pro is pretty much designed for people like me. I'm a pro photographer and amateur web designer. The price point is cheaper than Cintiq alternatives and it's a full iPad. The full digital digitizer is excellent and the apple pencil will be the pen tablet alternative for me. The battery life and apps are already excellent on it but this will open the way for even more advanced apps to get released. I will definitely be getting one as well as both accessories. The keyboard still seems a little too surface-esque but I essentially needed an iPad that is more like the Surface RT. The biggest reason why I don't need full OSX on this iPad Pro is due to the fact that even OSX is still pretty bloated in comparison to iOS and I want touchscreen access vs trackpad access to apps. At just over $1k for the 128GB WiFi+LTE model, it's basically competing with the MacBook Air 11 and the new MacBook. Big differences between the iPad pro and the other two alternatives is iOS, LTE, apple pencil, and the keyboard. When looking at the Surface Pro 3, I feel that the apps and ecosystem are just much better. The performance will also be pretty good on this iPad pro compared to surfaces and even MacBook Air.

Reactions: Faelan and Hellenek

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think it's just too much money to pay for a "computer" that doesn't even allow me to truly access and manage my own files. That's the one thing that bugs me about iOS. Even a budget Android tablet gives you more control of the content and OS on your device than the iPad Pro does.

Reactions: dk001

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It's your lucky day! You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free right now, and it does a surprisingly great job of automatically switching between desktop and tablet mode. ;)

Why is there a tablet mode and a desktop mode? I don't understand Windows ever since they went RT and 8. I also don't like looking for apps in iOS without spotlight. So I'm probably one of the people that just need Siri or shortcut ways to access apps.

Reactions: Beachguy

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
During today's event, I noticed they compared the weight and depth of the iPad Pro with the original iPad and not the Air. Made me chuckle a bit "This device 5 years later is only slightly thicker and heavier!" :)

I don't think I'm the use case for an iPad Pro though and I'm happy to keep my Air 2 another year. I've bought every single iPad released since V1 in 2010. The upgrades are generally pretty worth while except iPad 4 which felt like I had wasted my money. The Air 1 and Air 2 are incredible devices. I've loved using them.

---

The thing is, I have an iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, SS Apple Watch, Current Gen 15" Retina MBP w/ 4K Dell Display and a 27" 2013 Core i7 iMac

Where would the iPad Pro fit into my life? I don't take notes on my iPad, take it to meetings, write emails or post to social networks. I open Reddit, my RSS reader, Instapaper, Safari and YouTube and maybe check the weather and scan emails in the morning and delete / flag ones at random. I don't even play games on it.

It appears the iPad Pro is for people who don't use a laptop, right? I can't imagine holding the Pro in bed every night for 2 hours while I read and watch TV shows. When I get an email I want to respond to, I walk over to my iMac and bang it out then go back to reading.

This is probably the first Apple Product since the eMac where I saw it and went, "hmm, that's really not something for me". Which is weird because as you can see, I've found a reason to basically integrate almost every Macintosh into my life aside from the Mac Pro simply due to cost reasons.

The iPad Pro with Pencil will be cool to see in person but I can't imagine where it fits into my life.

Edit:
Maybe just thinking out loud but maybe the iPad Pro would work when I travel and want to work lights. I have a Canon 5D M3 w/ Adobe Lightroom CC on my computers. If I can edit RAW files, hundreds of them on iPad Pro w/ Lightroom Mobile and post to 500px, Flickr and my wordpress blog at the same speed as my MBP, I'd probably be sold but that's probably the only thing I can think of.

My backpack is 5D w/ 3 lenses, cables, MBP, iPad Air 2 and a Mophie Juice pack along with a tripod hanging off the side. The setup isn't that heavy and anything that requires typing gets my Macbook treatment.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Not buying - way too expensive.

and you still need iTunes on a laptop o_O

I would disagree with your last statement. A ton of non-techies use an iPad or iPhone as their sole computer. they use Apple Music, iCloud backups and iCloud Drive. They may not have ever used iTunes ever. When you get a new iPhone, you don't need to plug into iTunes to set it up or charge it. Setup iCloud Sync, Bookmarks, Keychain and off you go.

Reactions: Hellenek

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I think it's just too much money to pay for a "computer" that doesn't even allow me to truly access and manage my own files. That's the one thing that bugs me about iOS. Even a budget Android tablet gives you more control of the content and OS on your device than the iPad Pro does.
I would agree with you except that I lose most of my files if someone or something doesn't manage it for me. iOS really lacks grouping files together so that's the other side of the coin but at least apps can manage their respective files for me. Again, it's not the right solution for everyone.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
My only problem, my ONLY problem with it is the fact that it runs the ultra-limited version of iOS. Until it runs OS X or iOS becomes as free if not more free than Android, it's an expensive near-paperweight.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I would disagree with your last statement. A ton of non-techies use an iPad or iPhone as their sole computer. they use Apple Music, iCloud backups and iCloud Drive. They may not have ever used iTunes ever. When you get a new iPhone, you don't need to plug into iTunes to set it up or charge it. Setup iCloud Sync, Bookmarks, Keychain and off you go.
Good for them. iTunes for Mac make no sense at all and is easily one of the worst apps/things about a Mac.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
It's your lucky day! You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free right now, and it does a surprisingly great job of automatically switching between desktop and tablet mode. ;)

Haha. I'm going to have to give a no thanks here. Giving how little I use the OS (I really just want the bigger screen for reading and note taking), I just want to go back to something simple.

Reactions: Codeseven

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I'm buying one. Why?

1) I have unlimited LTE via my ATT iPad plan....if a macbook had a sim slot then things would be different
2) I need a bigger screen than my iPad Air
3) I'm a tactile type person and touch with a pencil excites me
4) I can get by with iOS & apps...I've proven that to myself on the road many times
5) iOS9 safari supposedly allows things like add-block which is required IMHO for mobile the web these days
6) Office and iWork via iCloud and Dropbox covers most of my needs

I will be selling my 13" MBA and 10" iPad Air and replacing both with the iPad pro. I hope the pencil acts somewhat like a mouse when needed.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I would agree with you except that I lose most of my files if someone or something doesn't manage it for me. iOS really lacks grouping files together so that's the other side of the coin but at least apps can manage their respective files for me. Again, it's not the right solution for everyone.

And that seems to be the basis of Apple's reasoning, making it (pardon the expression) "idiot proof". But it's how each app and its content feels so isolated from everything else that I really don't appreciate. It just feel so restrictive. Like the iPad is just an extension of an actual computer. I thought that maybe the Pro would be different.

My only problem, my ONLY problem with it is the fact that it runs the ultra-limited version of iOS. Until it runs OS X or iOS becomes as free if not more free than Android, it's an expensive near-paperweight.

That's exactly what I'm saying, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it a paperweight. I feel that if a tablet costs this much it should be a viable replacement for a laptop. Sorry Apple, but Microsoft has the better "Pro" tablet in my opinion.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
During today's event, I noticed they compared the weight and depth of the iPad Pro with the original iPad and not the Air. Made me chuckle a bit "This device 5 years later is only slightly thicker and heavier!" :)

I don't think I'm the use case for an iPad Pro though and I'm happy to keep my Air 2 another year. I've bought every single iPad released since V1 in 2010. The upgrades are generally pretty worth while except iPad 4 which felt like I had wasted my money. The Air 1 and Air 2 are incredible devices. I've loved using them.

---

The thing is, I have an iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, SS Apple Watch, Current Gen 15" Retina MBP w/ 4K Dell Display and a 27" 2013 Core i7 iMac

Where would the iPad Pro fit into my life? I don't take notes on my iPad, take it to meetings, write emails or post to social networks. I open Reddit, my RSS reader, Instapaper, Safari and YouTube and maybe check the weather and scan emails in the morning and delete / flag ones at random. I don't even play games on it.

It appears the iPad Pro is for people who don't use a laptop, right? I can't imagine holding the Pro in bed every night for 2 hours while I read and watch TV shows. When I get an email I want to respond to, I walk over to my iMac and bang it out then go back to reading.

This is probably the first Apple Product since the eMac where I saw it and went, "hmm, that's really not something for me". Which is weird because as you can see, I've found a reason to basically integrate almost every Macintosh into my life aside from the Mac Pro simply due to cost reasons.

The iPad Pro with Pencil will be cool to see in person but I can't imagine where it fits into my life.

Edit:
Maybe just thinking out loud but maybe the iPad Pro would work when I travel and want to work lights. I have a Canon 5D M3 w/ Adobe Lightroom CC on my computers. If I can edit RAW files, hundreds of them on iPad Pro w/ Lightroom Mobile and post to 500px, Flickr and my wordpress blog at the same speed as my MBP, I'd probably be sold but that's probably the only thing I can think of.

My backpack is 5D w/ 3 lenses, cables, MBP, iPad Air 2 and a Mophie Juice pack along with a tripod hanging off the side. The setup isn't that heavy and anything that requires typing gets my Macbook treatment.

Just like you said in your post it's ALL about life style. I have a old Mac mini that I do everything on, I answer email and code on it and I love the keyboard and love to type on it. I love the feel of working on a computer connected to two huge monitors. But I also do a lot of reading and note taking. The size of the pro for me would be awesome.

Also I can see how you'd have issue fitting this guy into your life style. You already have almost all other apple products :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellenek

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
All I can do is laugh as people think the A9X is at desktop level in performance. To even think it compares to the Surface pro can get you tested for dementia. Nothing about the iPad pro screams pro as it is running iOS. Most hospitals use convertibles, touched based windows laptops, and tablets. i have yet to see a hospital using an iPad for important healthcare based functions. This is a joke as not a self respecting company is going to consider a device which is more expensive than even the Surface Pro 3 to be a so called productivity tool. Alot of the programs and software business runs on windows.

If this was running OSX maybe it would stand a decent chance in enterprise but this is yet another consumer device. IF the Surface Pro 4 is debuted in October the enterprise market won't be even paying the iPad pro no mind. Hell even the stock dropped after wall street can grasp who is apple targeting with the iPad Pro and the apple pencil. Wall Street was like o_O?????

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
And that seems to be the basis of Apple's reasoning, making it (pardon the expression) "idiot proof". But it's how each app and its content feels so isolated from everything else that I really don't appreciate. It just feel so restrictive. Like the iPad is just an extension of an actual computer. I thought that maybe the Pro would be different.

Idiot proof is a good thing for me. I do feel that content from time to time can be isolated but it looks like they are starting to build in extensions for apps which allow for cross usage of information/files. The photography/post processing stuff has been like that where I can use different apps to make up a custom workflow with stuff made by a bunch of companies. Although it is slightly restrictive now, it seems functional to me since I can import raw photos, process the raws, edit the exif/meta for he photos, then edit the photo for changes, finalize an image, upload the image to iCloud photos for later backup, import the finalized image into a pages document, write an article for the photo, and then email/Dropbox/send the article for review and publishing all on the same device that can be in the field for 10 hours or so.

Dante Rising

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
How will games currently designed for the iPad Air look on this screen? Will they be stretched, pixelated, etc?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't help but think this product has a niche market, and its high price tag will further limit its success.

On paper, I like what it has to offer, but I don't see it replacing my Surface Pro 3 (running a desktop OS) or my MBP.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I have mixed feelings on this: I like the design but it would have been nice to see a 12MP camera on the back like the new iPhones and a trackpad on the keyboard case. I wonder if it can be used as a secondary monitor for a MacBook... That alone would make it worthwhile for me.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
And that seems to be the basis of Apple's reasoning, making it (pardon the expression) "idiot proof".

Windows is getting there, too. Windows 10 (Home) automatically downloads and installs updates, without the option to disable or manually control this. The Pro version gives you the all or nothing "choice". For me, this crosses the line, but it leaves me with not-so-great choices. There's no new 17" MBP, Linux is tinker-y if I want a bleeding edge distro (I enjoy that, but it's a bit of a time-sink)) and the software I need is not natively available, and Windows goes into a direction I disagree with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.