Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
So I pulled the trigger on a Mac Mini! I got the mid tier version and bought the apple bluetooth keyboard (already had an apple magic mouse) and Apple care. Total was around $950. It looks fantastic on my big screen TV!

All I need to do now is sell my Macbook Air! What do y'all suggest is the best way to sell a Macbook? First time selling one!

Reactions: Undo

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Lesser Evets is spot on.

Exactly. I am tempted, but I simply don't think the app market is there now (at least for my needs) to make the IPP a must buy.

But you're missing the big picture

There are so far next to no apps for the ipp. Only a minute handful of stock apps. This will ABSOLUTELY immediately change!

Within hours of the ipp being launched or available for pre-launch there will be specific apps available. And this list will grow exponentially. Do you think we'll be starved of quality (or any) apps? Of course not.
There's zero apps available at this moment because the ipad pro doesnt yet exist to use them on. But we'll soon be swamped!

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
But you're missing the big picture

There are so far next to no apps for the ipp. Only a minute handful of stock apps. This will ABSOLUTELY immediately change!

Within hours of the ipp being launched or available for pre-launch there will be specific apps available. And this list will grow exponentially. Do you think we'll be starved of quality (or any) apps? Of course not.
There's zero apps available at this moment because the ipad pro doesnt yet exist to use them on. But we'll soon be swamped!

Oh I realize that. I know Apple will have a portfolio of apps ready at launch, I am just not sure whether those apps will be ones that I need/want for my potential uses of the ipp. Granted, that also depends on the app designers themselves and how quickly they can script a program that makes specific use of the ipp. But I think the app maturing process will take some time and right now I'm willing to wait for the market to shake out. I wouldn't want to throw $1,200+ (not including tax) away. Even if I wanted or needed it badly, I wouldn't preorder without trying it out first.

I suppose part of it is I am unsure how the ipp would fit into my workflow without causing overlap with the other tools I use.

But I'm sure we'll have more info about it closer to launch and my stance might change.

Reactions: sjleworthy

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Oh I realize that. I know Apple will have a portfolio of apps ready at launch, I am just not sure whether those apps will be ones that I need/want for my potential uses of the ipp. Granted, that also depends on the app designers themselves and how quickly they can script a program that makes specific use of the ipp. But I think the app maturing process will take some time and right now I'm willing to wait for the market to shake out. I wouldn't want to throw $1,200+ (not including tax) away. Even if I wanted or needed it badly, I wouldn't preorder without trying it out first.

I suppose part of it is I am unsure how the ipp would fit into my workflow without causing overlap with the other tools I use.

But I'm sure we'll have more info about it closer to launch and my stance might change.
I agree with you on both fronts. Im sure apple will have a special "ipad Pro" section of the app store when it arrives. I also probably wont be pre ordering it because i want to test it out in the store a couple of times before I commit $1200 for it. As a designer I really want it for the pencil. The pro's way more portable then my small cintiq. I just need to make sure I can draw with my type of sketching style on it.

Reactions: fanta88

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
The strength of the iPad pro will be to run Universal apps but have more resolution/space as well as being able to split screen 2 apps. For those of us using Pixelmator, Astropad, sketch pad, photo gene, iMovie, and other graphic intensive apps, the iPad pro will be a great device even surpassing running Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Final Cut Pro X, and aperture on an OSX machine just for convenience. The main point is to simplify and accelerate workflow. I have to admit however that affinity photo is giving Pixelmator and Photoshop a run for the money on OSX. What I really want right now is DxO Optics for iOS so I can use their RAW processing engine on an iPad.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
If you talk with someone in tech supp he will tell you that in app store all the apps for ipad pro will be in the first day of launch
Probably in a tab named "designed for ipad pro"

The next ios will allow,i hope multiple users accounts

Last edited:

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I'm a bit late to this thread, so my apologies if you've discussed this already but . . .

. . . because I'm addicted to Apple products I'm going to be extremely tempted to sell my iPad Air 2 and MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013) in order to buy an iPad Pro, with keyboard case and pencil.

All I use my Apple products for is: Safari, Word, Excel, Preview, Photos, Dropbox, Movies (watching), . . .

Is this an obviously dumb idea?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm a bit late to this thread, so my apologies if you've discussed this already but . . .

. . . because I'm addicted to Apple products I'm going to be extremely tempted to sell my iPad Air 2 and MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013) in order to buy an iPad Pro, with keyboard case and pencil.

All I use my Apple products for is: Safari, Word, Excel, Preview, Photos, Dropbox, Movies (watching), . . .

It all depends on what you need out of a computer. For all the things you listed the iPad Pro will be, in my opinion, the best device as you're combining the fun, interactive multi-touch experience with a ton of power. That being said, what if you need to restore the iPad without iTunes? How will you sync the device and download files? Can all of your media fit on the 128GB iPad? Will you ever need more professional applications on go? If you have a desktop I think you'll be fine but otherwise I don't think the iPad is quite ready to take on the role of a main/sole computer.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Id love to sell myself on the iPad Pro but its simply too expensive for what I feel Im getting. Not saying its a bad value its just that the amount it'd cost with the add-ons gets it way too close to rMBP or a MacBook Air. Heck, its even close to what a new MacBook would cost. Just saying... that does come into consideration for a lot of us.

Reactions: fanta88

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Id love to sell myself on the iPad Pro but its simply too expensive for what I feel Im getting. Not saying its a bad value its just that the amount it'd cost with the add-ons gets it way too close to rMBP or a MacBook Air. Heck, its even close to what a new MacBook would cost. Just saying... that does come into consideration for a lot of us.
Well what do you value most in your devices?
Many would argue that the massive multi-touch screen and the four speaker sound system with a device that will likely clock over 7000 on GeekBench is just as valuable as a MacBook Air, since it's also thinner and lighter. In my opinion you shouldn't just be considering the raw specs but what kind of experience those specs deliver.
However, I definitely get what you mean with the retina MacBook Pro argument, very hard to pass that up for the same price.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Well what do you value most in your devices?
Many would argue that the massive multi-touch screen and the four speaker sound system with a device that will likely clock over 7000 on GeekBench is just as valuable as a MacBook Air, since it's also thinner and lighter. In my opinion you shouldn't just be considering the raw specs but what kind of experience those specs deliver.
However, I definitely get what you mean with the retina MacBook Pro argument, very hard to pass that up for the same price.

Same here. I'm all too aware that the entry price for the 128 ipp + pencil and keypad is essentially the same as the base retina Macbook, a device that I covet but haven't purchased yet because 1)I already have a rMBP, and 2) I'm waiting to see whether the Skylake Core M appears in the next iteration.

Of course, I understand that I would lack a touchscreen and the pencil on the retina Macbook; on the other hand, I would be on OSX and not iOS.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
This may be a tough sell as a standalone computer, But it works really as an adjunct to an iMac or rMBP.

Also, it doesn't seem like the destination but a big step in a new direction. It has so many new things I'm not sure how we will all use it. Siri is getting better and better, online storage is getting better and better, the larger screen of the iPad pro makes it easier to use VNC to access and Mac or the Internet.

The large screen with much better audio will make this a very nice kiosk device.

Looking at this simply as a replacement for an existing Macintosh is using to narrow of a scope. This is a new tool that will do new things.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
I totally agree, I don't think you can just get cut and dry with what the iPad pro will do or be for everybody. It's kind of a Swiss Army knife of applications. I don't see it as a desktop or laptop replacement per se. It could be for some but probably won't be for many. It's just a better and different interface of the tablet concept.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I totally agree, I don't think you can just get cut and dry with what the iPad pro will do or be for everybody. It's kind of a Swiss Army knife of applications. I don't see it as a desktop or laptop replacement per se. It could be for some but probably won't be for many. It's just a better and different interface of the tablet concept.

I agree with this, while people are running around losing their minds saying things like "it's just a bigger iPad" "it should have OSX on it" I'm personally thinking, then the iPad Pro isn't for you, it will (as you have said) replace some people's computers, but as Tim Cook has already stated it will not replace everyone's Mac's, some people will have both, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't see why everything has to replace something else, can't it just be a device that compliments the Mac? Some things you are going to want to do on the IPad Pro because of the touch interface and other things you are going to want to do on a Mac.

The iPad Pro will have many uses and I for one intend to pre-order/ buy one the moment it becomes available.

Reactions: itsOver9000

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The iPad Pro is not the laptop replacement of today, but of tomorrow. I believe it's Apple's first step towards giving developers the screen real estate and power to create mobile apps that finally rival their desktop counterparts. The iPad Pro isn't to that point yet (it isn't even out yet!), but in time, perhaps it can replace some peoples' Macbooks. All depends on what the app devs do. And of course, it could turn out to never be a laptop replacement. It's a buyer's market. Time will tell.

Reactions: Codeseven

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
The iPad Pro is not the laptop replacement of today, but of tomorrow. I believe it's Apple's first step towards giving developers the screen real estate and power to create mobile apps that finally rival their desktop counterparts. The iPad Pro isn't to that point yet (it isn't even out yet!), but in time, perhaps it can replace some peoples' Macbooks. All depends on what the app devs do. And of course, it could turn out to never be a laptop replacement. It's a buyer's market. Time will tell.

Agreed.

It's not simply what it appears to be today (simply a bigger iPad), but instead what it will become tomorrow.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I agree with you on both fronts. Im sure apple will have a special "ipad Pro" section of the app store when it arrives. I also probably wont be pre ordering it because i want to test it out in the store a couple of times before I commit $1200 for it. As a designer I really want it for the pencil. The pro's way more portable then my small cintiq. I just need to make sure I can draw with my type of sketching style on it.
I have a feeling you won't have an issue at all :D I wish I was a designer/artist so I could really utilize the iPad Pro.

Reactions: nickyD410

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013

Not at all! Everyone has their own unique use case. I have an iPad Air 2 and used to have a Macbook Air (just sold it today for $600!!) and I bought a Mac Mini for my base computer hooked to my TV and I'll be getting the Pro to replace my iPad Air 2 and Macbook Air. I think it'll be perfect for what I need it for (mainly note taking at school and writing papers for the Macbook Air uses and entertainment consumption for the iPad Air 2 uses)

November can't come soon enough!!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why is there STILL no UK Price for an iPad Pro in the UK ?

Are Apple scared of Microsoft and waiting till Microsoft announce the UK Price of the Surface 4 ?

Apple............ Why are you not giving us a price for the iPad Pro in the UK yet?

I want one........... Why won't you tell me how much it's going to cost?

Reactions: Dave245

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Why is there STILL no UK Price for an iPad Pro in the UK ?

Are Apple scared of Microsoft and waiting till Microsoft announce the UK Price of the Surface 4 ?

Apple............ Why are you not giving us a price for the iPad Pro in the UK yet?

I want one........... Why won't you tell me how much it's going to cost?

It doesnt matter. There's no ulterior motive. Chill out :)

Besides, you can get a good idea of costs by normal currency converts. Wont be accurate, but will give you a ball park figure. Don't worry over it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.