Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I wonder IF that ipad thickness is enough to put easily to charge the apple pencil when the ipad is on the table, i mean the ipad isnt too thin not to have to raise the ipad to put the pencil charging??!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I wonder IF that ipad thickness is enough to put easily to charge the apple pencil when the ipad is on the table, i mean the ipad isnt too thin not to have to raise the ipad to put the pencil charging??!

As much as this is talked about, I don't actually expect that I'll spend a lot of time with my iPad plugged into the pencil to charge like this. It really will be for emergency, in the field recharging.

As to the question itself, not one clue. We don't have the numbers on how thick the Pencil is (no tech specs yet).

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
My guess is around November 25th for release. Apple isn't known for picking the early part of the month when they issue a vague window like this.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I could definitely see an end of October pre-order and early November release. I really hope it isn't a late November release.... That's too long to wait. lol ;)

Kal.

Hopefully this is the case, I really want to buy one, it just depends on how popular the iPad Pro is and how many they can produce in time.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Retrogecko

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
I am quite intrigued by the iPad Pro, as an art student. I have a 1st Gen Mini which has been good for on-the-go stuff.

I have no clue if it's possible, but it would be really interesting to use this as a tablet much like the Wacom line. To connect it to my mac & run photoshop & such on it. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility, but that's a feature I really wish we could see. I love Wacom, but to be able to use this as a drawing tablet + take it on the go & run all my iPad apps would be a dream

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I am quite intrigued by the iPad Pro, as an art student. I have a 1st Gen Mini which has been good for on-the-go stuff.

I have no clue if it's possible, but it would be really interesting to use this as a tablet much like the Wacom line. To connect it to my mac & run photoshop & such on it. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility, but that's a feature I really wish we could see. I love Wacom, but to be able to use this as a drawing tablet + take it on the go & run all my iPad apps would be a dream
Theres an app called astro pad which turns an ipad into a wacom style display. I think some people on here have it. the developer says that they want to support the apple pencil. http://astropad.com/ipad/

Reactions: Capt T

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I'm ready for November. I'm more excited to see what comes out with it accessory wise. What sort of peripherals will work with the Smart connector? What sort of super charged apps will come out?

rokey

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
NC
Hey, I hope you're right! I'm just saying Apple tends to really take it to the end of any semi-vague timeframe they announce.

With the 21st-29th being an "extended holiday week," Friday the 13th (I'm not superstitious, and I'm not saying that Apple is, but I do believe that they will take other people's beliefs into account...), and Apple's likelihood to want to dominate my holiday gifting budget... I'm just guessing (with hope), that the 10th-12th is the most realistic range for that particular month. :D

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Price tag for a 128GB model with both Pencil and keyboard is $1217! :(
Yeah, the price is hurtful. It's a new design with lots of cutting edge technology, I get that, but Over $1,200 fully loaded is really pushing it. Would like to see that come down to under $1K in a couple years. A 32GB model plus LTE plus keyboard and pencil at $700 or so would move a lot more units IMO. Artists especially should eat these up, I could see these being standard gear at art schools everywhere in the world. There is nothing else like it, not Surface and not Wacom Cintiq.

Will be interesting when we find out how much it actually costs Apple to build these things. I'm going to guess the bill of materials on the $1,200 hardware is well under $500. Of course there's R&D and marketing and all the other hidden costs but still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.