Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Does anyone have an idea/feeling on what non-optimized apps will look like on the larger screen? This is the biggest jump in screen size that iOS has had since the original iPad.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I have no problem with the price, I would buy it just for the larger screen, faster processor, more pixels, and more ram. The pencil is a bonus. I wager many will buy the pro just for the larger screen, it will be great for reading and browsing.
Pretty much why I'm buying. 4GB of RAM? Yes please.

gteska

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
Now that it has been announced, i think apple like microsoft is planting the seed for these kind of devices to become the norm, the advantage that apple has now is that the apps developed for iOS are touch first always, while it is great that the surface devices (3 & onward) run existing apps, they weren't made with touch first in mind. The only problem i can think of is if the iPad Pro sells well which i think it will what will happen to the macbook or laptops in general, will they all become hybrids of some sort. The only issue that has to be fixed is lapability and im sure someone will fix that. Interesting times ahead.

Yes, interesting times ahead.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Now that it has been announced, i think apple like microsoft is planting the seed for these kind of devices to become the norm, the advantage that apple has now is that the apps developed for iOS are touch first always, while it is great that the surface devices (3 & onward) run existing apps, they weren't made with touch first in mind. The only problem i can think of is if the iPad Pro sells well which i think it will what will happen to the macbook or laptops in general, will they all become hybrids of some sort. The only issue that has to be fixed is lapability and im sure someone will fix that. Interesting times ahead.
Agreed.. I can't imagine the laptops going touch-ish though. I don't think apple will do hybrids.. Probably. The odd thing I'm wondering about is now Apple have official stylus support - if certain apps get designed around it.. It could force Apple's hand to either spread the pencil support to the smaller future iPads.

I mean, apps like procreate are designed with stylus input in mind already, so I guess they've seen the success of those apps and just thought - hell, we can do that hardware better - but it does leave them in an odd place now. With no touchpad.. And an optional pencil. The pro really sets itself apart, but for how long?

I often use a clamcase on my ipad3, so its often a laptop in my use anyway..

You know what'd be a fun, if silly hybrid? A thin portable keyboard that runs osX (basically the bottom half of the new macbook), paired with a tablet that runs iOS. Connect them together and somehow the screen displays both.. Then it'd cater to everyone and you could leave the osX half at home if you wanted to sketch on the move. If apple ever release something like that I'll eat my hat though.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have no problem with the price, I would buy it just for the larger screen, faster processor, more pixels, and more ram. The pencil is a bonus. I wager many will buy the pro just for the larger screen, it will be great for reading and browsing.
I want one for those reasons... Bigger screen allowing split screen "full size" document viewing & annotating. Meeting agenda Word doc or PDF on one side, a notes app like OneNote with pen (Pencil) support and wrist rejection on the other side.

While a laptop with OS X is an essential tool, taking nodes and marking up a PDF is faster and easier (for me) with a tablet and a stylus.

So, what I really want is an iPad Pro and a retina MacBook.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
lol...what! It isn't and never will be a laptop replacement until it becomes more like the Surface.

The Surface has full applications--but these are somewhat difficult to use in tablet mode due to traditional ui's. The ipad pro has ios apps are more tablet friendly but less powerful. So there are problems in both approaches. I'm guessing ios gains power before windows resolves its ui issues

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
iPad Pro Deal Breakers

Missing 3D Force Touch
Missing Taptic Feedback
Missing USB Type C (so no fast charging and other missing benefits of Type C)
Missing Optical Image Stabilization
Missing Gorilla Glass 4

if theres one rule to live by its never buy 1st Gen Apple hardware period. Next years model A10X CPU will address any problems that come up 1st Gen Tech is basically a Public Beta.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
As an owner of the Note Pro 12.2 and Note 4 for the last year or so, I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple does with the Pencil. I use my S-Pens almost entirely for taking notes while programming and in meetings, not for art purposes. Mobile devices STILL don't feel like "productivity" devices to me. These really are an awkward class of devices. I do think they have a future in the enterprise. Our IT department is actively working on integrating iPads into our sales and shop floor environments but limited Citrix and AD support seems to be slowing down progress.

Despite being a long-time Android user, I'm waiting to see what happens with the SP4 and iPad Pro. I will likely end up with one of these two devices to replace my Note Pro 12.2. Given the feature set I don't really think the iPad Pro is overpriced. The Pencil really should be included though. I'd love to see it supported on future iPhone "Plus" iterations as well.

choirboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
I guess I'm one of the "Pros" this thing is aimed at. As a pro musician I've been using iPads for a few years now in live music-making (mostly synth and effects apps). With my first one I realized that while I can have various apps "open", swiping from one to another can cause the first app to skip / glitch if it is playing a loop or an arppegiation. So I got a second one and use one app at a time on each. This has worked well, but of course entails extra set -up (a second input, output, and resulting mixer channel). This new Pro, with its split screen capability, should solve these issues. That said, I don't think I'll buy this first generation, or at least will sit back and see what my fellow music pros who do jump on it have to say. (Oh, and for sheet music reading anything would be better than the current iPad size.)

Eventually, as I mentioned in another post, I can stack all my i-devices together like those keyboard players did with their synths back in the 70's. ;)

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
This would have been a far bigger game changer if it ran OSX.

Imagine if Tim Cook said "I. Pad. Pro. Runs. O. S. X"... The whole room would have erupted. A real missed opportunity.

To me, Pro means OSX.

Still, maybe Apple are biding their time. But I do believe a hybrid iOS / OSX system would be a game changer for Apple.

They really are behind the 8 ball now.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I want one for those reasons... Bigger screen allowing split screen "full size" document viewing & annotating. Meeting agenda Word doc or PDF on one side, a notes app like OneNote with pen (Pencil) support and wrist rejection on the other side.

While a laptop with OS X is an essential tool, taking nodes and marking up a PDF is faster and easier (for me) with a tablet and a stylus.

So, what I really want is an iPad Pro and a retina MacBook.

Me too. :)

What would be really awesome is if Apple would provide a native way of using the iPad Pro as a wireless second screen for your Macbook. It's now large enough to be truly useful, but I've tried every third-party application for this and they are all mediocre at best.

Imagine if Tim Cook said "I. Pad. Pro. Runs. O. S. X"... The whole room would have erupted. A real missed opportunity.

To me, Pro means OSX.

Still, maybe Apple are biding their time. But I do believe a hybrid iOS / OSX system would be a game changer for Apple.

If you think Apple ever had any intention of releasing this with OS X you don't understand Apple at all.

Yes, there is a niche of people who would want OS X on a tablet today, but honestly, Apple is not building the iPad Pro for today. It is a platform to help make iOS a next-generation operating system.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
At the end of the day they have simply done another copying job - this time it's the Surface Pro though at a much higher price with a poorer spec than the MS offering.

When are they going to come up with a product they can truly claim as their own?

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or did you just pull that out of thin air?

Jesus Christ. The iPad pro is dozens or hundreds of times faster at many applications than the surface, and several times more efficient.

Also not everyone cares about price. I could not possibly give less of a damn about whether this costs $200 or $5,000. It literally doesn't matter. At the end of the day this little tablet is the only peice of technology on the face of the earth that will let me remotely edit Lightoom photos in the cloud on location for 6 hours no problem with no slow downs. A surface can't even claim do 1/4 of that due to poor efficiency, and the experience is laughable.

You clearly don't understand how things work in the real world and the word practicality clearly scares you. Not everything breaks down to specs and price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sech and Cape Dave

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
iPad Pro Deal Breakers

Missing 3D Force Touch
Missing Taptic Feedback
Missing USB Type C (so no fast charging and other missing benefits of Type C)
Missing Optical Image Stabilization
Missing Gorilla Glass 4

if theres one rule to live by its never buy 1st Gen Apple hardware period. Next years model A10X CPU will address any problems that come up 1st Gen Tech is basically a Public Beta.
Really?
On a 12.9 inch iPad Pro?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I've never bought anything from Apple off the Refurbished dept.
Does anybody know about how long it takes for a newly introduced item such as this to start showing up in the refurbs?

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
It will be interesting to see if apple moves to USB type C in sequential iPad Pro releases. Given that the port is a little bigger than the lightning port and the eventual thinning of devices with every iteration.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
The iPad Pro is still running a mobile OS that doesn't support things like USB devices or pointing devices like mice and trackpads. The iPad Pro still has the same limitations for peripherals as the non-Pro iPad. Yes, the iOS ecosystem is rich and mature. But this thing is going up against the Surface Pro and it falls short in the "Pro" dept.

Processor speeds and feeds are not in and of themselves important to me. I don't stare at spec sheets but use devices to get things done. So I don't particularly care what the clock speeds are of things but how they perform in everyday tasks.

The Apple Pencil is twice as expensive as active styli for Windows tablets.

I've been a pretty vocal advocate for an iPad Pro device on this forum. If Apple had included support for mice/trackpads and kept the price of the device ($800 for 64GB) and peripherals ($50 pencil, $100 keyboard) in line with the competition, I would've been all over it.

Ultimately, the iPad Pro brings only a larger screen and a stylus.

I'm with you, as far as specs. But not when it comes to peripheral connectivity. All situations I mentioned aren't looking to 'add' to their slate. Surgeons are busy 'cutting'. Artists, 'drawing'. Folks editing motion or stills aren't going to BLINK @ $99 for a pencil 'twice as much' as the SPro when they find out it's also twice as good!
Active styli and Wacom tabs (that still mandate a computer to function) are/were twice this price just a couple years ago!
In the 'pit, I'm flying. I don't want a mouse and since switching to OS X in 2007 as my primary, home and business OS ...I've enjoyed not needing a mouse. The rMBP trackpad blows everything from every OEM making Windows Rigs out of the water.
And I still always own a dedicated Win rig for proprietary software. I mentioned it earlier

I have a feeling we're about the same age. No need to respond to this as its a bit off topic - though not totally. I'm 44 and was coding on an Apple IIe in '83. Carrying my floppies (5 ¼") to & from school as we were using DOS. No HDD or 'internal' storage back then, playing MS's Flight simulator lol. Twenty years of Windows only in office was enough for me and I've learned. Possibly because of my job, to adapt to change and 'forward thinking'. I love and welcome the cloud as my new 'Finder' or file system as much a Terminal junkie as I am and lover of OSX - it is always humorous to me when someone complains they're a 'power user' and iOS won't 'cut it' for their use. Makes ZERO sense. iOS developers have a single development platform. And if you're using the latest, or even second to latest models, iOS 'apps' (I consider software as I was productive when Offoce was measured in double digit megabytes too!) are absolutely, 100% optimized for ONE phone or tablet. The Surface pro (I own the third model) is an excellent computer. For maybe Word, PP and surfing
I won't be using it to batch convert a hundred raw CS1 files or manipulating Photoshop layers in the dozens without bringing it to its knees. AE is a joke in my SP - not my rMBP
BUT Adobe and MS and Autodesk and Pinnacle are ALL developing and commiting more resources to mobile development than the desk or lap today. And they're releasing FIRST on iOS! Took forever for an Android version of Office to appear

And when it comes to the uses I've outlined above, you're absolutely correct. The App Store is a rich treasure trove of software at better prices than ever. Including aggregate and integrate software for your lap or desktop from the same developer at significantly reduced prices BECAUSE of this mobile transition.

Change is happening --- and even our Mac Pro and iMacs are equipped with Apple's trackpad. (I've got mice too, but seriously prefer the pad). Have you seen the prices of removable external storage? Even SS cards, thumb drives and SD, micro SD, CF and proprietary storage from vendors like Sony are dropping for the 'masses'. I used to have a ½ dozen USB sticks - today I've got one and it's home most of the time

Like I said --- my flight bag has gone from 50 pounds to one. My doc checks me in and sees my records on a tablet these days. Not a massive file folder filled with papers. Newspapers are going away. So is 'dialing' a number and writing letter and connecting a bunch of shtuff to your lap or desktop. IF it's so necessary it's with you, I'm not aware of many occupations that can't keep their data on a 128 GB foundation.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. For education and beyond I think it's a genuine killer product. But what do I know. I also fall sucker each year for the new iPad with its updates and speed increases as well as connectivity ...whether cellular or Wifi, and being in Alaska ...I've a hard time believing there are a whole helluva lot more locations on our planet you can work with 'less' connectivity and yet, I do just fine ;)

Not trying to pick on you speedracer, but what you're looking for is indeed available... But it's NOT the Surface Pro. Which is indeed X86 and TDP constrained ...twice as heavy and not nearly as fortified with software TODAY, not talking heritage software all X86 machines can run. The App Store has what you need, and if it doesn't I'd like to know what you're doing that an iPad wouldn't be more convenient than a machine that runs slower, runs legacy software that's parodied in the App Store and lasts half as long, weighs twice as much and doesn't do anything 'Great'. Just about everything it'll run ...sure, but well? No.
Whereas the iPad and iOS you're aware of the constraints or what I've found to be the release of --- and its ability to integrate and aggregate both vertically and horizontally within your worlflow. iPad and iPhone and iMac and rMBP and Handoff/Continuity and ....

Are you just being Grumpy? ;)

J

Stevep67

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
Very excited about this & will likely buy one. I use my iPad Air and Procreate to sketch for work and play. The Pencil looks very good, but whose idea was the male charge connector? Wanna see how it handles palm rejection.

Last edited:

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

To me, Pro means OSX.

No. Few would care. Much like the few that care about a 17" MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Sech

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Does anyone have an idea/feeling on what non-optimized apps will look like on the larger screen? This is the biggest jump in screen size that iOS has had since the original iPad.

This is one of the first questions I had. Anyone know the answer? For example, what do devs have to do to make their apps Pro-friendly? If it's a significant amount of legwork, then I suspect that most will wait to see how the installed base of Pro devices grows.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast

And, my personal favorite, watching Netflix :) I grew up on grainy black and white TV's with antenna's that barely worked. A full color, perfect reception, clearer than real life screen with NO wires and can watch ANYTHING that was ever recorded? Um, yeah, I'll take that.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
And it is funny to see how all these people that said the Surface was something ridiculous are embracing the iPad Pro as it was a wonder of nature.

This isn't the same thing as the Surface Pro. Surface Pro runs a laptop x86 CPU, which means higher heat, much more power draw & less battery, and also more thickness to cool that. iPad Pro runs a A series CPU, which is optimized for mobile and gets great battery life, and iOS is also well optimized for battery life compared to full on Windows 8/10.

The two devices are similar in thought, but really reflect the different philosophy of Apple & MS when it comes down to actual experience on a mobile tablet device.

Reactions: Sech

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

Apple used to keep its screen size to minimum (1..or maybe 2 at most) to make it for developers to create app. But now they have various screen sizes for various product (2 sizes for iphone and 2 for iPad) . How is this different with Android.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Apple used to keep its screen size to minimum (1..or maybe 2 at most) to make it for developers to create app. But now they have various screen sizes for various product (2 sizes for iphone and 2 for iPad) . How is this different with Android.
It seems pretty obvious to me: the average iPad app will simply scale to the screen (and get squeezed in split-screen mode) — but there will be, yay a line of Pro! Apps that are designed to take advantage of the larger screen.

In XCode, there is a tool called Interface Builder in which the programmer designs UI content. On the Mac, many objects have size parameters that specify whether they will stretch, which way and which sides of the window they cling to: for Pro! style iPad apps, these parameters will control how they will expand to take advantage of the larger iPad Pro display.

Dante Rising

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
Everyone is focused on the professional market for the ipad pro, but most of the people I know are buying it to read comics and PDF magazines. The extra real estate makes a huge difference. The same is hopefully true of games. But the unusual resolution has me worried about standard ipad games translating well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.