Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
iPad Pro Deal Breakers

Missing 3D Force Touch
Missing Taptic Feedback
Missing USB Type C (so no fast charging and other missing benefits of Type C)
Missing Optical Image Stabilization
Missing Gorilla Glass 4

if theres one rule to live by its never buy 1st Gen Apple hardware period. Next years model A10X CPU will address any problems that come up 1st Gen Tech is basically a Public Beta.

i personally feel it's a most subjective issue. for me as an industrial artist, your 5 points are irrelevant. dont interest me.

i also feel the issue of 'never buy 1st gen' isnt as prevalent these days as it was. the Pro is building on long established tried and tested products like the macbooks and existing ipads. yes, later releases are always going to improve, thats a given, but the jump between say ipad 1 and 2 isnt the case here i think.

the Pro will be a polished item. even though it will be improved upon. i cant see the same teething issues and 1st gen issues like when the first iphone/pod/touch/pads were released. it's a first yes, but it's almost like releasing a laptop with no keyboard. the technology is there.

if you always worried about waiting for the 'next' release you'd never purchase anything. i still use my ipad2 on a daily bases for my business and friggin LOVE it!

just my thoughts :)

Reactions: neutrino23

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
iPad Pro Deal Breakers

Missing 3D Force Touch
Missing Taptic Feedback
Missing USB Type C (so no fast charging and other missing benefits of Type C)
Missing Optical Image Stabilization
Missing Gorilla Glass 4

if theres one rule to live by its never buy 1st Gen Apple hardware period. Next years model A10X CPU will address any problems that come up 1st Gen Tech is basically a Public Beta.

I sort of agree with this. First gen of Apple product don't usually end up well. Wait a couple of generation until they are matured enough. It applies to iPhone too. Buy the 'S' series instead :).

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Everyone is focused on the professional market for the ipad pro, but most of the people I know are buying it to read comics and PDF magazines. The extra real estate makes a huge difference. The same is hopefully true of games. But the unusual resolution has me worried about standard ipad games translating well.

I'd say that's a big waste of iPad Pro to use it only for everyday's light task such as browsing or reading or light games. iPad or iPad Mini does those tasks much better. I am not very excited with iPad Pro despite its awesome features but I believe there are markets of professionals who really see this device as a great tool.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I'd say that's a big waste of iPad Pro to use it only for everyday's light task such as browsing or reading or light games. iPad or iPad Mini does those tasks much better. I am not very excited with iPad Pro despite its awesome features but I believe there are markets of professionals who really see this device as a great tool.
Well I'm not a Pro and I'm definitely getting one. Don't need the pen or the keyboard but I think games, web sites, PDF's etc. would be a delight on this screen. Plus I'm gonna love having 4GB ram and split screen is the BOMB!

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about or did you just pull that out of thin air?

Jesus Christ. The iPad pro is dozens or hundreds of times faster at many applications than the surface, and several times more efficient.

Also not everyone cares about price. I could not possibly give less of a damn about whether this costs $200 or $5,000. It literally doesn't matter. At the end of the day this little tablet is the only peice of technology on the face of the earth that will let me remotely edit Lightoom photos in the cloud on location for 6 hours no problem with no slow downs. A surface can't even claim do 1/4 of that due to poor efficiency, and the experience is laughable.

You clearly don't understand how things work in the real world and the word practicality clearly scares you. Not everything breaks down to specs and price.

Yea OK Tim - we hear ya! :rolleyes:

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
Am I only the only one that thinks the iPad Pros screen will look pixelated compared to the Air's?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Am I only the only one that thinks the iPad Pros screen will look pixelated compared to the Air's?

It has the same pixel density as the Air: 264 ppi. And I'm not sure you want to hold that screen closer to your face than you do the Air. It should look the same, I'd expect.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone know how standard iPad apps are going to scale up on the iPP? Will iOS 9.1 scale/re-render the apps full screen, basically emulating the 9.7" iPad's resolution?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I definitely want the Pro. It's just so expensive. I still prefer the MBA over an iPad (I think), because with a traditional laptop, it doesn't require holding when typing in bed. Even with the collapsible cover, I'm not sure how comfortable it is to type on that optional (cover) keypad laying sideways.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Maybe its the Apple Marketing but Im really excited for the iPad Pro. I see tons of potential especially wit the pencil and large screen real estate. Just wish we didn't have wait over 60 days.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Anyone know how standard iPad apps are going to scale up on the iPP? Will iOS 9.1 scale/re-render the apps full screen, basically emulating the 9.7" iPad's resolution?
If the homescreen is any indication then yes, it will simply look like a magnified version of the 9.7" iPad.

rokey

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
NC
iPad Pro is a huge opportunity, one that will change the way that many people use "computers." Thousands of people already LOVE the idea of this product and will buy it simply to replace an aging computer, or their current tablet because the enlarged screen size alone is a hit. Tens of thousands more will buy it once they become more aware, get their hands on it for the first time, or see someone else with it.

The fact that it does not get MS Office's (and other various professional applications) full potential is not even consideration to a large portion of these people (myself included). Not all of the people that the iPad Pro appeals to are "pro users," some of us just don't need "desktop class applications," but do want full-size Email, Web Browsing, Shopping, Social Apps, Photo Browsing/Tweaking, Multimedia Consumption, Budgeting, Notes, Calendars, Recipe Management, Messages, Letter Writing and Printing via WiFi, Maps, Games, etc. (I probably do 3 times more with "mobile apps" than 99% of the people I interact with do with their mobile apps and desktop apps combined.)

Technically, the iPad Pro (even with 128 GB of storage) costs less than all of Apple's 12 inch+ portable Macs. Which will only help students convince their parents that an iPad Pro is the right choice. Parents will actually be more open to choosing an iPad Pro because it has the same or at least a comparable screen size to the average portable computer; it can write papers, research, print, etc. Plus multitasking is a breeze for productivity, and it is made by Apple. There won't be much this cannot do for most college students, and in many aspects, it'll be better for a lot of college students than a traditional portable computer. Harder to damage; quicker, easier, and less expensive to repair; plus with APP+, repairs will be much more affordable when and if needed.

Young adults purchasing their first computer with their own money, who have never really used computers other than in "keyboarding" class in high school have no desire for full computers (I know a few dozen of these people).

Older generations who never used a computer before, but have already been taught to use an iPhone or iPad will jump to the iPad Pro simply because it is familiar and bigger. Especially if they have less than perfect eye-sight.

In the long run, the iPad Pro is only $250 more than an iPad Air 2 with equal storage and connectivity features. Anyone complaining about the cost of this device should really consider the additions that this device has over the iPad Air 2. 78% more display real estate than the iPad Air 2, while maintaining the same PPI and battery runtime, greatly improved speakers, CPU, and GPU. Don't forget that iPad Pro can be used with Apple designed and manufactured accessories including a keyboard-case, and professional-grade stylus with multi-level pressure sensitivity and angular awareness. Two accessories not available at this time to Apple's other iPads, and both accessories that can help push this device into a category of its own in some cases.

Loompy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Im rather excited for iPad Pro. Im glad Apple announced their own version of a stylus and keyboard cover. Im wanting to get back into art and that larger screen and Pencil will be perfect. I cant stand looking at where my hand isnt for drawing- on a wacom connected to a computer, for example.

My only gripe so far is that there is no 256GB version, but I can see myself easily making do with 128GB of storage. Yes lack of USB sucks, but there are ways around that too.

Reactions: gteska

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
If the homescreen is any indication then yes, it will simply look like a magnified version of the 9.7" iPad.

Not really sure what the home screen has to do with apps that don't support the new screen size properly.

It will very likely be similar to the iPhone 6: apps that support auto-layout correctly will just display correctly at the new size: more room for content, but the content isn't any bigger. If the app doesn't support things correctly, it will get scaled, meaning everything gets bigger and blurrier within the app, including the keyboard.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
i personally feel it's a most subjective issue. for me as an industrial artist, your 5 points are irrelevant. dont interest me.

i also feel the issue of 'never buy 1st gen' isnt as prevalent these days as it was. the Pro is building on long established tried and tested products like the macbooks and existing ipads. yes, later releases are always going to improve, thats a given, but the jump between say ipad 1 and 2 isnt the case here i think.

the Pro will be a polished item. even though it will be improved upon. i cant see the same teething issues and 1st gen issues like when the first iphone/pod/touch/pads were released. it's a first yes, but it's almost like releasing a laptop with no keyboard. the technology is there.

if you always worried about waiting for the 'next' release you'd never purchase anything. i still use my ipad2 on a daily bases for my business and friggin LOVE it!

just my thoughts :)

I also think wit 4GB of RAM and the speedy processor, this will still be an attractive item for resale if you do want to upgrade in generation 2 or 3. Unlike the iPad 1, which was way underpowered from the start.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Its sort of disappointing that they went with the niche professional market instead of potentially making this the new laptop of the masses for college students.

iPad Pro 32GB - $800
Smart Keyboard - $170
Apple Pencil - $100
= $1070

The problem is that its still just an iPad, unlike a Mac or Surface.

- Needs USB 3 ports (students use flash drives all the time)

- Price for the device itself is ok, but seriously lower the accessories or make a bundle for them

Of course, Apple doesn't have to do this, but if they did, would have been really cool and shake up what students use in college.

rokey

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
NC
Its sort of disappointing that they went with the niche professional market instead of potentially making this the new laptop of the masses for college students.

iPad Pro 32GB - $800
Smart Keyboard - $170
Apple Pencil - $100
= $1070

The problem is that its still just an iPad, unlike a Mac or Surface.

- Needs USB 3 ports (students use flash drives all the time)

- Price for the device itself is ok, but seriously lower the accessories or make a bundle for them

Of course, Apple doesn't have to do this, but if they did, would have been really cool and shake up what students use in college.

If this had been given OS X, USB 3, Keyboard, Pencil, and (just for fun) a 15 hour battery all for $1070... MacBook Air 11&13, MacBook 12, and MacBook Pro 13 would be 80% (or more) cannibalized.

I'll agree that it would have been cool, and it still will be someday when it happens...

And you're totally right, students use the heck out of USB Flash Drives, but why? To move data from one computer to another computer... something that is done so frequently and simply with DropBox, iCloud, AirDrop, Email, etc. I can AirDrop a file from my iPhone to a friends Mac or iPad in seconds without digging for a flash drive.

There isn't a lot of shaking up to do, Apple already has a huge footprint in college, and not all of it is Mac. I have several college age friends that couldn't make it through college without their iPad. Think of people like my younger brother who is 20 and hates technology; he doesn't want to have to manage flash drives and fancy software with a dozen menus. He just wants a single device that he can poke. LOL.

Reactions: Sech

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
If this had been given OS X, USB 3, Keyboard, Pencil, and (just for fun) a 15 hour battery all for $1070... MacBook Air 11&13, MacBook 12, and MacBook Pro 13 would be 80% (or more) cannibalized.

Here's the thing. If you are a company, cannibalization is better than a lost sale. Folks looking for a Surface-style hybrid mean a lost iPad or MacBook sale. iPhones cannibalizing the iPod are even better for Apple than protecting the iPod as a product.

Apple should see that if they actually are banking on iPads being the sedan of future computer use, then cannibalization is expected and inevitable. But their approach seems to be to make iOS more flexible, rather than modifying OS X to be touch friendly. Still a work in progress it seems, like Windows' convergence projects.

Reactions: sracer

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
And you're totally right, students use the heck out of USB Flash Drives, but why? To move data from one computer to another computer... something that is done so frequently and simply with DropBox, iCloud, AirDrop, Email, etc. I can AirDrop a file from my iPhone to a friends Mac or iPad in seconds without digging for a flash drive.

...ok for small files only

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.