Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you so much for this! had never ever heard of it, but it looks fantastic. Cannot wait to try it, especially with Apple Pencil! :D
Yeah, I defiantly "want" it too but Im going to have to try it out and see as a designer, can I use it properly and justify the $1200ish cost of it.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Anyone have any idea how fast the storage is on the new iPad Pro? Is there NAND that is as fast as the SSDs in laptops that can be put into an iPad Pro? If Apple is claiming that we can edit 3x 4k streams concurrently, I figure the storage NAND should be decently fast. I would like to be able to import video and photos quickly into the iPad Pro but as I sit here waiting for my iPhone 6S Plus to restore, I'm a tad disappointed that the storage is still dead slow in the phones.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm getting one to replace the iPad 3 that sits on my desk. My 7 year old and I share that iPad. I use it to stream sports and movies, as a second display for my MacBook, and for some productivity apps. My son uses it for drawing and games. The iPad Pro will be a perfect replacement for that.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
This looks promising for the iPad PRO being a quite powerful device :D
If the iPhone beats the Macbook then the iPad PRO will be fast enough for most things.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2015-09-26 kl. 11.22.38.png
    Skärmavbild 2015-09-26 kl. 11.22.38.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 204

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
As someone who has an iPad Air 2 and a Macbook Air 2013, I am considering purchasing a Mac Mini as my base computer that I can store all of my files (I'll get the 1TB version) and I can use my TV as a monitor with a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and sell my iPad Air 2 and Macbook Air and get the iPad Pro. That smartcase will essentially turn an iPad Pro into what my Macbook Air does and what I use it for (college student)

What do y'all think? Good combination? The Macbook Air I have doesn't have close to enough storage space and I hardly ever use it. With a Mac Mini I can get a TB of storage and use it at home.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
As someone who has an iPad Air 2 and a Macbook Air 2013, I am considering purchasing a Mac Mini as my base computer that I can store all of my files (I'll get the 1TB version) and I can use my TV as a monitor with a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and sell my iPad Air 2 and Macbook Air and get the iPad Pro. That smartcase will essentially turn an iPad Pro into what my Macbook Air does and what I use it for (college student)

What do y'all think? Good combination? The Macbook Air I have doesn't have close to enough storage space and I hardly ever use it. With a Mac Mini I can get a TB of storage and use it at home.
I'm going to do essentially the same thing. Buying an iPad Pro to replace my 2011 11" MBA.

I have a 2013 3.5GHz quad-core i7 27" iMac with 6TB of Thunderbolt storage at home and a 3.0GHz dual-core i7 mini with two 24" monitors at work to handle anything the iPad can't.

Reactions: Sharkey311

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I'm going to do essentially the same thing. Buying an iPad Pro to replace my 2011 11" MBA.

I have a 2013 3.5GHz quad-core i7 27" iMac with 6TB of Thunderbolt storage at home and a 3.0GHz dual-core i7 mini with two 24" monitors at work to handle anything the iPad can't.
Yeah and I just love the fact the Mac Mini is just a computer with no monitor. I have a really sh*tty back and can't sit in a chair for more than an hour without wanting to die. Being able to use my TV as a monitor will be perfect because I have my comfortable lazyboy 4 feet away from it.

Undo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Florida

I had essentially the same iMac (which MacRumors folks helped me to decide on). I :apple: Recycled it last year when I moved into a smaller place where I don't have a desk for it anymore.

Now I just have my 2011 MBA. I'd also like to replace it with the iPad Pro, and also get a Mac Mini so I can play Civilization V again! (And other stuff that the iPad can't handle.) I haven't been able to play it since I sold my iMac.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I had essentially the same iMac (which MacRumors folks helped me to decide on). I :apple: Recycled it last year when I moved into a smaller place where I don't have a desk for it anymore.

Now I just have my 2011 MBA. I'd also like to replace it with the iPad Pro, and also get a Mac Mini so I can play Civilization V again! (And other stuff that the iPad can't handle.) I haven't been able to play it since I sold my iMac.
My mini can pretty much do anything I need (I'm not a game player) with the exception of my bluray Handbrake encoding. The 3.5GHz quad core takes around 1.5-2.0 hrs to do a 1080p movie. It would be 4+ hours on the mini.

Undo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
My mini can pretty much do anything I need (I'm not a game player) with the exception of my bluray Handbrake encoding. The 3.5GHz quad core takes around 1.5-2.0 hrs to do a 1080p movie. It would be 4+ hours on the mini.
If I had known last year that I would be working for a small business where I'm the only creative, I would have kept my iMac and taken it to work. As it is, I'm stuck at work with one of their standard i3 PC's :eek:! To prove my case that I need a better workstation, I attempted to render a 6 minute marketing video at 1080p, with the PC's 8GB of RAM (which they allowed me to upgrade from 4GB). It ran out of memory during the middle of the night! I had to downsize to 720p and lower framerate. Hopefully I can talk them into getting a Mac Mini at least. A quad iMac would be ideal though.

Yeah and I just love the fact the Mac Mini is just a computer with no monitor. I have a really sh*tty back and can't sit in a chair for more than an hour without wanting to die.
I'm in the same boat as you, and so I feel your pain! I'm glad my job allowed me to install a standing workstation where I can stand for most of the day, and sit periodically whenever my feet get tired. It helps that I sit on a wooden stool, so it forces me stand up again before my back gets sore, because my butt gets sore first. But I digress.

I mentioned this in other threads so I hope no one thinks this is a crazed obsession, but I hope to use the iPad Pro as the display for a Mac Mini. But I want to wait and see what new tech might make that a sweeter setup. Have you considered it but chose to go with the TV setup instead?

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I am considering purchasing a Mac Mini as my base computer that I can store all of my files (I'll get the 1TB version) and I can use my TV as a monitor with a bluetooth mouse/keyboard
What do y'all think? Good combination?

Excellent setup. It's what I have. I love it. I still get OS X for the occasional times I need it but my iPad is my go to device for everyday use.

I just love the fact the Mac Mini is just a computer with no monitor.
Same here! As much as I'd love to have an iMac the screen would be wasted on me. During a typical week I actually get on my mini maybe 1-2 hours. The rest of the time it sits there serving videos to my Apple TV, downloading, or handbreaking with the tv off or switched to a different video input.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Artists especially should eat these up, I could see these being standard gear at art schools everywhere in the world. There is nothing else like it, not Surface and not Wacom Cintiq.

What do we really know about pencil? Not much. With regard to its latency and pressure sensitivity we are left with the impressions of the pen illiterate tech press. Maybe its awesome, maybe its just very good. There are any number of you tube videos of artists getting great functionality from ntrig and wacom tech. I am hoping apple has raised the bar--we'll see!

Reactions: sracer

Penguin6

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Columbus, OH

I have the same set up righ now w/ my iPad Air2. I use Screens to VNC into the mini when I need it. Works really well for me.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
How is everyone saving up for the pre-order?

My gameplan is to start selling some of my tech I don't use that much anymore. I can also see my brand new Air 2 being sold in time for the Pro but it will seem the market is going to get saturated pretty quickly of used iPads in preparation for the launch.

Someone has to go in my signature line!

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I've been leaning back and forth towards really wanting one or not getting it.

I decided last night to just get an Air 2 with cellular and pick up a keyboard case. I love the idea of the Pro but it'll be about $1400 just to get started (including the Apple keyboard case) and I tend to like to refresh my iOS devices yearly. I already complain that the Air 2 is too big so I don't know why I am thinking the Pro will be "better".

We will see what happens come November but for now I think I'm going to stick to the Air 2 as my main machine.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder when in November it's going to be released? i wonder if Apple is just testing the waters to see how people react but also if they have problems with production. I'm looking to get one during my week off from work which is around the 20th of November.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Massive at 12.9", heavier and thicker than the previous Air, with a stylus.

Good idea? Bad idea? Will you be buying?

Is it really a "desktop computer" replacement?
Skip the price. Price is a secondary, if you are going "Pro" and you really NEED one, or something like it. Price will deter some/most of the market, but they aren't considered "Pro" users.

So here are the points of interest: design and function. Here are my opinions based on a person that plays piano, makes music, writes papers, writes books, draws, publishes a comic, and does spread sheets every so often. I also use email and brown the internet, and I also use lots of kitschy little apps for various calculations and tutorials, etc.

Design :
12.9" -- GREAT. The iPad Air is too small for certain functions. I own an Air and I hate using it to read documents longer than a couple pages. It is a tad small for sheet music when playing piano. I suspect the 12.9" size gets an approximate 8x11 page view--perfect.
1.5 lbs.-- FINE. I wouldn't find that size unwieldy, since this will not be utilized in the same way an iPhone would be used. Over 2 lbs. would start to wear on me when I wanted to use it as a book.
SCREEN/SPEAKERS/ETC. -- I would expect these to be fairly good to excellent, knowing Apple's current devices.

Function :
ART -- GREAT. The pencil and screen make it a low-priced and portable alternative to a Wacom. This is a very strong selling point. I have no doubt that Apple put superior effort into the Pencil and screen sensitivity. Problem: I don't think there is any current software for making art that I would prefer to use. Adobe is bonkers since they went with subscriptions, and Manga Studio doesn't have an iPad version. I will have to adjust to an alternative.
WRITING -- EXCELLENT. Pages is all I would need, but unfortunately I would have to off load documents to work inside of Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat. I could make on the iPad Pro, but to package the work and publish I still need a Mac.
EMAIL and WEB -- EXCELLENT. Bigger screen means it will be like a reduced desktop, and due to the screen coming closer, the size of the screen won't be that different from a desktop.
SPREADSHEETS -- GOOD. These need screen space for complex or lengthy sheets. The larger size will help. Numbers is a good program for accounting.
MUSIC -- MEDIOCRE. While the size is best for using as a book of sheet music, composing music is hindered due to software. Garage Band can start a piece and be useful on the go, but Logic isn't available. Storage is lacking for Maschine and other Native Instruments software, and there aren't iPad versions of their programs. You can begin a composition on the iPad Pro, but you need to off load and work them up on a Mac/PC. If I wanted it as a base computer to perform EDM using Maschine, this wouldn't cut it due to a lack of software. The mobility is great, the CPU is probably adequate, the software isn't there.

CONCLUSION ....

The iPad Pro is a step in the right direction, but it is lacking in many aspects. All those items are determined by software. If there were iPad versions of certain software I frequently use, this would be a MUST purchase.

The other problem is that it doesn't appear to expand outward, using external drives or devices, the way a desktop does.

If software makers jump to iPad in the next years, perfect! Apple should really engineer the iPad Pro to flower into a desktop you can unplug. Certain programs could access large data caches on an external drive. A 512GB internal drive would be a beneficial option as well.

I believe Apple could use this step to foster a transfer of concentration into making iOS the future notebook/desktop product for most all consumers. The MacBooks could vanish, leaving the Macbook Pro for OS X users and high-end professionals. Apple makes blazing chips on their own; they are always restrained by Intel. The iPadPro has more graphic/CPU power than a 2006 MacPro. In a few years they will have an iPad with the power of modern desktop with adequate CPU benchmarks. We will see if they direct themselves that way. It might happen by 2020.

I will buy an iPad Pro, but I will still be using my desktop daily, despite wishing an iPad that would replace or surpass the desktop.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Great post Lesser Evets.

I agree, the 'current' lack of pro level software is concerning but once developed they will change how we view why this device was conceived in the first place, what it's capabilities are and what it's place within the Apple ecosystem actually is.

The device isn't even on the market yet, it's in it's infancy. The 'why is it here' and 'how will it be used' is still based mainly on past iPad usage. The role of this new device seems to be intended to be very different.

I fully expect the iPP to blossom, over time.

Last edited:

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
i wouldnt worry in the slightest about lack of 'pro software' .

Devs will very quickly flood the app store with it. new Pro owners wont have a long time to wait if any.

also, people's concerns about is it a Pro user's tool? well thats purely subjective of course. It certainly will be for me, and will help my firm profit greatly in both efficiency and creativity, ultimately leading to fee earning.
it's 'Pro' credentials will be judged by the professions that choose to use it or not. Some will greatly benefit, others will not.
it will be of course a successful product, every bit as Apple's other devices, if not more. Will it fulfill apple's ideals and ideas for it? time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Codeseven

markovchain

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2015
ipad Pro is a no go for me until a decent text editor like Emacs or vim is available. Reading Pdf and web browsing alone is not justified for a $1200 device.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Lesser Evets is spot on.

The iPad Pro is a step in the right direction, but it is lacking in many aspects. All those items are determined by software. If there were iPad versions of certain software I frequently use, this would be a MUST purchase.

Exactly. I am tempted, but I simply don't think the app market is there now (at least for my needs) to make the IPP a must buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.