Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
A thread to discuss all things iPhone between Android users and others. Since we’re in the Android section of an Apple forum, we should be more inclined to appreciate the benefits of both Android and Apple without attacking either platform or users. Let’s keep the discussion intelligent and positive.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Think this has been trialled before and mods just close it, as they promote iPhone discussion in the iPhone section.
Also, good luck asking for a thread to be positive where the iPhone is concerned... ?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Fingers crossed they don't, as I happily swap between Android and ios regularly and see pros and cons of platforms. But I'm pretty sure either I, or another member tried this a few years back and it got shut.
I changed the title, so hopefully that helps. I rarely go into any other forum sections on this website, and I’d prefer to discuss the iPhone with non-iPhone zealots. The iPhone is like a religion to people in the iPhone section, and there’s really no reasonable discussion to be had there about the iPhone.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I changed the title, so hopefully that helps. I rarely go into any other forum sections on this website, and I’d prefer to discuss the iPhone with non-iPhone zealots. The iPhone is like a religion to people in the iPhone section, and there’s really no reasonable discussion to be had there about the iPhone.

Same can be said for certain members of this section though and the Samsung shrine squad.
Although mostly its very civil.

On topic then, I love the design of the 12 but this is the first iPhone launch I am sitting out as I really don't feel there is any reason to buy one over an 11.
Overall it is a very disappointing upgrade. I also watched a product red iPhone 12 unboxing and man, that thing is coral! Not sure what happened there...!

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Same can be said for certain members of this section though and the Samsung shrine squad.
Although mostly its very civil.

On topic then, I love the design of the 12 but this is the first iPhone launch I am sitting out as I really don't feel there is any reason to buy one over an 11.
Overall it is a very disappointing upgrade. I also watched a product red iPhone 12 unboxing and man, that thing is coral! Not sure what happened there...!
This was definitely an odd release. I honestly do think phone companies need to start releasing phones every two years instead of one. There’s not enough innovation to justify a yearly release (and more environmental waste as a result). This release seems more like a cash grab for Apple than anything else; more so than usual.

It is coral... what happened indeed.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Think this has been trialled before and mods just close it, as they promote iPhone discussion in the iPhone section.
Also, good luck asking for a thread to be positive where the iPhone is concerned... ?

I think it makes total sense for Android users to have one thread where they can safely discuss all things iPhone from their unique perspective. Dumping them in the already insanely busy main iPhone forum is a recipe for trolling and disaster. But I don't make the rules, I just try to abide by them. ;)

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
I think it makes total sense for Android users to have one thread where they can safely discuss all things iPhone from their unique perspective. Dumping them in the already insanely busy main iPhone forum is a recipe for trolling and disaster. But I don't make the rules, I just try to abide by them. ;)
I’m an iPhone user and I find the iPhone section to be too aggressive. They’re obsessed with the iPhone, and you cannot have a normal conversation with them about the iPhone and Apple. That’s why I hang out in the Android section—it’s a safe space for me, TBH.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Personally I think the new iphones looks great. Yes the notch is dated but it honestly doesn't bother me. Neither does ios. Yes it has its limitations but it also does some things very well and the app quality is just better.

I'm considering giving it a try if I don't like the size of the Pixel 5.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Personally I think the new iphones looks great. Yes the notch is dated but it honestly doesn't bother me. Neither does ios. Yes it has its limitations but it also does some things very well and the app quality is just better.

I'm considering giving it a try if I don't like the size of the Pixel 5.
iOS app quality is so much better and I don’t know why so many Android users deny this. And iOS developers seem to actually care about the Apple platform. After iOS 14 was released, so many of my apps were updated the *next* day with new widgets. You just don’t see that on Android. Hell, Google owns Android, and Pixel 4 users were waiting for months for their apps to be updated to use the 4’s Face ID. They were also waiting for several months for their Google apps to get dark mode... 🤦‍♀️. It’s things like this that make me hesitate to get an Android.

Last edited:

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
The iPhone is just a well put together device. Build quality is always awesome, iOS is slick and responsive, app quality is better. But the prices...

I don't want the world but $699 is just too much for a 5.4-inch phone with a massive notch. The Pixel 4a gives you an OLED screen and most of what is needed for half that. I wish Apple would release an iPhone 5c-style device at a lower price point. I can live with a plastic body and no wireless charging or IP68 if it means a reasonable size OLED and decent single camera.

I'm currently juggling a Samsung A71 and iPhone SE 2020. The A71 is excellent value but too big; the SE ticks so many boxes but a tiny screen and notches the size of Texas are really grating. There's just no perfect mid-tier device. I'd love something like a Pixel 4a running iOS.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
There's nothing wrong with wishing an upcoming device had a certain feature already available on the opposite side. But if you mention a Samsung feature in an iPhone thread, you pretty much get told to bugger off and buy a Samsung.....

Or that the Samsung feature isn't needed, because iOS already does something magical and even better.

Dreads

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2015
I’m still using my old ip8+ for me Touch ID is my thing I’m toying with buying an android phone as I’m led to believe that some of them still use Touch ID not sure what makes as yet Iv gotta an ip xs max that I bought on release day used it for a couple weeks and placed it back in its box and it lives in cupboard practically brand new the notch isn’t an issue it’s the face unlock..! Plz don’t shoot me I just don’t like it lol

Reactions: jamezr

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I've never owned an iPhone and the main reason is my main apps are all Google apps. No reason for me to buy an iPhone just to recreate what I get from Android. I also much prefer Google Assistant over Siri. I think it's a much better product but that's because Google's bread and butter is its search engine.

So it boils down to Apple hardware vs Google's software and while I have stupid money I have a limit on what i'm willing to spend on a phone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As now a user of both I love my my fold 2 and alot of areas it's better than ios but then again it's the same with ios

For me app quality is better on ios and apps are optimised better across the platform. Then again android is better for real multitasking which is enjoyable certainly on a bigger display

Pop up window is simply awesome and widgets will give me the information I need better but will see how widgets develop on ios

Apple watch is also miles ahead of my galaxy watch and has played a big factor in me getting the series 6 and 12 pro max when it's available along with overall ecosystem

I have the tab s7 plus it's an amazing display and a true boss for viewing content but still ipad is still untouchable when it comes to the best tablets

I love Samsung phones as it has all the features first which are great to have and use.

It's frustrating iphones don't but the user experience works so well generally people don't mind waiting. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I like the fact people have choice. There's no correct or wrong product it's down to user preference

Last edited:

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
I love the blue iPhone colors this year. I was 75% ready to switch from my blue S10+ to a blue iPhone 12 Pro Max based on the rumors early Summer but then my cousin mentioned she bought the Note 20. I looked at the Note 20 Ultra, loved the white color, huge screen, trade in value, and pre order gifts and Samsung got me again haha.

I was mostly going towards iPhone for the video camera, app quality like Instagram, photo apps and was curious about iMessage. No regrets about the Note 20 Ultra. I love the camera and its 5x optical zoom, I enjoy the S-pen and the Android customization. I have a 10.5 iPad Pro so I still get the app quality there and may upgrade that to the new Pro models next year instead although the new iPad Airs are tempting me (sky blue).

If Apple offered Android trade-ins and bundled in AirPods like Samsung bundles their wireless earbuds then I probably would have waited for the iPhone 12 Pro Max. The blue Apple Watch would have matched the blue iPhone.

Reactions: Reggaenald and yui4

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Long time Android user that just got an iPhone (7+) early this year.

There are several things where I appreciate Apple/iPhone.
One is Apple's focus in privacy and security. People can dismiss this as much as they want, but at least Apple seems to be trying. At least it eases my mind in putting critical information and apps on my phone. This is in contrast with Android where Google don't even put much care into the whole platform not being securely patched in a timely manner. It reminds me the controversy when Microsoft decided to put anti-virus (Windows Defender) on Windows. Many said that's anti-competitive. I saw that Microsoft being responsible. They know that Windows is the majority platform, and since 3rd party anti-virus companies are more interested in bloating user computers than actually protecting it, I praised Microsoft for taking up the responsibility and ensuring that the basic security of the platform is covered. I wish Google would do the same. Sure, let OEMs decide whether they want to upgrade to the next major Android version. But I wish Google would own the monthly security patches instead of letting the OEMs do it. It's already shown that some OEMs just don't care, or even faked their security update info to fool users into thinking they are already updated.

Also, the idea of having a phone that will have proper software support for years. Even if I buy an iPhone XR today, I know that it will still get at least 3 years worth of updates. In contrast, 3 years is the best even Google can offer on their own Pixel phones. Now this wasn't an issue many years ago, where each year you get significant improvements. But now, even a phone from 2 to 3 years ago are actually still good enough for most (barring the battery health). It's sad that we are dumping so many good phones just because the company stopped supporting the software. I understand that one cannot expect a company to support the phone forever, but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand at least 5 years of support, especially for $1000 flagships.

I also am liking the "cleaner" iOS, in a sense that there are no 3rd party bloatware. Everytime I reset my Android phone, I have to spend time uninstalling/disabling the included 3rd party bloatware. Android is basically like Windows in a sense. It gets annoying after a while.

I also appreciate Apple utilizing the basic components like nVME storage and IP rating on all their current lineup. The reason I got the iPhone 7+ was that it's basically the cheapest new phone available with an official IP rating ever since Samsung decided to drop IP rating on all their Galaxy A lineup, reserving it only for their flagship S and Note models.

But of course, there are a lot of annoyances of Apple.
In my country, trying to be an iPhone/Apple user is costly, absurdly so. All Apple prices in my country are at least 20-45% higher than the US SRPs. This makes the supposedly affordable iPhone SE into the high end mid-rangers segment, competing with the likes of the S20 FE. The 256GB 11 Pro Max, after discounts, is still more expensive than the 512GB Note 20 Ultra. To get an iPhone at a more reasonable price, you have to wait for their much older discontinued models. Eg. me getting the iPhone 7+ in 2020... Oh btw, that same iPhone 7+ has actually increased in price now vs when I bought it earlier this year.... It's nuts.

As for the OS, aside the out of the box experience I stated above, Android is more practical and useful for me, especially with the maturity of OEM skins like Samsung's One UI. Features like twin apps, interactive widgets, customizable home screens, etc makes my Android to be practical for my specific needs.

And then the choice. With so many Android OEMs making so many phones, there is simply a phone for your specific wants/needs. Want a cheap phone that looks modern? Easy. Want the bleeding edge foldable tech? You got it. The choice is great, and it democratizes access to technology, which crucial in these days and age.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think Im going to pick up the 12 Pro along with the Pixel 5 next month and end up keeping one. It'll be interesting to see if the lower refresh bothers me as much as I think it will.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The iPhone is just a well put together device. Build quality is always awesome, iOS is slick and responsive, app quality is better. But the prices...

I don't want the world but $699 is just too much for a 5.4-inch phone with a massive notch. The Pixel 4a gives you an OLED screen and most of what is needed for half that. I wish Apple would release an iPhone 5c-style device at a lower price point. I can live with a plastic body and no wireless charging or IP68 if it means a reasonable size OLED and decent single camera.

I'm currently juggling a Samsung A71 and iPhone SE 2020. The A71 is excellent value but too big; the SE ticks so many boxes but a tiny screen and notches the size of Texas are really grating. There's just no perfect mid-tier device. I'd love something like a Pixel 4a running iOS.
On the IP68 issue, I don’t care if my phone is water resistant or water proof or whatever else they call it. I don’t use it in the bath, pool or pouring rain. And from what I have read numerous times, even though Apple advertises some level of water resistance, the moment a customer goes to the Store and if the genius even suspects the phone has been near water, they won’t cover any required repair or replacement.

Reactions: Reggaenald

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
My thoughts on iPhone are mostly positive. Great devices with great OS and excellent apps. Apple Watch is still the best smart watch on the market, bar none.

Ultimately, I just decided I wanted more freedom to do whatever I wanted on my phone. And I want a phone that integrates well with my Windows PC. iPhone won't do that. Samsung and Microsoft have a pretty good thing going on working together. So after using Samsung note 10+ for a bit, I went all in. Went from iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch to Note 10+, Tab S5e, and Galaxy Watch seemingly overnight. This is not to say this setup is superior to an iOS setup in any way. It simply works better for me. In a perfect world, all these devices would work together seamlessly. I'd connect my Apple Watch to my Note 20 Ultra and both would work great with Windows. We ain't there yet.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
My problem with iOS using to be the slow adoption rate of hardware and software features. It’s still there but to a much lesser degree. That, paired with the ridiculous pricing, made previous iPhones a no-go for me. But in the last few years they’ve caught up in terms of things like getting rid of the huge bezels, adding OLED screens, loosening the grip on iOS restrictions. That, along with the rise in flagship android phone prices, make the iPhone a much more realistic option for me nowadays. With flagship hardware being so good all around, it really comes down to iOS vs android at this point. And frankly, I enjoy bouncing back and forth between the two.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
iOS app quality is so much better and I don’t know why so many Android users deny this. And iOS developers seem to actually care about the Apple platform. After iOS 14 was released, so many of my apps were updated the *next* day with new widgets. You just don’t see that on Android. Hell, Google owns Android, and Pixel 4 users were waiting for months for their apps to be updated to use the 4’s Face ID. They were also waiting for several months for their Google apps to get dark mode... ?‍♀️. It’s things like this that make me hesitate to get an Android.
This is just another propagated myth by Apple users to promote distinguishing factors on an almost trivial level along with the relentless claims on symmetry and border sizes we had to listen to for years

In truth for many Android users it's not denial it's just they do not care or differentiate and prefer options, functionality and choices along with the familiar as this takes far more precedence

Same too for many Samsung UI users they see far more options way ahead of stock android or Apple so again inconsequential to them

The simple fact that many like the less is more appeal of stock android phones with amazing cameras that even Apple or Samsung struggle to compete which is testament to users want alternatives

Tarnishing all Android phones with the same brush is simply contradictory to the appeal of what diversity can bring to a more open OS for those that want more freedom of choice in many aspects

This does not detract that iPhone are equally a high end product but if you want to stay within your own brief for this thread I think you need to pose your point differently. Especially given the number of recent MR front page stories of apps falling over after IOS updates etc, there are even whole threads dedicated to not upgrading or the lack there of to roll back etc

This is just throwing stones in glass houses which you said you wanted to avoid :rolleyes: and not propagate stereotypic views we have all read 100's of times before

Even though my own personal preference/bent is towards current Samsung products that does not hinder my appreciation of others. Only last weekend I recommended the CFO of a major carrier here to stick with his IPhone for personal use even though it was noted by himself to be lacking when communicating with his subordinates. Will see this weekend if he wants to loan my spare Note 20 Ultra to see if its a better fit for business use :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.