Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
This is just another propagated myth by Apple users to promote distinguishing factors on an almost trivial level along with the relentless claims on symmetry and border sizes we had to listen to for years

In truth for many Android users it's not denial it's just they do not care or differentiate and prefer options, functionality and choices along with the familiar as this takes far more precedence

Same too for many Samsung UI users they see far more options way ahead of stock android or Apple so again inconsequential to them

The simple fact that many like the less is more appeal of stock android phones with amazing cameras that even Apple or Samsung struggle to compete which is testament to users want alternatives

Tarnishing all Android phones with the same brush is simply contradictory to the appeal of what diversity can bring to a more open OS for those that want more freedom of choice in many aspects

This does not detract that iPhone are equally a high end product but if you want to stay within your own brief for this thread I think you need to pose your point differently. Especially given the number of recent MR front page stories of apps falling over after IOS updates etc, there are even whole threads dedicated to not upgrading or the lack there of to roll back etc

This is just throwing stones in glass houses which you said you wanted to avoid :rolleyes: and not propagate stereotypic views we have all read 100's of times before

Even though my own personal preference/bent is towards current Samsung products that does not hinder my appreciation of others. Only last weekend I recommended the CFO of a major carrier here to stick with his IPhone for personal use even though it was noted by himself to be lacking when communicating with his subordinates. Will see this weekend if he wants to loan my spare Note 20 Ultra to see if its a better fit for business use :)

This first sentence is confusing. Are you stating the difference in app quality is a myth?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I use both. Though my primary reason for Android has become obsolete. I got them for the headphone jack. I'm still using an LG G8. I'll get another V60 eventually (Returned it due to battery and overheating). I also hate how they've locked bootloaders. Rooting used to be so much fun.

That's why I'm still on 13.3 and jailbroken on my 11 Pro Max. It makes the little things easily customized.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
My appols :)

No the supposed denial is a myth :)

Ah, I see. Yeah frankly whenever I see anyone dispute that it's like they are showing their hand in terms of their bias. There's clearly a difference in app quality. Sometimes the gap is huge (ie Instagram) but usually its minor aesthetic differences. I prefer android but I enjoy the fact that when I use iOS I know the app will be highly optimized.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I am wondering what the point in the Pro is over the normal 12. They seem to keep closing the gap between them year on year, which is strange but also good for the average consumer.
What is frustrating though, is that they have used their Max model to put the "better" camera feature in. I say better, I can't see it making a massive difference, but if there is one thing that really winds me up its that. Samsung did it with the Note 20 this year to an even worse degree and it is just unfathomable. Making their bigger phone better. Its a total joke.

I may pick a 12 up but I just don't really like any of the colours.

Reactions: 5105973

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I am wondering what the point in the Pro is over the normal 12. They seem to keep closing the gap between them year on year, which is strange but also good for the average consumer.
What is frustrating though, is that they have used their Max model to put the "better" camera feature in. I say better, I can't see it making a massive difference, but if there is one thing that really winds me up its that. Samsung did it with the Note 20 this year to an even worse degree and it is just unfathomable. Making their bigger phone better. Its a total joke.

You could also make the opposite argument. Now that the regular and pro models of a similar storage level (256gb) are only $100 or so apart, why not go for the pro model and get better cameras, future proof with more ram, better build quality, etc.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
You could also make the opposite argument. Now that the regular and pro models of a similar storage level (256gb) are only $100 or so apart, why not go for the pro model and get better cameras, future proof with more ram, better build quality, etc.

Hmm. That sounds more like a justification in ones mind to go for a Pro than actual sound reasoning.
From what I have seen early on there isn't too much between the 12 and 12 Pro cameras.
Build quality also subjective. Those edges on the Pro are going to scratch up faster than a jet black iPhone 7 whereas aluminium shouldn't scuff up anywhere near as bad.

Don't get me wrong, between the 2 I'd prefer to have a Pro. I just don't know if the difference in price is worth it. If we were talking LCD vs OLED like last year I'd be all Pro. Even though I've Apples LCD screens.
But there's so little between them now.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iOS app quality is so much better and I don’t know why so many Android users deny this.

That's debatable depending on the type of apps you run. On iOS there are whole categories of missing apps on app store so, for example, no torrent clients, no Retroarch, no Kodi, no Termux and so on. Maybe iOS is decent for social media crapplets which I have zero care for but for more tech savvy apps it's lacking. Even for consumption apps like Reddit clients, YouTube, etc. Android has better options.

Reactions: gusmula

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Hmm. That sounds more like a justification in ones mind to go for a Pro than actual sound reasoning.
From what I have seen early on there isn't too much between the 12 and 12 Pro cameras.
Build quality also subjective. Those edges on the Pro are going to scratch up faster than a jet black iPhone 7 whereas aluminium shouldn't scuff up anywhere near as bad.

Don't get me wrong, between the 2 I'd prefer to have a Pro. I just don't know if the difference in price is worth it. If we were talking LCD vs OLED like last year I'd be all Pro. Even though I've Apples LCD screens.
But there's so little between them now.

Whole disagree. For $100 more you get a telephoto lens, 4x zoom, lidar sensor, 4k60 video, 2 more gb of RAM, better build quality, brighter screen, plus a handful of camera features like proRAW. I guess it depends on if you want better cameras and to future proof it with 6 gb of RAM. For me, all that is worth $100 more.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Whole disagree. For $100 more you get a telephoto lens, 4x zoom, lidar sensor, 4k60 video, 2 more gb of RAM, better build quality, brighter screen, plus a handful of camera features like proRAW. I guess it depends on if you want better cameras and to future proof it with 6 gb of RAM. For me, all that is worth $100 more.
Whole disagree. They are closer than ever and a lot of what's quoted doesn't translate as you'd think. Like I say, GadgetMatch video showed a direct camera comparison and there was very little between them. Which is great for consumers who don't want to fork out for "better build quality" which is another thing that's a bit of an iffy argument. Stainless steel is a stronger material, but both have the same glass and the aluminium won't scuff as much. So its all subjective.

Personally think its great that people can get a phone that is so close to a Pro for £200 less.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think it's worth it from 11 Pro max to 12 pro max for camera if that's important but for iPhone 12 to 12 Pro not worth it. £150 here from 12 to 12 pro. The wife has gone for 12 as she feels telephoto is not that important for the price jump certainly when it's same display

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Think it's worth it from 11 Pro max to 12 pro max for camera if that's important but for iPhone 12 to 12 Pro not worth it. £150 here from 12 to 12 pro. The wife has gone for 12 as she feels telephoto is not that important for the price jump certainly when it's same display
Reviews so far seem to say the cameras are improved, but not too much. Really interested to see how much of an improvement the larger sensor on the Max is.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Whole disagree. They are closer than ever and a lot of what's quoted doesn't translate as you'd think. Like I say, GadgetMatch video showed a direct camera comparison and there was very little between them. Which is great for consumers who don't want to fork out for "better build quality" which is another thing that's a bit of an iffy argument. Stainless steel is a stronger material, but both have the same glass and the aluminium won't scuff as much. So its all subjective.

Personally think its great that people can get a phone that is so close to a Pro for £200 less.

$200? Are you comparing storage sizes the same because the difference is actually $120.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not you value the things I mentioned and think they're worth the extra $120. But I agree that its a good thing they've blurred the lines a bit between the two models.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
$200? Are you comparing storage sizes the same because the difference is actually $120.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not you value the things I mentioned and think they're worth the extra $120. But I agree that its a good thing they've blurred the lines a bit between the two models.

I'm talking more about the entry level models for both the Pro and the 12. Obviously the price reduces when you compare 128gb but for me, I have 200gb of icloud storage i pay for monthly so paying for more on board storage is silly to me. Those downloading a tonne of apps or storing music, media locally etc would benefit from more storage but I imagine more people will just go entry level.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm talking more about the entry level models for both the Pro and the 12. Obviously the price reduces when you compare 128gb but for me, I have 200gb of icloud storage i pay for monthly so paying for more on board storage is silly to me. Those downloading a tonne of apps or storing music, media locally etc would benefit from more storage but I imagine more people will just go entry level.

Personally I think that 64GB in a modern day phone is a joke adn shouldnt even be offered. That said, I'm sure the 64GB model will be the one that sells the most. But since we were discussion regular vs Pro, comparing like for like storage vs cost is the most even way.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
iMessage is probably one of the biggest things that keep me with iPhone. I have owned very MANY android phones and SMS / MMS has never proven to be reliable for me. I enjoy the android OS but not as a phone.

You live in the U.S I assume?

Everywhere else in the world, people use WhatsApp, or Telegram, or Facebook Messenger to text and send pics and videos, etc... In Europe and Asia, iMessage isn't even a thing, or at least not a deciding factor on which phone to buy whatsoever.

I'm an American living here in the States my whole life, and I get by just fine with Google Messages + WhatsApp. Zero need or use for iMessage, don't even know what it offers or does so much better than the combo of Messages and WhatsApp?

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
You live in the U.S I assume?

Everywhere else in the world, people use WhatsApp, or Telegram, or Facebook Messenger to text and send pics and videos, etc... In Europe and Asia, iMessage isn't even a thing, or at least not a deciding factor on which phone to buy whatsoever.

I'm an American living here in the States my whole life, and I get by just fine with Google Messages + WhatsApp. Zero need or use for iMessage, don't even know what it offers or does so much better than the combo of Messages and WhatsApp?
iMessage has no match when the majority of your contacts use it for sharing media (photos and videos). I can receive clear and high quality photos and videos from my family instead of the grainy and low quality ones sent via MMS. I get that there are alternatives but the people I share media with don’t use any of those alternatives (some used Allo for a while to appease me but Google messed that up haha).

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
iMessage has no match when the majority of your contacts use it for sharing media (photos and videos). I can receive clear and high quality photos and videos from my family instead of the grainy and low quality ones sent via MMS. I get that there are alternatives but the people I share media with don’t use any of those alternatives (some used Allo for a while to appease me but Google messed that up haha).

Lots of my family and friends are iPhone users, I told them to download and install WhatsApp, which takes all of 30 seconds, and everyone did, and that works like a charm. Videos and high res photos, it just works great between iPhone and Android phones.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Never understood the iMesssge argument. My social circle at the moment is about a 70/30 mix in favor of iPhone. We all use Whatsapp. I also have a few acquaintances on signal. That being said, It always surprises me when I still here people say they can't get family and friends to download a messing app to stay in touch with them. Must make you feel real valued. Lol. I can't imagine anyone would want to use a proprietary messaging app in today's connected world. SMH.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I think Apple intentionally pushed the normal 12 prices to encourage people to just get the Pro. It's the similar strategy fast food chains do, "upsize" your meal for just a bit more.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Never understood the iMesssge argument. My social circle at the moment is about a 70/30 mix in favor of iPhone. We all use Whatsapp. I also have a few acquaintances on signal. That being said, It always surprises me when I still here people say they can't get family and friends to download a messing app to stay in touch with them. Must make you feel real valued. Lol. I can't imagine anyone would want to use a proprietary messaging app in today's connected world. SMH.

I never really used iMessage to its fullest when I had iPhone, I guess. I just used it the same way I now use plain SMS: to send messages. Not once have I come across a situation where someone has said "ah crap....you don't have iMessage". Just hasn't happened and I fully expected it would.

I'll probably install Whatsapp at some point on mine and my wife's phone....just in case.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Imessage is something I've missed in fairness more when it comes to multi device support and apple watch support. The wife has found it tougher messaging on WhatsApp but hardly a deal breaker. I will be happier to return to imessage for more watch support and ipad support more than anything else

Reactions: jdlindsey7

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Personally I think that 64GB in a modern day phone is a joke adn shouldnt even be offered. That said, I'm sure the 64GB model will be the one that sells the most. But since we were discussion regular vs Pro, comparing like for like storage vs cost is the most even way.
I think most would just pay the extra 50 to get 128GB I imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.