Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I’m curious why Apple reduced the battery sizes after the pretty dramatic increases in the 11 Pro models but looking at how the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max have nearly identical weights to the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, respectively, I‘d wager that was a leading factor.

No doubt battery performance will take a hit vs. last year but let‘s put it in some context. The 11 Pro models had remarkably improved battery performance over the XS models, which I found pretty good in their own right. The problem Apple will face is perspective. Battery performance may be as good or even better than models prior to the 11 Pros but everyone is and will be comparing to last years models, and they’re not going to match up.

I love great battery performance as much as anyone but my 11 Pro Max never came near not making it through an entire day—and my day is generally 6 am to midnight. It was overkill for my daily usage. If the 12 Pro Max doesn’t live up to those lofty standards but still lets me go all day without worry, that’ll be fine for me.

I was surprised at the decrease in performance, but that doesn't mean the battery life is bad. Like you said, 11 Pro models were just really good. Apple obviously had to make some compromises. I imagine that the newer tech, such as MagSafe, that they are adding into a smaller form factor made the battery a necessary downgrade. Otherwise, wouldn't you really just be getting the same 11 model plus 5G?

Reactions: Oohara and tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Theres nothing Im missing regarding the comprehension, its that theres no substance to it.

With regards to the addition of 5G and subtraction of battery size, I dont think anyone is disagreeing that those two things would result in worse battery life. I know Im certainly not saying that. But theres a difference in reduced battery life and bad battery life. For example, the iPhone 11 Pro Max imo is the battery king amount flagship phones. So if the battery life decreases by say 5-10%, does that now make it have bad battery? No, it has worse battery relative to its previous standard but its not bad. So what Im saying is that if the addition of 5G and smaller battery results in slightly worse battery life then its probably not a big deal. Especially when most people wont be using the 5G antennas very often that cause most of the battery drain the tests are showing.

Now, if it comes out that just by having the 5G bands enabled and not in use that the battery drain increase is significant, then yes, that would be a problem because the average Joe is not going to know how to go in a turn of the 5G radio.
Great...if reduced battery life is not big deal for you..then great. But battery life is a big concern for most people.
You can argue all you want and try to justify it all you need to to. But battery life is one of the biggest aspects of smartphones.

I didn't say the 12 had a bad battery....it will not get as good battery life as the 11 for simple and very obvious reasons.....smaller battery and more power hungry technology that the previous model did not have....

Done...not going to endlessly argue with you back and forth like in other threads. I know your opinion is the only thing that matters and you state it as fact.
Have a great day....

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'm sure some love it but MagSafe seems a bit unnecessary. Are people really that clumsy they're forever knocking their phone off their wireless charging pads? And why have it inside the case, it's not like cases ever fall off. Makes even less sense if battery size reduction was needed to accommodate it.

I also noticed Apple don't have leather cases this year. I always find the silicone ones much more awkward taking in & out of a pocket because of the grip they have. Always loved their leather ones.

Reactions: jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think it’s just hype as it’s an apple made charger. It’s basically like other wireless chargers.

I wirelessly charge every night so speed isn’t a factor but if you need a quick top up wired 18w or 20w will be what people will use.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm sure some love it but MagSafe seems a bit unnecessary. Are people really that clumsy they're forever knocking their phone off their wireless charging pads? And why have it inside the case, it's not like cases ever fall off. Makes even less sense if battery size reduction was needed to accommodate it.

I also noticed Apple don't have leather cases this year. I always find the silicone ones much more awkward taking in & out of a pocket because of the grip they have. Always loved their leather ones.
I bought one and got it yesterday.
But let me tell you the magnet on a charger is not very useful imho.

It makes the the charger stick to the phone every time you lift it up from the charger. Which means you have to use 2 hands. But it does seem to charge very fast on my 11 pro max and Note 20U

I can see magnetic chargers being useful in automobiles...

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Great...if reduced battery life is not big deal for you..then great. But battery life is a big concern for most people.
You can argue all you want and try to justify it all you need to to. But battery life is one of the biggest aspects of smartphones.

I didn't say the 12 had a bad battery....it will not get as good battery life as the 11 for simple and very obvious reasons.....smaller battery and more power hungry technology that the previous model did not have....

Done...not going to endlessly argue with you back and forth like in other threads. I know your opinion is the only thing that matters and you state it as fact.
Have a great day....

Haha, you crack me up. You are one of the most defensive posters here. I am agreeing with you for the most part and the stuff you dont think Im agreeing with are arguments you are making, not me. I never said battery life wasnt important.

My opinion is the only thing that matters? Lol, pot calling the kettle black. Have a good one.

Reactions: Robbosan

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’m curious why Apple reduced the battery sizes after the pretty dramatic increases in the 11 Pro models but looking at how the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max have nearly identical weights to the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, respectively, I‘d wager that was a leading factor.

No doubt battery performance will take a hit vs. last year but let‘s put it in some context. The 11 Pro models had remarkably improved battery performance over the XS models, which I found pretty good in their own right. The problem Apple will face is perspective. Battery performance may be as good or even better than models prior to the 11 Pros but everyone is and will be comparing to last years models, and they’re not going to match up.

I love great battery performance as much as anyone but my 11 Pro Max never came near not making it through an entire day—and my day is generally 6 am to midnight. It was overkill for my daily usage. If the 12 Pro Max doesn’t live up to those lofty standards but still lets me go all day without worry, that’ll be fine for me.

I agree that 11 Pro Max battery life was almost overkill, not that I was complaining. But its still an odd choice to reduce battery size and add 5G knowing both will negatively impact battery. Maybe their thinking was that even with these concessions battery life would be in-line with android competitors so it wouldnt be a big deal? But how many of their customers are coming from android vs repeat iPhone customers? Gotta be more of the latter. So maybe they're thinking is the typical person upgrading from an older iPhone wont be coming from an 11-series so it would be a battery upgrade regardless. Just trying to think through it. Who know.

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

my thoughts too.....I am sure the 12 Pro Max will get good battery life and get through the day for 99% of the people.

Personally, I charge my phones at night so as long as it gets me through my day I am ok.
Then I have wireless chargers all through my house anyway.

Reactions: Oohara and tbayrgs

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I think MagSafe is a great idea as I am someone who has been late for work twice with phones dying in the night due to me not placing them on charging pads properly. I mean, ifs my fault not the phones but my wireless charger is years old. Like 4 years old and it has always been a bit rubbish, so I don't think that helps.

But it has always put me off wireless charging and I haven't used it since. I would happily use Magsafe though as you couldn't go wrong with it.

Edit my typing is Atrocious with thus galaxy fold. I bloody hate it for typing. Have to edit e ery single xamn post.

Reactions: jamezr and tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I agree that 11 Pro Max battery life was almost overkill, not that I was complaining. But its still an odd choice to reduce battery size and add 5G knowing both will negatively impact battery. Maybe their thinking was that even with these concessions battery life would be in-line with android competitors so it wouldnt be a big deal? But how many of their customers are coming from android vs repeat iPhone customers? Gotta be more of the latter. So maybe they're thinking is the typical person upgrading from an older iPhone wont be coming from an 11-series so it would be a battery upgrade regardless. Just trying to think through it. Who know.

Same thoughts—especially if you’re coming from an iPhone X or older, I’m guessing battery performance will still feel like an improvement.

I’ll share my thoughts in a few weeks if I’m able to grab a 12 Pro Max.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

It’s only happened a couple times but I’ve had my phone bumped off the proper location on my wireless charger by one of my dogs bumping into my nightstand. I don’t like flat wireless chargers so I’m holding out for a third party upright easel style with MagSafe magnets.

I also used to use a magnetic vent mount in my car but had to stop because the necessary metal plate on the back of my phone would block wireless charging. Belkin has already announced a MagSafe version so I’m looking forward to once again having that style mount in my car.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My country uses an app to assist with contact tracing efforts. Within days of iOS 14 dropping, the app is updated with a widget to make the process more convenient. And this is shortly after the app was updated to support Siri Shortcuts in iOS 13.

On the android side, still nothing (though I imagine something could be put together using widget apps like Tasker or Nova). Still, it strikes me as funny that despite having been available for android for many months now, we have not seen the android version of said app updated to support this.

I don't think it's trivial to observe that app developers do seem to devote more care and attention towards their iOS apps than the android equivalent. This is a free app, iOS adoption is more or less on par with that of android, yet my observation is that iOS apps do seem more polished overall.

And when both iPhones and high-end android phones retail for more than $1000, it's nice to have developers actually care (more) about the user experience on my end.
This is exactly my point where all of a sudden some distinguishing aesthetic/design factor suddenly becomes a point of supposedly superiority or excellence that most do not simply care about

IOS has had widgets for like 5 seconds now, were all the previous apps that never had widgets somehow inferior to Android equivalents because they never had them LOL ........ not, IOS owners did not care generally any more or less than Android users who had them

Do android developers devote more time to the numerous extra options and functionality they can add that IOS restricts or does not have, so maybe less time to spend on aesthetics, who knows

You have completely missed the point, yet proved it LOL

It's not about are there nicer looking apps on IOS its about the interpretation and guessing what drives some app developers, then use these points under complete presumptions as an argument of being more caring with no foundation other than presuming and assuming

Personalization and customization aesthetically for many Android owners has always been a strong card and IOS owners have become accustomed/accepted their lot or just do not care or maybe even do not know it's possible on android

The fact that these personal aesthetics have always been absent on IOS may well be the reason that helps propagate these alternate counter arguments on what app developers may or may not do

I suspect outside of these forums most simply do not care to make such distinctions as it's trivial or inconsequential

Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
One guy had some serious scratching to his screen and supposedly been careful with it. So to read "why does it matter" and "Dude its a phone get over it. Is your car and house scratch free" for a day 1 product is ridiculous!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
One guy had some serious scratching to his screen and supposedly been careful with it. So to read "why does it matter" and "Dude its a phone get over it. Is your car and house scratch free" for a day 1 product is ridiculous!
the iPhone threads are full of apologists. You get killed for saying anything the least bit critical of anything Apple.

Reactions: michael9891

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Very detailed review of battery life comparison, the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max are still far and above the battery champs, by almost 25% better than the new 12 Pro. Sucks to see a brand new phone get significantly worse battery life than the phones from last year. Seems like the iPhone battery king on top of the hill is the iPhone11 Pro Max, and will remain that way for at least another year.

Only appeal I felt towards the 12 was that Qualcomm modem but adding 5G and lowering battery capacity was just plain idiotic. They are going for the thin spiel again. It's sad. The 11 Pro Max was a masterpiece. Now they are headed backwards.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The iPhone section is a bit of a mess right now. lol
Same issue as every iphone launch really. Those that are moaning about certain stuff are the same who knew about the difference from last years models but still buy it anyway only to moan. Not sure why so many need to justify their current phone over the new phones. I think phones get harder and harder to justify to upgrade each year. I think those with an 11 pro unless they love night mode should stick with what they have. 12 pro max could be worth it just for camera but even then battery life will likely be better on the 11 pro model.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Really curious to read about the iPhone 12 Pro Max battery life compared to the king of battery the 11 Pro Max. With the thinner build, smaller battery size, and 5G, I am going to guess the 12 Pro Max will have approx 20% worse battery life than the 11 Pro Max. Which means the 12 Pro Max wills till have very good battery life, but not top of the food chain battery like last years 11PM.

Sucks that technology gets like this, one step forward, two steps back.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think part of it is simply trying to keep the devices light. Over the years I've done my fair share of ranting about how that'll always be a stupid choice vs. stuffing more battery in there, no matter the end weight of the device, but this time I actually don't mind at all.

I use my iPhone a ton for gaming and media consumption where I'll often hold it in landscape mode, gently propped up on my fingertips for an hour straight. And my iPhone 11 Pro is actually one heavy b**** to hold for extended time periods. My girlfriend picked it up to hand it to me the other day and went "Wow, this is freaking heavy!" since it weighs a ton more than her far larger Huawei.

So yeah, the weight has actually been a real gripe for me with the 11 Pro. And for this round I'm dying to go back to Max size phones, so I for one am actually happy that they kept the new phones the same weight even though they're a touch bigger in surface area. And like others here are saying, I've always had a big chunk of battery % left at the end of the day, so for me personally this decrease in capacity only means shaving off a bit of the surplus.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Really curious to read about the iPhone 12 Pro Max battery life compared to the king of battery the 11 Pro Max. With the thinner build, smaller battery size, and 5G, I am going to guess the 12 Pro Max will have approx 20% worse battery life than the 11 Pro Max. Which means the 12 Pro Max wills till have very good battery life, but not top of the food chain battery like last years 11PM.

Sucks that technology gets like this, one step forward, two steps back.
If it has say 7 hours 30 mins to 8 hours screen time will people not care? I dunno. For me battery life was never an issue on 11 pro max but of course you never want to get worse battery life a year later. I imagine those who use 5G on the 12 and 12 pro will be lucky to see 6 hours screen time.

i won’t even have a 5G sim in my 12 pro max when i get it so 5G will likely be off as i doubt i will be getting access to it anyway. 5G coverage here is awful anyway and is only in the city centre.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Got my 12 Pro today.
Really surprised at how much bigger it feels than 11 Pro. Someone on the iPhone section posted a pic of their Note 20 Ultra fitting inside a Pro Max case with room to spare. I mean, that’s ridiculous. The Note 20 is already huge and I imagine, unwieldly. The 12 Pro Max looks to be absolutely giant.

Overall I like it. I don’t have a problem with iOS at all, and can happily use it. The design is nice, I really like it actually. Went with gold because I felt that was by far the nicest colour and would work with basically all the coloured cases. Especially plum, green and navy.

F307411E-D018-4679-9E59-A3AC0D417784.jpeg

Do enjoy being able to double take the back of the phone for a screen shot now! Also, more widgets have been added since I last looked and I have a pretty solid set up with them now. Like the Spotify one. Hoping more get added over time.

9C3C9294-CFD1-40E3-A5BF-B484AAA6F81C.png

AA7A1BC9-C5ED-4BBE-AFA7-AC87B3A1EB16.png

The case selection for iPhone over most Android phones is always nice too. You can guarantee you will get a decent case and a fair bit of variety the minute you get your device. Even if your day one.
Lastly, I love the new thin boxes. :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Got my 12 Pro today.
Really surprised at how much bigger it feels than 11 Pro. Someone on the iPhone section posted a pic of their Note 20 Ultra fitting inside a Pro Max case with room to spare. I mean, that’s ridiculous. The Note 20 is already huge and I imagine, unwieldly. The 12 Pro Max looks to be absolutely giant.

Overall I like it. I don’t have a problem with iOS at all, and can happily use it. The design is nice, I really like it actually. Went with gold because I felt that was by far the nicest colour and would work with basically all the coloured cases. Especially plum, green and navy.

View attachment 973446

Do enjoy being able to double take the back of the phone for a screen shot now! Also, more widgets have been added since I last looked and I have a pretty solid set up with them now. Like the Spotify one. Hoping more get added over time.

View attachment 973448

View attachment 973449

The case selection for iPhone over most Android phones is always nice too. You can guarantee you will get a decent case and a fair bit of variety the minute you get your device. Even if your day one.
Lastly, I love the new thin boxes. :)

I always say, Apple designs and builds beautiful phones, that 12 Pro of yours does look amazing. And agree on the case selection, the best options.

Curious your thoughts on battery life?

Reactions: Oohara

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I always say, Apple designs and builds beautiful phones, that 12 Pro of yours does look amazing. And agree on the case selection, the best options.

Curious your thoughts on battery life?

Too early to tell yet :). I imagine it’s good though as it came out of the box on about 70% and hasn’t been on a charger since I powered it on around 1pm.

On 13% currently. So seems pretty good when I’ve been setting it up and messing with it most of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.