Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Someone on the iPhone section posted a pic of their Note 20 Ultra fitting inside a Pro Max case with room to spare. I mean, that’s ridiculous. The Note 20 is already huge and I imagine, unwieldly. The 12 Pro Max looks to be absolutely giant.
That's weird. The Note looks wider and taller than the 12 Pro Max here.
Screenshot_20201024-210114.png

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
How odd. I think it was a Note 20 anyway? It was Mystic Bronze whatever it was. Let me see if I can find the post.
Maybe it was the Note 20 regular and not the Ultra?

As for your iPhone, how accurate are the pics and videos of the gold compared to how it looks in real life?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
The Note definitely taller then. But despite the specs saying the iPhone is a touch wider, the pic I posted doesn't appear that way when placed on top of each other.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Here it is.
My mistake here, I did scroll past it quite quick and from quick scroll it looked like the note was IN the case but it isn’t. It does look wider here though?

F25C7C6C-80D7-4584-BAC7-4EB4AFCD672F.png

Also, re the colour. I’d say it was Bob on. Everything I’ve seen press wise is accurate. It’s a cream on the back but the gold sides are so gold it looks great. If you like that. Some will find it pretty garish I think!

Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Here it is.
My mistake here, I did scroll past it quite quick and from quick scroll it looked like the note was IN the case but it isn’t. It does look wider here though?

View attachment 973460
Also, re the colour. I’d say it was Bob on. Everything I’ve seen press wise is accurate. It’s a cream on the back but the gold sides are so gold it looks great. If you like that. Some will find it pretty garish I think!
The iPhone is 0.9mm wider but against that case, looks more than that.

Reactions: Aneres11

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I've always said iPhones are great devices. And as recently as last week I said I wouldn't get one until iOS sorts out app placement. But I'm sorely tempted to try a 12 Pro Max.

Currently leaning towards the graphite over the gold.

Reactions: jamezr and Bkdodger

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Was just waking past a T-Mobile store, checked out the iPhone 12 Pro, first impressions;

- Build quality abd design A+ top notch

- But WTF is up with the crap gesture navigation? You can't swipe back from anywhere on the screen like you can on Android? I always hated that the iPhone never have software nav keys on the bottom like Android since day one, then both platforms moved to the gesture system, and I hated that. Was so upset Google went full gesture based navigation, took me forever to get comfortable with it, after a decade of software keys on the bottom of my phone's.

- My point, playing with the iPhone 12 Pro now, I was swiping back to get out of apps, and nothing happened. It wasn't working. I had to ask the T-Mobile rep if the phone was broken or buggy LOL she says you can only swipe at the bottom of the screen. Not just anywhere like on Android.

- Wow, iOS. I think I'd maybe like it, but just more stupid BS from Apple and terrible gesture system. I hated gesture nav on my Pixel at first, just couldn't stand it. But accepted it finally. But holy cow Apples version sucks balls.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
You can swipe back anywhere on the left side. So I can be at the top, bottom or middle and so long as I swipe from the left edge it goes back?
You can’t swipe in the middle of the screen to go back, but android doesn’t let you do that either? Has to be at the edge, but anywhere on that edge.
I personally find iPhone gestures to be great.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Was just waking past a T-Mobile store, checked out the iPhone 12 Pro, first impressions;

- But WTF is up with the crap gesture navigation? You can't swipe back from anywhere on the screen like you can on Android? I always hated that the iPhone never have software nav keys on the bottom like Android since day one, then both platforms moved to the gesture system, and I hated that. Was so upset Google went full gesture based navigation, took me forever to get comfortable with it, after a decade of software keys on the bottom of my phone's.

- My point, playing with the iPhone 12 Pro now, I was swiping back to get out of apps, and nothing happened. It wasn't working. I had to ask the T-Mobile rep if the phone was broken or buggy LOL she says you can only swipe at the bottom of the screen. Not just anywhere like on Android.

- Wow, iOS. I think I'd maybe like it, but just more stupid BS from Apple and terrible gesture system. I hated gesture nav on my Pixel at first, just couldn't stand it. But accepted it finally. But holy cow Apples version sucks balls.
As mentioned needs to be from left side to go back. Gestures for me are great on ios. Better than android imo

Least on android you don't need to use gestures though

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Android you can swipe back from either side, the right or left, and from any area on that side, the top, middle or bottom.

Trust me, I hated gesture nav when Google first adopted it, I resisted for a good year, but gave in, I still don't love it, but I use it now, and find it ok. But just trying the iPhone 12 Pro it felt limited, and worse.

But to be fair, thst demo phone was in a security clamp and bolted down, so I don't have free range to truly try it. I'll give it another shot when I can actually hold the phone in my hand.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So on my Pixel 4 XL I'm very used to swiping the right edge of the screen moving my thumb left to go back, I can do that in middle area of that right side. Feels very natural and easy.

So the iPhone you can only do that at the bottom portion of the screen?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm finding out there is no perfect phone. LOL.

The iPhone 12 Pro build quality is outstanding great. The display is amazing. But iOS ugh.

Same with my Pixel's, I love stock Android, but frigging Google puts **** hardware inside, always skimping out and half assing it. Or just making dumb design decisions. The Pixel phones could be so much better if they actually cared or tried harder. But I've been waiting years for Google to wake up, and make the holy grail Nexus / Pixel, and I'm still waiting.

And OnePlus was making headway getting better year after year, they were becoming the Super Nexus phone, the true flagship Pixel but better, but now they've gotten wonky still mediocre cameras, and they moved to that dumb curved edge display design, and their software used to be a tweeked stock Android but now it's becoming like Samsung One UI. OnePlus seems a little lost on who they want to be? Plus they kind of suck on updates and supporting their phones.

Oh well...that's just the way it is I guess. There never will be that perfect smartphone for everybody.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So on my Pixel 4 XL I'm very used to swiping the right edge of the screen moving my thumb left to go back, I can do that in middle area of that right side. Feels very natural and easy.

So the iPhone you can only do that at the bottom portion of the screen?

No. Not sure where this bottom part myth is coming from unless that’s what someone advised? On Android you can swipe to go back on either the left OR right side of the screen. With iPhone you can only do it on the left side. But it can be done on any part of the left side. Too middle or bottom. All works.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010

I set up a 12 and 12 Pro yesterday for family members and I have to say I'm tempted to make the 12 Pro my next phone. That hardware is superb. I wish I could run stock Android on that hardware.
I have switched back-and-forth between iPhones and Pixels over the years and planned on keeping the XS Max a third year and picking up the Pixel 5. After reading about some of the shortcomings of the Pixel 5 and my carrier offering $800 worth of bill credits for trade in (current phone is worth about $500 so a net +$300; bringing the 12 Pro to $700) I may do it.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
The iPhone 12 Pro build quality is outstanding great. The display is amazing. But iOS ugh.

LOL I can say the same about Xperia 5 II - hardware ok, but Android ....

Unfortunately, many basic applications like Viber and AccuWeather have ads. Duo seems underdeveloped, especially the text messages look like designed by a person following a course financed by employment services;)
Unfortunately, I am looking for a miltiplatform communicator to contact Apple's part of the family.

The system itself looks not bad, the gestures are ok, the swipe keyboard is phenomenal.

Selecting text, copying and pasting (I read macrumors using google translate) is much more convenient and precise on Android. Pasting in particular works poorly on iOS - sometimes I tap the screen a couple of times and nothing happens. I have a protective glass on the iPhone, but I did not even remove the foil from the display from Xperia. Maybe in this case the hardware age is more important?

If I had to show it in numbers, it would be "cool / annoying" for iOS 60/40 and 40/60 for Android :)

However, I am a specific user and I do not rate Siri / Assistant because I do not use it. However, Siri doesn't speak my language so that's a huge drawback.

From an ecosystem point of view, it is not possible to integrate the iPhone natively with my computer. If I'm going to be using Dropbox, Evernote or Firefox, I prefer to do it on Android. Xperia allows me to transfer my multimedia without any problems.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
LOL I can say the same about Xperia 5 II - hardware ok, but Android ....

Unfortunately, many basic applications like Viber and AccuWeather have ads. Duo seems underdeveloped, especially the text messages look like designed by a person following a course financed by employment services;)
Unfortunately, I am looking for a miltiplatform communicator to contact Apple's part of the family.

The system itself looks not bad, the gestures are ok, the swipe keyboard is phenomenal.

Selecting text, copying and pasting (I read macrumors using google translate) is much more convenient and precise on Android. Pasting in particular works poorly on iOS - sometimes I tap the screen a couple of times and nothing happens. I have a protective glass on the iPhone, but I did not even remove the foil from the display from Xperia. Maybe in this case the hardware age is more important?

If I had to show it in numbers, it would be "cool / annoying" for iOS 60/40 and 40/60 for Android :)

However, I am a specific user and I do not rate Siri / Assistant because I do not use it. However, Siri doesn't speak my language so that's a huge drawback.

From an ecosystem point of view, it is not possible to integrate the iPhone natively with my computer. If I'm going to be using Dropbox, Evernote or Firefox, I prefer to do it on Android. Xperia allows me to transfer my multimedia without any problems.

I agree that the apps on Android are not as high quality as their iOS counterparts in a lot of cases. I'm guessing a lot of these were ported from a cross-platform codebase such as Xamarian and there simply wasn't as much QA on the Android versions. Not sure, but I've definitely seen more issues on Android apps than I ever did on iOS.

The lack of iPhone options to integrate iPhone with non-Mac computers is what drove me to Android. That and, frankly, Apple's overall attitude towards what I am allowed to do on my own phone. Android doesn't really seem to care. As @mi7chy pointed out, Android gives you torrent clients, emulators, and even terminal access. Google play will let competitors to its own services on without batting on eyelash. The recent iOS/xCloud/Stadia controversy is the most recent example.

As far as the operating systems themselves, I'd say they are about even for me. I find my Samsung Note has a lot more options. I can go on Youtube and watch videos of features on Samsung phones and find all kinds of things I never knew existed. But I do like the simplicity of iPhone as well. What it does, it does well and the interface seems less cluttered. How to do things seems much more straight forward on iPhone. But I guess that is partially due to the fact it limits what you *can* do.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Got my 12 Pro today.
Really surprised at how much bigger it feels than 11 Pro. Someone on the iPhone section posted a pic of their Note 20 Ultra fitting inside a Pro Max case with room to spare. I mean, that’s ridiculous. The Note 20 is already huge and I imagine, unwieldly. The 12 Pro Max looks to be absolutely giant.

Overall I like it. I don’t have a problem with iOS at all, and can happily use it. The design is nice, I really like it actually. Went with gold because I felt that was by far the nicest colour and would work with basically all the coloured cases. Especially plum, green and navy.

View attachment 973446

Do enjoy being able to double take the back of the phone for a screen shot now! Also, more widgets have been added since I last looked and I have a pretty solid set up with them now. Like the Spotify one. Hoping more get added over time.

View attachment 973448

View attachment 973449

The case selection for iPhone over most Android phones is always nice too. You can guarantee you will get a decent case and a fair bit of variety the minute you get your device. Even if your day one.
Lastly, I love the new thin boxes. :)
Thanks for the quick rundown! That design is so sexy it makes me blush. And I’m supremely happy to hear about the Max being huge, as I’m done with my year of testing midsize phones and will return to my natural giant phone habitat this year :p

That photo of the Samsung phone and a case is quite misleading though I think, the case seems to have an extremely thick frame and he seems to be holding the phone somewhat off center making it look thinner than it is.

On the side swipe issues - am I right that with Android you can swipe from the side to go back to the previous app (depending on your customization options of course), whereas iOS takes you back to the previous page within the same app?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the quick rundown! That design is so sexy it makes me blush. And I’m supremely happy to hear about the Max being huge, as I’m done with my year of testing midsize phones and will return to my natural giant phone habitat this year :p

That photo of the Samsung phone and a case is quite misleading though I think, the case seems to have an extremely thick frame and he seems to be holding the phone somewhat off center making it look thinner than it is.

On the side swipe issues - am I right that with Android you can swipe from the side to go back to the previous app (depending on your customization options of course), whereas iOS takes you back to the previous page within the same app?

It is a sexy phone! And re swipe gestures. You can swipe from the left on iOS to go back a page, or back a step in an app etc. Just like Android. The difference is, on Android you can swipe from the right side of the screen to perform the same back options.

Both iOS and Android have the same swipe the bottom of the screen to go back and forward between open apps.

Reactions: Oohara

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I agree that the apps on Android are not as high quality as their iOS counterparts in a lot of cases. I'm guessing a lot of these were ported from a cross-platform codebase such as Xamarian and there simply wasn't as much QA on the Android versions. Not sure, but I've definitely seen more issues on Android apps than I ever did on iOS.

The lack of iPhone options to integrate iPhone with non-Mac computers is what drove me to Android. That and, frankly, Apple's overall attitude towards what I am allowed to do on my own phone. Android doesn't really seem to care. As @mi7chy pointed out, Android gives you torrent clients, emulators, and even terminal access. Google play will let competitors to its own services on without batting on eyelash. The recent iOS/xCloud/Stadia controversy is the most recent example.

As far as the operating systems themselves, I'd say they are about even for me. I find my Samsung Note has a lot more options. I can go on Youtube and watch videos of features on Samsung phones and find all kinds of things I never knew existed. But I do like the simplicity of iPhone as well. What it does, it does well and the interface seems less cluttered. How to do things seems much more straight forward on iPhone. But I guess that is partially due to the fact it limits what you *can* do.
I think app quailty generally is a lot better on IOS. I think a lot of the main apps on android are fine it’s more the middle ground apps i feel are lacking and just look like blown up versions compared to IOS. Apps like reddit are fine though generally when looking on apps on iphone it’s just better viewing. Although as a football fan apps like OneFootball and FotMob are perfectly good so I guess depends on the apps one would use on a daily basics. I wish twitter was optimized better for my fold 2....as open it doesn’t look very good just blown up version.

love my fold 2 but certain apps like that need to be better.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Same can be said for certain members of this section though and the Samsung shrine squad.
Although mostly its very civil.

On topic then, I love the design of the 12 but this is the first iPhone launch I am sitting out as I really don't feel there is any reason to buy one over an 11.
Overall it is a very disappointing upgrade. I also watched a product red iPhone 12 unboxing and man, that thing is coral! Not sure what happened there...!
I'm the opposite. I was underwhelmed with the iPhone 11 series but the 12 series are intriguing, love the new (old) boxy design and performance is top nothing as always.

I'm loving the two 12 Pro models, like blue and granite colours but I will wait until the S21 range comes out before deciding which way to go.

Only downside to go iOS is I love my Galaxy Watch3 and will some functionality with iOS but it all depends on the feature set, CPU and design of the S21 range!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.