Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
People just love to hate on Apple and gaming is such a weird thing to non stop bash Apple for. It’s been like this for 20 years I have been using macs and probably before then. Every thread (take a look at the new one about No Man’s Sky) turns into AAA gaming and how macs are bad. Why? We get it. Some of you aren’t happy. But 20 years of this?

Reactions: Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Is that a fact? Many studios take the time to do things right, and game releases go smoothly.
Rushed releases cause a lot of drama.

Agreed. Did the Zelda team lose their jobs?

Rushing games to keep their jobs is a lazy excuse. That's what happens when your inspiration and passion for the job and industry is gone and you just care about making money and yourself instead of caring for your customers. Time to look for another hobby if that's one's motto.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
People just love to hate on Apple and gaming is such a weird thing to non stop bash Apple for. It’s been like this for 20 years I have been using macs and probably before then. Every thread (take a look at the new one about No Man’s Sky) turns into AAA gaming and how macs are bad. Why? We get it. Some of you aren’t happy. But 20 years of this?

Don't worry! It's either just those industry people at work or a lot of "sour grapes" from PC fans about Apple's headset. ;)

1685462930961.png

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
A lazy excuse. That's what happens when your inspiration and passion for the job and industry is gone and you just care about making money and yourself instead of your customers. Time to look for another hobby if that's your motto.
What does this response mean? That is Nintendo’s entire business plan. The famous quote about a rushed game being forever bad but a delayed game being good.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
What does this response mean? That is Nintendo’s entire business plan. The famous quote about a rushed game being forever bad but a delayed game being good.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you but agreeing that devs don't have to rush games. Was addressing those lazy people. Meant "if that's one's motto". :)

Last edited:

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Is that a fact? Many studios take the time to do things right, and game releases go smoothly.
Rushed releases cause a lot of drama.
Unfortunately, yes. Additional hours, work on weekends and so on is pretty much the norm for the big players. Apple is no exception when it comes to this. You get a pat on the back one day and are almost fired the next. The pressure the devs have there is immense, similar to what students feel at Ivy League universities. Psychological pressure that is. You can see this in many teams walking around in offices, including the Apple campus. One of my former students was/is a huge Apple fanboi, so we arranged for him to write his thesis at Apple HQ. He stayed until his thesis was complete (worked on Xcode version control, scalability, load balancing, etc.), then tried for another six months and left. So did many others, it's almost toxic. Another person who actually studied with me went from Ubi to Capcom (in Japan), later left for Square and moved around a bit there during the IP merger to tri-Ace. Seems to be happy there.

Massive hours on weekends is the norm, most people take it for a while. There are exceptions though. The most chilled guys I've ever seen are at Microsoft Research Lab in Redmond. That's where work becomes entirely fun and they create great stuff there. Much more interesting than Apple, Facebook, Amazon or Google. That's actually a place I would work at, but the guys porting the prototypes to actual products manage to screw most things up.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
No it isn't. There are much more. There always have been, back to the home computer days in 80s and 90s peaking with the C64 and Amiga. It's called franchise licensing. Take a very successful franchise, license it for a game and put "5 minutes" of effort into it to cash in. Just look at titles like "Masters oof the Universe" for the C64. The franchise was very successful in the 80s. Back in the day of floppy discs and mailboxes that wasn't a problem for sales. It even worked back in the CompuServe days. Not so much nowadays. Look at what happened to Warcraft 3 Reforged (on all platforms).
I have to disagree with your opening statement. I really believe this is one of the worst efforts of recent times. And I'm not meaning back to the 80's and 90's because in terms of computer gaming, I don't view this as recent.
There is so much wrong with this title, but it can't solely be put down to to the "5 minutes of effort" thing. They delayed this game for so long.
It has to be down to complete lack of talent, at every level of the project.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Have you played all that there is on Mac? Re Village?
No, I haven't played all that there it. I may try RE village but I didn't have an AS Mac until recently.
I don't like all FPS games, but I would have liked to play the recent Doom games, which is currently impossible on Apple Silicon.

Reactions: Homy

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
There is so much wrong with this title, but it can't solely be put down to to the "5 minutes of effort" thing. They delayed this game for so long.
It has to be down to complete lack of talent, at every level of the project.
This particular title, as in Gollum? Sure, as I said, the whole studio sold for less than €3M. What can you expect from a franchise title that's created by a studio that's worth so little? In addition part of their money came from government funding, the help the industry grow. This is screaming Uwe Boll movies all over the place. It was bound to fail from the beginning. But that's not the case with larger studios like EA, they have all the money they need, but are greedy to cash in as soon as possible in order to move on to the next title. That they have in common, the Gollum developers are already working on the next LotR title.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I'm sure a lot of the funding went places that it shouldn't.
One very nice thing to see, is just how hard this one has bombed. Player numbers are very low, user reviews are low (and incredibly negative). I'd be surprised if we see this next title...

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Mac gaming sucks (and is not dead), because many, many great games are available on basically all platforms except macOS, because we can't play 32-bit Mac games anymore and because performance is generally lower than on Windows, due to the Mac being an afterthought.

And this isn't going to change.

Without talking particularly about you I have always thought this is a weird logic in my encounters with many around the internet.

People, even PC gamers, first complain you can’t play 32-bit games on Mac, like the 16-year-old Team Fortress as if that’s all they do and all that matters. At the same time they say they can’t play new AAA games on Mac, as if that’s all they do and all that matters.

Then when new games come to Mac, even AAA titles, they laugh and say Mac only gets old games, like they say about RE Village and NMS. Then when devs update their old 32-bit games to Apple Silicon like Aspyr is doing they laugh again and say Mac only gets old games and playing old goodies is nothing to cheer about. The same people who first wanted to play old 32-bit games.

Then they say Apple makes it impossible for devs to make games and does nothing to help but when Apple makes efforts in the right direction and helps devs like 4A with Metro Exodus, Larian with BG3 and Piranha Bytes with Elex 2 they say that’s just for show and no good and never will be.

Then when all this is called Mac bashing they say no it’s about choice and being realist and keep bragging about PC performance and freedom of choice. Then when I suggest they should just get a PC/console and be happy instead of complaining here all the time about a platform they don’t really game on they go back to step one and keep complaining, rinse and repeat.

So in the end nothing anybody does for Mac gaming matters because people just love to point finger and mock Apple, Macs and Mac gamers. Otherwise there would be no need for such posts when there is a solution and if people really were realists and didn’t care about talking down other platforms they don’t game on. Again I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing because you could as well be a frustrated Mac gamer but that’s the situation in general. :)

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Even if Macs get games it doesn't mean it's playable. Here's someone finally admitting what I've been saying that lower end Macs such as M1 and M2 fail to offer decent minimum 60fps+ at 1080p on a game with oil painting mobile graphics. You need to spend $3300+ on M2 Max to start catching up with <=$1K gaming PCs.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Even if Macs get games it doesn't mean it's playable. Here's someone finally admitting what I've been saying that lower end Macs such as M1 and M2 fail to offer decent minimum 60fps+ at 1080p on a game with oil painting mobile graphics. You need to spend $3300+ on M2 Max to start catching up with <=$1K gaming PCs.

Firmament is but one example.

Have you tried No Man’s Sky? The devs there really stuck the landing. Metal 3 compatible, MetalFX Upscaling, instead of Metal 2.1 and relying on AMD FSR to be “good” enough.

And it’s on Steam, not the MAS, and is coming on VR for both Mac and Windows!

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Without talking particularly about you I have always thought this is a weird logic in my encounters with many around the internet.

People, even PC gamers, first complain you can’t play 32-bit games on Mac, like the 16-year-old Team Fortress as if that’s all they do and all that matters. At the same time they say they can’t play new AAA games on Mac, as if that’s all they do and all that matters.

Then when new games come to Mac, even AAA titles, they laugh and say Mac only gets old games, like they say about RE Village and NMS. Then when devs update their old 32-bit games to Apple Silicon like Aspyr is doing they laugh again and say Mac only gets old games and playing old goodies is nothing to cheer about. The same people who first wanted to play old 32-bit games.

Then they say Apple makes it impossible for devs to make games and does nothing to help but when Apple makes efforts in the right direction and helps devs like 4A with Metro Exodus, Larian with BG3 and Piranha Bytes with Elex 2 they say that’s just for show and no good and never will be.

Then when all this is called Mac bashing they say no it’s about choice and being realist and keep bragging about PC performance and freedom of choice. Then when I suggest they should just get a PC/console and be happy instead of complaining here all the time about a platform they don’t really game on they go back to step one and keep complaining, rinse and repeat.

So in the end nothing anybody does for Mac gaming matters because people just love to point finger and mock Apple, Macs and Mac gamers. Otherwise there would be no need for such posts when there is a solution and if people really were realists and didn’t care about talking down other platforms they don’t game on. Again I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing because you could as well be a frustrated Mac gamer but that’s the situation in general. :)
It's almost like those things are said by different people! Some people like to play newer AAA titles, some like to play older, some people like a mix of new titles and older favs etc.

But at the same time it's not exactly incorrect to say Mac gaming isn't fantastic especially for their wants. It's okay for people to enjoy Mac gaming but there is a ton of compromises and missing titles compared to other platforms. It's just fact. It's also not Mac bashing to say this.

I would argue it is PC bashing to make posts and threads gloating about every new PC release with any sort of problem/general suckage.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
But at the same time it's not exactly incorrect to say Mac gaming isn't fantastic especially for their wants. It's okay for people to enjoy Mac gaming but there is a ton of compromises and missing titles compared to other platforms. It's just fact. It's also not Mac bashing to say this.

To express it like this is perfectly fine. Mac bashing is another thing. Macs can't be fantastic for everyone and every need but that's something some people have a hard time to understand by their unrealistic expectations, comparisions and glorification of other platforms, especially when it comes to gaming and a platform with only 2.5% of the Steam market.

One example is the new game Stray coming to Mac. People always move the goalposts as usual. A game that's not on Xbox and not even 11 months old is not new enough. It has to be a day-and-date relase on a platform with only 2.5% of Steam share. Even if all the PC games had Mac ports at day one the next complaint would be "Shame that Macs are more expensive and Apple Silicon underperforms against RTX 8090".

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.