Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You’re conflating thoughts. Apple, in my experience, does try to make the user experience across iOS devices as consistent as possible. Comparing the xr to the m1 in the way you did is about the user experience, not about raw cpu horsepower of which the m1 obliterates the a12.
Consistent in what way? When comparing devices with different "processor firepower"? If so, I wish! If they try, they're failing catastrophically.
I agree as far as 32 bit obliterated devices go, but non-obliterated devices such as the a12 there are varied experiences across the board, and I’m sure as you know one persons experience may not be another. (As an example the people complaining about stutter and lag on iOS 12, of which you said it was “flawless”)
Sure, A12 devices are usable, but significantly worse.
Not all people “complain” in online forums. Some people don’t care to complain and other people either may not have an issue and yet still others may have an issue but not notice they do. All sorts of variations that a conclusion cannot be drawn from.
I fully admit I pay more attention to this than the vast majority of users. Even among enthusiasts, I'm an extreme minority. I have no problem whatsoever with acknowledging that.

I lose one hour of SOT on a device that gets 20 and I notice. The vast majority wouldn't, I reckon.

But these expectations are the ones that make me keep everything on its original iOS version, and like I said, I don't think updating is inherently wrong. If you can tolerate these issues, or they're innocuous enough for you not to notice, more power to you, keep updating.

As for me, no thank you. Original versions forever.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Consistent in what way? When comparing devices with different "processor firepower"? If so, I wish! If they try, they're failing catastrophically.
No they are not.
Sure, A12 devices are usable, but significantly worse.
No they aren’t.
I fully admit I pay more attention to this than the vast majority of users. Even among enthusiasts, I'm an extreme minority. I have no problem whatsoever with acknowledging that.

I lose one hour of SOT on a device that gets 20 and I notice. The vast majority wouldn't, I reckon.

But these expectations are the ones that make me keep everything on its original iOS version, and like I said, I don't think updating is inherently wrong. If you can tolerate these issues, or they're innocuous enough for you not to notice, more power to you, keep updating.
Or if updating does not actually cause the decline you so passionately speak of.
As for me, no thank you. Original versions forever.
Serial updater here.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve somewhat been following FeliApple’s and I7guy’s back and forth arguments.

My take, if anyone bothers to know (hah), is I wish Apple would provide optional upgrades to the latest iOS versions while also providing security updates on say the previous 2-3 iOS versions. For example, I don’t have to update to iOS 17 on my 13 Pro Max to get security patches. I would like to maintain iOS 15 while having the same security fixes iOS 17 users get. That’s how my ideal world looks like.

In my opinion, the newest iOSes aren’t always better than the previous ones. For example, iOS 14 is not greater or better than a stable iOS 13 version.

I mean iOS 17 is very stable now and I’m just afraid we will take 10 step backwards when iOS 18 comes out.
Whilst this would be better, they'd need to provide those via OTA, as providing and signing the full IPSW would allow downgrading, but yes, allowing those of us who want to stay behind to install the latest point versions of the iOS version we are currently on instead of the only option being the latest major iOS version that the device supports would be a little better than the current standard.

The only actual solution to the fiasco that's ongoing since iOS 4 is to freely allow downgrading, but like we've repeatedly discussed throughout this thread, they are more interested in further curtailing outdated devices than the opposite.

Look, as long as Apple doesn't pull another malicious, nonsensical garbage like the A9 activation bug, I'm happy with my devices on the iOS versions they're currently on even if they aren't the latest (although the iPad Air 5 is). As for everyone else, people can choose to update without being able to downgrade; if they want to degrade their own devices, they're free to do so, whatever floats their boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdoherty

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’m going to add the word potentially before the word degrade. Because that then, would be an honest opinion.
Amusingly, the first major version, barring specific exceptions (like iOS 7 and iOS 11), is typically fine, so if someone wants the newest possible version, perhaps the first major update is fine.

The funny part of this? I would’ve saved my 9.7-inch iPad Pro if I had updated to iOS 10 when I had the chance. iOS 10 is as good as iOS 9 for A9 devices (remember, I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 10 now and I used an iPhone 6s on iOS 9 for over three years), so if I had followed this, every device I have would be perfect and I would’ve never encountered the A9 activation bug (which does NOT affect iOS 10, as I’ve been running iOS 10 on my other iPhone 6s since 2016).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Amusingly, the first major version, barring specific exceptions (like iOS 7 and iOS 11), is typically fine, so if someone wants the newest possible version, perhaps the first major update is fine.

The funny part of this? I would’ve saved my 9.7-inch iPad Pro if I had updated to iOS 10 when I had the chance. iOS 10 is as good as iOS 9 for A9 devices (remember, I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 10 now and I used an iPhone 6s on iOS 9 for over three years), so if I had followed this, every device I have would be perfect and I would’ve never encountered the A9 activation bug (which does NOT affect iOS 10, as I’ve been running iOS 10 on my other iPhone 6s since 2016).
Perfect is a very high superlative, one in which the world at large does not operate in.

Barring that, as long as we agree that degrade can mean anything from imperceptible to “obliteration” I’m good with you using the word “perfect” to describe your views as I can’t dispute your opinion of your devices. Although I have the opinion perfect doesn’t exist in software.

Where it gets very dicey is when you dispute my opinion of my devices.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Perfect is a very high superlative, one in which the world at large does not operate in.

Barring that, as long as we agree that degrade can mean anything from imperceptible to “obliteration” I’m good with you using the word “perfect” to describe your views as I can’t dispute your opinion of your devices. Although I have the opinion perfect doesn’t exist in software.
I think the qualitative adjective before “degradation” matters. Everything isn’t the same. A user of a 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 begs for the ability to downgrade to iOS 12 because the degradation has been massive, whereas I would like iOS 9 (...or 10 rather, because iOS 9 doesn’t work on A9 devices anymore), but I’m happy with the glass half-full and iOS 12, in hindsight. It’s not all the same. An iPhone 6s on iOS 11 is significantly worse than iOS 9 and 10, but it’s a dream device from the perspective of a user on iOS 15.
Where it gets very dicey is when you dispute my opinion of my devices.
As long as you continue to claim that a fully updated A12 iPhone is fairly equivalent to one on iOS 12, I will continue to dispute it with the same severity.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think the qualitative adjective before “degradation” matters. Everything isn’t the same. A user of a 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 begs for the ability to downgrade to iOS 12 because the degradation has been massive, whereas I would like iOS 9 (...or 10 rather, because iOS 9 doesn’t work on A9 devices anymore), but I’m happy with the glass half-full and iOS 12, in hindsight. It’s not all the same. An iPhone 6s on iOS 11 is significantly worse than iOS 9 and 10, but it’s a dream device from the perspective of a user on iOS 15.
I think the word degrade isn’t even the correct word. Nor is it “slow down”, because that isnt something that is universal. Not sure what the right word is but it is not degrade.
As long as you continue to claim that a fully updated A12 iPhone is fairly equivalent to one on iOS 12, I will continue to dispute it with the same severity.
And I will continue to disclose you are spitballing and you have no clue.

And yet the same describes a software environment of “perfect”. There isn’t really any electronic consumer oriented lifestyle device made by man that is “perfect”.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
And I will continue to disclose you are spitballing and you have no clue.

And yet the same describes a software environment of “perfect”. There isn’t really any electronic consumer oriented lifestyle device made by man that is “perfect”.
I can change it to "it works like-new" if you like, but the implications are the same. An updated device doesn't work like-new and is severely degraded. If you want to bury your head in the sand and shout that it does, more power to you, but that won't change reality.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I can change it to "it works like-new" if you like, but the implications are the same. An updated device doesn't work like-new and is severely degraded. If you want to bury your head in the sand and shout that it does, more power to you, but that won't change reality.
Here’s the way the quote should have been written:
I can change it to "it works like-new" if you like, but the implications are the same. An updated device can work like-new and doesn’t have to loose performance. Because I have no proof I have to take you at your word the same way when I say my xr is flawless..

Now you can continue talking from down under or just acknowledge that peoples experiences are different than what you may envision. Continuing on this course is just trolling the forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Here’s the way the quote should have been written:

Now you can continue talking from down under or just acknowledge that peoples experiences are different than what you may envision. Continuing on this course is just trolling the forums.
Can you share a screenshot of the battery life of your 15 Pro Max on iOS 17? I’d like to see how heavy of a user you are. I won’t criticize it since that’s an original iOS version, it’s just to get a reference of the battery life you get on a good device.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Can you share a screenshot of the battery life of your 15 Pro Max on iOS 17? I’d like to see how heavy of a user you are. I won’t criticize it since that’s an original iOS version, it’s just to get a reference of the battery life you get on a good device.
Care to share a screenshot of your claimed perfectly flawless with no micro-stutters or lag XR? I won't criticize the micro-stutters or lag since that's an original IOS version and others have claimed the same.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So you have some micro-stutter and performance lag?
Obviously not, did you look at the screenshot? It’s flawless, like-new, impeccable, perfect, astonishingly good. But if you won’t even post a screenshot of an original iOS version device, I think we’ve treaded all the ground there is to tread.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Obviously not, did you look at the screenshot? It’s flawless, like-new, impeccable, perfect, astonishingly good. But if you won’t even post a screenshot of an original iOS version device, I think we’ve treaded all the ground there is to tread.
Screenshots don't show micro-stutters or lag. And I don't believe it's flawless as that goes against common sense. My max on ios 17 lasted me a day with heavy usage 8 hours with a new battery. That's about the same as ios 12. Anyway your word salad doesn't mean my experience is to be discounted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.