Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Disagree, if you compare my iPhone 13 pro on ios 15, compare it to ios 17, i would bet you it’s faster on ios 15.

Of course, i lose out on the features, but it’s features i don’t need.

Now the only thing slowing down my phone is the new app updates. But thats more acceptable.

Keep your iphone on the ios it came with, it will be as fast as when you unboxed it.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I understand you are using a device that’s constrained by age in terms of both hardware and software with a battery that is no where able to deliver anywhere near peak capacity.
What in the world is this? Of course it’s able to deliver peak capacity.

Here you go:
03216544-3137-4A66-B95B-4957E9906CD1.jpeg

That is why you are able to get any life at all out of your iPhone. You use it, but barely.
For a person who criticises assumptions, you surely assume a lot.
This is false. Use it in hostile conditions and your XR will fold like a cheap suit.
It will severely drop, but funnily enough, if there’s one device that’s at risk of folding like a cheap suit, it’s your Xs Max on iOS 17, not my Xʀ on iOS 12. Original iOS version devices don’t fold. Updated ones do.
Okay, you can’t prove me wrong. But yeah you claims are dubious to say the least.
Not true.
I don’t worry, but on IOS 17 I can do things your phone on iOS 12 can only dream of. Yeah both phones check email, post on facebook etc. Your screenshots say nothing because it’s not any type of a valid test. And while I don’t believe many YouTube tests at least it’s some type of testing memorialized.
It can download some more apps and load a few more websites. That’s all.
For all I know you go in a dark room, with a downloaded video, turn the screen down all of the way and hit the screen for 9 hours straight. And sure that is the best case scenario. Those “battery Graphs” don’t show all that is going on in the system.
Post one.
And I’m not discussing iPads, I’m only discussing the a12 chip.
You’re still wrong.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What in the world is this? Of course it’s able to deliver peak capacity.

Here you go: View attachment 2325553
That is exactly what the battery display said on my xs max even though it was powering down below a certain percentage. So while the message may be indicative of the spectrum of where the battery is, it is virtually meaningless in terms of longevity of the charge.
For a person who criticises assumptions, you surely assume a lot.
As do you.
It will severely drop, but funnily enough, if there’s one device that’s at risk of folding like a cheap suit, it’s your Xs Max on iOS 17, not my Xʀ on iOS 12. Original iOS version devices don’t fold. Updated ones do.
Yes, another assumption.
Not true.

It can download some more apps and load a few more websites. That’s all.

Post one.

You’re still wrong.
Nope, I’m correct. I stand by my original statement that iOS updates on the a12 an beyond on an iPhone do not “obliterate” or better have statiscally acceptable variations in performance from iOS 12.

You can put your fingers in your ears and scream na-na-na-na-na but it won’t change that.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
That is exactly what the battery display said on my xs max even though it was powering down below a certain percentage. So while the message may be indicative of the spectrum of where the battery is, it is virtually meaningless in terms of longevity of the charge.

As do you.

Yes, another assumption.

Nope, I’m correct. I stand by my original statement that iOS updates on the a12 an beyond on an iPhone do not “obliterate” or better have statiscally acceptable variations in performance from iOS 12.

You can put your fingers in your ears and scream na-na-na-na-na but it won’t change that.
Post a screenshot.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Disagree, if you compare my iPhone 13 pro on ios 15, compare it to ios 17, i would bet you it’s faster on ios 15.

Now the only thing slowing down my phone is the new app updates. But thats more acceptable.

Keep your iphone on the ios it came with, it will be as fast as when you unboxed it.
Yeah, I get that a lot of people, like you with your iPhone 13 Pro, feel older iOS versions are faster. I'm not disputing personal experiences. But honestly, personal claims are easy to make, just like mine. What I'm really after is if there's been any serious study on this. With so many iPhone users and countless YouTube channels dedicated to iPhone criticism, you'd think there'd be at least one solid examination of this issue out there!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, I get that a lot of people, like you with your iPhone 13 Pro, feel older iOS versions are faster. I'm not disputing personal experiences. But honestly, personal claims are easy to make, just like mine. What I'm really after is if there's been any serious study on this. With so many iPhone users and countless YouTube channels dedicated to iPhone criticism, you'd think there'd be at least one solid examination of this issue out there!
I reckon there hasn’t been for the following reasons:

Firstly, there’s not enough interest. The vast majority of users just update everything. An iPhone Xʀ user on iOS 17 only cares about whether battery life is enough for them on iOS 17. Me telling them “my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 obliterates yours”, isn’t too relevant, because they can’t downgrade to iOS 12.

Secondly, access is hard. I’ve found one other user online who has an A12 Bionic iPhone on iOS 12, it was an iPhone XS. It’s exceedingly difficult to find enough today so as to make a scientific study, for which you’d probably need access to tens of iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 and dozens on iOS 17. (Or to make it better, on the device’s final version, which obviously is to be determined).

However, at this point I know iOS updates severely worsen performance and battery life, so while a scientific study may not show up, I’m content with staying behind forever until Apple either gets it together (which they won’t), or allows downgrading (which they won’t).

I strongly believe that staying behind is the only solution, so I will keep recommending this to everyone regardless of the backlash I get from serial updaters and Apple apologists. It’s the best course of action and I want to help.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Do you have it on iOS 15?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I did post one video that was a great scenario. One youtuber took an xs max on ios xx ran a benchmark, then updated the same iphone to ios yy an ran a benchmark. The result was inconclusive as to any slowdown.

Unlike generalized claims by people who believe in logical fallacies and anecdotal evidence as fact, this alleged slowdown, while there is some grain of truth relates more to 32 bit processors. My opinion is that on the iphone and after the a12 this slowdown really isn't a thing as evidenced by the aforementioned video results. I'm guessing if there was some finding lawyers would be suing Apple left, right and center, and winning.

I understand some believe staying on an operating system 5 years old and doing less than a modern operating system is nirvana, but I always advise updating and that is how we roll, especially if one values your digital assets. I dont know anyone in their right mind, for example, that would run an edition of windows 10 from 2018. Why would you run ios 12?

Saying ios updates "obliterate" performance is a chicken little response and not proved out by any fact (unless you believe anecotal evidence an factiods are facts)

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I did post one video that was a great scenario. One youtuber took an xs max on ios xx ran a benchmark, then updated the same iphone to ios yy an ran a benchmark. The result was inconclusive as to any slowdown.

Unlike generalized claims by people who believe in logical fallacies and anecdotal evidence as fact, this alleged slowdown, while there is some grain of truth as it relates to 32 bit processors, my opinion is that on the iphone and after the a12 this slowdown really isn't a thing. I'm guessing if it was lawyers would be suing Apple left, right and center, and winning.

I understand some believe staying on an operating system 5 years old and doing less than a modern operating system is nirvana, but I always advise updating, especially if one values your digital assets. I dont know anyone in their right mind, for example, that would run an edition of windows 10 from 2018. Why would you run ios 12?
So the video was... a benchmark? I can’t even. Benchmarks don’t show software artifacts like keyboard lag. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 has slight keyboard lag, and a benchmark wouldn’t show that. My iPhone 6s on iOS 13 (forcibly updated like my 9.7-inch iPad Pro from iOS 9) is a lagfest and a benchmark wouldn’t show that.

Who cares if a processor test shows there’s no decline but the experience itself is diminished? Benchmarks show processor speed. Processor speeds don’t change a lot (although I’ve seen software-induced degradation), and even if they do, the user experience is degraded more than the benchmark decline would show.

Like I said, a number showing processor performance can say whatever the hell it wants, if the device is a lagfest and battery life is abhorrent, that takes precedence. I can’t believe your video was a benchmark.

Once again, post a screenshot. Why don’t you? Are you scared of iOS 17’s battery life being poor?

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So the video was... a benchmark? I can’t even.
Neither can I. There is nothing out there that can proves/disproves anything.
Benchmarks don’t show software artifacts like keyboard lag.
Lag happens on the original release and I objectively posted proof of that. If lag happens on an original release, lag happening on a subsequent ios update is fair.
My 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 has slight keyboard lag, and a benchmark wouldn’t show that. My iPhone 6s on iOS 13 (forcibly updated like my 9.7-inch iPad Pro from iOS 9) is a lagfest and a benchmark wouldn’t show that.
But a benchmark would show performance loss and "battery drain", something that did not occur in the update.
Who gives a hoot if a processor test shows there’s no decline but the experience itself is diminished?
Who gives a hoot when an initial release of an operating system has issues for some and out of the box it is a diminished experience.
Benchmarks show processor speed. Processor speeds don’t change a lot (although I’ve seen software-induced degradation), and even if they do, the user experience is degraded more than the benchmark decline would show.
But your a big battery life fan. Benchmarks show loss of battery life. Hence when I say my now old Xs Max had a new battery and it was like day 1, it was a big deal that it felt like new.
Like I said, a number showing processor performance can say whatever the hell it wants, if the device is a lagfest and battery life is abhorrent, that takes precedence. I can’t believe your video was a benchmark.
Exactly and I proved ios 12 was a lagfest upon release. And if ios 17 is the same it means that the overall experience is the same. So therefore this "obliteration" is made up.
Once again, post a screenshot. Why don’t you? Are you scared of iOS 17’s battery life being poor?
I don't have to post a screen shot, because my battery life will never be like yours. You curate your battery life I don't. I use a phone as intended, not as a museum piece.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023

Unlike generalized claims by people who believe in logical fallacies and anecdotal evidence as fact, this alleged slowdown, while there is some grain of truth relates more to 32 bit processors. My opinion is that on the iphone and after the a12 this slowdown really isn't a thing as evidenced by the aforementioned video results. I'm guessing if there was some finding lawyers would be suing Apple left, right and center, and winning.

I understand some believe staying on an operating system 5 years old and doing less than a modern operating system is nirvana, but I always advise updating and that is how we roll, especially if one values your digital assets. I dont know anyone in their right mind, for example, that would run an edition of windows 10 from 2018. Why would you run ios 12?

Saying ios updates "obliterate" performance is a chicken little response and not proved out by any fact (unless you believe anecotal evidence an factiods are facts)
Thanks! I managed to find one so far.

UL Solutions Study on iPhone Performance Over Time: A study conducted by UL Solutions, using over a hundred thousand benchmark results for different iPhone models across multiple iOS versions, found no significant evidence of iPhones being deliberately slowed down over time. Their data showed that GPU performance has remained consistent across different iOS versions with only minor variations. Similarly, CPU performance showed a very slight drop over time, which was attributed to minor iOS updates or other factors. However, this drop was so small that it was unlikely to be noticeable in everyday use

Is it true that iPhones get slower over time?

Found one more: https://wccftech.com/ios-17-beta-1-and-ios-16-5-speed-test-comparison-on-iphone/ They found that while there were some minor stutters and delays on devices like the iPhone XR running iOS 17 beta 1, the overall performance was similar between the two iOS versions. This suggests that while new iOS versions might introduce some hiccups initially (possibly due to being in the beta phase), the general performance does not significantly degrade.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

UL Solutions Study on iPhone Performance Over Time: A study conducted by UL Solutions, using over a hundred thousand benchmark results for different iPhone models across multiple iOS versions, found no significant evidence of iPhones being deliberately slowed down over time. Their data showed that GPU performance has remained consistent across different iOS versions with only minor variations. Similarly, CPU performance showed a very slight drop over time, which was attributed to minor iOS updates or other factors. However, this drop was so small that it was unlikely to be noticeable in everyday use

Good find! Athough the study was done in 2017 with older models shouldn't be really different across newer models. One thing that may be said in subsequent posts, are these lag and stutter issues that is claimed to infect later ios releases. I did find evidence that people were complaining about lag and stutter on the original ios release. So there is that. I do believe there is a minimal hit from later ios releases as more is crammed into IOs, but it's performance is not "obliterated" at least on iphones as is being claimed.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Good find! Athough the study was done in 2017 with older models shouldn't be really different across newer models. One thing that may be said in subsequent posts, are these lag and stutter issues that is claimed to infect later ios releases. I did find evidence that people were complaining about lag and stutter on the original ios release. So there is that. I do believe there is a minimal hit from later ios releases as more is crammed into IOs, but it's performance is not "obliterated" at least on iphones as is being claimed.
Absolutely, the notion that Apple intentionally ruins older phones with good batteries through updates is far-fetched. In practice, many of us with older iPhones, having new batteries and adequate storage, find that these devices work almost as well as new when updated to the latest iOS. It's important to recognize that tech improvements often mean new software requires more resources, which can cause minor lags on older models. However, this is a far cry from the phones becoming 'obliterated.'

Moreover, if Apple truly wanted to push users to newer models, they wouldn't update old phones at all. They'd reserve new iOS features exclusively for the latest devices. The fact that they continue to support older models with updates contradicts the argument of deliberate obsolescence.

Reactions: I7guy

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Lag happens on the original release and I objectively posted proof of that. If lag happens on an original release, lag happening on a subsequent ios update is fair.
Lag happened for some people on the Xs. You can say it’s fair, whatever you need to convince yourself that software-induced obliterations are okay.
But a benchmark would show performance loss and "battery drain", something that did not occur in the update.
No it would not. A benchmark won’t show performance loss and a benchmark will definitely not show battery life loss.
Who gives a hoot when an initial release of an operating system has issues for some and out of the box it is a diminished experience.
This is false.
But your a big battery life fan. Benchmarks show loss of battery life. Hence when I say my now old Xs Max had a new battery and it was like day 1, it was a big deal that it felt like new.
They don’t. I’m glad a battery replacement made it usable again for you (note that I’ve never disputed that battery replacements help if the device is degraded enough and updated far enough). But I am completely sure that it can’t match an iPhone XS Max on iOS 12.
Exactly and I proved ios 12 was a lagfest upon release. And if ios 17 is the same it means that the overall experience is the same. So therefore this "obliteration" is made up.
You proved nothing.
I don't have to post a screen shot, because my battery life will never be like yours. You curate your battery life I don't. I use a phone as intended, not as a museum piece.
I feel a little insulted, you think I cannot interpret a screenshot? I always ask for key factors that impact battery life and base my conclusions on that. I will never compare a heavy, full brightness LTE user to my light usage pattern, because like I said, I frequently use my Xʀ with heavier usage patterns and they can obviously never match my lighter usage patterns.

Also, as intended? So there is a right way to use an iPhone and a wrong one?

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Found one more: https://wccftech.com/ios-17-beta-1-and-ios-16-5-speed-test-comparison-on-iphone/ They found that while there were some minor stutters and delays on devices like the iPhone XR running iOS 17 beta 1, the overall performance was similar between the two iOS versions. This suggests that while new iOS versions might introduce some hiccups initially (possibly due to being in the beta phase), the general performance does not significantly degrade.
The first one shows benchmarks (which don’t represent reality like I said earlier), and the second compares iOS 17 beta 1 with... iOS 16.5. Compare it with the original version or the test is misleading, and even then, it shows slowness and lag.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lag happened for some people on the Xs. You can say it’s fair, whatever you need to convince yourself that software-induced obliterations are okay.

No it would not. A benchmark won’t show performance loss and a benchmark will definitely not show battery life loss.

This is false.

They don’t. I’m glad a battery replacement made it usable again for you (note that I’ve never disputed that battery replacements help if the device is degraded enough and updated far enough). But I am completely sure that it can’t match an iPhone XS Max on iOS 12.

You proved nothing.

I feel a little insulted, you think I cannot interpret a screenshot? I always ask for key factors that impact battery life and base my conclusions on that. I will never compare a heavy, full brightness LTE user to my light usage pattern, because like I said, I frequently use my Xʀ with heavier usage patterns and they can obviously never match my lighter usage patterns.

Also, as intended? So there is a right way to use an iPhone and a wrong one?
Really have to come up with something objective rather than a dismissive this is false. Bottom line you’re wrong about everything. I was able to show proof of my claims and especially lag and stutter in original release of software.

You have failed to disprove anything expect with some dismissive wording. Ergo you’re wrong about it all.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Really have to come up with something objective rather than a dismissive this is false. Bottom line you’re wrong about everything. I was able to show proof of my claims and especially lag and stutter in original release of software.

You have failed to disprove anything expect with some dismissive wording. Ergo you’re wrong about it all.
Whatever you say to convince yourself that your Xs Max is just as good on iOS 17 as it was on iOS 12.

You know, I actually don’t dislike or disagree with that opinion. I do think that this is a case in which ignorance is bliss. I would actually recommend everyone who chooses to update as far as iOS devices will go to never track, check, or otherwise care about battery life at all.

It’s very funny, but like I have often stated, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro was forced from iOS 9 to iOS 12. Had I never tracked battery life, iOS 12 is close enough to iOS 9 that I am actually unsure whether I’d know the exact extent of iOS 12’s degradation, especially considering that performance is almost perfect on iOS 12.

I’d be so much happier about my 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s increased compatibility (compatibility which I’ve appreciated as I’ve been able to use my iPad for more things than I would’ve had I kept it on iOS 9, I’ve downloaded apps I wouldn’t have been able to download if I hadn’t been forced to update), and I’m honestly pretty convinced about this: battery life is good enough on iOS 12. Good enough for what? Good enough for me to underestimate the difference when compared to iOS 9 if I hadn’t tracked it through the device’s entire lifespan. Good enough for it to be completely usable, and I’ll go further: good enough to have the same positive experience I had on iOS 9, even if it is significantly worse.

In practical terms, I’d be better off being ignorant about this difference. I want to be extremely clear about this: ignorance here is positive and this is in no way any sort of criticism. I wish I were ignorant about this. Like I said, I’d be happier with my device, and ultimately that’s the only thing that matters. Who cares if battery life is worse as long as you’re happy with it.

Am I happy with my 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s battery life? It depends. Can I factor in the knowledge that iPadOS 16 obliterated it to about 5 hours instead of the 10-11 hours I get on iOS 12? If I can, the answer is yes. On absolute terms, the answer is no: Apple forced an update which reduced it by 3-3.5 hours. But if I didn’t know about that 3, 3.5-hour reduction, I don’t think I’d notice the difference, especially now: too much time has passed. The last battery cycle on iOS 9 on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro was on September 15th, 2019. I would’ve noticed a reduction probably, but I’m pretty sure I’d have underestimated the numbers.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Whatever you say to convince yourself that your Xs Max is just as good on iOS 17 as it was on iOS 12.

You know, I actually don’t dislike or disagree with that opinion. I do think that this is a case in which ignorance is bliss. I would actually recommend everyone who chooses to update as far as iOS devices will go to never track, check, or otherwise care about battery life at all.

It’s very funny, but like I have often stated, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro was forced from iOS 9 to iOS 12. Had I never tracked battery life, iOS 12 is close enough to iOS 9 that I am actually unsure whether I’d know the exact extent of iOS 12’s degradation, especially considering that performance is almost perfect on iOS 12.

I’d be so much happier about my 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s increased compatibility (compatibility which I’ve appreciated as I’ve been able to use my iPad for more things than I would’ve had I kept it on iOS 9, I’ve downloaded apps I wouldn’t have been able to download if I hadn’t been forced to update), and I’m honestly pretty convinced about this: battery life is good enough on iOS 12. Good enough for what? Good enough for me to underestimate the difference when compared to iOS 9 if I hadn’t tracked it through the device’s entire lifespan. Good enough for it to be completely usable, and I’ll go further: good enough to have the same positive experience I had on iOS 9, even if it is significantly worse.

In practical terms, I’d be better off being ignorant about this difference. I want to be extremely clear about this: ignorance here is positive and this is in no way any sort of criticism. I wish I were ignorant about this. Like I said, I’d be happier with my device, and ultimately that’s the only thing that matters. Who cares if battery life is worse as long as you’re happy with it.

Am I happy with my 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s battery life? It depends. Can I factor in the knowledge that iPadOS 16 obliterated it to about 5 hours instead of the 10-11 hours I get on iOS 12? If I can, the answer is yes. On absolute terms, the answer is no: Apple forced an update which reduced it by 3-3.5 hours. But if I didn’t know about that 3, 3.5-hour reduction, I don’t think I’d notice the difference, especially now: too much time has passed. The last battery cycle on iOS 9 on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro was on September 15th, 2019. I would’ve noticed a reduction probably, but I’m pretty sure I’d have underestimated the numbers.
I’m happy you are happy in your iOS 12 bubble. Just please don’t promulgate the false narrative about iOS releases slowing down the iPhone along with lag etc. or, come up with some proof of a study or even a YouTube video. If you want to believe that iOS updates slow down a phone; have a field day. But it’s not true. (!save for 32 bit devices)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’m happy you are happy in your iOS 12 bubble. Just please don’t promulgate the false narrative about iOS releases slowing down the iPhone along with lag etc. or, come up with some proof of a study or even a YouTube video. If you want to believe that iOS updates slow down a phone; have a field day. But it’s not true. (!save for 32 bit devices)
It’s not a false narrative. If there’s someone throwing false narratives here, it’s you, with your inexplicable and utterly false claim of “newer devices being equal regardless of how many times you push that update button”.

You can defend iOS updates without spouting falsehoods, you know. The argument is very simple: “I believe the compatibility and security advantages on A12 devices and newer far outweigh the performance and battery life impact from iOS updates”. That’s reasonable. That’s subjective, of course, but if you were to say “that’s true for me”, I wouldn’t disagree. What you’re saying is neither reasonable nor true.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
okay then prove it. You can’t because it’s a false narrative. Anecdotal evidence are not facts.
Waiting for you to shift the goalposts again when the A15 on the 13 Pro Max is better than the A12 a few versions in.

Also, share a screenshot.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So the hyperbole now shifts to some future event. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
No hyperbole, it’s what you said.
Of what my iPhone 15pm?
You know of what. A battery life screenshot of your Xs Max on iOS 17. If it’s so good, you should be able to show it.

It would admittedly be very funny if you were to share a screenshot of a 15 Pro Max, considering it has to be on its original iOS version, since the latest version is iOS 17.

I don’t doubt that the battery life of an iPhone 15 Pro Max is astonishingly good, at least for now. (And the foreseeable future. It probably has a few more years of great battery life).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No hyperbole, it’s what you said.
What I said was the a12 and future generations don’t get “obliterated” by iOS updates.
You know of what. A battery life screenshot of your Xs Max on iOS 17. If it’s so good, you should be able to show it.

It would admittedly be very funny if you were to share a screenshot of a 15 Pro Max, considering it has to be on its original iOS version, since the latest version is iOS 17.

I don’t doubt that the battery life of an iPhone 15 Pro Max is astonishingly good, at least for now. (And the foreseeable future. It probably has a few more years of great battery life).
Beloved max is now history. All I have are fond memories of flawless performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.