Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I just want to mention that I have a 6th gen iPad bought new in 2018. Originally came with iOS 11.3. Currently it is running the latest version of iOS 17. I see no difference in functionality or battery life with iOS 17. It's still smooth and quick and battery life is still good.

And your iPad is three generations newer than mine.

That may be perhaps that I simply use mine to browse news apps at night for at most 2-3 hours. Aside from that, it gets little use.
Similar. I don’t notice much performance difference. Despite having an M1 iPad Pro, I still use my iPad 6 for occasional — if it’s handier at the moment -- Web browsing, checking work schedule, checking email, messaging, etc plus some turn-based games. Sure, Web browsing has become clunky, laggy but that’s because the Web is increasingly a jam-packed cesspool of aggressive advertising; and Dice with Buddies is pokey though that’s always been the case.

Reactions: eyoungren

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Can’t Apple just say “we allow it but you’re on your own, we provide no support whatsoever”?
Y-e-s… but also no. It would be a PR and support nightmare. Basically, it’s a contradictory statement. In other words, it’s like saying, “There’s a swing set available, but it might break during use, possibly causing injury or death. If it does, a fix may be expensive or impossible. So don’t ask us for help if that happens."

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Y-e-s… but also no. It would be a PR and support nightmare. Basically, it’s a contradictory statement. In other words, it’s like saying, “There’s a swing set available, but it might break during use, possibly causing injury or death. If it does, a fix may be expensive or impossible. So don’t ask us for help if that happens."

Why does Apple allow macOS to downgrade but not iOS? I’ve not heard of fire, famine, or other support disasters from allowing that.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is totally fine. Like I’ve repeatedly stated, updating is merely a trade. You trade performance and battery life for features and compatibility. How willing is everyone to make this trade? Well, it depends on the user.

This isn’t my experience, but alright.

Funny wording, “Not necessarily”. Agreed, if the device isn’t updated far enough. This is false if you update through enough major iOS versions, and this is false for every iOS device that’s ever been updated far enough.
I understand the bolded is your anecdotal experience. But I've proved it is not the same across the board for everybody. Not necessarily is a hedge meaning YMMV. Degraded can mean anything and think this is more semantics than anything else. Degraded can mean .05% or can mean 50%.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Why does Apple allow macOS to downgrade but not iOS? I’ve not heard of fire, famine, or other support disasters from allowing that.
macOS runs on Macs with more resources and a user base that often requires specific older versions for certain tasks or compatibility reasons. Also, Mac users generally expect a bit more control over their system. There are 10s of millions of macOS devices used worldwide.

iOS, on the other hand, is all about security and uniformity. Apple wants to keep all iOS devices on the latest, most secure version to avoid security risks and fragmentation in the ecosystem. There's about 1 billion iOS devices worldwide.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
macOS runs on Macs with more resources and a user base that often requires specific older versions for certain tasks or compatibility reasons. Also, Mac users generally expect a bit more control over their system. There are 10s of millions of macOS devices used worldwide.

iOS, on the other hand, is all about security and uniformity. Apple wants to keep all iOS devices on the latest, most secure version to avoid security risks and fragmentation in the ecosystem. There's about 1 billion iOS devices worldwide.

I agree with some of the points you made, but none of that stops Apple from allowing iOS downgrades with appropriate disclaimers.

There are similar commercial or industrial users that prefer old iOS versions because the apps they use may not be updated with the same frequency as Apple would like.

Apple encourages uniformity and security on macOS as well. That's why iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS updates all launch at the same time. If anything, the larger base of active iOS devices to me, might suggest more users would appreciate a downgrade option.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I will say that with ARM chips rapidly advancing, early on it wasn't uncommon for a phone to just become obsolete quickly and that is why the phone carriers' two-year upgrade schemes worked so well. Annedoctedly, since about 2018 I've noticed people don't upgrade their phones as much. Not sure if it's because of how the carriers work or if the actual phones are just that much better. I would say my iPhone 11 is by far and a way the best phone I have ever owned.

Reactions: pdoherty

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
While I agree with the assessment by the op, I do think that smart phones and computers behave differently from other gadgets we surround ourselves with.

When my washing machine is 10 years old it still performs similarly to how it did when it was new. Same with TVs, wall clocks, speakers etc.

Phones have not followed that pattern. Due to software and hardware upgrades they date quicker.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Apple was sued and admitted in court that they throttled old phones. Therefore, it’s a provable fact, not a myth.

Now were they motivated to do so in order subtly trick people in buying a newer model iPhone when they otherwise wouldn’t have?

They claimed that they did it to make sure their users had a better experience with aging hardware. However, they also lied when claiming that every phone experienced the same antenna issue that the iPhone 4 did. In fact, the reception problem was caused by a mechanism unique to the iPhone 4 and was measuresbly worse than any other manufacturer’s models as reported by a third party company at the time.

They also had internal communications where they saw restricting iMessage to iPhones as a way to boost iPhone sales, since any Android users who want blue bubbles would have to buy an iPhone. Hence Tim Cook telling a customer to just buy their grandma an iPhone.

Apple executives have shown themselves to be petty, immoral people. So, yes, I would argue that throttling the performance of older devices was at least partially motivated by driving the sale of new iPhones.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I was speaking to the disclaimer type/wording more than OS upgrading/downgrading.

I am not opposed to allowing installation of previous OS versions, including iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or watchOS. And there are instances I have strongly wanted that ability — most recently the (initial) move to watchOS 10. However, I chose to “upgrade” (i.e., considered the benefits and disadvantages before doing so). And even with unforeseen hindrances, most often, my conclusion still holds. With that said, I am against companies hounding users to install the latest software -- both Apple, with notification alerts and difficult/impossible to clear app badges, and M$, having a double prompt to decline Windows upgrade every several (re)starts, come to mind. Ignoring the hounding, many users don’t care or are completely oblivious to software upgrades, completely content on using their devices/gadgets as is. Therefore, I’ll say it’s not so much a problem of not being able to roll back but (indeed) being nagged to move forward — an initial message/flier/ad promoting an “upgrade” is okay, IMO.

Your view that every Apple decision is inherently customer-focused, no matter what, falls into circular logic. It's an unchallengeable stance where even extraordinary margins or profit-driven choices are spun as 'for the customer.' Reality is more complex. Apple's success isn't just about customer service; it's also about smart business tactics and profit strategies. Recognizing this isn't dismissing their focus on customers, but acknowledging the multifaceted nature of their business operations.
And it’s due to people’s lack of grasping complexity that causes comprehension problems. For example, Apple’s “green” claim for removing err no longer including chargers/“power bricks” with iPhones as being a simple, heartless money grab. In reality, the logical perception is Apple does care (somewhat) about the environment crisis, advertising about being eco-friendly is beneficial to their image, and, yes, it does trim their expenses. In other words, the decision could have legitimately been primarily environmentally focused but the fact it helps profits was an extra motivator.

Circling back to the subject… Apple (and many companies) don’t need to or choose to (aggressively) partake in planned obsolesce. Instead, it’s about feature advancement/addition enticements. It’s difficult to find a survey of iPhone purchased data — actually purchased, not simply polls about what users plan/intend. However, I was able to locate this:

Impressively, that means Apple’s most expensive models are grabbing more share of sales than before.

In closing, CIRP notes that Apple’s premium models selling strongly translate to Apple’s profit margins being higher. And there appears to be a trend that “Most customers upgrade from previous iPhones to premium models, while Apple captures switchers from Android and first-time buyers with older, less costly models.”

The MR forum seems to at least somewhat confirm more people are opting for the “Pro” iPhone models.

Lastly, some of these stats are interesting (and telling):

5. iPhone users spend a full working week on their phones every week.​

(Source: Solitaired)

If the average work week is 40 hours, then iPhone users spend just as much time on their phones as they do working. Data taken from 667 iPhone users over 5 days found they were active for 39 hours and 54 minutes. Of course, this includes time spent on the device while at work, but it’s an incredible amount of time to be staring at a screen.

6. 72% of all iPhones are running iOS 16.​

(Source: 9to5Mac – iOS Usage)

Apple recently shared data about its iOS operating system and completed iPhone updates. 92% of all iPhones are using the latest iOS 16 (72%) or previous iOS 15 (20%). This jumps to 96% when only counting iPhones released in the past 4 years.
Apple is much more effective at keeping its users up to date, but that’s because it has more control over handsets than Android, which has to work with different smartphone makers from Samsung on down.

7. The average lifespan of an iPhone is just over 4 years.​

(Source: Asymco)

Based on the number of devices sold versus the number of active devices in use, it’s believed the average lifespan of an iPhone is four years and three months. Even if their device lasts longer, most people upgrade anyway.

8. Approximately 88% of Apple product owners have an iPhone.​

(Source: 9to5Mac – Apple Ownership)

The iPhone is the most popular product made by Apple. 88% of Apple customers own one, followed by 73% for the iPad, 58% for the Apple Watch, and 50% for Mac computers and laptops.

Furthermore, 60% of Apple customers own three or four devices. Of those that own just one Apple device, 59% own an iPhone. Apple users are some of the most loyal in the tech market.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
I agree with some of the points you made, but none of that stops Apple from allowing iOS downgrades with appropriate disclaimers.

There are similar commercial or industrial users that prefer old iOS versions because the apps they use may not be updated with the same frequency as Apple would like.

Apple encourages uniformity and security on macOS as well. That's why iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS updates all launch at the same time. If anything, the larger base of active iOS devices to me, might suggest more users would appreciate a downgrade option.
Apple's "walled garden" approach is key to understanding their stance on iOS downgrades. Allowing downgrades exposes users to security risks from older, vulnerable iOS versions. The effort to support multiple versions for the vast number of iOS users is a significant resource and cost challenge. Additionally, Apple aims for a uniform user experience, which would be disrupted by version fragmentation.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Not a lot of sense in intentionally making performance on older iPhones slower as most of them do it on their own as a consequence of key hardware specs being really bad.

The mid-tier iPhones only got 6GB of RAM with iPhone 14, and the Pros only jumping to 8GB for iPhone 15.

Apologists will say iOS is so optimized that you don’t need more than 4GB.

But considering what we’re increasingly doing in apps and on the web, with more and more visual, high def audio, gaming, etc., the 4GB of RAM on your older iPhone will most certainly be the main culprit holding it back from running the latest iOS and high end apps smoothly, not the SoC or the slower wireless radios, aging batteries.

No need to manipulate our experience using iOS to be slower if the (not user-upgradable) hardware already does it so well.

Like, iPad 10, released in 2022, legitimately can’t run Final Cut Pro for iPad because of its super low specs.

When Apple has been releasing so many under-spec’ed, overpriced devices for so many years, why would it need to also go out of its way to obsolete these devices through software?

Every new SoC has been a good improvement over the last. But that doesn’t mean a lot when the rest of the specs are so poor.
I’m going to go with the middle ground on this.

There is a point where old is too old. My 5 year old iPad 6 running a recent OS heats up easily and it barely has enough RAM to keep tabs open for a couple of years now. My 4 year old iPhone 11 is seeing RAM limitations too over the last year. It’s like 3 years is the point where things get far enough for hardware to struggle.

But because OS and software updates over the years means we need more RAM over time. If they weren’t stingy with the RAM then hardware will have legs to go on.

This isnt planned obsolescence, it’s just hardware being too old and inadequate.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Why? “Apple has silently signed every iOS version ever”, complete silence by Apple. They throttled processors by 60% silently, they sure can sign an iOS version without advertising it. Just say nothing.

“Hello Apple support, I want to downgrade my iPhone” “downgrading? What’s that? Update to the latest version always!”, while signing every version.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I understand the bolded is your anecdotal experience. But I've proved it is not the same across the board for everybody. Not necessarily is a hedge meaning YMMV. Degraded can mean anything and think this is more semantics than anything else. Degraded can mean .05% or can mean 50%.
Yeah, your comment is not reality. I wish it were, but it isn’t.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’m going to go with the middle ground on this.

There is a point where old is too old. My 5 year old iPad 6 running a recent OS heats up easily and it barely has enough RAM to keep tabs open for a couple of years now. My 4 year old iPhone 11 is seeing RAM limitations too over the last year. It’s like 3 years is the point where things get far enough for hardware to struggle.

But because OS and software updates over the years means we need more RAM over time. If they weren’t stingy with the RAM then hardware will have legs to go on.

This isnt planned obsolescence, it’s just hardware being too old and inadequate.
But why should it be too old? Just install iOS 12 on the 6th-gen iPad and I guarantee it won’t heat up and will run infinitely better.

It doesn’t need to be too old. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro runs great on iOS 12 in terms of performance, and it is older than your 6th-gen iPad.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Apple's "walled garden" approach is key to understanding their stance on iOS downgrades. Allowing downgrades exposes users to security risks from older, vulnerable iOS versions. The effort to support multiple versions for the vast number of iOS users is a significant resource and cost challenge. Additionally, Apple aims for a uniform user experience, which would be disrupted by version fragmentation.
Don’t support them. Like I said earlier, nobody asks Apple for support on this. Just sign them. You can’t install an app? Update. You can’t update an app? Update. Browser is too incompatible for you? Update. Apple shouldn’t care about issues caused by iOS versions being too old. Nobody is asking them to. Just allow me to install them and don’t help me ever again.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
You do realize that most people don't keep a phone for as long as a car, right?

The people in my country keep their cars for 10-15 years. So no, I don’t have such a realisation. Even if they do, the reasons why they keep cars as long as their phones are different.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Oh I believe your observations reflect your reality. They just don’t align to the reality at large.
I’ve repeatedly stated that I value performance and battery life perhaps more than the average user. If a fully updated device were degraded by 0.05%, I wouldn’t even notice, because it obviously falls within the margin of variability.

Funnily enough, I’ve found that battery life is extremely consistent. Not only is battery life consistent over time regardless of health (which is why I say battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated far enough), but I’ve found that with the same usage, there’s almost no variability.

One example: with my usage, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro gets 2h 40 min of screen-on time from 100% until 80%. This is almost always the same, and I’ve found that the variability on that is negligible (say, with a margin of error of ~ +/- 5 min). It’s the same thing with my iPhone Xʀ. Obviously, heavier usage will alter that, but with the same usage, battery life is extremely consistent. I obviously pay attention to this, and because it was as consistent on iOS 9, I am able to confidently say exactly how much battery life I lost. The variability from 100% to 0% is obviously a little higher than 5 minutes, but with the same usage, I’d say it doesn’t even get to one hour.

A user who does not use a device consistently will obviously not experience this, but should you maintain settings (brightness primarily), and use the same apps, I reckon battery life would be consistent for any device, on any iOS version. This makes it extremely easy to determine battery life loss due to updates.

It’s obviously easier if you don’t track it and therefore don’t know what the difference is, which I reckon is the case for many who deny that iOS updates decrease battery life, including your case. There is absolutely no way that any A12 Bionic iPhone has the same battery life on iOS 17 than iOS 12, but I obviously cannot tell you what the exact degradation is because I haven’t tried an iPhone Xʀ on iOS 17.

Amusingly, I do think that this is a case in which ignorance is bliss: if you keep devices for years and you know you will update as far as it goes, you’re better off never tracking battery life anyway. I’ve repeatedly stated that due to a massive increase in original battery life, updated devices are far more usable than they were (a 13 Pro Max is rated for 28 hours of SOT. Even a 50% obliteration eventually wouldn’t be enough to make it unusable. A 50% reduction - which is even lower than what actually happened - on an iPhone 6s would make it unusable), so while users may obviously notice a 50% reduction, they may say “it’s still usable for me”.

Do note that you’re one of the very few people who inexplicably denies that iOS updates reduce battery life, yet you consistently refuse to share a battery life screenshot of your Xs Max on iOS 17. Not only do you deny the undeniable, but I also think that deep down you know your Xs Max isn’t as good as it was on iOS 12. I think I’d agree with your argument a lot more if it were closer to reality instead of a total fantasy, maybe something like “my Xs Max has seen a degradation after five major updates, due to increased power consumption, features, and concurrency, but it’s totally usable for me”.

“A12 devices onwards weren’t degraded at all” is complete nonsense and you know it.

You’ve historically defended Apple regardless of the argument (you have comments on the thread you linked about the Xs stutters defending Apple with very similar arguments), so perhaps you’re secretly Tim Cook?

Funnily enough, you also defended Apple back when the 6s was the one that was being degraded, and you denied that too. Will you keep shifting the goalposts as Apple keeps degrading devices? Now it’s A12, maybe tomorrow it’s A14?

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
The thing is, you don't need to PLAN for obsolescence in a segment where features are bounded by Moore's Law and powered by lithium batteries. Obsolescence happens naturally as battery degrades, comparable chips get more powerful and software expands to make use of that power, all on an 18 month cycle.

Even slowing this effect takes a crap ton of engineering. These are after sales costs and are potentially infinite, so all manufacturers put a sunset date on support. Apple officially supports their phones for 5 years, Samsung for 4 and Google for "3 or more."

Anecdotally, I know a lot more people who are using obscenely out of date iPhones than anything else. Which means at the very least, the mechanical and physical design stand the test of time. These devices work, and look good, long past the point where they are modern.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’ve repeatedly stated that I value performance and battery life perhaps more than the average user. If a fully updated device were degraded by 0.05%, I wouldn’t even notice, because it obviously falls within the margin of variability.

Funnily enough, I’ve found that battery life is extremely consistent. Not only is battery life consistent over time regardless of health (which is why I say battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated far enough), but I’ve found that with the same usage, there’s almost no variability.

One example: with my usage, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro gets 2h 40 min of screen-on time from 100% until 80%. This is almost always the same, and I’ve found that the variability on that is negligible (say, with a margin of error of ~ +/- 5 min). It’s the same thing with my iPhone Xʀ. Obviously, heavier usage will alter that, but with the same usage, battery life is extremely consistent. I obviously pay attention to this, and because it was as consistent on iOS 9, I am able to confidently say exactly how much battery life I lost. The variability from 100% to 0% is obviously a little higher than 5 minutes, but with the same usage, I’d say it doesn’t even get to one hour.

A user who does not use a device consistently will obviously not experience this, but should you maintain settings (brightness primarily), and use the same apps, I reckon battery life would be consistent for any device, on any iOS version. This makes it extremely easy to determine battery life loss due to updates.

It’s obviously easier if you don’t track it and therefore don’t know what the difference is, which I reckon is the case for many who deny that iOS updates decrease battery life, including your case. There is absolutely no way that any A12 Bionic iPhone has the same battery life on iOS 17 than iOS 12, but I obviously cannot tell you what the exact degradation is because I haven’t tried an iPhone Xʀ on iOS 17.

Amusingly, I do think that this is a case in which ignorance is bliss: if you keep devices for years and you know you will update as far as it goes, you’re better off never tracking battery life anyway. I’ve repeatedly stated that due to a massive increase in original battery life, updated devices are far more usable than they were (a 13 Pro Max is rated for 28 hours of SOT. Even a 50% obliteration eventually wouldn’t be enough to make it unusable. A 50% reduction - which is even lower than what actually happened - on an iPhone 6s would make it unusable), so while users may obviously notice a 50% reduction, they may say “it’s still usable for me”.

Do note that you’re one of the very few people who inexplicably denies that iOS updates reduce battery life, yet you consistently refuse to share a battery life screenshot of your Xs Max on iOS 17. Not only do you deny the undeniable, but I also think that deep down you know your Xs Max isn’t as good as it was on iOS 12. I think I’d agree with your argument a lot more if it were closer to reality instead of a total fantasy, maybe something like “my Xs Max has seen a degradation after five major updates, due to increased power consumption, features, and concurrency, but it’s totally usable for me”.

“A12 devices onwards weren’t degraded at all” is complete nonsense and you know it.

You’ve historically defended Apple regardless of the argument (you have comments on the thread you linked about the Xs stutters defending Apple with very similar arguments), so perhaps you’re secretly Tim Cook?

Funnily enough, you also defended Apple back when the 6s was the one that was being degraded, and you denied that too. Will you keep shifting the goalposts as Apple keeps degrading devices? Now it’s A12, maybe tomorrow it’s A14?
I'll give you this, you're steadfast in your consistent, unprovable and sometimes ridiculous claims about battery life, performance etc.

Making outlandish claims is easy when they really can't be measured accurately or require some mathematical gymnastics to determine performance. Or when you get facts incorrect, such as iphone 13 pro max rated for 28 hours of SOT. Can you show that on the apple website?

When you start customizing your usage of a phone to keep within the parameters of an aging battery, I don't understand the amount of brain power involved in such an exercise. Update and get a new battery as I have on my Max. It will basically make your phone operate as if it just came out of the box.

"IOS 12 on an a12 had no issues" - it took 1 minute to debunk this myth and that is what happens when generalized statements are made. I understand you had no issues on ios 12 out of the box and great for you. Others weren't so fortunate.

You haven't acknowledged that one youtube video I posted whereby an xs max was updated showed no statistical loss of performance because it would shoot holes in your incorrect opinions.

I did some research and this conversation has had a number of fallacies associated with the discussion on all sides - here for your amusement is how this discussion has gone:
  1. logical fallacies
  2. bandwagon fallacies
  3. false dilemma fallacy
  4. hasty generalization fallacy
  5. anecdotal evidence fallacy
  6. texas sharpshooter fallacy
  7. personal incredulity fallacy
But it's all good I don't want you to stop promulgating your disbeliefs - this is the internet after all.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
The thing is, you don't need to PLAN for obsolescence in a segment where features are bounded by Moore's Law and powered by lithium batteries. Obsolescence happens naturally as battery degrades, comparable chips get more powerful and software expands to make use of that power, all on an 18 month cycle.

Even slowing this effect takes a crap ton of engineering. These are after sales costs and are potentially infinite, so all manufacturers put a sunset date on support. Apple officially supports their phones for 5 years, Samsung for 4 and Google for "3 or more."

Anecdotally, I know a lot more people who are using obscenely out of date iPhones than anything else. Which means at the very least, the mechanical and physical design stand the test of time. These devices work, and look good, long past the point where they are modern.
It's quite impressive that you entirely failed to grasp the concepts discussed in this thread 👏🏼

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.