Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah, looks like a good upgrade, and what we should've gotten in 2013. But the price is outrageous, especially with that tiny SSD. 512 should be standard, they are expecting you to edit 8k with this and don't have the SSD space to store it
If you’re editing video on that thing, you’re editing it from an external drive.
[doublepost=1559613983][/doublepost]
But there are standard pci-e slots, so it sounds like you would be able to use other video cards?
I think that’s right. The proprietary is just an option.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Dell had a 30" OLED (new Apple 6K monitor is not OLED) 4K monitor with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio 2 years ago. A week or two ago they still had them in their Outlet store for $2,700 (all sold out now, however):

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...17q/apd/210-aiei/monitors-monitor-accessories
Yeah, unfortunately, 147PPI and 300 nits top brightness doesn’t get it done.

Don’t get me wrong, I own two Dell
Displays that I love (U2414H and a P2415Q), but this new Apple display is way past anything Dell, LG, NEC or Asus have at this point. Would like to see how this display compares to the EIZO ColorEdge CG319X, because the prices are very similar (~$5000-$6000).

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I wonder how expensive this thing will be. imac pro's 256gb ram upgrade is 5.6g Canadian...then it's only logical that 1.5tb ram upgrade will be ...astronomical. My personal guess is that a maxed out mac pro will be in the range of a price of a midtier Porsche.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
Exactly my point: most Mac Pro users don't care, and you're the tiny tiny percent who does care (and rightfully so) as your example shows. How many creative users (admittedly the immense majority of the Mac Pro users) would purchase a Mac Pro like the one you describe? Restricting the Mac Pro to Xeon/ECC at a massive overcost and not offering a choice is ridiculous. Those who do need it, know it and are highly unlikely to use a fancy Mac Pro anyway.

The first real editing suite I used cost 50000€ and was able to do real time video effects at a whopping 720x576 pixels, so I guess in retrospect, this Mac Pro is a bargain, but the market has shifted a lot, and I think consumers should get the choice.

Professionals have the choice of purchasing an iMac Pro, MacBook Pro or a Windows 10 workstation using the Core X-Series should they be so inclined. They can even build it themselves, should they really want to do that.

Sometimes I wonder why the MacBook Pro doesn’t use Xeon-E at this point...perhaps that would be a better idea as well.

Consumers have the choice of buying an iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air or MacBook OR they can buy a Windows 10-based consumer PC, of which the 2019 Mac Pro definitely is not.
[doublepost=1559615167][/doublepost]
I wonder how expensive this thing will be. imac pro's 256gb ram upgrade is 5.6g Canadian...then it's only logical that 1.5tb ram upgrade will be ...astronomical. My personal guess is that a maxed out mac pro will be in the range of a price of a midtier Porsche.

1.5TB of DRAM will be astronomical no matter your local currency.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
What a crock! If I have 128GB of DRAM, I’m a film editor who works on 4K day in/day out and that’s how I make money and pay my bills, I don’t want to waste time with an unstable system w/o ECC DRAM...you’re telling me that NO ONE outside the scientific community benefits from ECC DRAM on their system? I have to call BS.
You're sacrificing performance for error correction, and if your memory modules do have errors, you'd be better off replacing them, than living unknowingly with RAM that keeps on correcting those errors.

I've long had Mac Pros and Lenovo workstations, all of them with ECC, and eventually changed to normal RAM. Of course, feel free to spend more on ECC, encouraging Apple to keep on with their bad habits.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
With "most people" I mean most Mac Pro users. ECC is not required outside of scientific users, really, and certainly not creative users, video editors or anything like that. It's basically a huge tax for something that nobody will use.

I know some people will be able to use all the power in this. Creative users span quite a wide bracket of needs.

I wouldn’t mind one if I had the current budget but really if I am going all out on hardware I will get something that doesn’t make me wince every time i look at it. Worst Apple design ever.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Professionals have the choice of purchasing an iMac Pro, MacBook Pro or a Windows 10 workstation using the Core X-Series should they be so inclined. They can even build it themselves, should they really want to do that.

Sometimes I wonder why the MacBook Pro doesn’t use Xeon-E at this point...perhaps that would be a better idea as well.

Consumers have the choice of buying an iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air or MacBook OR they can buy a Windows 10-based consumer PC, of which the 2019 Mac Pro definitely is not.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't give consumers the choice to have any upgradeability, which is the crux of the matter. See how well that worked with the trashcan Mac Pro. While this one is infinitely better, it will prove itself three of four years down the road, when we see whether Apple keeps offering newer expansion modules (otherwise they are pointless and might as well solder them). If they do, this Mac Pro will be well worth it. If they don't, they might as well do only eGPU.

Reactions: Tesseract

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
You're sacrificing performance for error correction, and if your memory modules do have errors, you'd be better off replacing them, than living unknowingly with RAM that keeps on correcting those errors.

I've long had Mac Pros and Lenovo workstations, all of them with ECC, and eventually changed to normal RAM. Of course, feel free to spend more on ECC, encouraging Apple to keep on with their bad habits.
And Dell, HP, Lenovo, Boxx, Puget Systems, et al.

Reactions: ssgbryan

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
And Dell, HP, Lenovo, Boxx, Puget Systems, et al.
Yes. I used to have a Lenovo Thinkstation, with Xeon and ECC and have since decided to build instead. They are just as guilty as Apple in that regard, but in their case we have an easy choice. With Apple, it's either a completely locked system, with sub-par components mixed with stellar components (iMac) or a compromise across the board (Mac Mini). I see this Mac Pro selling very well at first, and then not well at all (although of course this will depend on who jumps on board. It's not 2008 anymore, when Apple had a decisive competitive advantage. Windows OS and Windows software has advanced a lot, while Apple has made some dubious choice in terms of software development.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
These Intel CPUs may be new, unannounced, but in-their-roadmap models from their Cascade Lake platform with the BGA socket:

https://wccftech.com/intel-xeon-roadmap-leak-10nm-ice-lake-sp-2020-sapphire-rapids-sp-2021/

That link has info about their future XEON roadmap. I was kind of hoping they could have gone for Cooper Lake, as it has the same socket as the Ice Lake generation coming after it, which does support PCIe 4.0.

Regardless, I think it's safe to say Apple has learned its lessons and will hopefully keep this new Mac Pro evolving with a new chipset every 1 or 2 XEON CPU generations from Intel.

While I'm a bit sad about the high pricing, I will likely still end up with one and the display + stand. One of these machines would pay for itself within 2 months of owning it.

I'd likely go for:

16-core XEON
48GB RAM
1TB SSD
1 x Vega II Duo
1 x Pro Display + Stand

I can only imagine that's going to set me back around $18,000 - $20,000 AUD!!!

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Again, for those in the back, these arent aimed at prosumers, almost everyone who's going to use these isnt paying for them themselves: they're either having their employer buy them or they're covering them out of business expenses if they run a small business.
Wait a second... I am running a small business. Still I can't justify to shell out that kind of money on a workstation. It doesn't make sense if your expenses eat up all your revenue. This Mac Pro will serve a very small niche in the market, who the average pro is not part of anymore. Apple still has nothing in their line-up that fits my business needs: a powerful and modular mid-range tower. Their pricing feels like rape. My 2017 15" MacBook Pro will be the last Mac I bought for the time being... Either I will switch platforms at some point or I will at least build Hackintoshs as an option... Never thought it would come to this one day.

Reactions: ssgbryan

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
While I'm a bit sad about the high pricing, I will likely still end up with one and the display + stand. One of these machines would pay for itself within 2 months of owning it.

Can you fill me in what you are doing for a living that it would pay for itself within 2 months? A 20k machine? Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can't imagine that in any job an investment like this would boost your productivity so much that you would make 10k more than before per month... If so, I truly want two switch profession.

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I found an answer to my own question! Promise Technology have created a 4x and 2x 3.5" hard drive dock for the Mac Pro. So excited- can put all my old HDDs in it!
https://www.promise.com/us/Promotion/PegasusStorage
Untitled.jpg

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
The keyboard looked different to me on one video I saw.
Looks like the traditional silver aluminum chassis, but with the keys from the Space Grey Magic Keyboard. I have yet to find a good shot of it online.
[doublepost=1559656754][/doublepost]
6k USD for

• RX580
  • 32GB RAM
  • 8 Cores
  • 256GB SSD
  • an ASIC
  • a fancy enclosure nobody really cares about

Seriously? that spec is worth HALF of that, if that.

[doublepost=1559647037][/doublepost]

Very much doubt it.

The Xeon W's listed here - https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/ - are the ones mentioned in this article - https://wccftech.com/intel-core-x-next-gen-cascade-lake-x-hedt-cpu-fall-2019-launch/

The same thing happened when Apple teased the specs for the iMac Pro at WWDC 2017 and Intel did not announce the (then brand new line of) Xeon W CPUs until late August.

Once Intel does release this new crop of Xeon-W's that will be inside the new Mac Pro, why don't you go build one and find out if you can do it for half the cost and let us know?

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Looks like the traditional silver aluminum chassis, but with the keys from the Space Grey Magic Keyboard. I have yet to find a good shot of it online.
[doublepost=1559656754][/doublepost]

The Xeon W's listed here - https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/ - are the ones mentioned in this article - https://wccftech.com/intel-core-x-next-gen-cascade-lake-x-hedt-cpu-fall-2019-launch/

The same thing happened when Apple teased the specs for the iMac Pro at WWDC 2017 and Intel did not announce the (then brand new line of) Xeon W CPUs until late August.

Once Intel does release this new crop of Xeon-W's that will be inside the new Mac Pro, why don't you go build one and find out if you can do it for half the cost and let us know?
Re:keyboard—yes—That’s how I saw it.

Jonathan Morrison has a YouTube video with a first look and he mentions it.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
Can you fill me in what you are doing for a living that it would pay for itself within 2 months? A 20k machine? Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can't imagine that in any job an investment like this would boost your productivity so much that you would make 10k more than before per month... If so, I truly want two switch profession.

Based on what he described purchasing, he's going to be closer to $15K than $20K, but I digress.

There are many professions where every ounce of speed counts.

The ability to be able to edit ProRes RAW footage without transcoding or proxying will be well worth the money if this is his profession. If he captures 4K ProRes RAW directly to an Atomos Ninja V or Shogun Inferno, he can simply move the SSD from the Atoms to the Mac Pro, backup to HDD and/or copy to his edit drives and start editing. That's a huge advantage, if the end user is use the supported workflow.

Bohemien

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2019
Germany
In the tradition of the cheese grater Mac Pro, the new Colander Mac Pro has arrived!!!

I'd have preferred Colani design over Colander design... :D

Boy, that thing looks ugly in the photos. Would have to see it on a desk though to have a final opinion.

Definitely a "pro" machine, looks like a serious number cruncher. And the noise level of an iMac Pro with the processing power of a much more expensive Workstation sounds cool.

But I can't help thinking "seriously-they have been designing this thing since 2013 and THIS is what they come up with after all the fuzz?"... Looks like just the logical next step after the cheese grater. I wonder if that thing at least has some secret capabilities like linking 10+ units together to a supercomputing cluster or something along these lines...

Reactions: Beachguy

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Wait a second... I am running a small business. Still I can't justify to shell out that kind of money on a workstation. It doesn't make sense if your expenses eat up all your revenue. This Mac Pro will serve a very small niche in the market, who the average pro is not part of anymore. Apple still has nothing in their line-up that fits my business needs: a powerful and modular mid-range tower. Their pricing feels like rape. My 2017 15" MacBook Pro will be the last Mac I bought for the time being... Either I will switch platforms at some point or I will at least build Hackintoshs as an option... Never thought it would come to this one day.

I’m going to bet if you can do your work just fine on a 15” MBP you probably arent the target for this machine either. As far as small businesses go I know plenty of independent photographers and such who carry around a lot more than $6k in gear already, they’ll purchase this and write it off as an expense. As far as larger companies go... As I mentioned before it’s not, for example, something I’m going to be requesting at work, I dont need it, my heavy lifting is done on remote machines (which, BTW, cost *far* more/month than this MP costs for a one time purchase), but I imagine some of our designers will.

This is a high end workstation, Apple isnt selling a midrange tower anymore. It sucks for a lot of us that want that midrange tower, but it doesnt mean this is totally ridiculous as a high end workstation.

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
The system runs without error, because ECC fixes the error tens of thousands of times per day.

Tens of thousand of times a day? I mean, seriously where are you living? In the containment of a nuclear plant? If that were true what you state, each ordinary computer without ECC RAM would crash at least a hundred times per day due to memory errors.

Actually, since at least recoverable RAM errors are logged by the operating system, I have some real facts about how often my former MP 3,1 had such kind off error, because I actually checked the logs on a regular basis, because I was curious about that ECC thing and how effective it actually is.

And now, guess how many times I had such a log entry (i.e. recoverable ECC error) during the nearly 6 years I used my 3,1?

One time. ONE time. Thats all. So my take is that ECC RAM is just overrated and not THAT important if your type of work is not REALLY mission critical.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
Tens of thousand of times a day? I mean, seriously where are you living? In the containment of a nuclear plant? If that were true what you state, each ordinary computer without ECC RAM would crash at least a hundred times per day due to memory errors.

Actually, since at least recoverable RAM errors are logged by the operating system, I have some real facts about how often my former MP 3,1 had such kind off error, because I actually checked the logs on a regular basis, because I was curious about that ECC thing and how effective it actually is.

And now, guess how many times I had such a log entry (i.e. recoverable ECC error) during the nearly 6 years I used my 3,1?

One time. ONE time. Thats all. So my take is that ECC RAM is just overrated and not THAT important if your type of work is not REALLY mission critical.

For how much DRAM in your 3,1? 32GB? @AidenShaw stated that it was a box with 72c/144t and 1.5 TB of DRAM, which is 48x as much DRAM and 48-32GB DIMMS, which is probably 12x as many DIMMs as you have in your system. When stuff breaks on enterprise equipment and it can, no matter how much you seem to research, justify, research more and end up getting budget for, when it does, it's a headache to track down. At least with ECC, you have a chance...it always helps if the DIMM slot has a fault LED next to it, but I digress.

Reactions: seek3r

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Well, my 3,1 actually had only 16GB of RAM, so yeah that's a point. But still, even with 1.5TB of RAM you won't looking at "tens of thousands" of RAM errors each day, surely not. And I also said that this of course makes sense for really mission critical work. But again, ONE recoverable error in six years - thats not that much, right?

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
You might want to share that with AMD - all of their CPUs can use ECC memory. They think your data is important.
Whether you can and whether people do are two different things. Most people do not use ECC memory because the cost versus benefit doesn’t make sense for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.