Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Source or cite? Or is this just your guess?

Other sources are guessing there WILL be a M3 Mini in March.
It's March madness and the new M3 MBAs are out. Apple don't historically release partial product lines in the same month independent of one another. It's not what is said so much as what isn't.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
And also even more ancient desktop demise prophecies )
Sales of desktop computers have been going down. And for computers (not smartphones/tablets) in general.

However Apple needs mini even if it's a low profit business coz it's the cheapest and the most affordable device for their macOS and they need to enlarge their user base.

Macintosh line as a whole seems to have continued on the past few years better than other companies' lines. And the Mac Mini is really a small market compared to the MacBook. The MacBook is the primary Mac product now.

I propose that Apple could drop the Mac Mini entirely and see a barely measurable dent in their bottom line.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Sales of desktop computers have been going down. And for computers (not smartphones/tablets) in general.

Macintosh line as a whole seems to have continued on the past few years better than other companies' lines. And the Mac Mini is really a small market compared to the MacBook. The MacBook is the primary Mac product now.

I propose that Apple could drop the Mac Mini entirely and see a barely measurable dent in their bottom line.
Mac Mini is by far the best computer Apple makes or ever has made. They would be 100% INSANE if they dropped it. This is my opinion and I approve it!

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Well its pretty obvious that releasing the M3 mac mini before the Studio M3 would kneecap sales of the latter, if its not low already ... and they cant release an M3 max studio until the M3 ultra version is ready, can they ? so it probably depends on the M3 ultra release date imho

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Well its pretty obvious that releasing the M3 mac mini before the Studio M3 would kneecap sales of the latter, if its not low already ... and they cant release an M3 max studio until the M3 ultra version is ready, can they ? so it probably depends on the M3 ultra release date imho
That’s not been the case in the past.

M2 Mini was release in Jan 2023. M2 Studio was release in June 2023.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
That’s not been the case in the past.

M2 Mini was release in Jan 2023. M2 Studio was release in June 2023.
Yes, thats true, but its a dumb idea and they may want to compress that from 5 months to a little less this time. Maybe 3 months ? We will see. Personally I would release the new mac mini at the same time... but that depends on the ultra m3 availability

Reactions: jazz1

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I don't think Apple is going to update Mac Mini with every M* iteration, and it's OK. They could easily skip M2 Mac Minis too, should there had been MM M1 Pro. The performance difference wasn't that much to bother. If there is nothing revolutionary, they could update MM every other Apple Silicon gen, IMO.

So yeah... No new M3 Mac Minis. Game Over. )

Reactions: Chuckeee

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I don't think Apple is going to update Mac Mini with every M* iteration, and it's OK. They could easily skip M2 Mac Minis too, should there had been MM M1 Pro. The performance difference wasn't that much to bother. If there is nothing revolutionary, they could update MM every other Apple Silicon gen, IMO.

So yeah... No new M3 Mac Minis. Game Over. )
disagree, i bet an m3 mac mini is 'just around the corner' certainly by june.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
SDRAM is a technology. UMA is a role. Apple uses standard LPDDR5 SDRAM for its UMA RAM.
Thank you for correcting me. My understanding was that because it is not pin-mounted using an external clock, it doesn't count as "S" DRAM. It sounds like I was wrong.

My larger point remains. UMA RAM has bandwidth comparable to VRAM on the PC side. I don't think the price comparison to slotted SD RAM makes sense.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
We've been left behind. Some of is own a few Mac Minis but are no longer invited to the M3 party.

kent5

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
We've been left behind. Some of is own a few Mac Minis but are no longer invited to the M3 party.
I'll guess we'll see in the next month or so... Still haven't seen any hard evidence either way -- just speculation.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Seems a bit dramatic don't you think? I reckon there's still going to be a market for the mini as long as the co-location guys buy them. They just might not have plans to upgrade them year on year. We've already agreed on here that the form factor is paid-for and fits into the spaces depicted in various co-location server rooms.

A new exterior design would bump up costs for Apple and co-location guys. If Apple don't have to devote resources to redesign the mini then future iterations just end up being a speed bump and call it a day.

One limiting factor that the itchy trigger finger guys might not have realised is that Apple will be unlikely to let the M2 CPU be the 'current' CPU in a Mac for too long because of the 'unwritten' general promise to support CPUs for 5 years after the product they are in is discontinued.

So at the moment the M2 lives on in the Mini, Studio and the Pro. Once these are discontinued (and hopefully replaced by whatever model they see fit) the clock starts on Apple's support - until then the users of those machines are safe in the knowledge that they probably have at least 5 years of software updates on the cards and no laptop batteries to get in the way.

Any Apple product with the word "Mini" in the name is always an endangered species

I'm with you on that one, RIP iPhone Mini :)

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Why wouldn’t Apple release M3mini, when M4 is announced?
Wouldn’t that make most sense economically?

I’d guess mini users are not super users, there is Studio for that…

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
If there is nothing revolutionary, they could update MM every other Apple Silicon gen, IMO.
The "revolutionary" change this round was allowing the M3 MacBook Air to drive two external displays.
That means that the M3 MBA is now a viable MM-replacement candidate for a lot of folks (myself included) - people who needed to run two monitors, but didn't want to pay the "Pro tax" for the MacBook Pro. If you were on the fence, there is a much stronger chance that you go the MBA route now.

And I say that somewhat sadly, as a long-time MM fan going all the way back to the G4.

Reactions: Miat and Chuckeee

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
At the end of next week, there'll only be one week left in the month of March. Still no M3 Mac Minis. Tick. Tock.

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
M1 was the launch chip so they needed to ship volume in the low-end for it to be successful. M2 was a disaster so they're using the M2 Mini to get rid of excess M2 gen chips. No M3 Minis are coming so let's close this thread as it's done.

So.... you're proposing to close the thread that has been here from 2013 just because (in your opinion) there isn't going to be MM M3? )

When that sad day arrives, I do hope we can just request a change of the thread title to:

The new Mac mini is almost certainly not coming​

That way we can surely keep going one more decade in one of the best threads ever on MR!

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
I say wait for June during the developer conference. I think all 3 desktops will be introduced with the M3 variant.

Seems plausible. There are limits to how much they can upgrade the Mini without putting the Studio's position in a bind, and the same goes for the Studio vs the Pro. With everything being on M2 chips, it's a clear "good/better/best" arrangement. But if the low end gets a bump but not the middle or top, it disrupts that balance.

Reactions: Miat and Chuckeee

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
Seems plausible. There are limits to how much they can upgrade the Mini without putting the Studio's position in a bind, and the same goes for the Studio vs the Pro. With everything being on M2 chips, it's a clear "good/better/best" arrangement. But if the low end gets a bump but not the middle or top, it disrupts that balance.
The Mini will stay in it's lane as well as the other two. Each machine has its audience.

Reactions: eldho

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
When that sad day arrives, I do hope we can just request a change of the thread title to:

The new Mac mini is almost certainly not coming​

That way we can surely keep going one more decade in one of the best threads ever on MR!
We're not here for nostalgia so much as to celebrate the birth of a new Mini in 2024 but that ain't happening. Game over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.