Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You know, I'm still quite happy with my 2018 Mini. For the past month it's been pushed to the limit 24/7 running GIS software in a 32gb Windows 10 VM. After downloading about 4500 geodata files (~2.4 terabytes) from the USGS, I do lots of processing that generates several more terabytes of data. Am now approaching the final goal which consists of about 20 million .png map tiles (~600gb) that will be added to a 3d map in my web app. The Mini handles this like a champ for the most part, even as I continue to work in MacOS. Sure, a dedicated (expensive) windows box would be faster but I would really miss the integration with MacOS in Parallels.

I plan to keep this setup for another two years or so, I really can't afford frequent upgrades anymore now that I'm retired. But I also just couldn't do this on Apple Silicon today. So, I'm happy to just wait and see what the future holds. When I finally do upgrade, you're gonna be jealous of my new m6 Mini! I just hope they finally get back to space grey by then. 🤣

Reactions: Ruftzooi

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
You know, I'm still quite happy with my 2018 Mini.
What OS version are you running?

My 2018 Mini went from "This thing is going to last me forever" to "I'm going to have to replace this soon" over the last few major OS versions. And it's not a perception change over time - it's that I held off updating for a long time (work projects needed stability), then skipped a couple versions when I finally updated, and bam it was (and has been) a totally different machine. :( Going back is not an option - the security risks just aren't worth it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ruftzooi

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I'm still happy with mine as well. I'm a photo professional and found that adding an external gpu (EGPU) made a huge performance difference using my photo editing apps.

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.