Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Has anyone tried the NES games online yet? How do they play on the pro controller? I heard mixed things about the controls, like you can’t assign actions to different buttons.

My only complaint is playing the Mario games. I have to get used to the A & B buttons not being linear. Jumping while running is much better on an NES controller. Other than that, the Switch controls are just fine for me.

Games to come like Metroid might be an issue playing with non linear buttons as well, when it comes to shooting while jumping.

If anyone is going to put plenty of hours playing these games. Then a NES controller is recommended. But if you just going to play occasionally for fun, then the Switch controller is more than good enough.

I don't see any controller settings. Only settings that exist so far are the display settings 4:3, Pixel Perfect, and CRT Filter.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
While I’d prefer to run with Y and jump with B in the Mario games, it’s not unusable the way it it. Using X and A feels a little unnatural at first, but you get used to it.

I still hope Nintendo puts out an update for custom button mapping.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
The Nintendo online stuff is pretty... bad (from what i've read so far).

Inconsistent cloud saves across titles, and on top of that, there is no way to backup saves locally.
Voice chat shenanigans.
Classic titles only with a subscription (i'm so glad I still have my Wii with my VirtualConsole purchases).

I'm glad i'm a single player gamer. It seems like this might be the Switch's Achilles heel.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've been trying to figure that out as well!

I bought the Digital Deluxe Version for $80 which includes all day-one releases (but not store exclusives). Will play tonight.

I use my Switch ONLY in handheld mode, there's no way I'm going to reconfig just to hook up the physical toys. I'm not going to use a controller with that thing hanging off it. You can craft/customize your ship in-game.

The toys need to be hooked up to unlock the ship and features and lasts only 1 week. Then you have to re-hook up the ship to unlock it again.

All toys will be available as DLC. DLC is obviously tied to your account and will always be available.

Physical copies/toys will be a lot more money than DLC.

Here's a vid with the cost breakdown:

I'm a collector and whould have loved the physical ships - but to have to hook them up all the time just to keep them unlocked.

Plus I already have too many toys from Amiibo's and Disney Infinity...

Amiibo's you only need to touch them to the controller, and DI and Skylanders have that base you just put the figures on..

Who thought of putting the toys on the controller?

Really?

Reactions: scottcampbell

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I bought the Digital Deluxe Version for $80 which includes all day-one releases (but not store exclusives). Will play tonight.

I use my Switch ONLY in handheld mode, there's no way I'm going to reconfig just to hook up the physical toys. I'm not going to use a controller with that thing hanging off it. You can craft/customize your ship in-game.

The toys need to be hooked up to unlock the ship and features and lasts only 1 week. Then you have to re-hook up the ship to unlock it again.

All toys will be available as DLC. DLC is obviously tied to your account and will always be available.

Physical copies/toys will be a lot more money than DLC.

Here's a vid with the cost breakdown:

I'm a collector and whould have loved the physical ships - but to have to hook them up all the time just to keep them unlocked.

Plus I already have too many toys from Amiibo's and Disney Infinity...

Amiibo's you only need to touch them to the controller, and DI and Skylanders have that base you just put the figures on..

Who thought of putting the toys on the controller?

Really?
Hey, how are you enjoying Starlink? Happy with the package you went with?

What I've been up to...
• Dark Souls Remastered - Played a couple hours, frustrated not with gameplay difficulty but just how terrible the game is about onboarding players and explaining systems and terms. So I will be playing with a guide. I'm used to Nintendo games, so not knowing what stuff means is a non-starter for me.

• Hollow Knight - Been playing this in small chunks, it's a 2d platformer with a lot of Dark Souls elements. But it's simple and straightforward, which is great.

• Fortnightmares - The Halloween / Monster mode. I love it, and continue to be amazed by the ongoing support Epic provides for this free game.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hey, how are you enjoying Starlink? Happy with the package you went with?

It was strange to pay $80 for just a download of a game.

Love the game, it has a lot of depth both with load-outs for the ships and your Pilot stats. Almost too much. Having Starfox in the Switch version was genius. Now Nintendo essentially has a game engine/platform to develop a Starfox only game for the Switch.

My most favorite is EVERSPACE - just a space shooter with some crafting - but not too much. It is also coming to the switch - though I don't know how you would be able to read the crafting screens in handheld mode.

I also play No Man's Sky in Creative Mode (no crafting/surviving necessary, everything has Zero cost).

Interesting how Starlink managed to place itself among these two games yet stay unique.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
That was quite the Smash Direct, wasn't it?

I'm pretty happy about Piranha Plant! Looks like a really fun, unique character. And we know we have 5 more character reveals over the next 14 months. :)

Reactions: Sensamic

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Am I the only one intimidated by Smash Bros.? I casually played it on the Wii but in this version there is 1 million things to do in it. And with the Spirit system you can now engage your characters? At least the adventure mode looks solid.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Am I the only one intimidated by Smash Bros.? I casually played it on the Wii but in this version there is 1 million things to do in it. And with the Spirit system you can now engage your characters? At least the adventure mode looks solid.
Sakurai always overloads his games with a crazy amount of collectibles, stats, challenges, and whatnot. You can completely ignore them and play the modes you want, how you want.

If I thought I had to understand everything, I'd feel intimidated too.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I haven't played a Smash game since the original one of N64. It's my favorite game of all time. I'm really excited to play it again on the Switch after so long, but I'm also worried about all the stuff going on during fights.

I don't like complex games. I also like a one to one player combat with the Smash style, gameplay and characters. I feel there's so much going on during fights that it becomes a detriment in the end.

But I still think it will be great. The original one has items and stuff, but not SO much as nowadays.

I'm also excited for the new Pokemon. Just started playing Pokemon Go two weeks ago and I'm hooked. Also haven't played a Pokemon game since the yellow version, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I haven't played a Smash game since the original one of N64. It's my favorite game of all time. I'm really excited to play it again on the Switch after so long, but I'm also worried about all the stuff going on during fights.

I don't like complex games. I also like a one to one player combat with the Smash style, gameplay and characters. I feel there's so much going on during fights that it becomes a detriment in the end.

But I still think it will be great. The original one has items and stuff, but not SO much as nowadays.

I'm also excited for the new Pokemon. Just started playing Pokemon Go two weeks ago and I'm hooked. Also haven't played a Pokemon game since the yellow version, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Sorry to post again sounding like a Smash evangelist, but it is a series I've invested over 1,000 hours in and played competitively...

Please don't worry about the complexity. You can fine tune your settings to have it as basic as possible, by turning items off (and a new addition in Smash Ultimate), switching stage hazards off. :) In fact, I'm sure that's how the game will be played at tournaments!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Sorry to post again sounding like a Smash evangelist, but it is a series I've invested over 1,000 hours in and played competitively...

Please don't worry about the complexity. You can fine tune your settings to have it as basic as possible, by turning items off (and a new addition in Smash Ultimate), switching stage hazards off. :) In fact, I'm sure that's how the game will be played at tournaments!
That's good to hear! I watched the direct last week but it was so dense and complex the whole spirits thing that I disconnected and didn't fully understand it. I'll probably learn everything better just playing the game when it releases.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ok, so I think I’ve decided between Starlink and Diablo 3, I’m putting Diablo 3 on my Christmas list..

Has anyone played it on the Switch at all? I’ve seen a lot of gameplay videos and it seems to run really well. I remember when they used the game to benchmark the first retina MacBook Pro as it just came out at the same time lol.

Also is the Pro Controller worth it? Kinda deciding if I want one?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Ok, so I think I’ve decided between Starlink and Diablo 3, I’m putting Diablo 3 on my Christmas list..

Has anyone played it on the Switch at all? I’ve seen a lot of gameplay videos and it seems to run really well. I remember when they used the game to benchmark the first retina MacBook Pro as it just came out at the same time lol.

Also is the Pro Controller worth it? Kinda deciding if I want one?

Pro Controller is well worth it if you play in docked mode a lot. Expensive, but a very good controller.

Reactions: apolloa

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Thanks, I don’t play a lot docked but that doesn’t mean I won’t, I also figured removing the joucons less would reduce wear on them?

I would assume so, but I really haven't removed my joycons since I first bought the Switch, so I lack the proper experience to support that claim.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Hahahahahaha wow! Well Scott... erm.. you certainly like it lol!

How long does the battery last? And if it goes flat, can you still use it when plugged into the Switch dock for charging?
Glad you enjoyed :)

The battery lasts ~40 hours, which is half as long as the Wii U Pro Controller but still excellent. You'll go long periods of time without even thinking about charging it.

It comes with a USB-C to USB-A cable to charge it with, and you can play it while charging. When you purchase it, just plug the cable in for the first time and your controller will be synched to your console.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Agree on the Pro controller. Absolutely worth it.

I bought it second hand for 42€. Great deal. Like new condition and one year warranty.

Have had no problems and all positive things to say.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
Hey Gang! I'm hoping you all can help me! I didn't see it in the forums but maybe I missed it.
I own 1 switch. Under my Nintendo ID, I've downloaded several digital games (Arms, MarioKart, Go Vacation, Just Dance)

I'm considering buying a 2nd Switch but I don't want to have to re-buy all the games and I understand there's a way to share games.

Will I be able to play Just Dance on Switch One and MarioKart on Switch Two simultaneously or how do I manage that well? Any help would be appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.