Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I'm waiting for the next back to school season to replace my powerbook G4. I love this thing but I just need something faster for photoshop work, gaming, and so I can run windows programs that I need for school.

I've been banking on a macbook pro but I've seen macbooks around a lot of my friends have them and I think they are cool. If only they had a matte screen...

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
I don't think the Macbook will see a revamp maybe just a speed bump. Why? because apple use the macbook for the lepoard demos. Unless they are going to redo them when it's released I don't see why they would do this.

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I might be wrong but i thought that Jobs said all apple computers will be "green" at the end of 2007.

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/08/led-macbook-pro-update-in-june/

"According to the rumor site, Apple placed an order for over 100,000 15.4-inch LED displays in April for a delivery schedule in May. This would provide adequate lead in time for a June ship date. Meanwhile, orders for 13.3-inch LED screens are reportedly being considered for 3rd Quarter roll-out."

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
The data you provided from the Buyer's Guide clearly points to an update prior to the Holiday Season in all but one case: 2004. Aside from that year, there was an update at least 3 months before Christmas. Is there any reason to believe that the prophecy won't be fulfilled?

Hehe.. MY non-technical predictions is that the pattern doesn't look so pretty :eek:

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
It seems to me that there has to be a Macbook update this year (see Macbook buyer´s guide), if there wasn't it would be the longest period without update ever.

Since Apple is going all aluminium and glass, I think the next Macbook might come in black and white aluminium casing.
Santa Rosa and better integrated Intel graphics and of course LED backlit screen.

Since december seems too late for a relese, I believe it's either going to happen simultaneusly with Leopard release at the end of october, or at latest in november.

I'm waiting for Leopard anyway before I buy my second mac ever, so I might as well wait for the new macbook. I'm sure it's coming.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Hehe.. MY non-technical predictions is that the pattern doesn't look so pretty :eek:

Why not? From a historical perspective, it looks fine. I think the main thing people are worried about is Intel; Intel has no "new" chip for Christmas, so people assume Apple won't update. However, a simple speed bumb and some other minor boots can go a long way in appeasing Christmas crowds;).

casw1000

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Here is another reason why Apple must keep up or stay ahead of the game when it comes to laptop technology. This was recently released info about the new Sony laptops.

"The Vaio FZ20 line of 15.4in laptops sport BD support too. Again, it's powered by a Core 2 Duo and 2GB of DDR 2. The hard drive's 300GB, the graphics chip an Nvidia 8600M GT, again with 256MB of video memory and TurboCache support. Wi-Fi this time is of the 802.11n variety".

My point being is that when people like me rarely spend serious £1500+ money on a laptop you have to look at all the options. Whilst I simply love OSX and is the main reason for buying a Apple laptop, I keep looking at the newer laptops constantly coming out today. It seems that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are fast becoming the normal item for the highend / pro market place.

I don't think I am alone in wanting maybe something faster, but certainly updated would be very welcome.

Just my 2pence worth anyhow.
-casw1000

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
I saw the update history above and agree that a speed bump coinciding with the Leopard release appears to be the most likely occurrence.

However, I will say that the releasing Apple has done this year with new products and updates has absolutely startled me. It seems like they are sprinting from press release to press release. So, if they did drop a new MacBook Pro before the holiday season, I wouldn't be shocked.

It seems rational to expect major product updates at MacWorld, but this year Apple saved the occasion to introduce completely new products. I wonder if their aim is to make that a trend and release the updates to existing lines as it makes sense throughout the year.

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
However, a simple speed bumb and some other minor boots can go a long way in appeasing Christmas crowds;).

Well, that I totally agree. A lil speed bump or price drop would make me buy a new macbook :D

But if they release it a little too late (like in december), they should get prepared for the angry mob demanding more vouchers :rolleyes:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
But if they release it a little too late (like in december), they should get prepared for the angry mob demanding more vouchers :rolleyes:

I doubt they'd wait until December; most of the crowd will expect no update and simply move past the macbooks/macbook pros. My thinking is that an update will happen sometime in November before Thanksgiving. This way, there's an appropriate cycle time (about six months) since the last update, and Black Friday shoppers have something to look forward to.

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Well, that I totally agree. A lil speed bump or price drop would make me buy a new macbook :D

I can see a lot of people getting new macbooks after Leopard comes out (waiting like me for the new OS before buying)......and if Apple turns around and puts new updated computers not too long after Leopard is released I think like you said Apple could have some upset customers on their hands.

To me it makes sense that if they are going to update anytime soon (like the trends show) it should go right along with Leopards release....when the Apple computer talk is highest.

BadgerMac

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
My pure gut guess is a new MacBook update or refresh in time for Leopard launch. THey're going to push the new OS, and what better way than to update probably the most popular computer product in their line - the consumer notebook.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I can see a lot of people getting new macbooks after Leopard comes out (waiting like me for the new OS before buying)......and if Apple turns around and puts new updated computers not too long after Leopard is released I think like you said Apple could have some upset customers on their hands.
Apple will always upset some customers. In order to please everyone, the macbook would have to never be updated, and yet somehow be updated all the time:eek::) You can't please everyone all the time. There are going to be some winners and losers. If people really care that much, they'll pay attention to update cycles and buy accordingly.

To me it makes sense that if they are going to update anytime soon (like the trends show) it should go right along with Leopards release....when the Apple computer talk is highest.
Actually, it's best to space out updates/annoucements so that you generate more press. Even if the macbooks are updated two weeks after Leopard comes out, the articles will have a blurb saying, "and Apple also released a new operating system two weeks ago. OS 10.5, codenamed Leopard, will ship with all new macbooks." Apple is one of the best marketing companies out there right now; the pattern of spacing out updates is working pretty darn well. It's also a formula you learn in Political Science; give people the bad news all at once so that they can forget about it all at once. However, give people good news periodically, so they don't ask, "what have you done for me lately?"

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
Actually, it's best to space out updates/annoucements so that you generate more press. Even if the macbooks are updated two weeks after Leopard comes out, the articles will have a blurb saying, "and Apple also released a new operating system two weeks ago. OS 10.5, codenamed Leopard, will ship with all new macbooks." Apple is one of the best marketing companies out there right now; the pattern of spacing out updates is working pretty darn well. It's also a formula you learn in Political Science; give people the bad news all at once so that they can forget about it all at once. However, give people good news periodically, so they don't ask, "what have you done for me lately?"

If I was apple, I would announce new Macbooks 2-3 weeks before Leopard ships, saying they will ship with Leopard. It would eliminate the drop in sales they have to be expecting in the weeks prior to Leopard. And, they can also get two news hits out of it. "Apple announces new Macbooks, will ship in 2 weeks with their new OS code named Leopard" and "Apple releases new OS, it comes pre-installed on all new computers, like the new Macbook which was just updated 2 weeks ago, and is shipping now."

As for what the update will be, I'm thinking a case redesign. Aluminum but rounder edges than the MBP, more along the line of the nano.
I see it breaking down as:
Base model: Sliver only
Middle model: Silver and colors
Top model: Only black
Like the nanos were until the last update.

As for tech specs:
Upped to Santa Rosa (which means at least GMA 3100), maybe LED, base RAM in one Dimm, maybe an extra USB port on the right side, Standard super drive (make the speed the difference between base and middle/top models)

Anywho, those are my predictions (slightly inspired by my iBook's logicboard failure)

~Thursday

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
If I was apple, I would announce new Macbooks 2-3 weeks before Leopard ships, saying they will ship with Leopard. It would eliminate the drop in sales they have to be expecting in the weeks prior to Leopard. And, they can also get two news hits out of it. "Apple announces new Macbooks, will ship in 2 weeks with their new OS code named Leopard" and "Apple releases new OS, it comes pre-installed on all new computers, like the new Macbook which was just updated 2 weeks ago, and is shipping now."

As for what the update will be, I'm thinking a case redesign. Aluminum but rounder edges than the MBP, more along the line of the nano.
I see it breaking down as:
Base model: Sliver only
Middle model: Silver and colors
Top model: Only black
Like the nanos were until the last update.

As for tech specs:
Upped to Santa Rosa (which means at least GMA 3100), maybe LED, base RAM in one Dimm, maybe an extra USB port on the right side, Standard super drive (make the speed the difference between base and middle/top models)

Anywho, those are my predictions (slightly inspired by my iBook's logicboard failure)

~Thursday

Your updates seem quite optimistic. A few things won't happen for sure. For example, forget the RAM being given to you in a single stick. Apple saves money by giving you two seperate sticks, and encourages you to buy RAM from them this way. Another thing that probably won't happen is too many colors. Apple might have two for the macbooks. Don't count on the clamshell iBook philosophy making a comeback anytime soon.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
Your updates seem quite optimistic. A few things won't happen for sure. For example, forget the RAM being given to you in a single stick. Apple saves money by giving you two seperate sticks, and encourages you to buy RAM from them this way. Another thing that probably won't happen is too many colors. Apple might have two for the macbooks. Don't count on the clamshell iBook philosophy making a comeback anytime soon.

I'm not thinking too many colors, just maybe two options outside of silver/white and black. If you look at the new nano and shuffle lines they seem to be going for a cool color selection so I would think it would extend to the macbook. Probably a lightish blue and a lightish green.

As for the RAM, there is precedent. The last two iBook revisions both had 512 MB of RAM, but the second to last one was in 2 Dimms and the last one was in one Dimm (not exactly the same as, one slot was soldered in each.) And I believe the Macbook Pro revision prior to 2GB being standard had 1GB in one Dimm. So, I would think the Macbook update after this one would have 2 GB standard (if it's in april-may time, prices should be low enough to make it worthwhile).

~Thursday

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm not thinking too many colors, just maybe two options outside of silver/white and black. If you look at the new nano and shuffle lines they seem to be going for a cool color selection so I would think it would extend to the macbook. Probably a lightish blue and a lightish green.

The Nano always had a lot of color options, even before it was the Nano. The iPod Mini had five colors which set the precedent for color options for this series of products. The notebooks on the other hand, have been restricted in their color distribution. Even if there are only two colors that are added besides a white and black, that would create four possible color options. Apple won't do this for the consumer line of notebooks now; it's fallen out of style. If anything, we'll see the colors merged into a single aluminum/black. I know many of you hope for multi-colored macbooks, but I have to say that it probably isn't going to happen. Apple just isn't headed in this direction.

As for the RAM, there is precedent. The last two iBook revisions both had 512 MB of RAM, but the second to last one was in 2 Dimms and the last one was in one Dimm (not exactly the same as, one slot was soldered in each.) And I believe the Macbook Pro revision prior to 2GB being standard had 1GB in one Dimm. So, I would think the Macbook update after this one would have 2 GB standard (if it's in april-may time, prices should be low enough to make it worthwhile).

The iBook having a single stick was only done to create a sense of advancement; if you think about it, it was done only to help keep the iBook competitive while the Intel transition was about to take place. Aside from this one time, all other consumer notebooks have had two sticks. Even the last gen mbp, which had a single stick of RAM was an exception. My feeling on that was it was done to help push the base mbp sales a bit. It created a sense of "value" over the macbook, despite the fact that both had the same amount of RAM. Even though RAM prices are falling, Apple will try as much to have two sticks of RAM. The savings it offers are too great for execs to ignore.

rgsaunders

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
Macbook Pro update coming?

Anyone noticed that the 15.4" Macbook Pro is now a 7-10 business day delay on shipping, while the 17" model is still 1-2 days?. That may be indicative of things about to change, as it has been in the past. Lets hope its the LED backlit screens now.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
Apple states that their product line will go "green" by the end of this year. So the Macbook will defiantly have a redesign with less polycarbonate whatever.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Anyone noticed that the 15.4" Macbook Pro is now a 7-10 business day delay on shipping, while the 17" model is still 1-2 days?. That may be indicative of things about to change, as it has been in the past. Lets hope its the LED backlit screens now.

It's been this way for sometime. Apple has had a supply shortage due to problems with displays. It's not going to be updated soon.

Apple states that their product line will go "green" by the end of this year. So the Macbook will defiantly have a redesign with less polycarbonate whatever.

Once again, this has nothing to do with the exterior of the macbook. Internals can change without a change in appearance, speed, etc. PVC is not used on the outside body of the macbook.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
The Nano always had a lot of color options, even before it was the Nano. The iPod Mini had five colors which set the precedent for color options for this series of products. The notebooks on the other hand, have been restricted in their color distribution. Even if there are only two colors that are added besides a white and black, that would create four possible color options. Apple won't do this for the consumer line of notebooks now; it's fallen out of style. If anything, we'll see the colors merged into a single aluminum/black. I know many of you hope for multi-colored macbooks, but I have to say that it probably isn't going to happen. Apple just isn't headed in this direction.

Except that Dell can't keep up with orders for their colorized notebooks, and Sony has found their colorized Vaios very popular as well. It seems the consumer market really likes color choices in notebooks. It makes the notebook more personalized.
Apple is going to redesign the Macbook, and they are going away from white plastic. Colors are popular choices for notebooks, and apple would be insane not to capitalize on that.

~Thursday

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Except that Dell can't keep up with orders for their colorized notebooks, and Sony has found their colorized Vaios very popular as well. It seems the consumer market really likes color choices in notebooks. It makes the notebook more personalized.
Apple is going to redesign the Macbook, and they are going away from white plastic. Colors are popular choices for notebooks, and apple would be insane not to capitalize on that.

How long have those Dells been around? If it's been more than six months, then they're not doing as well as you claim because HP is still outselling Dell by healthy margins, and their notebooks stick to a mostly black/silver look. If it's been six months or less, we don't know how well they're doing because an accurate reading of their sales probably isn't available. I'm sure you would like a multi-colored one, and I'm sure several people on these forums would to, but that doesn't provide an accurate picture of the market. Apple's notebook sales have continued to grow at a much more rapid pace than Dell's; surely Apple is doing something right.

Remember, when people think of Dell, they think of "boring, thrown together PC." This multi-color experiment is being done because Dell is desperate to recover from bad sales for the past several quarters, and because they've been overstating their earnings for the past 5 years or so; Micheal had to do something:eek:;) Let's not call them a success until we have some hard data.

In addition to that, Dell's ability to keep up with orders doesn't mean the product is a run-away success. Dell might not have expected a good response, and may have only kept low stock levels. Either way, if you could provide a link which shows that Dell is selling these things in large numbers, it would really help.

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
This multi-color experiment is being done because Dell is desperate to recover from bad sales for the past several quarters

Even if Dell is doing the color choice to recover from bad sales...why should that stop apple from doing it to boost sales?

I think a color choice for the mid-priced macbook would be a good move..

Cheap macbook= white/silver
Mid-price macbook= a couple of color choices
High-priced macbook= black

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Even if Dell is doing the color choice to recover from bad sales...why should that stop apple from doing it to boost sales?

I think a color choice for the mid-priced macbook would be a good move..

Cheap macbook= white/silver
Mid-price macbook= a couple of color choices
High-priced macbook= black

You're misunderstanding my point. I'm saying that Dell put out those models because it was in a desperate situation; it had to try something bold and new. We don't actually know how well those notebooks are doing yet. Once some sales number come in, we'll be able to tell if color really makes enough of a difference where the MAJORITY of notebook buyers will base a large or decent part of their decision off of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.