Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
They will most likely (chances are very very not slim(lol)) update the MacBooks:
-Faster Processor
-LED Screen (I heard this rumor a while back, may be possible)
-Maybe Slimmer
-Better Integrated Graphics (many people do not think the current MacBook's graphics will be strong enough to smoothly run)
-Colorful Alumi Cases (I REALLY will not like this, the only colors I would be interested in is Black and Product Red (the new dark red, thats on the new Shuffle's\Nanos)

If they give the MacBook colorful alumi cases, they better make it look good... because I am waiting for Leopard (may as far as early January) to buy my MacBook(first mac) and I absolutely love the plastic white, so if they do make them alumi and colroful, I just hope there is black and it wont cost extra....

toutbeau

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2007
not going to buy then

hell i hate this chopping and changing

i think i will stay with a pc..just my opinion

sm0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Wellington, NZ
no idea but they should go 14" which IMO is the best screen/portability ratio

and make the ultra portables 12.

and a black macbook pro

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007

whut? you with a pc should be used to chopping :D
Having used Vista for a couple of months now is the precise reason I'm buying a macbook this fall

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I there is a MacBook update next month and it has the new graphics chipset then I may reconsider getting a MacBook instead of an iMac;)

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
If there's a decent update next month, I will be seriously tempted!
The iMacs are awesome but there's something cool about the Macbooks.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

I'm a bit confused; are you upset with the unpredictabilty of the future, or with Apple's current offerings? If you're upset that you can't see into the future, then I have some bad news for you...

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
They will most likely (chances are very very not slim(lol)) update the MacBooks:
-Faster Processor
-LED Screen (I heard this rumor a while back, may be possible)
-Maybe Slimmer
-Better Integrated Graphics (many people do not think the current MacBook's graphics will be strong enough to smoothly run)
-Colorful Alumi Cases (I REALLY will not like this, the only colors I would be interested in is Black and Product Red (the new dark red, thats on the new Shuffle's\Nanos)

Yeah I could see updates like that happening...

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Normally I would discount a thread like this as based on wants and not real rumors...

but as a previous poster said, Steve already mentioned their entire line would be eco friendly by the end of the year and if the macbook case is NOT eco riendly (have no clue if it is or not) then we are looking at design changes and prob. a minor speed bump.

IMO.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Normally I would discount a thread like this as based on wants and not real rumors...

but as a previous poster said, Steve already mentioned their entire line would be eco friendly by the end of the year and if the macbook case is NOT eco riendly (have no clue if it is or not) then we are looking at design changes and prob. a minor speed bump.

IMO.

Look, this is a common misconception, so I'm going to type it in large letters:
THE CASE OF THE MACBOOK IS NOT PVC.

I know the website makes it seem like the case would have to be redesigned, but it simply is not one of the products they meant on that Eco page.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Look, this is a common misconception, so I'm going to type it in large letters:
THE CASE OF THE MACBOOK IS NOT PVC.

I know the website makes it seem like the case would have to be redesigned, but it simply is not one of the products they meant on that Eco page.

See. Notice how I typed "(have no clue if it is or not) " Because I do not have a clue?

A classy thing would be to respond without the 72 point type.

But thanks for the info anyways, we will see if you are correct or not.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
See. Notice how I typed "(have no clue if it is or not) " Because I do not have a clue?

A classy thing would be to respond without the 72 point type.

But thanks for the info anyways, we will see if you are correct or not.

Sorry, but you're the twentieth poster in this thread to make the claim that Apple must change the casing due to the eco statement. It's been repeated several times, and it would really help things if people asked instead of making assertions;) Although I have to give you credit, you did write, "have no clue," which is better than others who simply state that it is a fact.

PS: I wrote it in extra large font so that others would read it (or at least so that the odds of it being read are higher). It wasn't anything against you.

cvahl

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
Boston

IMO.

As far as I know, Apple considers the change to a LED screen also as 'eco', cause it would save a lot of energy and those screen can be better recycled. Am I wrong? Hopefully they'll do it soon, it is the main reason why I didn't already buy me a Macbook...

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
As far as I know, Apple considers the change to a LED screen also as 'eco', cause it would save a lot of energy and those screen can be better recycled. Am I wrong? Hopefully they'll do it soon, it is the main reason why I didn't already buy me a Macbook...

Yeah I thought it was the LED screen change that would make it more "eco friendly"....but

I am a newbie so what do I know ;)

chinderland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006

IMO.

Steve is most likely not concerned with eco friendliness, but the cost factor. The current macbook case is made of polycarbonates, which seems to be more expensive than aluminum or aluminum alloy:

LME current aluminum price at: USD2425 per Metric Ton
LME current aluminum alloy price at: USD2160 per Metric Ton
Polycarbonate USA domestic price (Bulk) last year at: USD4123-4652 per Metric Ton
(see example report from ICIS http://www.icispricing.com/il_shared/Samples/SubPage182.asp)

Polycarbonates is almost twice expensive as aluminum alloy.

Facing the fierce price competition from PC manufacturers, Apple has to reduce its costs in materials.

Conclusion: Macbook will go aluminum. No doubts, but just a matter of time.

Cheers.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Steve is most likely not concerned with eco friendliness, but the cost factor. The current macbook case is made of polycarbonates, which seems to be more expensive than aluminum or aluminum alloy:

Polycarbonate USA domestic price (Bulk) last year at: USD4123-4652 per Metric Ton
(see example report from ICIS http://www.icispricing.com/il_shared/Samples/SubPage182.asp)

Facing the fierce price competition from PC manufacturers, Apple has to reduce its costs in materials.

Cheers.

Hmm. That's very interesting, and somewhat troubling. Why would Apple use cheaper components in the pro series? Seems to be a funny way of rewarding customers who spend more. Maybe the cost per ton doesn't take into account the amount needed in order to achieve certain minimum strength requirements? I mean, the polycarbonate might need less in order to achieve the same strength as the aluminum...but that doesn't make sense either, because the macbooks weigh too much. Either way, this information is troubling.

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
Hmm. That's very interesting, and somewhat troubling. Why would Apple use cheaper components in the pro series? Seems to be a funny way of rewarding customers who spend more. Maybe the cost per ton doesn't take into account the amount needed in order to achieve certain minimum strength requirements? I mean, the polycarbonate might need less in order to achieve the same strength as the aluminum...but that doesn't make sense either, because the macbooks way too much. Either way, this information is troubling.

I guess that majority of customers consider alu as something more noble than polycarbonate, which for, again, majority is just a plastic;) ..to be earnest..i supporting majority here;))

rossgumbrell

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Hove, South East England

Cheers.

VERY intersting point there!

But, would the prices be different where the comps are manufactured? Plastic is far more accessable to Asia, possibly cheaper?

chinderland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
Hmm. That's very interesting, and somewhat troubling. Why would Apple use cheaper components in the pro series? Seems to be a funny way of rewarding customers who spend more. Maybe the cost per ton doesn't take into account the amount needed in order to achieve certain minimum strength requirements? I mean, the polycarbonate might need less in order to achieve the same strength as the aluminum...but that doesn't make sense either, because the macbooks way too much. Either way, this information is troubling.

I don't know the processing cost of case material for mac notebooks, but the processing cost of aluminum cost must be as big as the cost of aluminum itself to match the material cost of polycarbonate. Isn't it a big jump in cost?

Why aluminum for pro series? My answer is two-fold: 1) Bigger profit margin which is the ultimate goal of all private businesses. 2) the consumer (false) perception that aluminum alloy is more expensive and noble than plastics, maybe due to the shining outlook of the metal.

Remember, aluminum is the most abundant element in the crust of earth, while plastics are derived from crude oil which is dwindling in reserves every minute. Last week, WTI crude oil price hit over USD80 per barrel. Since Jan 2007, crude oil prices has kept increasing until now. The modern world has already passed Peak Oil and petroleum products will become ever more expensive.

The truth rocks, not Macs, though I admire the total offering of Apple, both hardware and software.

Eyes open, for good.

Cheers.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I don't know the processing cost of case material for mac notebooks, but the processing cost of aluminum cost must be as big as the cost of aluminum itself to match the material cost of polycarbonate. Isn't it a big jump in cost?

Why aluminum for pro series? My answer is two-fold: 1) Bigger profit margin which is the ultimate goal of all private businesses. 2) the consumer (false) perception that aluminum alloy is more expensive and noble than plastics, maybe due to the shining outlook of the metal.

Remember, aluminum is the most abundant element in the crust of earth, while plastics are derived from crude oil which is dwindling in reserves every minute. Last week, WTI crude oil price hit over USD80 per barrel. Since Jan 2007, crude oil prices has kept increasing until now. The modern world has already passed Peak Oil and petroleum products will become ever more expensive.

The truth rocks, not Macs, though I admire the total offering of Apple, both hardware and software.

Eyes open, for good.

Cheers.

Well, either way, I feel a bit cheesed off that Apple places a higher price on products with aluminum (notebooks), but I guess it makes sense from a business perspective. In any case, the aluminum is nice and light, which makes it perfect for many things, including my mbp. I just wish it didn't mess up my wireless reception so...:rolleyes:

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Well, either way, I feel a bit cheesed off that Apple places a higher price on products with aluminum (notebooks), but I guess it makes sense from a business perspective. In any case, the aluminum is nice and light, which makes it perfect for many things, including my mbp. I just wish it didn't mess up my wireless reception so...:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure the insides are what make the MBP more expensive ;)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I am pretty sure the insides are what make the MBP more expensive ;)

Granted, but I expect the exterior to be better than the consumer models too. You wouldn't buy a car with 350 horsepower, leather seats, and rear cameras, and then expect that car to have cheap paint would you? It's an expectation that if you pay more, you get more all around; not just with the internal components.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
So you are saying that the MB should go aluminum, and MBP should go plastic?

I don't see that going over so well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.