Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Well, if Apple indeed releases this MacBook Thin and price is right (i.e. < $1000) I might actually consider replacing my aging iBook G4.
Not really sure about that keyboard, reminds me too much of ZX Spectrum :p

poppenstank258

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
Hawaii
oh, ok. That would be sweet though to see a $850 Macbook.

I hope that guy is right because I dont want to pay more than i would now but $850 sounds right. They brought down the imac by 200 so $800 would be even better and I can use a edu. discount another $100 right there:D

jaywong87

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2006
I feel that performance in laptops have finally reached a "usable" standard, in an affordable price. Two years ago, you couldnt get a great computer for 1,000 without searching like mad all over interwebs. Now you can get a great computer, w/ awesome multitasking functions for 1k or more.

Meaning, you can have a bunch of apps running, choos eto close one, and NOT have it take over 5 seconds!

Thats just my personal experience though, I cant wait for the new laptops! I especially love that new thing they're doing with the I/O ports in teh back, IF they do it. But man, it sounds so obvious, convenient and nice!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I feel that performance in laptops have finally reached a "usable" standard, in an affordable price. Two years ago, you couldnt get a great computer for 1,000 without searching like mad all over interwebs. Now you can get a great computer, w/ awesome multitasking functions for 1k or more.

Meaning, you can have a bunch of apps running, choos eto close one, and NOT have it take over 5 seconds!

Thats just my personal experience though, I cant wait for the new laptops! I especially love that new thing they're doing with the I/O ports in teh back, IF they do it. But man, it sounds so obvious, convenient and nice!

I disagree with one point. The notebooks of two years ago were capable, in fact, some even had high end CPUs and good RAM, but, they were bricks (and for about a thousand too; I know because my dad threw his money at one). The battery power needed was incredible, and hence, if you wanted a good machine, you needed a 9 or 10 pounder:eek:. With great increases in CPU technology, energy efficiency, and better build materials, we finally have lighter, thinner, and powerful notebooks.

jaywong87

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2006
There were definitely good laptops out there, but they were few and expensive. Now, you can buy almost any laptop and it will be fast, great at multitasking, and light.

I bought my PB 2 years ago, and it just doesnt cut it, especially for a $3000 computer.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
There were definitely good laptops out there, but they were few and expensive. Now, you can buy almost any laptop and it will be fast, great at multitasking, and light.

I bought my PB 2 years ago, and it just doesnt cut it, especially for a $3000 computer.

Well, time has that effect on all computers. Two years from now, my mbp won't cut it either:( C'est la vie I suppose. However, your point about better laptops is true. It's part of the reason why consumer are leaving desktops in droves (and have been for more than a year now).

jaywong87

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2006
My PB has been like this since the beginning. I mean, performance is okay, but once i start opening a lot of apps, trying to closeothers, while watching a video and typing notes down..it gets slow. Even when I first bought it.

Thats why I love the standard that laptops are at nowadays, performance finally reached a point where you can multitask, and still have ti be pretty quick.:)

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
http://9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543

idk if this is a really reliable source, but if they are right... I am going to LOVE the new MacBook, but then they said they will be priced "aggressively," does this mean the price will shoot up?? I highly doubt apple would do this, because then no-one will buy the macbook, and everyone will buy the pro...

"They are set to be priced extremely aggressively"
That means lots of features for a low-competitive price.
Talk about iPods always lowering prices and having new features.
And then iMacs.
And now... macbooks.

:cool:

Hmmm... a lot of people seem to have mixed feelings about this. Maybe a poll is in order...

Seriously, black ones look very cool, but white is more like me.
My 1st gen nano is black, but I regret it... wanted it white after a while.
IMO it just looks... "clean". :eek:

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
"They are set to be priced extremely aggressively"
That means lots of features for a low-competitive price.
Talk about iPods always lowering prices and having new features.
And then iMacs.
And now... macbooks.

:cool:

AWESOME! So most likely macbook prices will drop :D

Seriously, black ones look very cool, but white is more like me.
My 1st gen nano is black, but I regret it... wanted it white after a while.
IMO it just looks... "clean". :eek:

I agree, I have a 5th gen, black iPod.. and I really wish I would have gotten white, just so the smudges don't show up, and white doesn't show dust and scratches as easy...

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I think this proves we're going to see new MacBooks and Pros in October.
http://digg.com/apple/Complete_MacBook_line_to_be_redesigned

Quite a rumor. one can only hope it's true :D

you might have better luck with this url:
http://macslice.com.nyud.net/2007/09/22/complete-macbook-line-to-be-redesigned/

they basically claim that all the :apple: laptops are getting redesigned
here's most of it if that link won't work:

macslice.com said:
MacBook

* Black & Silver aluminum
* Slimmer and lighterthan current model
* Keyboard that resembles Apple’s new desktop keyboards
* New, larger trackpad with “unusual” features
* Prices will be reduced to compete with the PC laptop market
* Biometric fingerprint reader (May be part of the “unusual trackpad” or will be concealed in the aluminum chassis)
* SuperDrive

Specs are currently unknown but we’ll likely see 1GB RAM and 100GB Hard Drives in the lower model, and 2GB RAM and 160GB Hard Drives in the higher model. It is unlikely that we’ll see a dedicated graphics card in the MacBook, but an improved Intel GMA chip (such as the X3500) will be seen.

MacBook Pro

* New design, Black & Silver aluminum
* Lighter than current model
* New style backlit Apple keyboard
* Larger trackpad with “unusual” features
* Improved battery life
* Biometric fingerprint reader (May be part of the “unusual trackpad” or will be concealed in speakers)
* LED in 17 inch screens
* Core 2 Extreme Mobile (X7900) model with 2.8GHz
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT (256mb on lower model 512mb option on higher)
* SuperDrive & Option for Blu-ray (Single layer)

Helfeather

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I bought my MacBook a week and 2 days ago. I'm not considering taking it back, though. For one, it does what I need and I'm very happy with it so far. And second, I've already named it. ^_^ You can't return something you've NAMED. ^_^

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
If they change anything, I really hope it's before the Christmas holidays......

If they do, they will change before Christmas. That's the biggest opportunity for all retailers, even Apple (back to school probably has good sales too, but nothing beats Chirstmas).

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I read the 9to5 story, too. Personally, if that's the case, then I'm doubly glad I got mine now. I'd hate an external optical drive. I need to be able to toss my computer (my WHOLE) computer in my shoulder bag and be off. I don't want to be lugging around bits and pieces and cables galore. Beats the purpose of being mobile, really.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
I read the 9to5 story, too. Personally, if that's the case, then I'm doubly glad I got mine now. I'd hate an external optical drive. I need to be able to toss my computer (my WHOLE) computer in my shoulder bag and be off. I don't want to be lugging around bits and pieces and cables galore. Beats the purpose of being mobile, really.

What if they put either an express card slot or USB on the right side, and made their own external drive that plugged right into that slot, no cables needed? I'm thinking either a fold out USB plug or Express card that went flush with the Macbook. Maybe even give it a number pad on top to give it extra functionality. Quick and easy to plug in and out, and just throw in a pocket of a case.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
What if they put either an express card slot or USB on the right side, and made their own external drive that plugged right into that slot, no cables needed? I'm thinking either a fold out USB plug or Express card that went flush with the Macbook. Maybe even give it a number pad on top to give it extra functionality. Quick and easy to plug in and out, and just throw in a pocket of a case.

I dunno. I just like having it all together. I mean something as simple as the remote? While I like the idea and it's a cute trick, it's just another piece that I don't really need, you know? I like the all-in-one-ness of the laptop's typical design. My first laptop had a CD drive and a SCSI floppy. (Toshiba. Oy.) Anyway, it never failed to get on my last nerve that I had to carry a bag almost twice the size of my (8lb) laptop in order to ensure that I had all the drives, connectors, cards, media, etc. that I needed at any given time. But I'm not complaining overall. I love a laptop. I couldn't go back to full-time desktop use if I tried. ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.