Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
So you are saying that the MB should go aluminum, and MBP should go plastic?

I don't see that going over so well.

No, it doesn't have to go plastic, but it could perhaps have a slightly smaller premium. Perhaps if there was another substance of low density and high strength that didn't reduce WiFi reception. That's what I want...not that I can expect it.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
My number one desire for a MacBook update would have to be improved graphics performance and capability.

The second one would have to be a good-looking redesign, hopefully with at least a classy color option or two beyond black and white without a cot penalty (as in the case of the black MacBook).

A worthwhile price reduction would also suit me well, but is not expected.

I'm thinking a revision will come either towards the end of this year (including next month) or at the beginning of the next (particularly at MacWorld).

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
A worthwhile price reduction would also suit me well, but is not expected.

I think that aside from the Blackbook, the macbooks are pretty well priced. They have good features, good processors, and pretty good battery life mixed into a fairly small form factor. Considering what you get for the money, I'd say it's not a bad deal at all.

The one thing that gets me about the macbooks is the low end one not having a Superdrive. What is that? It's 2007, and Apple is still trying to push a notebook without a DVD burner above the thousand dollar price point. That is just wrong.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I think that aside from the Blackbook, the macbooks are pretty well priced. They have good features, good processors, and pretty good battery life mixed into a fairly small form factor. Considering what you get for the money, I'd say it's not a bad deal at all.

The one thing that gets me about the macbooks is the low end one not having a Superdrive. What is that? It's 2007, and Apple is still trying to push a notebook without a DVD burner above the thousand dollar price point. That is just wrong.

Agreed 100%. I had to buy high-end white just for the DVD burner.

Also, HDD sizes need to go up considerably.

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
yep, the thing about the superdrive is as annoying as not having fm radio or making people get new av cables and new dock thingy with new ipods

things like that make me hate apple. and others too. Except I still like so many other things about apple. why do they have to be so f.... stingy!!!

I know its about money, its a company after all, but this whole stingy thing will have to back fire eventually. Like all empires, they will get too big and then start to crumble.

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
Not sure how relevant this is, but when the leopard release date is announced, will we get free upgrades between then and release day? Maybe it would make sense to assume that when/wherever they announce the release date, theyd announce the updates to the macbook :confused:?
Maybe something at the paris expo? :confused:

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/apple_designing_collapsable_connection_receptacle_for_ultra_portable_systems.html

Apple Inc., which is expected to introduce a widescreen ultra-portable in the coming months, may compact the notebook's I/O ports into a collapsible connection receptacle on the rear of the unit in order to conserve space, a new design patent has revealed.

patent-up-port-door-1.gif

patent-up-port-door-2.gif

p33

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
All I have to say is that they better do the Mac Pro before other stuff ... nearly 13 months without a real update is ridiculous.

That's apparently plain rediculous on the one hand while, on the other, and quite unfortunately, it seems to be converting into a trend. Apple seems to be going more and more consumer (just look at the latest events and all the hype about iPods, iPhones, and stuff and you'll easily figure out the current focus), so Pro and high-end-ish stuff (or/and QC as such) might no longer be a priority...

If you look closely and critically at very many current products you'll probably see that those that used to be formaly consumer but very high quality items comapred to competitors (like plastic iMacs with their decent flat pannels) turned into something pretty average: glossy screens, no matte option, TN 20" pannel?!, dodgy 24" panel that is quite possibly inferior to its predecessor... Is that Apple way to do graphics?..

I gather that there are loads of people unhappy about the most limited amount of options available, feeling that they are being pushed towards overpriced solutions just because they want or need a matte screen, for Christ sake!

Also, I understand perfectly well the idea behind locking OSX to Apple hardware but lets face it, consumer-wise it just sucks, and it sucks big time...

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
here is another little mock-up I found

1.jpg

It is similar to what I have in mind, except I would have the entire bottom part made of Aluminum (except the keyboard keys which would be black with white lettering), and would have an aluminum boarder around the screen with an aluminum hinge joining them to add durability. The back of the screen would still be plastic (like the back of the iMac is)
And Please apple, put at least one USB port on the right side!

~Thursday

rossgumbrell

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Hove, South East England
posted this in the other macbook thread...

Well, Apple need to maintain a difference between the MBP and MB.

Im guessing...

drop one of the models and have 2 different models of MB.

Both being Silver (Al)

Model 1:
2.00Ghz SR C2D
1Gb RAM
GMA 3100 Graphics
13.3" LED Display
120Gb HDD
4x DL DVD Drive
£749

Model 2:
2.2Ghz SR C2D
2gb RAM
GMA 3100 Graphics
13.3" LED Display
160Gb HDD
8x DL DVD Drive
£949

Both models with have an online customizable options to change the colours over. These will cost £50.

Colours will be:
Blue
Green
Pink
Red
Black

Colours will apply over the keyboard and trackpad.

Thats what im hoping anyway!

:apple::apple::apple:

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Well, Apple need to maintain a difference between the MBP and MB.

Im guessing...

drop one of the models and have 2 different models of MB.

Both being Silver (Al)

Model 1:
2.00Ghz SR C2D
1Gb RAM
GMA 3100 Graphics
13.3" LED Display
120Gb HDD
4x DL DVD Drive
£749

Model 2:
2.2Ghz SR C2D
2gb RAM
GMA 3100 Graphics
13.3" LED Display
160Gb HDD
8x DL DVD Drive
£949

Both models with have an online customizable options to change the colours over. These will cost £50.

Colours will be:
Blue
Green
Pink
Red
Black

Colours will apply over the keyboard and trackpad.

Thats what im hoping anyway!

:apple::apple::apple:

I agree on everything else but the colors.
I think there won't be any other colors than white and black. Laptops are too expensive to be sold in so many colors. it's just too complicated.
Hope I'm wrong though :D

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Also, HDD sizes need to go up considerably.

I worry that this can create a sort of Monkey's Paw senario. Aren't HDs for laptops already pretty cramped (made smaller than desktop HDs)? With larger capacities, there could be an increased chance of failure, esspecially considering that notebooks are usually carted off to anywhere and everywhere. Unless of course this is all just a myth, in which case, bring on the larger HDs:D

Ken Wind

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
Hard drives are getting smaller and smaller. Usually desktop computers use 3.5" drives, notebooks 2.5" drives, and digital media players 1.8" drives, but many notebooks are now coming with 1.8" drives instead.

You have a point because there is a limit to how much space is in a hard drive, but I don't think the increase in data capacity comes from fitting more platters onto a drive, it comes from larger platter densities. It's like the difference between a CD and DVD. They are the same size (to the naked eye), but the storage capacities vary greatly.

Go here for more information on hard disk drives.

Nils47

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I hope they keep up the Black and White colors on the Macbook. I really like the white, I'm waiting for Leopard to come out... But I'm pretty scared they'll go all Alu :(

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
That mockup reminds me way to much of a Sony CR.

It would be a wise move for Apple to step away from integrated graphics altogether. Sony are now selling some of the CR models with a low end class 4 x2300 dedicated GPU. I would not be surprised if Apple were to do this also it is not even if they have not done this in the past either.

Somebody mentioned the Sony FZ earlier the FZ model does not compete with the MB really but the Sony CR does.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
MBP update

i need a 17" MBP now! but with leopard comming in < a month, should i wait:confused:. I don't think there is a higher processor speed to upgrade to, unless they introduce a 2.8 option in the 17". as for a led screen, i think the hd screen will be fine for me.
The only real influence on my waithing is the possibility of a new keyboard. Apple has not changed their keyboard designs yet in the MBP and with the new imac came the new external keyboards, but no apple remote revision.

for the holidays, a new apple remote and MBP with leopards frontrow 2 could be a real money maker. anyone else see this as a comming event ;)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
You have a point because there is a limit to how much space is in a hard drive, but I don't think the increase in data capacity comes from fitting more platters onto a drive, it comes from larger platter densities. It's like the difference between a CD and DVD. They are the same size (to the naked eye), but the storage capacities vary greatly.

Go here for more information on hard disk drives.

You have a good point about the CD/DVD difference. Hopefully we'll have Flash HDs before long. Less power consumption, faster boot times, less physical space and weight...I can dream can't I?

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
for the holidays, a new apple remote and MBP with leopards frontrow 2 could be a real money maker. anyone else see this as a comming event ;)

That is my thinking too. I have been hearing a lot of people saying that they want to wait until leopard comes out before they buy a Macbook or MBP...I think that a Macbook update to go along with Leopards release will push many people who are on the wall onto apple's side just in time for holiday season shopping :)

Nils47

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
That is my thinking too. I have been hearing a lot of people saying that they want to wait until leopard comes out before they buy a Macbook or MBP...I think that a Macbook update to go along with Leopards release will push many people who are on the wall onto apple's side just in time for holiday season shopping :)

I was thinking the same thing... I think it would be a smart move for Apple to update the Macbook right before the holidays, together with the new Ipods.

and now just wait... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.