Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2020
Since the 4670 PCIe is supported in Ubuntu/Debian/OpenSUSE, it is very likely that the AGP version also works. I actually happen to have one at home that I might test on my G5 DP (PCI-X version with AGP), will let you know if it works with those distros.

Cheers,

Most likely the case; still wished someone could build a working adapter to get a PCIE GPU working in AGP (since it's obviously been done for the 7800GS although an internal related thing). I think I read somewhere that there was at least a prototype or some kind of development happening that would have given us this kind of compatibility via an adapter but it seemed like that project just kind of stopped many years ago.

If the 4670 AGP version works without issue with hardware acceleration, then I'd be willing to get such a card for my PowerMac G4 and try it on there.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2020
Since the 4670 PCIe is supported in Ubuntu/Debian/OpenSUSE, it is very likely that the AGP version also works. I actually happen to have one at home that I might test on my G5 DP (PCI-X version with AGP), will let you know if it works with those distros.

Cheers,
How did this go?

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Alright! Thanks!
Evening @MicroTecture,

Very pleased to report that although I haven't had any luck with ppc Ubuntu live DVDs, the AGP Radeon HD4670 works perfectly under both Debian (sid 11) and OpenSUSE (Tumbleweed), both ppc64. The machine used for testing was a PM 7,3 (2x2GHz G5, PCI-X + AGP, 4 RAM slots)

I used a flashed GF 5200 PCI for the first few boot stages (to boot, the G5 does initially require a mac VGA card connected to a monitor), then switched the display to the Radeon HD.

I used Debian and OpenSuse installs from my Quad G5. The AGP Radeon HD4670 is fully accelerated under both and very snappy. glxinfo confirms direct rendering is working alright, as does glxgears which runs very smoothly. To be honest I couldn't see much difference as compared to e.g. the HD 5770 with the Quad.

Note that as with the Quad, you've got to install linux-firmware-nonfree under Debian to get PC Radeon HD cards to work. Your append should also include

Code:
radeon.modeset=1 nouveau.modeset=0

Re OpenSuse, I had to boot it using a boot CD (Adelie Linux in my case), since it appears that booting from GPT is only supported in later G5s (e.g. Quad G5 and possibly DC, essentially a stripped-down version of the Quad, and possibly the very last iMac G5 iSight). Which means, that if you do install it, you'll either have to use a boot cd to boot into it or to clone the GPT partitions to an Apple-partitioned hard drive following install.

To boot it from a boot CD, you would have to type c when reaching grub, then

Code:
root=(ieee1275/ultra<X>,gpt<Y>)
linux=/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb<Z> radeon.modeset=1 nouveau.modeset=0
initrd=/boot/initrd
boot

where <X> is either 0 or 1 depending on whether you're using the top HD bay (0) or the bottom one (1), <Y> is your boot partition, and <Z> is your root partition

As for Ubuntu, I couldn't get it to work for the life of me, as none of the flavours I tried resulted in me reaching the desktop, although the card appears to be correctly initialised, as in both the boot messages and splash screen get rendered. However upon where I should have been reaching the desktop, I am invariably greeted with a black screen. I tried with Mate 14.04, Lubuntu 14.04 as well as Mate 16.04 live DVDs. I however believe it might just be a matter of tweaking the append line once installed with a mac/flashed PC PCI VGA card. Adding

Code:
 video=offb:off video=radeonfb:off video=nouveaufb:off radeon.agpmode=1 pci=realloc radeon.dpm=0

to

Code:
radeon.modeset=1 nouveau.modeset=0

was to no avail. However, there are probably further options to explore. But frankly even 16.04 is now a bit outdated and pales in comparison to the latest versions of Debian and OpenSuse.

So the take-home message is that you're probably safe to go ahead and get a hold of an AGP Radeon HD 4670 (or 4650, same chip with lower frequencies), at least as far as Debian and OpenSuse are concerned.

Enjoy and do let us know how you get on!

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_014840.jpg
    IMG_20220326_014840.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20220326_015603.jpg
    IMG_20220326_015603.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220326_015924.jpg
    IMG_20220326_015924.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220326_020247.jpg
    IMG_20220326_020247.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20220326_020530.jpg
    IMG_20220326_020530.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20220326_020601.jpg
    IMG_20220326_020601.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
What is the best AGP AMD/ATI GPU that can be put in a PowerMac G4? What's the newest that can be put in these machines? I have interest in trying a Linux PPC port with better hardware acceleration and performance.
I have Radeon HD 3450 in my MDD. The card works fine on Debian 10 and 11. It doesn't need any additional steps apart from replacing the mac card with a pc after installation (os and ati firmware) and voilá :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1648289712057.jpg
    FB_IMG_1648289712057.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: pc297

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I have Radeon HD 3450 in my MDD. The card works fine on Debian 10 and 11. It doesn't need any additional steps apart from replacing the mac card with a pc after installation (os and ati firmware) and voilá :)
Very cool, you didn't need to install linux-firmware-nonfree then? It boots without a dedicated PCI mac card? As for the append line, I've also noticed that it is probably not needed as Debian/OpenSuse/Ubuntu will usually tend to default to the radeon card. The one advantage that AMD cards ≥ HD4XXX have is that OpenCL is supported.

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
One question. HOW..? Can you please make some kind of manual step-by-step?
See there

You basically install Tumbleweed, then you have to make an Apple boot partition out of the PReP partition and copy grub, grub.cfg and create a CHRP file (ofboot.b) there that points to your boot partition (e.g. boot ultra0:1,grub) if you want it to be visible in the boot picker.

Note that if you are installing on anything prior to a DC G5 and possibly iMac G5 iSight you will need to clone your partitions onto an Apple-partitioned drive as earlier G5s and all 601/603/G3/G4 PowerMacs do not support booting from GPT, which is the only available install option in OpenSuse Tumbleweed. Can't speak for earlier versions (e.g. 13.XX) though.

Last edited:

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2020
Has anyone tested h.264 video acceleration with these modern GPUs? I was thinking there was a potential for a better YouTube situation with h.264 support with the newer cards without much hassle under PPC Linux.

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Has anyone tested h.264 video acceleration with these modern GPUs? I was thinking there was a potential for a better YouTube situation with h.264 support with the newer cards without much hassle under PPC Linux.

YouTube works perfectly with firefox 79 and 86 with those GPUs under OpenSuse and Debian, respectively. At full HD resolution, that is. I've been using 86 to stream videos for a while now and am pretty happy with it.

The main drawback of firefox 86 is that colours are all garbled up for many images (but not videos) due to an endianness bug that was only fully solved for 52.9.0esr by powerprogress. Alas YouTube doesn't work on 52.9.0esr, at least in my hands.

The endianness bug was also mostly solved for 79 under OpenSuse but several streaming sites do not work with it (e.g. dailymotion, streamlord), but it works reasonably well with YouTube. Obviously it only runs on OpenSuse, I attempted to make a deb package out of it using alien but while it works, the endianness bug is there, so there must be other dependencies at work here.

I also find that ArcticFox and SpiderWeb do not play YouTube videos well at all (unlike firefox 79 or 86), especially at higher resolutions, much like TenFourFox under OSX.

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
So where can you obtain a copy of this ISO. Is 5.1 the latest? As seems to be the case with my particular G5, it didn't boot from a USB and the DVD I burned wouldn't boot either. In fact when booting into Sorbet Leopard, the DVD didn't even appear on the desktop. The USB did however. I may put a different DVD drive in to see if the drive isn't the problem. It seems to work ok with other DVDs but I would really like to get Fienix on this G5.

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Hey @wicknix, That's the iso I downloaded but I'll try again with this ISO. I used Etcher to write it to a USB drive but I've had extremely limited success booting this G5 from a USB. I "burned" the ISO to a DVD using the slowest speed possible in hopes that the G5 would read it but, no luck. The DVD drive does work, but the DVD I burned doesn't boot, doesn't show up when holding the option key, or even on the desk top. I didn't burn it on the G5, I think I'll try that next. Thanks for the info. (Macbuntu Remix runs just fine on this G5)

Reactions: wicknix

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Have been to the FB page. I have been able to install Fienix 5.1 on a G4, Quicksilver. This G4 has an Nvidia GeForce4 MX GPU. It’s an 867Mhx machine with 1 GB RAM. The install is on a 160 GB HD. As has happened with most of the Linux installs, I boot to a blank screen with a flashing cursor and access to terminal screens. I have yet to figure out how to get to a GUI on this machine. I updated xorg.conf per guidance on the FB page but no joy. Any help going from the terminal to a GUI would be appreciated.

In order to boot (to the terminal) I have to enter the following boot command:

Linux nouveau.modeset=0 video=Nvidiafb: 1680x1050-16
or
Linux nouveau.modesetting=0

Either will get me to a screen where I can get to a terminal.
Thanks,
MacMav

dreadone

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2017
Germany
I don´t have a g4. Maybe this can help:

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
I don´t have a g4. Maybe this can help:
Went to this site and found the “Fienix-GPU-bandage” information. Tried it but “package not found”.Tried to do an apt-get-update and Fienix server couldn’t be found. Is there a terminal entry I can make to see if my LAN/Ethernet is actually connected to the web? I show activity on the rounter but not sure if I’m really connected to the internet.

killinmilk

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2022
I just registered to say thank you for the great work done.
I have a ibook g4 running smoothly with debian 11, not great for browsing but for writing distraction-free with LaTeX is a great machine.
by the way, are there any plans to add to the distributions list an updated link for debian 11.3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.