Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
Yes the iBook had two graphics variants depending on the date of the model you have…they either were the radeon 9200 and or the radeon 9550….you need to have “Linux radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modeset=1 video=offb::eek:ff no splash” it needs to be entered exactly as you see in the quotes including the letter l in linux….it needs to be uppercase…if it still freezes take off the video=offb::eek:ff and just do the modeset, agpmode and the nosplash…I find on mine leaving offb::eek:ff leads to less lockups….and leave the quotations out as well. Good luck!

I set /etc/default/grub as this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modset=1 video=offb : off (without the spaces) nosplash" , rebuilt the grub.cfg file and did some “crash testing” browsing with Arctic Fox but it froze after ~20 second.

So I took out the video=offb : off with the same outcome.

Perhaps is something related to grub? How do I install yaboot if it is indeed a grub issue?

Last edited:

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
I set /etc/default/grub as this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modset=1 video=offb : off (without the spaces) nosplash" , rebuilt the grub.cfg file and did some “crash testing” browsing with Arctic Fox but it froze after ~20 second.

So I took out the video=offb : off with the same outcome.

Perhaps is something related to grub? How do I install yaboot if it is indeed a grub issue
It has nothing to do with the bootloader all its doing is launching the kernel which is Linux…make sure there is no spaces between offb : off you have spaces in the above response and on top of that you still need to add Linux it is important Capital Linux and then the agpmode, modeset and no splash…you can also try it by typing it out at boot before making modifications to your config file to test and there would be no need to reconfigure or update anything until you find a combination that works for your machine…now I will say the iBooks with Radeon 9200 actually had massive video issues and a repair program had been issued along with a battery recall in 2005 when apple was offering free out of warranty repairs and battery swaps…if you notice it starts out ok and as you start using it and it heats up notice it starts locking up may actually be a video chip failure/chip creek from the prolonged heat exposure after almost 20 years….my Mac mini unfortunately has this issue and for about 35-40 minutes it’s absolutely fine and as it’s getting toasty the screen starts glitching and locks up and or kernel panics if I’m booted in Mac OS…you can download the apple service diagnostic discs which because of the recall program also introduced the ability for techs/Geniusbar to test the graphics chip…maybe worth downloading and trying to run a diagnostic on it.

Last edited:

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
I added “Linux” before all the other parameters and now it seems that it doesn’t freeze anymore. I didn’t thought that it needed to be added, my bad.
if you notice it starts out ok and as you start using it and it heats up notice it starts locking up may actually be a video chip failure/chip creek from the prolonged heat exposure after almost 20 years…

I’ll pay attention to any excess heat, thanks for warning me. Even though this iBook has a 9550, not a 9200, but we’re still talking about ~18 y/o tech…

Update: nope, it still crashed… Fine, configuring yaboot can’t be that hard right?

Last edited:

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
I added “Linux” before all the other parameters and now it seems that it doesn’t freeze anymore. I didn’t thought that it needed to be added, my bad.

I’ll pay attention to any excess heat, thanks for warning me. Even though this iBook has a 9550, not a 9200, but we’re still talking about ~18 y/o tech…

Update: nope, it still crashed… Fine, configuring yaboot can’t be that hard right?
Btw, just for fun, I decided to run Debian with the stock 512MB of ram (my iBook currently has 512 of stock ram + a 512mb module) and it actually didn’t froze. I was able to browse the internet and download a wallpaper without any major problem (the ram remained at a comfy ~300MB of usage), so maybe it’s not video-card issue but a RAM issue?

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023

Yaboot isn't going to do anything at all. Yaboot and Grub are there to begin the boot process. The kernel handles the hardware and sleep, etc. Grub and Yaboot have nothing to do with the system lockups, as it's all handled by the kernel. It can very likely be RAM. During the install process, you want to create a third partition for something called swap. A swap partition is a portion of your hard drive used when you run out of RAM. Basically, think of it as additional RAM but using the hard disk. Physical RAM is always going to be faster, and the swap RAM is used to store active programs that are idle or not being utilized at that point, moving them back into RAM if the program or service is activated. In other words, if that partition was never created, Linux will still boot and work. But if it runs out of RAM, instead of bogging down or slowing down using the much slower swap memory, it will look at all active and inactive processes in RAM, start killing less important services, and eventually critical services, causing the system to lock up and crash. Swap partitions were made to help solve that problem. Debian, by default, does not automatically create that swap partition, if I remember correctly. Sorry for the wall of text; I just wanted to explain it if others come here asking the same question. Cheers!

Last edited:

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
Yaboot isn't going to do anything at all. Yaboot and Grub are there to begin the boot process. The kernel handles the hardware and sleep, etc. Grub and Yaboot have nothing to do with the system lockups, as it's all handled by the kernel. It can very likely be RAM. During the install process, you want to create a third partition for something called swap. A swap partition is a portion of your hard drive used when you run out of RAM. Basically, think of it as additional RAM but using the hard disk. Physical RAM is always going to be faster, and the swap RAM is used to store active programs that are idle or not being utilized at that point, moving them back into RAM if the program or service is activated. In other words, if that partition was never created, Linux will still boot and work. But if it runs out of RAM, instead of bogging down or slowing down using the much slower swap memory, it will look at all active and inactive processes in RAM, start killing less important services, and eventually critical services, causing the system to lock up and crash. Swap partitions were made to help solve that problem. Debian, by default, does not automatically create that swap partition, if I remember correctly. Sorry for the wall of text; I just wanted to explain it if others come here asking the same question. Cheers!
No need to excuse yourself.

I already have a swap partition of 1gb so I think that it’s fine.

I’ll play around more with 512mb of ram + swap to see if it keeps freezing, and eventually do a ram check or upgrade altogether.

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
Okay, my results are back and no it is not a memory issue.

One thing I remember is that I tried other Linux distro on that machine, but after setting the boot parameters they didn’t froze up. Could be something about the kernel version that’s too new? I tried Kompiling(TM) a version of Linux 3.19 and 2.6 but I was unable to because it couldn’t find some headers files (compiler-gcc{13}.h).

I tried installing everything about gcc13 but failed since the repositories are borked. What to do now?

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
Guys i tried everything.
I Want to install Debian 12.0.0 Alpha netinsta.iso
It is the only one that will Boot in my Powermac g5 Quad. When i use default install it turnd into a white screen and „smp_core99_bringup_done“

I have the Nvidia 6600 stock gpu in my Powermac but i have an unflashed Nvidia Quadro FX4500.
Any ideas how to fix that

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Guys i tried everything.
I Want to install Debian 12.0.0 Alpha netinsta.iso
It is the only one that will Boot in my Powermac g5 Quad. When i use default install it turnd into a white screen and „smp_core99_bringup_done“

I have the Nvidia 6600 stock gpu in my Powermac but i have an unflashed Nvidia Quadro FX4500.
Any ideas how to fix that
Maybe having two nvidia cards confuses the nouveau driver? I could never get it to work under Debian anyway (with a flashed GF 7800 GTX 512Mb that is, although it works fine under OpenSUSE even under Gnome/Wayland albeit a tad slow), even though there are some things you could try such as the following append:

Code:
video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:off video=radeonfb:off nouveau.modeset=1 radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 pci=realloc

If that fails maybe try with a radeon card (any radeon HD will be enough to render Gnome/Wayland) with the following append (this is what works for me with an unfleshed Radeon HD 5770 as the primary graphics card and the GF 7800 GTX 512Mb for boot-up):

Code:
video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:off video=radeonfb:off nouveau.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.dpm=0 pci=realloc

Good luck!

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
Maybe having two nvidia cards confuses the nouveau driver? I could never get it to work under Debian anyway (with a flashed GF 7800 GTX 512Mb that is, although it works fine under OpenSUSE even under Gnome/Wayland albeit a tad slow), even though there are some things you could try such as the following append:

Code:
video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:off video=radeonfb:off nouveau.modeset=1 radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 pci=realloc

If that fails maybe try with a radeon card (any radeon HD will be enough to render Gnome/Wayland) with the following append (this is what works for me with an unfleshed Radeon HD 5770 as the primary graphics card and the GF 7800 GTX 512Mb for boot-up):

Code:
video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:off video=radeonfb:off nouveau.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.dpm=0 pci=realloc

Good luck!
no this is not correct…there is currently and issue effecting g5 ability to boot you have to use the snapshot image from june located here and for information refer to here…we are working on it should be fixed soon.

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
also be aware that there is a transition going on to rebuild all packages to fix the 2038 bug that effects ALL 32-bit installations….so your mileage may very until the transitions complete…updated status will be posted here….this goes for everyone…DO NOT UPDATE until you see status complete…theres a bunch of people thats been flooding chat because there not reading the current status. hope this helps :) feel free to dm if you have any other questions!

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
yes thats what everyone in the debian irc has been sayingggg “hmmmmmmm” because its literally posted all over debian's pages and the headers in irc but its not stoping people from asking lol so I figured id post it here because if you look at the message lists it is literally pages of the same question lol

The developer who maintains the powerpc port in Germany has been responding giving the same response that the issue being worked on

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
it is 64-bit I was posting the 32 bit side because the mailing lists and chat are being bombed by the same questions…there is known install issues both 32 and 64 two issues are different there just effecting both at the same time…if you click the link debians page it will explain everything. good luck!

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
So i dont get it. Im really sorry im not into Linux. It is my First linux experince. I didnt find any clear step By step Information how to install Debian 12 on my G5 Quad. I just have a CD-R with 700mb. There are so Many linux .iso versions .
So as i read i need the 12.0.0 June 2023 Version netinsta.iso. And this will work with my GeForce 6600? Is this Right?

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
no its ok lol…dont be sorry you have nothing to be sorry for…grab the netinstall for ppc64 and burn it to a cd and boot like normal by pressing C…its the same boot process your just using an older known snapshot is all

Reactions: Mercedes33

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
no its ok lol…dont be sorry you have nothing to be sorry for…grab the netinstall for ppc64 and burn it to a cd and boot like normal by pressing C…its the same boot process your just using an older known snapshot is all
Okey i try this when im at Home. But sometimes my Powermac dont regonize the disk. It says „load size to small“ and when i try to boot with boot cd;\\ tbxi or something Else it says it cant find this

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
@Tankerthebuberz the snapshot u send here is working BUT when i press c and is click on default installer. it says loading and then it want to start linux. but it stops . then it says invaild memory accsess at x and then thousend numbers.then the terminal opens and the computer is stuck, i have to manually turn off the powermac g5 what can i do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.