Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the S24 Ultra. Having the Fold 4, Flip 5, and iPhone 13 mini, I would really like a great camera. So far, the S24 U looks great!

Reactions: Ludatyk and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The rumored new colors look good!

ee0469a80fb33e21fb7303ed85f85cd4.jpg

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
The rumored new colors look good!

ee0469a80fb33e21fb7303ed85f85cd4.jpg
It's already taking every ounce of resistance to not buy a Pixel 8 Pro. Trying so hard to use just one phone. I may not survive black Friday. Loving what I'm reading about the S24 series as well. My office PC is in need of an upgrade and I am very interested in seeing whether I can get away with using an S24+ in Dex mode with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, wireless scanning and printing, and MS OneDrive to share files between the office "PC" (the S24) and a cloud server I'd set up and log in to remotely.

I have a wild business fantasy of being able to run everything from a phone, take it everywhere and using a portable LCD screen when traveling as my "PC".

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's already taking every ounce of resistance to not buy a Pixel 8 Pro. Trying so hard to use just one phone. I may not survive black Friday. Loving what I'm reading about the S24 series as well. My office PC is in need of an upgrade and I am very interested in seeing whether I can get away with using an S24+ in Dex mode with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, wireless scanning and printing, and MS OneDrive to share files between the office "PC" (the S24) and a cloud server I'd set up and log in to remotely.

I have a wild business fantasy of being able to run everything from a phone, take it everywhere and using a portable LCD screen when traveling as my "PC".
That would be amazing! Imagine being truly mobile with that setup! I wish you luck! Please keep us informed of how this goes! Dex is one of those great features Samsung has over the Apple IMHO.

Reactions: Ludatyk and Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
That would be amazing! Imagine being truly mobile with that setup! I wish you luck! Please keep us informed of how this goes! Dex is one of those great features Samsung has over the Apple IMHO.
It seems like a pipe dream but when going over the process in my head it also seems really feasible. I'm watching Floss review of the S23 FE. Versus getting a regular S23. Looks like a great way to test this out, and then take advantage of Samsung's pre-order deals on the S24 in a few months.

Reactions: jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
yeah me too...would match my 15 PM titanium :)

I wish I went NT but will just get it next year lol I like the blue but do think NT looks better so I hope it sticks around which I imagine it will

S24 ultra grey is what I will order for sure I think. I think it will be most popular too

Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I really hope Samsung doesn't use Titanium in the s24.

Aluminum armor is already a superior product and is cheaper.

Titanium is a great metal for certain uses but a phone frame is not one of them. It is too rigid and will transfer all the shock from a drop from the frame to the glass. You will get less frame damage but the glass unless there is some shock system will break. Aluminum is extremely durable but it will also bend and give like steel and absorb some of the impact from a drop.

Titanium adds considerable cost with no benefits. It is not lighter than aluminum so there is no weight benefit.

The Apple marketing engine is super strong with Titanium.

Let's hope Samsung doesn't give in because if they do the ultra will crack like an egg if dropped. Plus it will make it even more expensive than it already is. And we are not getting any benefits for the extra costs.

On top of all that the Titanium frame will be more susceptible to scratches than Aluminum Armor.

The S24 ultra is looking to be a great phone but I just hope Samsung doesn't copy Apple's use of Titanium.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Titanium is a great metal for certain uses but a phone frame is not one of them. It is too rigid and will transfer all the shock from a drop from the frame to the glass. You will get less frame damage but the glass unless there is some shock system will break. Aluminum is extremely durable but it will also bend and give like steel and absorb some of the impact from a drop.

Titanium adds considerable cost with no benefits. It is not lighter than aluminum so there is no weight benefit.

Let's hope Samsung doesn't give in because if they do the ultra will crack like an egg if dropped. Plus it will make it even more expensive than it already is. And we are not getting any benefits for the extra costs.

On top of all that the Titanium frame will be more susceptible to scratches than Aluminum Armor.

The S24 ultra is looking to be a great phone but I just hope Samsung doesn't copy Apple's use of Titanium.

"glasstic" on the ordinary Galaxy S21 was one of my favourite Samsung original material even though disliked by some

super light-weight, no fingerprints, no scratches, almost shatterproof

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
"glastic" on the ordinary Galaxy S21 was one of my favourite Samsung original material even though disliked by some

super light-weight, no fingerprints, no scratches, almost shatterproof
I completely agree. I get that glass is more environmentally friendly but the glasstic was much tougher and lighter but it was more prone to scratches than Gorilla glass.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I wholeheartedly agree!

Aluminum Armour all the way!

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I wholeheartedly agree!

Aluminum Armour all the way!
I don't see how Samsung could absorb the cost of the Titanium frame if it is 5 times as much as Aluminum armor. So I would expect the Ultra to go up by at least another $100 and maybe more and that is just for a frame that actually doesn't give us any benefit??

I would love a Galaxy s24 ultra FE with a glasstic back, and aluminum armor with all other specs the same as the Titanium ultra starting at $1k. I can wish can't I. 😂 Lol

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't see how Samsung could absorb the cost of the Titanium frame if it is 5 times as much as Aluminum armor. So I would expect the Ultra to go up by at least another $100 and maybe more and that is just for a frame that actually doesn't give us any benefit??

I would love a Galaxy s24 ultra FE with a glasstic back, and aluminum armor with all other specs the same as the Titanium ultra starting at $1k. I can wish can't I. 😂 Lol
I am in agreement, not in debate.

I do not want titanium in a smartphone. It's all marketing and revenue with absolutely no benefit as proven (and 1st hand experience with the iPhone 15 Pro).

I'm glad Apple made that choice, as it solidified mine in switching fully to Android & Samsung, along with other issues I've experienced and mentioned weeks ago in the S23 thread. Initially the switch wasn't easy, but with reading and help it was so much sweeter! Next up is the Galaxy Qatch 6 Classic, as I feel Samsung's advancement in sensors and features in the software has finally matched my 7yr previous experience with Apple's watch. I'm going to bet that the next Gaalxy Pro watch will seriously outpace Apple's and hopefully even at a $50-100 cheaper retail price, on top of great trade-in deals.

Reactions: Technerd108

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The S24 is due to be released January. But the S23 Android 14 release is out in the UK. But nothing in the US yet.
Is that what you meant?

S24 series to be released January 17TH/18TH (Wed/Thurs).
OneUI 6 the Samsung UX layer on top of Android 14 has been released in UK and eastern continents as reportedly 'Stable' release BUT has been found to have new BUGS hence why its not being released worldwide yet.

I still consider this Beta or next in the development stage (release candidate) but not fully golden master just yet. The fact its being reported as 'stable' release tells me its still a beta. Getting sources from youtuber accounts that rapidly keep releasing quicky videos to show you the UX (OneUI 6) without fully showing you a device running 5.1 and updated to 6.x and not telling you where their device is sourced ... is NOT a good source (Public Enemy's "Don't Believe The Hype" spoken by Flava_Fav comes to mind). Always go from the horse's mouth so to speak.

always. ;)
PS: part of the confusion is Samsung's fault directly.

Samsung UK's site : https://www.samsung.com/uk/one-ui/

specifics: I'm in Canada, and on Samsung Members, so the moment I select that link I'm redirected to the CA site - so I cannot FULLY verify UK has this released. Anyone in the UK and on Samsung Members can select that link to find the specific details of release please?

1699275136263.png

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I have the iPhone 15 PM and mostly use it without a case. I haven't had any scratches on the titanium frame.
I like it over some other shiny reflective material to be honest here. I think it adds a sense of flare and just something different.
Then to be honest here as most people know it takes at about 24 months of product design and planning to bring a smartphone to market. These types of changes are in channel for months or years before they can be found on a smartphone. Not only that but just procurement of these materials doesn't happen overnight. This has to to planned for years. So Samsung didn't copy Apple with titanium. They had this planned for months or years for it to come to fruition on the end product. Procuring the materials and getting the supplier and signing contracts is not something that could have happened just because Apple did it in September.
Then my 15PM (221 grams) is lighter than my 14PM (240 grams) was.

Last edited:
Reactions: yui4 and Ludatyk

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
S24 series to be released January 17TH/18TH (Wed/Thurs).
OneUI 6 the Samsung UX layer on top of Android 14 has been released in UK and eastern continents as reportedly 'Stable' release BUT has been found to have new BUGS hence why its not being released worldwide yet.

I still consider this Beta or next in the development stage (release candidate) but not fully golden master just yet. The fact its being reported as 'stable' release tells me its still a beta. Getting sources from youtuber accounts that rapidly keep releasing quicky videos to show you the UX (OneUI 6) without fully showing you a device running 5.1 and updated to 6.x and not telling you where their device is sourced ... is NOT a good source (Public Enemy's "Don't Believe The Hype" spoken by Flava_Fav comes to mind). Always go from the horse's mouth so to speak.

always. ;)
PS: part of the confusion is Samsung's fault directly.

Samsung UK's site : https://www.samsung.com/uk/one-ui/

specifics: I'm in Canada, and on Samsung Members, so the moment I select that link I'm redirected to the CA site - so I cannot FULLY verify UK has this released. Anyone in the UK and on Samsung Members can select that link to find the specific details of release please?

View attachment 2307993
I am on different forums. Over at Android Central there are a lot of people outside of the US (mostly UK) that have already had the 14 update. They didn't have to go through the Members app to get it. They were either notified of the software update through normal procedures or they checked through software update in settings.

How is it Samsung's fault if you are redirected to your own countries Members site? Why would you NOT be directed to your countries site for the most accurate information?

Samsung’s Android 14-based One UI 6 update is leaving beta on the Galaxy S23 in Europe, users in the region are reporting. Across X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, and Reddit, people are seeing the update roll out in countries including the UK, France, Germany, Poland, Spain, and Portugal. While many are updating from the beta version of One UI 6, some are receiving a larger 3GB patch to update from the stable version of One UI 5.1.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The latest rumours are saying Samsung are going to be using Ai heavily on the 24 Ultra. I wonder if this is in an attempt to compete with Google after what they announced with the Pixel 8 range.

I’m hoping Samsung don’t change the design too much since it already looks great. Rumours of a yellow and Violet colour sound great also.

I really hope that Samsung DONT bring Exynos back for those of us in Europe!! If they stick with Snapdragon, I’ll be happy.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The latest rumours are saying Samsung are going to be using Ai heavily on the 24 Ultra. I wonder if this is in an attempt to compete with Google after what they announced with the Pixel 8 range.

I’m hoping Samsung don’t change the design too much since it already looks great. Rumours of a yellow and Violet colour sound great also.

I really hope that Samsung DONT bring Exynos back for those of us in Europe!! If they stick with Snapdragon, I’ll be happy.

Exynos will be on S24/S24 plus it seems

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
But the Ultra gets Snapdragon? I also want to see what they are going to do with the camera in order to beat the iPhone 15.
Yeah would appear so.

Sensors sound same apart from 50mp bigger sensor for 5x. i imagine they will do alot of the improvement in Al and gen 3 image processing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.